Rtx 4090 crash - driver or hardware? .The description for Event ID 0 from source nvld

+
The amount of recent reports of issues with GPUs might warrant adding all the advices that reasonably work in a CDPR-posted thread, delivered by techies who troubleshoot this stuff for living. I can fix my own stuff, but that doesn't translate to the ability to help someone remotely without having access to the device; that's not feasible, it's a cat in the sack rank of quality for the folks in trouble, and it is of unreliable consistency. I think that goes for us on the forum in general.

A gentle ping to the mods to consider relaying that word upstream.

Last edited:
For anyone using a riser - check how many lanes are visibly available in the bios. I had a bad cable and it knocked my 4090 down to 1 lane and created similar results to the OP. Smooth sailing after replacement.

For anyone using a riser - check how many lanes are visibly available in the bios. I had a bad cable and it knocked my 4090 down to 1 lane and created similar results to the OP. Smooth sailing after replacement.
One more tip regarding risers, if the riser itself is intended as a PCIe 3.0, set up the graphics card slot to talk in PCIe 3.0. This is going to be a downgrade in bandwidth, which is generally barely perceivable in practical scenarios, but it's the safe route to using that riser with the card. I don't know if hardware damage can occur, but there can be functional downsides ranging from some issues to things not really working.

I have a one-meter riser

TT Premium PCIe 3.0, 1000 mm

, which actually works in PCIe 4.0 mode with my 3090 (Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 OC Edition), but I have it downgraded to 3.0 just in case. Having it up in 4.0 has no perceivable benefit during gameplay, and at 3.0 it's following the spec / intended use.

Using the riser allows me to keep my 3090 outside the case in its own air tunnel, where it is air-blasted with three 140 mm Noctuas. It is actual shame that in my next build I will go for custom water loop(s), and those external radiators that take 3 x 3 of 140 mm Noctua's finest. Direct air cooling has unique engineering challenges once you go custom.

Last edited:
The setting for your Gigabyte motherboard in bios may be labelled as PCIe ASPM. Also in Windows go to Edit Power Plan -> Change Advanced Settings -> PCI Express -> Link State Power Management -> OFF

Top Bottom