RTX reflections are all blurry and broken on 2070 Super

+
Hi, I'm having what I think is a bug with RTX. If I enable its reflections, they all go blurry and broken!I recall it especially striked me happening after one of the game update in the past, but I'm not entirely sure nor wich update it was... I finished the game then and only launch it back since 1.5 now.

It is especially obvious that something is broken when I use Jacky's golden weapon as its reflection is totally off and weird as you'll see on my screenshots. Obvious on ground/road too. And the game seems more blurry in general. This happens even if I put DLSS off so it's not DLSS related. The only things that works is putting RTX reflections to off. No changes to other parameters has any effects whatsoever.

Did someone managed to solve this? Can someone else who have this gun and uses full RTX confirm he has the same bug?

RTX reflections on:
RTXon.jpg

RTX reflections off (but with RTX still on):
RTXoff.jpg

This is making me crazy!!!! I thought this would have been solved by now...

What's even more weird (and infuriating) is that whenever a character passes by a reflection, around him, the reflection gets back to normal following him like a trail, meaning the whole thing could work flawlessly.

Look at the left of this character (and surrounding him):
RTXonPNJ.jpg

And then when no one passes by:
RTXonNOPNJ.jpg

Am I the only one suffering this? Or is this "normal" RTX behavior? Can somebody test with Jacky's gun too to see if it's the same for everyone?

Thanks to all

That's normal for RT reflections in CP2077, textures get very blurry when the road is wet - and in other instances. I don't know why - but I assume it's some kind of performance saving compromise.

Hi, I'm having what I think is a bug with RTX. If I enable its reflections, they all go blurry and broken!I recall it especially striked me happening after one of the game update in the past, but I'm not entirely sure nor wich update it was... I finished the game then and only launch it back since 1.5 now.

It is especially obvious that something is broken when I use Jacky's golden weapon as its reflection is totally off and weird as you'll see on my screenshots. Obvious on ground/road too. And the game seems more blurry in general. This happens even if I put DLSS off so it's not DLSS related. The only things that works is putting RTX reflections to off. No changes to other parameters has any effects whatsoever.

Did someone managed to solve this? Can someone else who have this gun and uses full RTX confirm he has the same bug?

RTX reflections on:
View attachment 11291677

RTX reflections off (but with RTX still on):
View attachment 11291680

This is making me crazy!!!! I thought this would have been solved by now...

What's even more weird (and infuriating) is that whenever a character passes by a reflection, around him, the reflection gets back to normal following him like a trail, meaning the whole thing could work flawlessly.

Look at the left of this character (and surrounding him):
View attachment 11291683

And then when no one passes by:
View attachment 11291689

Am I the only one suffering this? Or is this "normal" RTX behavior? Can somebody test with Jacky's gun too to see if it's the same for everyone?

Thanks to all
I'm only experiencing this "loss of texture" with the black Yaiba Kusanagi CT-3X. When I cycle through it's appearances and again to the black one, the textures return to normal for the remainder of being in sight. Going away from it going out of sight to coming back in, the textures are lost again. Started to occur since 1.5.

Have to play with the other vehicles to see if any of them are affected, but so far, only the Yaiba.

If there are no mods involved in your game, consider to pass this occurrence along to Support. Can use the link below.

People have got to stop linking to REDSupport for every little thing under the sun. There are probably real tickets in their issue tracker, somewhere. How they find those needles in a giant haystack of unactionable reports I'll never know.

RTX reflections are traced at half resolution because its one of the most brutal performance killers in the game (only RTX Lighting = Psycho murders your framerate harder).

First check you aren't running some .ini tweak that has borked RayTracing parameter values.

You can create an .ini file and place it in \Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config\platform\pc\"

Open it in notepad and add the following lines:

[RayTracing/Reflection]
EnableHalfResolutionTracing = 1
RoughnessOverride = 0.000000
RoughnessThreshold = 0.990000
UseScreenSpaceData = true

[RayTracing/NRD]
DiffuseDenoisingRadius = 60.000000
DiffuseMaxAccumulatedFrameNum = 15
DiffuseMaxAdaptiveRadiusScale = 5.000000
EnableAmbientOcclusion = true
EnableLocalCoordinates = true
EnableScalingCompensation = true
ReferenceAccumulation = false
SpecularDenoisingRadius = 40.000000
SpecularMaxAccumulatedFrameNum = 15
SpecularMaxAdaptiveRadiusScale = 5.000000

These are default values, so you have to change them to see a difference. You may have already downloaded an .ini tweak where someone has done this already for performance/visual reasons.

A comprehensive list of GameOptions parameters and default values can be found here: INI settings and EXE parameters list at Cyberpunk 2077 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

Not all of them work and some of them are no longer recognised. You can vary working parameters in real-time via Cyber Engine Tweaks console so you can do direct A/B visual comparison while the game is running.

e.g. copy and paste your command list straight into CET console and it will change all the values in real-time:

GameOptions.SetInt("RayTracing/Reflection", "EnableHalfResolutionTracing", 0)
GameOptions.SetFloat("RayTracing/Reflection", "RoughnessOverride", 1.000000)
GameOptions.SetBool("RayTracing/Reflection", "UseScreenSpaceData", false)
GameOptions.SetInt("RayTracing/NRD", "SpecularMaxAccumulatedFrameNum", 1)

etc.

Bool = true/false statement, Int = whole number, Float = decimal number.

Visual example of what it looks like in game: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

1647119055135.png

As with everything there are tradeoffs. If you set AccumulatedFrames too low, you will see temporal noise. You can see this in the wake of npcs and vehicles even at default values. The above screenshot has pin sharp specular reflections on polished surfaces but with SpecularMaxAccumulatedFrameNum set to 0 or 1, you get more temporal noise, which isn't visible here but will be if the scene has motion (like cars or pedestrians moving past and flashing lights.

Many, many more surfaces have diffuse reflection properties and the effect is a lot more subtle but if you set DiffuseMaxAccumulatedFrameNum really low (like 0 or 1) you will see horrible noise everywhere.

1647119144904.png

Pretty much every surface in the game has some type of reflective properties and glass doesn't reflect light the same way as a rough, pitted surface like tarmac. A surface's material properties affect the way raytraced reflections are drawn (they may always be diffuse looking. Play around with CET console. Expect a performance drop.

You can play around with the denoiser and how much temporal occlusion there is but because its real-time ray tracing, you can't increase the number samples per pixel per frame (or it will take seconds of even minutes to render a frame. At 1 or less sample per pixel per frame the performance impact is already brutal). The tradeoff will be mostly blur vs noise.

You get less blur with less acumulation frames but more noise. Noise is visually more noticeable on diffuse reflections than specular.

Last edited:
People have got to stop linking to REDSupport for every little thing under the sun.
On the contrary, CDPR has always and still is continually encouraging players to report any and all issues to Support, no matter how small.

Even when players are not sure they're dealing with an issue or not, report it to Support. Support will reply eventually verifying whether or not it is an actual issue. Never any harm in that. Especially, (presumably) new issues experienced after a patch. Relay it to Support with as much details as you can. Always!

Top Bottom