Rpgs

+
Crimson Ice said:
I suppose that appraisal really depends on what you're looking to get out of an RPG. These titles fall into the action RPG category, but that doesn't mean they cease being RPG's altogether.As a second opinion, I have played and enjoyed all these games (to varying extents), along with deeper RP experiences like Baldur's Gate and KOTOR. Both traditional RPGs and action RPGs have their good points and bad points, and your preference will largely be dictated by what you want out of your RPG.(...)Anyhow, that's just my two cents worth, making sure there's an alternate opinion so that people don't think all those games suck outright.
Agreed. Actually, I wouldn't express my thoughts better.It is always same problem with applying labels to certain products. For some, it's this very genre, for others - something completely different. There's this discussion on the Polish forum going on and on, whether nu metal is still metal, which features make it what it is. It's practically impossible to say something definite.That is why I'd rather not base my opinion on someone else's experience, I prefer to check something out myself.For the record: for me, neither Diablo 2 nor Dungeon Siege sucks

well i agree with crimson ice, but all in all if you guys want REAL RPG's - according to their author's and inventors of the genre then you want to end up playing Pencil and Paper Dungeons and Dragons... get the players guide, the dungeon master hand book, and get a couple of friends together... THEN and ONLY then michael will you get a real RPG expierence, so for the mean time be content with what you can try to classify as an RPG. the orginal consumer role playing games are from D&D PERIOD

Paper and Pen RPGs are RPGs indeed, however they are not the only kind. There are also Live Action RPGs which are lots of fun.As far as computer ones, I consider only certain games to be true RPGs. These are the games that offer character development. In that sense Baldur's Gate and Deus Ex are RPGs, while Diablo and Doom* are not.*I know Doom is not advertised as an RPG. But it is no different than Diablo.Did you know that it is possible to pass Deus Ex without killing a single NPC? Diablo (Guild Wars, Dungeon Siege, Doom, Quake) on the other hand is a game where you click on all of the animations on the screen until they stop moving. The motivation is also very much primal. You kill monsters to get better weapons to kill bigger monsters to get even bigger weapons to kill even bugger monsters....

Getting bigger gun is also some kind of development, I guess :). The improve that computers brought into RPGs is that all the mechanics, throws, modifiers etc, are calculated instantly, no need to bother about it, and come one some paper and pen systems rules are just overloaded with factors. :) Not to mention that you can receive much more realism (without even noticing it while playing) if a computer RPG engine and mechanics are well designed and complex.

These are the games that offer character development
that sounds reasonable, and Funky Monk's theory about bigger guns...Man, do you know a game called Crimsonland?)I think it can be called RPG, and if we will look that way - it's awesome!So much fun and action ;-) And so much skills to learn too -)

If possible, I would suggest you go get yourself Planescape: Torment. A really old RPG, but its the best one I've ever played, clearly outmatching the KotOR games aswell as Deus Ex and Baldurs Gate. Sadly, it is a bit hard to get a hold on, didnt make that many copies of it...

Nightsorrow said:
If possible, I would suggest you go get yourself Planescape: Torment. A really old RPG, but its the best one I've ever played, clearly outmatching the KotOR games aswell as Deus Ex and Baldurs Gate. Sadly, it is a bit hard to get a hold on, didnt make that many copies of it...
Oh yes. That is trully a great RPG. Old but with really deep and involving story. And this is most important for me while playing RPGs.

I'll add my praise to Planescape: Torment as well!! One of my all time faves. Although it doesn't seem that hard to get a hold of in the US, in my opinion. At least you can get it without any fuss through Amazon. That is what I did when I decided to pick it up again.

Nightsorrow said:
Planescape: Torment. Sadly, it is a bit hard to get a hold on, didnt make that many copies of it...
As far as I remember, it was added couple months ago to one of the German magazines.

New here so first post, but after seeing how the Bioware forum changed since the release of NWN and their foray onto consoles I never thought that there be one location with so many people who have played a lot of the classic CRPG's like Fallout and Planescape.As for the topic creator Dark Messiah is in a way more of an FPS with swords and magic rather than an RPG, if you liked that I would strongly suggest that you play FEAR as it is one of the most intense and scariest shooters I have played, with a great story to with some predictable and not so predictable twists. One thing for RPG's that I would suggest is that you download the computer versions of games such as Final Fantasy VII and VIII, or just buy a Play Station 2 as a used one goes for less than $50. A lot of people will say they are to linear or don't allow role-playing but their main story is superior to games like Baldur's Gate II and KOTOR, after playing them you will meet the games big twist with a sort of indifference. The musical score is also vastly batter.As for Planescape Torment it is one of the best RPG's I have ever played, but if you dislike reading tons and tons of well written dialogue and not seeing much action than I would strongly not recommend for you to purchase that game.

Tenser said:
Duh, I have currently "in work":The Fall - RPG; bad interface, otherwise nice (haven't played it too much yet however)There is also "Gothic 3" but I'm a Gothic-hater and I couldn't bring myself to try it out yet.
Lucky, I've been waiting for an English version of the Fall for so long, it seems it'll never come out now. Heck, I just want a dang decent new Post-apoc setting rpg, but those seem to be few and very very far inbetween. Also why hate on Gothic?IMO Gothic I and II were two of the best rpgs to come out in the past decade. For it's time with Gothic I the npc interaction/schedules hadn't really been done that much in games and it made the world feel quite alive. The mature atmosphere/setting as well as the ability for player skill to have an affect on the combat made them very enjoyable to me. Haven't picked up Gothic III yet as the demo made my machine crawl and beg for mercy. As far as newer rpgs go, I'm enjoying NWN2 at the moment (it's funny that it runs smooth for me at high textures/few normal settings(shadows, etc)...compared to most that it doesn't do so well. It's fun to me, but so far it's quite "cliche" and not really anything new. The last rpg I played that really grabbed me was Also Vampire: TMB. I loved the atmosphere of that game and some of the missions were very well done. However I lost my save (formatting) and never did finish the game. I still have it but haven't brought myself to going back through it, I tend to do that quite a bit with games. Speaking of The elder scrolls, I loveeed daggerfall. Played Morrowind and enjoyed it a bit, however imo Bethseda is an example of a company who will turn their backs on their own lore/setting and self-censor it in order to slide under the radar for a lower rating. Daggerfall was a mature feeling rpg that felt like it was made for adults, but both Morrowind and Oblivion felt like a watered down "disney" version of their own lore. There are even blatant cover-ups in-game of lore from the past (in-game books/novels) that they leave out and put in some crap about "The Tamriel blah blah censor" or something another because the books were graphic/humours (going into details about sexaul things/themes, etc).For me, a couple of things I would love to see more in rpgs in general:1. A mature setting/atmosphere. I am and adult and I would like a world to play in that actually feels like a real uncensored setting, I don't mean throwing nudity/gore at it for no reason, but mature in the sense that that mature themes exist throughout the world and can happen.Like for instance:Good Mature:FalloutDaggerfallGothicBad:Bmx xxxThat's one of the things that draws me into the witcher, the mature setting/atmosphere that the world built around it is along with the story that's wrapped in multiple paths/choices that can affect other things.

I hope I don't get shunned for saying this, but some Hentai games are actually pretty good RPGs if you look at them this way. =)

Well maybe its not RPG, but did someone here play the Legacy Of Kain series? For example Soul Reaver or Defiance? It is a story based game (althoug the story was made up for the game) and I think it has many things, which the Witcher should have also.First of all - story and atmosphere. For me this elements are the most critical. This things are the ones that keep you playing the game, just to find out what happens next, what will happen, and that let you enjoy all the little things in the game, that actually makes you like some characters and hate others. Legacy of Kain for me is the leader in this. Music and voice talent - You can see some of the LOK outtakes (i recommend you do, they are fun) on youtube. The voices were perfectly chosen for the characters, and I mean it. And the music ofcourse - first class. The music in Witcher IMO seems to be great as well! Thats a very good sign! I very liked the begining of the graphics presentation, when they showed us the sunrise. It composed with the music perfectly.Characters - I think I dont have to write anything about this. Interesting characters make you enjoy the game so much better.

a well-done rpg is : Kult heretic kingdoms:)it is not that new but it's quite interestin and can bring you for couple of hours in front of your pc:)try it:)

I never liked so-called RPGs like Diablo, Sacred or Dungeon Siege.I agreed that you have to get use to your character(s) somehow in the game. Maybe that´s why I liked games like BG, Fallout and even FF VII and VIII.Anyway, what do you think about Oblivion. I played it for a couple of hours but I didn´t enjoy it much. I think it´s beautifully designed world, which looks like living, but it hasn´t good gameplay. The storyline is poor and uninteresting too. Also it is too similar to Morrowind (even the physics is such weird ). And on the top of it´s killing time a lot.Maybe I expected too much, but I must say it didn´t interested me.

I suppose for me it really depends on my mood. Some days I'll feel like a very focused and well-told story, whereas some days I just want to explore a world, loot some dungeons, and do what I please.There is certainly a greated degree of freedom to roleplay as you want to in RPGs like Oblivion, but that comes at the expense of the integrity of the story.

The Legacy of Kain had the best storyline ever.none game has that kind of story(a story that catches you)The music inngame is awesome(search for Ozar Midrashim) and the voice acting is the best.Look for my Gerald vs Kain thread in fan art section ;D

Have searched for this topic so if it is out there sorry. Has anyone got any suggestions as what to play next. Enjoyed the witcher so much have played it to death.Enjoy this type of game have completed Oblivion, Baldurs gate etc. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom