RT Overdrive Update

+
Given I'm a sucker for visual fidelity and all those shenanigans I'm looking forward to the RT Overdrive functionality, which will be released with the next update. And just to be a bit more specific, I thought about going on another Cyberpunk 2077 hiatus and returning once the update has been released. At first, I supposed it was around the corner and will come (more or less) together with the RTX 4090.

In order to get some context of a reasonable timeframe I looked at the presentation of DLSS 2.3 by Nvidia and how long it took them to release the next patch afterwards. So, it seems like DLSS 2.3 was presented on November 16th, 2021 while 1.5 was released on February 2nd, 2022. If the timeframe remains the same then RT Overdrive might drop on December 20th, 2022.

That being said, what appears to be much more likely is that the Nvidia presentation of DLSS 2.3 did not have any impact on the planned release date and thus it remains to be seen if RT Overdrive + DLSS 3 will have any.

If this holds true, then RT Overdrive + DLSS 3 will be released with 1.7 and given CDPR long patch cycles (*) I do not expect this update to drop before March/April 2023. But to be completely honest, I have not been following every statement made by CDPR the last couple of weeks and I might have missed something important.

What do you think? Will RT Overdrive be released sooner (i.e. around the corner - I'm looking at you frequent steamdb updates) or do we have to wait longer?

*) The take increasingly longer to develop patches and according to a few calculations I have done in the past it should take something between 200-230d. Note though, that this falls entirely in the realm of speculation. (Some might even call them rampant^^.)

I've noticed they tend to release patches around investor updates; at least for this year. 1.5 next gen was around a investor update, 1.6/Edgerunners released around a investor update, and the next investor update is November 28th. Now, this one could be for Witcher 3 next gen which is rumored for December 9th. I'd be very surprised if 1.7 doesn't come out this year; albeit there is basically two months left.

Given I'm a sucker for visual fidelity and all those shenanigans I'm looking forward to the RT Overdrive functionality, which will be released with the next update.
Watch out, you'll be called an 'elitist' by some members of this forum ;-)

Do you have a 4090? I'm really curious about the Overdrive RT performance with DLSS 3.

I've noticed they tend to release patches around investor updates; at least for this year. 1.5 next gen was around a investor update, 1.6/Edgerunners released around a investor update, and the next investor update is November 28th. Now, this one could be for Witcher 3 next gen which is rumored for December 9th. I'd be very surprised if 1.7 doesn't come out this year; albeit there is basically two months left.
That's a good catch, but they also did not release something around every investor update as far as I can recall. To my understanding, they happen quarterly while there was a 203d gap between 1.5 and 1.6 (154d between 1.52 and 1.6). Also, as you have rightfully said Witcher 3's next-gen release is around the corner and there are not many months left in 2022.

So, in order to please said investors often enough the might release Witcher 3 for their Q4 update and 1.7 for the Q1 update. The expansion alongside with 1.8 could then drop in Q2.

Watch out, you'll be called an 'elitist' by some members of this forum ;-)

Do you have a 4090? I'm really curious about the Overdrive RT performance with DLSS 3.
I haven't noticed someone being called elitist here before, but I'm only semi-active. Yes, I was able to get a MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X and the performance is insane. As a result, I'm looking forward to RT Overdrive and DLSS 3 as well :)

Contrary to my initial belief and that of others around here, neither RT Overdrive nor DLSS 3 have been a part of the recent 1.61 update. The question then remains when this update will be released.

The optimist in me would argue that they already have implemented enough to showcase the demo and therefore I should still expect RT Overdrive in 2022. Sadly though, I cannot quite belief that. I much rather believe that we will see 1.7 together with the expansion, which might be due in 2023Q1. I think late March could be when the expansion drops. It should also be noted that the Expansion is only supposed to run on current-gen hardware (no old-gen consoles), which also puts emphasis on this guess.

Thus, everyone who is waiting for RT Overdrive should be prepared to wait until end of March in my opinion...

Contrary to my initial belief and that of others around here, neither RT Overdrive nor DLSS 3 have been a part of the recent 1.61 update. The question then remains when this update will be released.

The optimist in me would argue that they already have implemented enough to showcase the demo and therefore I should still expect RT Overdrive in 2022. Sadly though, I cannot quite belief that. I much rather believe that we will see 1.7 together with the expansion, which might be due in 2023Q1. I think late March could be when the expansion drops. It should also be noted that the Expansion is only supposed to run on current-gen hardware (no old-gen consoles), which also puts emphasis on this guess.

Thus, everyone who is waiting for RT Overdrive should be prepared to wait until end of March in my opinion...
Yea im starting too trust these numbers when a new gfx card releases less and less. Both nvidia and AMD are responisible for this since its so hard too get apples vs apples comparisions until the benchmarks releases. I got the impression it was done too but im guessing its in early testing stages? Some games have DLSS 3 out already but theres issues with it.

Doesnt matter too me since i wont buy anything untill next year anyways. And im not even sure ill get the expansion so playing CP2077 seems far away for me but hoping other games will use it too ^^

Last edited:
Yea im starting too trust these numbers when a new gfx card releases less and less. Both nvidia and AMD are responisible for this since its so hard too get apples vs apples comparisions until the benchmarks releases. I got the impression it was done too but im guessing its in early testing stages? Some games have DLSS 3 out already but theres issues with it.
I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused and I don't quite follow what exactly you are referring to.

Doesnt matter too me since i wont buy anything untill next year anyways. And im not even sure ill get the expansion so playing CP2077 seems far away for me but hoping other games will use it too ^^
I think many games will add frame generation as an option, just like DLSS and it will also improve over time. In my opinion, frame generation is quite similar to DLSS 1. Regarding RT Overdrive, that's of course always up to the developers which features they want to use in their games.

I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused and I don't quite follow what exactly you are referring to.
Most companys dont compare apples too apples anymore. They show omg RT overdrive and DLSS 3! and they have 1 game that support it. There will be more ofc but it feels like showing stuff that isent there yet. Same with FSR 3.0 and AMD latest 7900 presentation with 0 numbers except 1.7x times the fps, nothing about settings even. its all starting too sound like marketing speak -.- Its todays marketing tho i guess, happends everyday.

Most companys dont compare apples too apples anymore. They show omg RT overdrive and DLSS 3! and they have 1 game that support it. There will be more ofc but it feels like showing stuff that isent there yet. Same with FSR 3.0 and AMD latest 7900 presentation with 0 numbers except 1.7x times the fps, nothing about settings even. its all starting too sound like marketing speak -.- Its todays marketing tho i guess, happends everyday.
Ah, now I'm understanding everything, thx! Anyway, to me it seems this was always the case, but to be fair I seem to remember GamersNexus mentioning that AMD did specify the settings (to a certain extent?). Personally, I would say that you can trust the numbers if pay an extreme attention to their wording. I.e. they are not lying but presenting themselves in as much of a good light as possible.

For example, I would say it is no secret that Nvidia is better at RT than AMD for the time being. So, Nvidia extremely focuses on RT while AMD prefers rasterisation examples...

Ah, now I'm understanding everything, thx! Anyway, to me it seems this was always the case, but to be fair I seem to remember GamersNexus mentioning that AMD did specify the settings (to a certain extent?). Personally, I would say that you can trust the numbers if pay an extreme attention to their wording. I.e. they are not lying but presenting themselves in as much of a good light as possible.

For example, I would say it is no secret that Nvidia is better at RT than AMD for the time being. So, Nvidia extremely focuses on RT while AMD prefers rasterisation examples...
Yea that kinda true but also semi scummy imo. Take the 8k slides, there not 8k (neither is nvidas 3090 8k fiasco) its either 8k wide or 8k both upscaled from much much lower resolutions and also no settings at all shown. Whats the point in 8k but running on low/medium settings?. Heck not even the 4090 can do 4k 60+ fps with maxed out settings (40 is still impressive tbh but) Most marketing is doing this now, they paint themselfs in good light as you said and never talk about the "deception".

Consoles have done this for years, 4k has never been 4k really (atleast not in the high gfx games) now gfx card makes is doing the same. This is why the only benchmarks i kinda trust is from the tech tubers (Linus/Jay/GN) They mostly show settings and so on atleast and compare it too other cards/cpus. Sadly they often use open chassis and there temp/clock readings can be kinda misleading.

Yes nvida is very focused on RT but they also advance other things, they were first with the new upscale tech on PC (DLSS) they pretty much invented RT (so they have a edge there). So its not odd that they keep uping it when they have more performance, however they are showing stuff not here yet as a selling point for a very expensive card and it will only work in 1 game too start with. DLSS 3 is atleast in more games already. Also alot of new stuff hasent been implemented at all yet, directstorage for example. Oddly enough the consoles hasent even taken advantage of that yet, it was a major selling point of the next gen consoles -.- Feels like were not even using the things we have availeble or slowing down the development of stuff too keep inventing new stuff. Ops long rant there but anyways...

What does internal_dev_5 mean?

What does internal_dev_5 mean?
It means "dev branch 5" :LOL:

Just kidding, I don't think this has much to say. CDPR usually pushes changes to one of those branches a few days after the patch. So, this could mean a new patch is around the corner or there are a few months left for the release of said branch.

However, there is another statement that piqued my curiosity on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LowSodiumCyberpunk/comments/ypk8y2/_/ivjoicn
This patch was supposed to include it but I think that they're delaying it till Nvidia prepares a new Game-Ready driver.

Is this confirmed or documented somewhere or just pure speculation? I don't have a reddit account, but if someone could follow up, this would certainly be interesting.

It means "dev branch 5" :LOL:

Just kidding, I don't think this has much to say. CDPR usually pushes changes to one of those branches a few days after the patch. So, this could mean a new patch is around the corner or there are a few months left for the release of said branch.

However, there is another statement that piqued my curiosity on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LowSodiumCyberpunk/comments/ypk8y2/_/ivjoicn

Is this confirmed or documented somewhere or just pure speculation? I don't have a reddit account, but if someone could follow up, this would certainly be interesting.
Speculation, plain and simple.

It's someone, who apparently has a short memory, making an assumption. They didn't say it was coming out in the latest patch. Hell, it seemed reasonable that DLSS 3 alone would be in the patch... because they dolled out press branches to game and tech "influencers". That wasn't the case. They have a bit of work to do for Overdrive not be a letdown.

"NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI) gives each neon sign, street lamp, car headlight, LED billboard, and TV accurate ray-traced lighting and shadows, bathing objects, walls, passing cars, and pedestrians in accurate colored lighting." -CDPR

It doesn't 'give' every light shadows. RT, the one we have now, can create soft shadows for large space high intensity emissive lights (TVs, billboards, and other lights that don't have an actual light attached to them)because that's RT recognizing a light that isn't actually programmed to be or not to be - they don't cast light or shadow in raster as they're just a mesh object with an emissive value. Actual lights( typically these are attached to headlamps, street lamps, light bulbs, etc) in an engine are coded to cast or not cast a shadow.... Unless they have some special work they've done to override light settings, which I've not seen anywhere else and am not certain about the possibility currently, they need to go through the whole game and turn on shadows for all those lamps, TVs, billboards, etc and I know there are a lot of them. RTXDI specifically offloads the costs of shadow casting, meaning people with the cards that can handle it are able to process scenes with an assload of lights they wouldn't be able to so in raster at a respectable frame rate.

I'm increasingly of the opinion they may want to make an "enhanced" version of the game ala Metro, because at this point they're going to piss off another group of people with these promises. Turning on shadows for nearly every light natively means a big hit for people without the RT power because it can't be offloaded with RTXDI - and not doing so for every light is going to piss off every one who does and was told that's what we're getting. That's not even mentioning how aggressively shadows are culled currently. What would the point be of having this feature when you can't even render shadows past 2-3 meters?

The other settings aren't really anything noteworthy. More bounces for ambient lighting and reflections, reflections rendered at full resolution, so the current solution will look better. Looks like they still can't get reflections to observe screen space data as fog isn't being rendered in the puddles during the nvidia press release. Meaning the morning scene with River will still look odd in RT.

"Improved, more physically-based lighting removes the need for any other occlusion techniques."

Hopefully that means RT lighting will override the garbage caused by the internal GI system. Maybe even character eyes won't glow in cars during the day as the need for occluder boxes, as this statement above reads, would be null. Anway; if DLSS 3 ain't ready, RTX Overdrive sure as hell isn't.

Last edited:
Speculation, plain and simple.

It's someone, who apparently has a short memory, making an assumption. They didn't say it was coming out in the latest patch. Hell, it seemed reasonable that DLSS 3 alone would be in the patch... because they dolled out press branches to game and tech "influencers". That wasn't the case. They have a bit of work to do for Overdrive not be a letdown.
That's what I assumed but I was not 100% sure.

Hopefully that means RT lighting will override the garbage caused by the internal GI system. Maybe even character eyes won't glow in cars during the day as the need for occluder boxes, as this statement above reads, would be null. Anway; if DLSS 3 ain't ready, RTX Overdrive sure as hell isn't.
I also think that DLSS3 and RT Overdrive will come together and if not DLSS3 will be released earlier due to the reasons specified in your post.

Regardless of that, given CDPR's patch release strategy I also think it might be possible that they would hold DLSS3/RT Overdrive back for one reason or another, that is not bug related. Maybe they want to impress gamers but would prefer to wait for 4080s to be more available as well? Maybe they want their new expansion to really hit on the visual front. If so, one might argue that they could have easily told gamers about their plans but CDPR is not communicating anymore, are they?

With this statement out of the way, I would currently guess that RT Overdrive and DLSS 3 will be released with Phantom Liberty, which unfortunately is a rather sobering thought.

That's what I assumed but I was not 100% sure.
I'm almost certain.

"This patch was supposed to include it but I think that they're delaying it till Nvidia prepares a new Game-Ready driver."

Where are they getting this? We all assumed it because it seemed reasonable. CDPR and Nvidia made a deal of it, spoke to the press, handed out branches for youtubers. They didn't say it was coming in this patch though.

"There's not a lot of differences between RT Overdrive and the current RT Psycho settings. Overdrive improves ambient occlusion quality, sets reflection resolution to native and reduces grain around sun shadows..."

I want screen shots and/or video of the GUI and results. JusDax keeps talking like they're hands on with RT Overdrive and has no pictures or video to back it up. Just like the claim that they enabled Frame Gen on an older RTX card. I want to see it myself.

From my testing, RT Lighting seems to control 2 things, ambient occlusion and global illumination. The medium setting enables RTAO while RTGI is disabled."

They're speaking authoritatively without more thorough and thoughtful testing. RTGI also is absolutely not enabled with Lighting set to Ultra; Ultra increases the ray count for indirect lighting and resolution over Medium. Psycho gives you a single GI bounce while increasing the ray count and resolution further - reducing noise. That's why it takes effort to spot the differences with each step after enabling RT Lighting much of the time. I recommend they should turn off the GI and distant shadows systems with Psycho turned on to see what happens. RTGI is, with 100% certainty, not enabled with Ultra.

"RTAO might be getting a dedicated toggle to separate it from the lighting toggle but I'm not 100% sure about that."

RTAO and RTIL aren't entirely separate like a raster IL or SSAO/HBAO solution, they're modulated. I don't know why it would have it's own setting or if that's even possible.

"From my testing, RT Lighting seems to control 2 things, ambient occlusion and global illumination. The medium setting enables RTAO while RTGI is disabled."

You need to do more testing, bruh...

No hate; I understand this person has a press kit, but those did not come with Overdrive. That means we don't know what it's supposed to be beyond what CDPR have stated - and they should be held to it. This is much like when this individual said they got Frame Gen "working" on a 2k series card. If the screen and/or objects were turning black, you suffered massive performance drops(The very opposite of what framegen is supposed to do), you had to artificially limit VRAM access, glitches, etc - it ain't working.
I also think that DLSS3 and RT Overdrive will come together and if not DLSS3 will be released earlier due to the reasons specified in your post.
Yep.
Regardless of that, given CDPR's patch release strategy I also think it might be possible that they would hold DLSS3/RT Overdrive back for one reason or another, that is not bug related. Maybe they want to impress gamers but would prefer to wait for 4080s to be more available as well? Maybe they want their new expansion to really hit on the visual front. If so, one might argue that they could have easily told gamers about their plans but CDPR is not communicating anymore, are they?
Yeah, well... They've communicated enough to get people's interest. Now they just need to deliver.
With this statement out of the way, I would currently guess that RT Overdrive and DLSS 3 will be released with Phantom Liberty, which unfortunately is a rather sobering thought.
I would hope not, but I can see the reasoning behind doing so; it's believable. I think releasing something impactful like wowy graphics would be a good way to sucker people back into playing the game in the interim as well.

Last edited:
@BabaBooey88 Thanks for the detailed response!

CDPR and Nvidia made a deal of it, spoke to the press, handed out branches for youtubers. They didn't say it was coming in this patch though.
That means we don't know what it's supposed to be beyond what CDPR have stated - and they should be held to it.
Has CDPR even said anything or was all communication done by Nvidia? I'm not even sure CDPR has publicy acknowledged (nor refused) the inclusion of DLSS 3 or RT Overdrive. (Now, I'm not arguing Nvidia made those claims up, I'm merely highlighting my perception that CDPR has remained entirely silent as always.)

The last few days I kept an eye on the Steam repository and as others have noticed a first and then a second update of cdpr_internal_dev5. A week later, this repository was updated again. Having a look at other similar branches one can easily see that cdpr_internal_dev1 was updated four months ago, but if my memory serves me well it was also updated before the release of 1.6 a few times. Furthermore, it should be mentioned that the weeks leading up to a release usually experience frequent updates of cdpr_internal_qa and then a final update of geforce_now shortly before the release. Given all this data, I would argue the next release truly is a few months away and we should not expect RT Overdrive nor DLSS 3 in 2022.

However, I also agree with the notion RT Overdrive would provide an incentive for new players to try the game and for old ones to come back, which is also something Phantom Liberty would do. Initially, I assumed the expansion would be released in 2023Q1, but it is also possible CDPR tries to strategically place updates throughout the year to have a consistent player base. I.e. if their plan is to drop RT Overdrive and DLSS 3 in a few months (February/March?) then Phantom Liberty will be released somewhere between 2023Q3 and 2023Q4 (perhaps September?).

@BabaBooey88 Thanks for the detailed response!
No problem. I'm a nerd for this stuff so I could go on all day if anyone were willing to entertain my musings.
Has CDPR even said anything or was all communication done by Nvidia? I'm not even sure CDPR has publicy acknowledged (nor refused) the inclusion of DLSS 3 or RT Overdrive. (Now, I'm not arguing Nvidia made those claims up, I'm merely highlighting my perception that CDPR has remained entirely silent as always.)
Yes.

“Here at CD PROJEKT RED we are very proud to be technology innovators, and DLSS 3 gives us meaningful performance gains to tackle the addition of even higher levels of ray tracing to deliver a visually rich experience for our gamers.” - Jakub Knapik, Art Director, CD PROJEKT RED

Cyberpunk 2077’s neon-illuminated environments are key to its aesthetic, and with the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode their level of detail is taken to the next level:
  • NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI) gives each neon sign, street lamp, car headlight, LED billboard and TV accurate ray-traced lighting and shadows, bathing objects, walls, passing cars and pedestrians in accurate colored lighting
  • Ray-traced indirect lighting and reflections now bounce multiple times, compared to the previous solution’s single bounce. The result is even more accurate, realistic and immersive global illumination, reflections, and self-reflections
  • Ray-traced reflections are now rendered at full resolution, further improving their quality
  • Improved, more physically-based lighting removes the need for any other occlusion techniques
The last few days I kept an eye on the Steam repository and as others have noticed a first and then a second update of cdpr_internal_dev5. A week later, this repository was updated again. Having a look at other similar branches one can easily see that cdpr_internal_dev1 was updated four months ago, but if my memory serves me well it was also updated before the release of 1.6 a few times. Furthermore, it should be mentioned that the weeks leading up to a release usually experience frequent updates of cdpr_internal_qaand then a final update of geforce_now shortly before the release. Given all this data, I would argue the next release truly is a few months away and we should not expect RT Overdrive nor DLSS 3 in 2022.
Could be any time really. Could be 1 week or 36. It's better for us all to expect little in due time. Some might take that as being negative, but it's simple realism that has served me well. That they reordered the rendering layers, improved lighting, ehanced RTX further, added more NPCs, etc. on PC when the NGE patch dropped was a pleasant surprise. Especially since I thought they would just drop the game outright.

I've taken it upon myself to try and add shadows to every light in the game, but it's proving difficult even after all the hours hunting for each light. It might be a cooked appearance issue blocking me. One of their likely performance issues is the amount of copying vs instancing. If you aren't aware; Instancing is when a "reflection" of an asset is used. That means any changes made to instance/original will change the instance/original as well. It's important because the CPU only has to account for however many original lights are present, vice having the account for every 'individual' light. A copy can be edited without changing the original, making it a unique asset in the scene. In Cyberpunk 2077 there are copies of lights, literally in the same room, which are the same in every way visually, with one casting shadows while the other does not. These are even in sets with important cut scenes. Why??
However, I also agree with the notion RT Overdrive would provide an incentive for new players to try the game and for old ones to come back, which is also something Phantom Liberty would do. Initially, I assumed the expansion would be released in 2023Q1, but it is also possible CDPR tries to strategically place updates throughout the year to have a consistent player base.
Maybe... I don't think they planned that so much as they're just having real trouble getting shit together. It's best to have your expansion out the door ASAP. You and I are here because we love a... somewhat decent game. Our patience and participation says nothing for most active/passive/casual gamers. Most the people who bought the game day/week 1, especially under the pretenses it would be this sort of Cyber GTA sand box, moved on long ago and the stank of that experience is how they'll always remember it.

I say decent because some things are actively absent or poorly designed contrasted against other things which are absolutely incredible.. along with a still unhealthy amount of bugs two years after release. Some of my favorite, and I'm guessing yours too likely, games were/are buggy. I do consider that a part of the experience though, and it is to does make replays feel more daunting on top of the bad stuff that still stands out with some 50+ mods installed. So planning these piecemeal updates as people who've stuck around (there are but a handful of us) increasingly lose patience coupled with a general lack of interest from the public doesn't strike me as entirely effective. It is a valid thought though, so you could be right.

Nominal sales for an expansion is 20-25% at 6 months post-launch release. 2+ years after a release so poor an entire cottage industry built around it still lives and is kept up to date? Well, they'd better do something special. If it's really just a 'new' district with a few hours of main story - that's f*ckin' abysmal. I actually don't think this scenario is what will play out, but I'm not getting my hopes up as they made some strikingly bad decisions with this game, the launch state not accounted for. Things such as buying used cars from fixers vs a dealer or even something as lazy as from your home PC, a mini map vs projected GPS, no random encounters, map markers for the vast majority of anything interesting - including "street stories", a story that actively antagonizes you to not engage with side content or the open-world, no truly unique weapons, no roleplaying opportunities through activities like drinking/gambling/raids, and possibly the worst loot system I've ever seen.

(The projected nav system is already in the game btw. I didn't know at release since I still have not played the racing quest as I have no interest, but I even felt they should've done it prior because it makes sense. Dead Space is over a decade old, c'mon now.)
I.e. if their plan is to drop RT Overdrive and DLSS 3 in a few months (February/March?) then Phantom Liberty will be released somewhere between 2023Q3 and 2023Q4 (perhaps September?).
Sounds reasonable. I don't think it's coming in Q1 either from how things are going. It took 7 months to drop a bug fix with some new gigs and weapons and this transmog bandage for the clothing system, and another two for a bug fix with new umbrellas and a poorly acted animation of a drunk falling into the ocean. We have just one teaser for this alleged big peepee expansion dropping "soon" as the end of the year swiftly approaches and not a moment of actual gameplay footage or new features. While their marketing team is far more tame after 2021 thoroughly humbled leadership, I doubt they would be clammed up like this if anything were dropping soon.

BTW ; One thing I did notice from the update is there are now "gangers" pasted around the map that will quickly aggro the player. Seriously - They're always in the same spot and doing the same thing just like everything and everyone else. If that's CDPR's idea of a random encounter in a supposedly "living breathing" world... hooooo boy.

Last edited:
“Here at CD PROJEKT RED we are very proud to be technology innovators, and DLSS 3 gives us meaningful performance gains to tackle the addition of even higher levels of ray tracing to deliver a visually rich experience for our gamers.” - Jakub Knapik, Art Director, CD PROJEKT RED
Ah, good to know, thanks!

Cyberpunk 2077’s neon-illuminated environments are key to its aesthetic, and with the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode their level of detail is taken to the next level:
  • NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI) gives each neon sign, street lamp, car headlight, LED billboard and TV accurate ray-traced lighting and shadows, bathing objects, walls, passing cars and pedestrians in accurate colored lighting
  • Ray-traced indirect lighting and reflections now bounce multiple times, compared to the previous solution’s single bounce. The result is even more accurate, realistic and immersive global illumination, reflections, and self-reflections
  • Ray-traced reflections are now rendered at full resolution, further improving their quality
  • Improved, more physically-based lighting removes the need for any other occlusion techniques
This sounds really impressive, which is also why I'm looking forward to it. After the announcement of RT Overdrive I put a stop to my current (and still first) playthrough and decided to wait for it (as well as my 4090). Given that this update might be months away though, I will probably reconsider.

Could be any time really. Could be 1 week or 36. It's better for us all to expect little in due time. Some might take that as being negative, but it's simple realism that has served me well. That they reordered the rendering layers, improved lighting, ehanced RTX further, added more NPCs, etc. on PC when the NGE patch dropped was a pleasant surprise. Especially since I thought they would just drop the game outright.
I just try to guesstimate potential release dates by drawing some kind of conclusion from past data. It helps me to create a frame of reference due to the absence of any form of communication, but I also have no direct expectations and I think I will be happy and content with whatever CDPR will deliver.

A copy can be edited without changing the original, making it a unique asset in the scene. In Cyberpunk 2077 there are copies of lights, literally in the same room, which are the same in every way visually, with one casting shadows while the other does not. These are even in sets with important cut scenes. Why??
This sounds like something that warrants a bug report. Do the developers know this? Well, I'm 100% certain they do but it would be interesting to see the response, which sometimes reveals the odd bit of information.

Maybe... I don't think they planned that so much as they're just having real trouble getting shit together. It's best to have your expansion out the door ASAP. You and I are here because we love a... somewhat decent game. Our patience and participation says nothing for most active/passive/casual gamers. Most the people who bought the game day/week 1, especially under the pretenses it would be this sort of Cyber GTA sand box, moved on long ago and the stank of that experience is how they'll always remember it.
Nominal sales for an expansion is 20-25% at 6 months post-launch release. 2+ years after a release so poor an entire cottage industry built around it still lives and is kept up to date?
I'm not saying they are postponing the expansion, but rather that they are planning everything around it. I.e. they want a larger update every few months to keep players engaged to a certain degree so that Phantom Liberty has as many buyers as possible.

Also, don't forget that Cyberpunk 2077 experienced a second spring after the release of Edgerunners and the current player count is still very high. Now, the plan might be to give Lovelace owners something new and shiny to play with, but here they would need to wait for the release of the 4080 and maybe even the 4060.

In this regard, I would even say that RT Overdrive and DLSS 3 will be held back until other factors have become sufficient to release it. (Note though, that I also think that if RT Overdrive and DLSS 3 were ready for 1.61 they would have been released.) In a way, this would enable them to do as much optimisation as possible while also fixing bugs. Unless of course, there is some sort of agreement with Nvidia, which would force them to release it earlier.

Some of my favorite, and I'm guessing yours too likely, games were/are buggy.
It's always the thought that counts :LOL: But to be perfectly honest, I have never considered Cyberpunk 2077 to be as buggy as it was made out to be. Sure, there are (still) issues but I notice issues in other games as well. (Might be I'm just lucky though...)

So planning these piecemeal updates as people who've stuck around (there are but a handful of us) increasingly lose patience coupled with a general lack of interest from the public doesn't strike me as entirely effective. It is a valid thought though, so you could be right.
We lose patience by complaining here on the forums, but most of us will be back in some way or another. However, if I was done with my playthrough no update would bring me back for the time being. (For me, this is the case for every game I own.) I would only return for the expansion and at a later time for a second and third playthrough.

We have just one teaser for this alleged big peepee expansion dropping "soon" as the end of the year swiftly approaches and not a moment of actual gameplay footage or new features. While their marketing team is far more tame after 2021 thoroughly humbled leadership, I doubt they would be clammed up like this if anything were dropping soon.
I still think they will be doing a Fallout 4, which means they will announce it almost when it is ready. They also won't show anything leading up to the release, which enables them to remove features without gamers complaining. This is their new strategy and this is CDPR now. CDPR will only deviate from this issue when it is relevant for their investors (which makes sense). It is also the reason they had to announce all those games a few months ago.

If that's CDPR's idea of a random encounter in a supposedly "living breathing" world... hooooo boy.
This is a discussion for another thread, but for me Night CIty is the best open world I have experienced so far. While I did enjoy Red Dead Redemption 2 and also notice that it was much more polished, Night CIty feels real, while RDR2's world seem gamey...

Edit:
“...DLSS 3 gives us meaningful performance gains to tackle the addition of even higher levels of ray tracing to deliver a visually rich experience for our gamers.” - Jakub Knapik, Art Director, CD PROJEKT RED
After trying DLSS3 in Plague Tale: Requiem and also watching a few videos on it I doubt it a little bit. The weird thing with Frame Generation is that it only increases your performance when you already have good performance. So, if the game runs natively at 60fps and you activate Frame Generation then it will be fine. Everything below becomes noticeable and does not feel responsive.

However, given that even a 4090 will very likely be pushed below 60fps with RT Overdrive I don't see much benefit of Frame Generation in this regard.

Last edited:
Ah, good to know, thanks!

This sounds really impressive, which is also why I'm looking forward to it. After the announcement of RT Overdrive I put a stop to my current (and still first) playthrough and decided to wait for it (as well as my 4090). Given that this update might be months away though, I will probably reconsider.

I just try to guesstimate potential release dates by drawing some kind of conclusion from past data. It helps me to create a frame of reference due to the absence of any form of communication, but I also have no direct expectations and I think I will be happy and content with whatever CDPR will deliver.
I get ya. I'm hopeful but keeping expectations as low as possible. Again; I expected some basics features that have been the norm for both Table Top and CRPGs of both the on-rail and open worlds variety and didn't get them, so I should be surprised when the expansion offers more than diddly. We'll see.
This sounds like something that warrants a bug report. Do the developers know this? Well, I'm 100% certain they do but it would be interesting to see the response, which sometimes reveals the odd bit of information.
I've reported non shadow casting lights to no avail - big ones. There are two specific street lamp models all over the downtown area that don't cast shadows and a handful of others. It gets even stranger when most neon signs are emmissives, but I've even found a couple in Kabuki with area lights that cast shadows attached to them... while some prominent overhead kiosk lights don't. Non-shadows casting lights also create the problem of no occlusion methods working, making everything look like it's floating. This is even present in Dex's car...an important scene of all places. I reported just after 1.5 and again after 1.6. The specific instance I was referring to in my previous post is the train station in the Panam side quest. I'm guessing they culled all the shadows for performance while turning shadows on just for the light in the scene with Panam.
I'm not saying they are postponing the expansion, but rather that they are planning everything around it. I.e. they want a larger update every few months to keep players engaged to a certain degree so that Phantom Liberty has as many buyers as possible.
Sure, but it makes sense to me they would want to show the game in a much more finished state ahead of the expansion so people are more primed to dive in. Either scenario is plausible.
It's always the thought that counts :LOL: But to be perfectly honest, I have never considered Cyberpunk 2077 to be as buggy as it was made out to be. Sure, there are (still) issues but I notice issues in other games as well. (Might be I'm just lucky though...)
I dunno, man. I find it hard to believe you aren't seeing anything... but there is a considerable divergence in bugs people seem to the experience, so it's possible. Day one the cars constantly drove through walls and terrain, spawned under/inside of NPC cars, they would frequently drive off into the distance, parked NPC cars would fly into the air because another would spawn under/inside of it. T-posing naked from the waste down when driving. Today these things happen, but much much less frequently. There is one specific restaurant/kiosk in downtown that nearly everyone experiences cars spawning inside of... like three at a time. It's been there at least since 1.5, perhaps 1.3. Numerous people have reported it, including me - It's still there.
This is a discussion for another thread, but for me Night CIty is the best open world I have experienced so far. While I did enjoy Red Dead Redemption 2 and also notice that it was much more polished, Night CIty feels real, while RDR2's world seem gamey...
I get ya. I haven't played RDR2 so I can't comment to that. I think Night CIty is the best city in a game for sure, no doubt, but it's inhabitants and activities are lack luster and that's part of the open world experience. That's especially irksome for an RPG.
Edit:

After trying DLSS3 in Plague Tale: Requiem and also watching a few videos on it I doubt it a little bit. The weird thing with Frame Generation is that it only increases your performance when you already have good performance. So, if the game runs natively at 60fps and you activate Frame Generation then it will be fine. Everything below becomes noticeable and does not feel responsive.

However, given that even a 4090 will very likely be pushed below 60fps with RT Overdrive I don't see much benefit of Frame Generation in this regard.
I've heard DLSS 3 wasn't that impactful in Plague Tale compared to 2077 though. 4090 is worth it either way because it's a work item for me. My render times have been cut in half - that's money. That's more time thinking creatively about the final design, more time dedicated to making adjustments, more time doing anything other than waiting on final gather and denoising. We'll see if CDPR make it do what they say they will in time.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, some new config settings. Turning them on does nothing, but the work is there. I've also found references to flat tires and other vehicle deformation and effects in the archives. I'm willing to cut them slack that the city was just that demanding, and the controversy of having two drastically different versions the game at launch along with being rushed made these things impossible earlier if they're finally implemented. I anticipate we may finally see the real Cyberpunk 2077, or something that meets those basic expectations I mentioned, some time next year.
New-Settings.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I finally got to try DLSS 3 Frame Generation in Cyberpunk... and ho. ly. sheeet. My FPS are capped at my monitor's refresh rate of 144 on my 4090, everything maxed out at 3440x1440. I don't know about Plague Tale but it's DEFINITELY impactful here. Now, I know that RT Overdrive is going to get that performance down but still. Can't wait for the official release!

Top Bottom