Rpgs

+
petestar1969 said:
petestar1969 said:
petestar1969 said:
petestar1969 said:
Personally, I'm looking forward to the debut of Spore.
Yeah, if it ever happens
I actually canceled my pre-order of Spore because of the draconian copy protection that's going to be coming with it -- it's getting to where gamers don't actually own the game, even once we've bought it. I have never stolen a game; harass the pirates, not me!
I don't understand the fuss about the copy protection on Spore or Mass Effect. I buy games, install them, play till I'm bored then uninstall.At most I will need to install on three machines when I replace my old ones, and by then the games are re-released as white label varieties for bog all cash anyway, so whatever!
That's what I thought too. I bought ME right when it came out and had a really good time with it, and the DRM scheme had just one great plus for me: No DVD in the drive needed. BUT that was before people found out how draconian the DRM really is. Some people on the ME forums already lost all their activations simply because they changed their user account, plugged in a new graphics card or had to switch their OS. And apparently what tweakguides.com and others wrote and what I believed was true - that you regain your activation if you uninstall the game before making changes - was false.So right now I'm sitting here in front of my work computer that is also my gaming rig, I'm too scared to touch anthing, and a new hard drive is already right around the corner. I upgrade this system regulary. Noone, not even Bioware seems to know what triggers an activation and what not, EA's support seems to be almost nonexcistant, people who lost their activations have been told to purchase a new code, and in my personal case I can't even call EA's hotline if I triggered activation 3 - the service number scheme they use (the usually frowned upon 0190-xxx number in Germany) is simply blocked by my phone service. So, I wouldn't recommend buying this game until the DRM problems are solved, and people who are interested in Spore should keep an eye on the DRM issues too. Of course, if you really think the DRM is no issue for you, go ahead and play ME. The story disappointed me a bit and there are other flaws, but it was well worth the money nevertheless.

Stupid copyrights. They make the software so difficult to install or activate, that people are sometimes FORCED to use a pirated version. I'm an IT and I do work on computers. I have seen instances where a computer has just completely died and needed a total revamp. New mobo, new cpu, the works. In many cases, the computers did not come with a system restore disk, rather a restore partition on their DEAD hard drive and when using an OEM windows disk, even though their activation key is perfectly valid, windows will not install properly and when calling microsoft for help, you get a recording and automated system to activate the product. when it fails, you are told to purchase a legitimate copy of windows. In which case, the users have no choice but to get hold of a crack or pirated version by their own means. As a professional, I can't crack the OS for them, but they often times are forced to do it on their own and it's pitifl when they have to do so because they ALREADY HAVE a legitimate product key.

I've had my eye on Mass Effect but with all the discussions I've run across concerning the DRM, I'll probably at least wait on it. Bioshock is on my list as well but I seem to recall that there was a good deal of talk about DRM with that game as well. Is that nearly as bad as ME?Hellgate sounded really good at first, but I keep hearing that it's still very annoyingly buggy.

I've often thought about trying Oblivion, but I have serious doubts despite all the raving reviews. I played Morrowind (with my khajiit thief :)) obsessively for almost 2 months then all of a sudden it felt more like work than fun. I hated the leveling system most, but things like the drawn out process of trying to sell expensive loot drove me crazy.

well, if it's any help, Morrowind never grabbed me ... not at all, but i got months of enjoyment out of Oblivion. just my personal experience :)

gamewidow said:
well, if it's any help, Morrowind never grabbed me ... not at all, but i got months of enjoyment out of Oblivion. just my personal experience :)
I'm a huge The Elder Scrolls fan but honestly I think Oblivion is bigest peace of crap I have ever seen.When you play Morrowind you can see and even feel the politics, religion war and etc.You could really feel the culture of Morrowind.Now Oblivion.First of all Cyrodiil was suposed to be a jungle region not Gondor or something like that.Where are the different cultures, religions and etc after all it's the center of the Tamriel Empire.I could talk hours and hours why Oblivion sucks Daedric balls...

I'm willing to try it again ... should i ever tire of the witcher :) ... I'm not above admitting i may have missed something in Morrowind .. but i stand by the fact that it did not grab me. Guess i'll have to look harder...

I have just one problem with Morrowind - the character models.But you can download mods to fix it. :)I don't know Morrowind just sucks me in everytime I play.

Visually Oblivion is much more appealing to myself, the leveling system was easier to work toward your type of playing class, the battle interface is much more responsive, the quest tracker resolved all the running around for days on end, gradually getting peeved and risking the loss of interest. What I do miss in Morrowind is the freedom with enchanting, having feather 1% you can fall from any hight and never get injured, Restore Health or other stat regeneration, was soooo cool, Having a ring that would make you walk on air......Thats what I miss.

I miss the lore in Oblivion.Cyrodiil was suposed to be jungle region god damnit!I keep telling this because it drives me mad...Where are the different cultures...Everything looks the same and boring and please never again bring a full voice acting into TES games.I prefer the text that is full of interesting details.Oblivion was made for teen players spending hours near their XboX or PS3.It wasn't complex at all.Where did Bethesda put all those skills?There were lots of 'em in Morrowind and now we don't even have spear.

Well they could have made the gfx a bit older and as shiny as now but of course still good looking.And who told them to do whole Cyrodiil?Cyrodiil at all?It's a bad setting for a game.

After the Diablo announcement, I decided that Diablo 2 will be the next game for me. I'm in the middle of Chapter 5 of The Witcher already. It's gone far too fast, but that's what happens when I get caught up in a game and play for entire days at a time :). I'll probably go through again once I read The Last Wish and the expanded version is out.

PowazfromRivia said:
I miss the lore in Oblivion.Cyrodiil was suposed to be jungle region god damnit!I keep telling this because it drives me mad...Where are the different cultures...Everything looks the same and boring and please never again bring a full voice acting into TES games.I prefer the text that is full of interesting details.Oblivion was made for teen players spending hours near their XboX or PS3.It wasn't complex at all.Where did Bethesda put all those skills?There were lots of 'em in Morrowind and now we don't even have spear.
Cyrodiil is not a jungle region. Black Marsh is more like that. Cyrodiil is a forested region where the imperials live. It is the heart of tamriel and here resides also the emperor.http://www.imperial-library.info/pge3/cyrodiil.shtmlDifferent cultures are in Cyrodiil, but offcourse the main culture is Imperial, because it's the imperial province.In Morrowind you have also more dunmer, because Morrowind is the dunmer province (and former chimer, until azura cursed them)But in the game Oblivion bethesda has not used all of the lore and some things were changed. Leyawiin for example is actually seperated by the lower niben and have 3 districts.Here the conceptart of Leyawiin of how it should looked like: http://oblivionicus.org/graphics/screens/concept_03.jpgOblivion is a good game, but i think they made it too easy. Also, i don't like map markers. In the witcher this is optional. They had to use that also in oblivion.

http://www.imperial-library.info/pge/cyrodiil.shtml
There are a few major roads to the west, river paths to the north, and even a canopy tunnel to the Velothi Mountains, but most of Cyrodiil is a river-based society surrounded by jungle jungle.
There aren't any cultures besides Imperial.Read this and compare.Imperial City was supposed to be full of all religions and cultures.It's the centre of the Empire after all.It should have been like USA - mix of everything.There no interesting story telling - the Emperor died and no one is trying to sit in his throne.No politics at all.Sounds more like a happy fantasy tale then Elder Scrolls.http://www.imperial-library.info/pge/cyrodiil.shtml

I had a really good time with both of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic titles. I thought the first one the better game but the sequel has a lot going for it also. I don't think anyone who enjoys The Witcher and Baldur's Gate or Planescape will dislike the KotOR titles.

Top Bottom