RT&OverDrive Bug Thread

+
PLEASE READ

Please try to read previous posts to avoid redundancy in the off chance CDPR staff actually read any posts from this thread. Be specific in what the issue is and test it against Raster before posting as it may be a general graphics bug. This thread is for noting RT and Overdrive specific bugs, not general game or raster problems unless they impact RT/Overdrive rendering. Likewise, it should be understood that issues such as 'fireflies', noise, blur, accumulation lag(light that remains present after the source has disappeared or the camera has moved) are not bugs but artifacts from how real time ray tracing operates - only time and engineering will solve these issues.

I'm going to start off with issues that have lingered from day one. Some of these I think I have an idea of why they are the way they are while others I'm not sure, and the at the end of the day I'm just making an educated guess from my experience with rendering engines for post-production and my own reading in an attempt to understand how this all work.

First issue is related to "Distant Shadows".

Usually in a game Distant Shadow fields are used to fake/darken cascade shadows that aren't rendering at a certain distance. In 2077 it would seem this system is doing multiple things like blocking fog, removing rasterized global light, removing sun rays, among other things from certain room/vehicle interiors and areas of the map.

It's a contributor to some raster artifacts, but it causes a couple of rather intrusive artifacts that can effectively be called 'bugs' when enabling Ray Tracing. The most obvious of these is glowing translucent objects.

20230411230112_1.jpg20230419041751_1.jpg20230419041759_1.jpg
The first two are with RT Overdrive, the third image is Rasterized Ultra. Look at just how bad a critical scene in the primary path of the game can become with 2077's new hallmark feature. It's been this way since launch. The sunglasses will fade in and out of this state, sometimes changing abruptly as the vehicle enters these invisible boxes placed all around the world. Note just how bright the cigar smoke is as well. If direct light were flooding the vehicle; One would expect the smoke to respond this way and I thought it was intended until I investigated further. Disabling "distantshadows" with ini configs will remove this issue entirely, but that's not tenable for RT or raster as it introduces the artifacts it's intended to subdue - it considerably degrades the very purpose of using RT at it's highest settings as well.
20230416004118_1.jpg20230416004127_1.jpg
Again, note the change as this vehicle enters one of these boxes. I'm not sure as I haven't tested recently, but when trying to remove the raster artifacts from psycho RT in the past - I disabled the game raster GI with a ini config, around the map I could see several of such boxes. In many vehicles you could even notice when the player character or side character enters that there is an abrupt cutoff in lighting, a really good place to test this(with RT Psycho) is the scene when Panam opens the AV to save Scorpion - just as she points her gun into the vehicle you will see the lighting on her arm changes as she enters the occlusion box. Overdrive alleviates the visibility of the occlusion boxes, but we're still left with glowing translucent/transparent object as their shaders are still rendered in raster - causing this obnoxious glow.
20230411225230_1.jpg20230417005927_1.jpg20230418024140_1.jpg
Of course, as mentioned earlier, this happens with transparent textures/objects as well and not just translucent - which is a bit more worrying as I don't know what RT offers to solve this issue. Either CDPR has to address this by reworking an old raster system that was seemingly hooked together to save resources, or they at least introduce RT translucency lest their new 'wow' factor be marred with solvable problems, especially at critical path moments.
20230419041641_1.jpg20230419041647_1.jpg
Post automatically merged:

Another issues has been 'occlusion'.

Certain NPCs, objects, etc. around the world exhibit occlusion for seemingly invisible objects. I had hopes that Path Tracing would solve this, thinking it was an error of how RT works and that Path Tracing would solve it, as now isn't and RTAO layer but only light and shadow. I was wrong. It could be an asset that is not loading in properly in the LOD range, or it could be something intentionally hidden at one moment and later forgotten. There are lots of object around the world that do this, some have understandable reasons, but others it seemingly is an issue with the mesh/shader itself.
20230411185044_1.jpg20230423143613_1.jpg
From day one this specific NPC has been doing this.
20230423135141_1.jpg
Another NPC, albeit less noticeably. Note that she's wearing a translucent garment, but the effect is present. It's not covering her entire upper body, so I can only assuming there's another piece of clothing, perhaps for an npc variant, that's being registered in the gbuffer and causing this.
20230421235946_1.jpg
Six Street gangers have notable issues. Several meshes from that group exhibit these kind of artifacts.
20230411093639_1.jpg20230424174950_1.jpg
These soft surface tents and banners have had this problem since day one as well. Oddly, it's not present on all of them even though they appear to be the same model, notice below that the same setup but with a different texture in the same environment does not present such behavior. It could be the second kiosk tent isn't using a simple texture variant, but an entirely different material. Either way, it's clearly not intended and it looks plain bad.

This is issue crops up with many more assets, which I will cover in another post in the thread, but how many images can be attached per posts is limited.

Newer bugs introduced solely with RT Overdrive are the material specific artifacts creating this kind of illuminated mold like pattern.

20230413000235_1.jpg20230413013438_1.jpg

The best I can surmise is that the burned state texture is being rendered for the vehicles... I'm not sure why it's happening with characters when, unlike many other games, NPCs show no evidence of having been torched at all after dying. I have seen some 'fireflies' in this pattern glint on metals when using photo mode, and it's present on several other texture throughout the world, but here it's vibrant. It's also to specific assets, and not a general issue with the shaders I would guess.

20230411182343_1.jpg20230411182351_1.jpg
Path Tracing on the Left, RT Psycho on the right.

@krashlog Anything you find worthy of note so far?

Last edited:
@krashlog Anything you find worthy of note so far?
You've been extremely thorough. I've experienced all of them myself, including the "invisible" objects casting shadows and the "burned" textures on character clothes and on vehicules, displayed here on Arthur Jenkins' suit (on the right):

20230411153113_1.jpg

Another thing but I don't want to report since it's a DLSS bug, is that the flashing lights caused by the Bloom filter is made worse with RT Overdrive (and playing in HDR some regions of the game turn into a blinding laser-disco attack).

I'm going through a new playthough right now so I'll update this thread if I find anything new. Maybe we should hit up the rest of the usual suspects like @DC9V , @Notserious80 and @Azulath

You've been extremely thorough. I've experienced all of them myself, including the "invisible" objects casting shadows and the "burned" textures on character clothes and on vehicules, displayed here on Arthur Jenkins' suit (on the right):

View attachment 11351965

Another thing but I don't want to report since it's a DLSS bug, is that the flashing lights caused by the Bloom filter is made worse with RT Overdrive (and playing in HDR some regions of the game turn into a blinding laser-disco attack).
Right! I wonder if that's the same cause for glowing shadows. I need to post some capture footage. I have a small video of a bug where a specific car, and invisible door placards, have a shadow cast that starts to illuminate to the point of being blinding when you stare at it!

So my pc is out of commision due to a failed bios update (i think) so i havent been able too test anything yet, waiting for a new MB too be sent. Will take a look after i get it. Playing on the backup PC will not be very fun due too low specs.

Found a rather surprising bug last night while testing the OD revision of my GITS mod...

Bounce rays are not sampling cloud shadows

20230424013429_1.jpg20230424013506_1.jpg20230424013530_1.jpg
It would seem that because(this is a guess) the shadow map is some kind of alpha texture so it's not rendering the lighting correctly. That's still strange as I thought the rays being blasted out from the camera were sampling the lighting information on the geometry surface, but apparently the source casting the shadow has to be referenced in the GBuffer as well. What makes this behavior more odd to me is that ReSTIR GI does illuminate transparent texture such as smoke and steam especially in low right environments, so it can read alpha transparency... but for some reason it couldn't with the volume texture clouds? or the cloud shadow map? Why can't the game's tracing solution render clouds in reflections when it can clearly 'see' other transparent textures?

I thought for a moment I must be doing something wrong, so I unloaded the mod archive and booted with the vanilla env. Same results
below

20230424013815_1.jpg20230424013826_1.jpg

A specific foliage model does not cast shadows.

20230411095017_1.jpg20230415235404_1.jpg20230427200520_1.jpg
Regardless of the source - Sun, Moon, Local, Emissive - this specific grass model does not cast shadows. Assuming it's not being referenced in the GBuffer.

Last edited:
Is accumulation lag meaning that the game starts reducing system load after a while and you get lower fps ?
Because thats what happens on my end after a while.
Both CPU and GPU load decrease in the same scenario i before had high GPU and CPU usage.

I have not experienced the bug on clothes but a similar weird pattern on objects like a couch.

I have not experienced the bug on clothes but a similar weird pattern on objects like a couch.
Fyi, be sure to check at night . Every time I see these texture bugs it’s when the object is hit with a local light source. Same objects in sun/sky light don’t show the artifacts.

Fyi, be sure to check at night . Every time I see these texture bugs it’s when the object is hit with a local light source. Same objects in sun/sky light don’t show the artifacts.
Thx, I will check this out. I haven't been playing Cyberpunk 2077 with PT as much as I thought I would, so my exposure to potential bugs is limited. But I will keep an eye out and report any I do stumble over.

It is also a pity that according to a few comparisons you have made, they have reduced the LOD a bit. This is sort of the opposite direction I had hoped things would go as the LOD is one of the visual gripes I have with the game.

Also I don't know if it's happening on your PCs as well, but with Overdrive mode on flickering lights do not work properly. I mean, you see the area getting brighter and darker but the light itself doesn deminish its intensity. It's always fully on.

It is also a pity that according to a few comparisons you have made, they have reduced the LOD a bit. This is sort of the opposite direction I had hoped things would go as the LOD is one of the visual gripes I have with the game.
I haven't noticed any LOD quality changes but then again I used a few LOD-improving mods (Improved Environment, Vegetation, car light distance...). I'm curious if you have any screenshots / comparison, because like Obi-Wan said, "we need to be going up, not down". I also hadn't had much time to play with PT, real life got in the way.

If you're talking about the aggressive LOD level switching from a few meters away, it's been that way since day one.

I haven't noticed any LOD quality changes but then again I used a few LOD-improving mods (Improved Environment, Vegetation, car light distance...). I'm curious if you have any screenshots / comparison, because like Obi-Wan said, "we need to be going up, not down". I also hadn't had much time to play with PT, real life got in the way.
Azulath may have been talking about these. Just look at it..
20230511222148_1.jpg20230511222305_1.jpg
If you're talking about the aggressive LOD level switching from a few meters away, it's been that way since day one.
Yeah, I'm not sure how much that will change even in the next update(s). There's just so much going on at one time.

Also I don't know if it's happening on your PCs as well, but with Overdrive mode on flickering lights do not work properly. I mean, you see the area getting brighter and darker but the light itself doesn deminish its intensity. It's always fully on.
Could you elaborate? I don't understand what you mean by flickering lights.

btw - Were headlights on all the time from launch? I don't remember that being the case, but I've noticed they never turn off for NPC cars now.

Last edited:
Looks like a bug, no? Assets not loading, or not loading quickly enough. There was an issue with "HDD mode" a few versions ago, not sure if its still around but if you're on a fast SSD you should turn that setting to "Off" (not Auto).

btw - Were headlights on all the time from launch? I don't remember that being the case, but I've noticed they never turn off for NPC cars now.
The car lights have been this way since 1.5, I reported the issue last year but it's still not fixed. They seem to be in the "on" state by default. Maybe I'll report it again (it's minor, but somewhat immersion-breaking).

View attachment 11352781View attachment 11352784

Yeah, I'm not sure how much that will change even in the next update(s). There's just so much going on at one time.

Could you elaborate? I don't understand what you mean by flickering lights.

No, I was talking about defective street lamps or any other light sources inside buildings that as an artistic choice does not work properly. The fact they flicker is intentional. Once you were seeing the light source itself turning shortly off and on, aka flickering. Now, with Overdrive, it's always on and only the area surrounding the light source gets darker and brighter. I hope I explained myself better. :D

No, I was talking about defective street lamps or any other light sources inside buildings that as an artistic choice does not work properly. The fact they flicker is intentional. Once you were seeing the light source itself turning shortly off and on, aka flickering. Now, with Overdrive, it's always on and only the area surrounding the light source gets darker and brighter. I hope I explained myself better. :D
If I may to add to your explanation, it's to give the effect of a damaged neon/lamp (which flickering).
flickering.gif

Yeah, I was referring to the findings you have made. In general though, I would really love to see the game's LOD improved.

Looks like a bug, no? Assets not loading, or not loading quickly enough. There was an issue with "HDD mode" a few versions ago, not sure if its still around but if you're on a fast SSD you should turn that setting to "Off" (not Auto).
Good to know, I seemt o have missed that one. :)

Once you were seeing the light source itself turning shortly off and on, aka flickering. Now, with Overdrive, it's always on and only the area surrounding the light source gets darker and brighter. I hope I explained myself better. :D
I don't know if this has been said here or somewhere else but recently I stumbled over a game on Youtube where such an issue was shown and I assume the reason for this is the temporal data PT (and RT) needs to work properly at the moment. I also think that this cannot be fixed that easily and CDPR has to implement the Neural Radiance Cache to get rid of it. I'm not entirely sure though...

^ Yeah, it could be because of that, probably they haven't been able to implement that particular light behavior properly. They should also re-work the way flashlight gun attachments work, cause they are REALLY buggy., but in general any volumetric light coming from a small object (see for instance the lights on the stage in the Riot Club). The cone of light goes through models, leaks through ceilings and walls, and so on. It is also misplaced so that it looks it flows in mid-air instead of coming from the attachment itself. Just look at the mission Search and Destroy to see what I mean. This happens all the time, also when disabling Overdrive. There are other games which do it much much better, last one I've seen is The Last of Us on PC.

Could be, sure. It's an LOD issue certainly though. I never dealt with the bug you're mentioning because I've had that off from the start.
The car lights have been this way since 1.5, I reported the issue last year but it's still not fixed. They seem to be in the "on" state by default. Maybe I'll report it again (it's minor, but somewhat immersion-breaking).
Yeah, I hope that gets fixed. I have a laundry list of bugs that haven't been fixed. After 1.5 they were very responsive and even had a back and forth on a series of bugs... several that they later insisted they didn't see on their end. Hopefully they were only saying that because they have bigger fish to fry, but I do know at launch that the GOG and Steam version of the game were different. On Steam the fish in Corpo Plaza weren't animated, but on GOG and even PS4 they were. Today they're rather busy, would like confirmation they got my reports but I understand. I'm not reporting anything else until after PL drops.

^ Yeah, it could be because of that, probably they haven't been able to implement that particular light behavior properly. They should also re-work the way flashlight gun attachments work,
There are flashlight attachments?
cause they are REALLY buggy., but in general any volumetric light coming from a small object (see for instance the lights on the stage in the Riot Club). The cone of light goes through models, leaks through ceilings and walls, and so on. It is also misplaced so that it looks it flows in mid-air instead of coming from the attachment itself. Just look at the mission Search and Destroy to see what I mean.
Even more noticeable are the spot lights at Corpo Plaza, several of them are pointing down toward the park, breaching the geo, and into the overpass. The only fix for your example would be reducing the range(if it's volumetric). In corpo plaza they appear to be a kind of primitive emissive texture (not the kind recognized by RT). I would gander it's the same at the clud you mention though. Even if it were, blocking volumetrics would require some type of bounding box inside that specific area, like what's down with world fog/rain in regard to vehicles and interiors. Not a bug, just an oversight. Can be fixed, but probably won't... at least not until bigger issues are solved, just like the light in Corpo Plaza.

This happens all the time, also when disabling Overdrive. There are other games which do it much much better, last one I've seen is The Last of Us on PC.
Little to do with Overdrive just FYI or even Rasterization (per se). Overdrive fixes virtually all of lighting issues the game has, but these are placement and worldspace issues. If a light, or an imitation, is placed poorly or it's relation in world space has be shifted somehow - it will be a wrench in the system.

So finaly got my RMAed new motherboard, and a few other items :D holy shit the cpu temps are so much better then before due to cpu frame instead of intels crap original mounting with a spring from a fricking car -.- anyways ill be testing my pc out a bit after i reinstall cp and drivers and so on.

Kinda scared about updating bios since it bricked my last MB -.- Guess ill have too do it sooner or later tho, original bios is very bad -.-

Top Bottom