RTX On but some mirrors don't have reflection???

+
You're welcome, but yes there is no work to that so i think we can say it's intentional, that is sad. I dont think CDP gonna work on this.

They absolutely need to add this in, it's out of place with every other ray traced game on the market. Even minecraft reflects your character.

Guest 4468226

Really hope they will be able to implement that. It's kinda weird if you dont see yourself in reflections.

Some news here, by editing .exe file we can turn ON TPP RT, basically that allow mirror, windows or water to reflect V. Bad news, V has an headache, and broken arms. There is no performance lost at all btw. Animation are totaly broken too for upper part of the body, but mostly arms.

View attachment 11078411

Without editting any .exe file I found the story-NPC has similar reflection without arms :D

Attachments

• 1091500_20201212155145_1.png
    1091500_20201212155145_1.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 251
Some news here, by editing .exe file we can turn ON TPP RT, basically that allow mirror, windows or water to reflect V. Bad news, V has an headache, and broken arms. There is no performance lost at all btw. Animation are totaly broken too for upper part of the body, but mostly arms.

View attachment 11078411

That's by design. If the arms were in realistic places they wouldn't be looking good in first person as it be so far away from the camera that you wouldn't see anything, or be in the wrong positions. Either that or they'd have to dial the FOV down a lot.

The only solution would be to set the camera to exclude rendering your 3rd person body, while rendering only the first -person models, and exluding all the 1st person models from the Ray-trace. Not sure how that would work exactly, since you would have 2 ray trace layers that is supposed to interact with the same light sources, see as RTX is actually backwards racy-tracing.

Yeah, it's basically because they didn't make 3rd person animations. For comparison GTAV has three different animation sets. 1st person animation, (mirror animations in 1st person are what 1st person looks like from outside of 1st person. It's why your arms flop around and your character sort of stands sideways.) 3rd person animations (what you see in from 3rd person.) and finally a third set of animations for what another player sees when they are looking at other characters online.

So if they do indeed want to create an online mode for this game they'll at least have to create another animation set no matter what. By then they might decide to go ahead and create a 3rd person animation set as well but who knows.

View attachment 11078411
This is pretty much what I suspected, they used a different model for the 1st person character, that's why RTX doesn't work on you during gameplay. Once you activate a mirror, your 3rd person model loads up and it appears on the "mirror".

Not a fan of this solution, to be honest, not in the year 2020 and with RTX.... They should have aimed to use the same model for both 3rd person and 1st person perspective, allowing RTX to work its magic.

Ultra settings and no DLSS = struggle. Relying on DLSS isn't a good way to go about claiming it runs good. DLSS is mainly for longevity has a wide variety of quality scene to scene.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Ray tracing is meant to be used with DLSS, Nvidia never said it would work on its own at acceptable performance on any currently released card. With DLSS (UP) the performance and visual appearance are great.
Post automatically merged:

First of all main character model is invisible for ray tracing. Unless it is switched mirror (which by the way display my character without hair), nothing reflects main character. In RARE occasions you can see main char casting shadow and it is cast without head. Pretty hilarious for sure :D
NPCs are reflected on glass and any glossy material.

I don't find it hilarious, I find it pretty immersion breaking and that it totally defeats the purpose of ray tracing. I think I am entering the camp of feeling like CDPR made promises they couldn't or wouldn't keep. If they don't come out and say they intend to offer an option to enable at least character reflections I think I am going to try to refund.

If all mirrors were permanently "active" there would absolutely be a performance hit. If they only reflected you, it would look quite weird so they would have to reflect everything, which means doubling the rendering for every mirror.

There's a reason the mirror in your apartment is in a small closed in area. This game wouldn't be able to handle all of that at once. RTX 3090's already struggle with this game at times let alone the 2000 series and lower. So having mirrors require interaction is a good design choice, honestly.

RTX reflections don't double the rendering, that's the whole point. The RT cores can operate at the same time as the raster cores. In other games the reflections reflect everything (up to a certain distance), including games like Battlefield V that are outside and have many character models. That's what I expected from this and if they aren't going to offer any option to enable it I am pretty disappointed.

And a 3090 does not struggle with this game at all. I am getting 55-60 FPS (60 being max due to frame limiting) at 4k with a 2080ti with RT Ultra. So you are way out in left field.

Everything has a cost. More reflective materials = more resources required = heavier to perform.

But outside, in the open world, the puddles and other reflections already reflect almost everything but the player! Cars, NPCs, everything. This is not a performance issue.

Last edited:
I think there is generally still some issues with RT reflections and effects in general. I have all enabled and I'm noticing some oddities with RT Shadows and Puddle-Reflections in Photomode. Sometimes parts of main characters and V are simply missing from the RT Shadows and Reflections... Not sure why, but I hope it can be fixed as RT Shadows and Reflections are really awesome.

That's by design. If the arms were in realistic places they wouldn't be looking good in first person as it be so far away from the camera that you wouldn't see anything, or be in the wrong positions. Either that or they'd have to dial the FOV down a lot.

The only solution would be to set the camera to exclude rendering your 3rd person body, while rendering only the first -person models, and exluding all the 1st person models from the Ray-trace. Not sure how that would work exactly, since you would have 2 ray trace layers that is supposed to interact with the same light sources, see as RTX is actually backwards racy-tracing.

It would work just fine, CDPR chosen to use a unified FPP/TPP model which is why it looks funky, especially based on where they positioned the camera which is somewhere around the players mouth, you can enabled your head in FPP and see some gnarly images...

You can have both the TPP and FPP models "active" at the same time as many other games do that and these are visible to different things in the pipeline for example reflections and shadows would be cast of your TPP model not your FPP one...

Top Bottom