Runecrafting - How to Make It Not Suck

+
Runecrafting - How to Make It Not Suck

Hello people,

Lets talk Runecrafting!

If you have invested in the new Runecrafting master craftsman then I am sure you also are aware of how disappointing it is. I am certainly not the first to say this, so rather than dwell on it lets start thinking of some reasonable ways to improve, what in theory, is a great idea. Not to mention address what is wrong with the current system.

The first problem is that the crafting system is scaled towards end game only. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but then why aren't all the potential rewards worthy of late game play? If you are around level 32 or 62 in newgame+ then you are no doubt using greater runes and glyphs. Because runes and glyphs are not destroyed with gear upgrades, there is an incentive to invest in higher quality even from early levels. So why then would I downgrade (and destroy!) my greater runes/glyphs in order to use these enchants?

Here's an idea! Keep the runes/glyphs and make combinations to make "words" based on type, not on quality! For example... it takes 1 Zoria, 1 Veles, and 1 Perun rune to craft the "Severance" enchant. Why not allow me to use the Greater Zoria, or Great Veles rune? The fact that I will only be using greater runes/glyphs at this point in the game means the majority of the enchants will never be worth using.

I think that keeping the runes/glyphs and at your desired quality would atleast give me some incentive to use the enchants, because right now I have a fully upgraded Runecrafter and I have no desire to use any of them. Better still, it would be cool if the bonus we received was based on our choice of runes, giving us the freedom to mix and match how we please, like before. Such as, any combination of attack power and freeze runes will result in x enchant. I realize this would require much more enchants to cover the possible combinations though, but would be great!

Anyway, that's enough ranting from me. So what do you guys think, do you like my ideas or would something else make the Runecrafting system better to you?

Last edited:
My biggest gripe with the runewright is that he replaces your existing runes for (mostly) small pay-offs. I would have been much happier with the runewright if he offered minor effects *on top* of the existing effects and runes already installed.

ya, absolutely. I like the idea of having a "set bonus" instead of a replacement. I actually hadn't assumed the effect would replace the runes when I first did it, but was very disappointed when my runes disappeared. I guess I really should have mentioned this first, since I made my post with this assumption in mind already. XD I will edit my post to clarify this better. Good call.

Last edited:
I recommend the following:

• Stack the Words on top of your other Runes/Glyphs, and not replace them.
  • Make the Word effects global, so if one sword has Severance (Whirl/Rend range extention), then the other sword gets it too.
  • Let the Words be installed in Trousers, Boots and Gloves too.

The devs also need to fix a potential bug in this system. When you use Levity/Balance/Heft Glyphword (change gear weight), it doesn't provide the necessary Stamina regen of the resultant gear. I mean if I change my gear to be light gear using Levity, I should be seeing some increase in my stamina regen, but that is not happening right now.

(Also, as a selfish request, I wouldn't mind seeing a rune/glyph that increased Stamina Regen by 5-10 points :D)

Not sure about the rest of youse, but the Runewright is a pointless addition to the game, you can't carry it over to NG+, all the work you put into the Runewright is deleted when you start an NG+, along with the 60k gold you spent.. Whats the point of it if its only really available the last 2 hours of a dlc?, its really just something to add several more hours into a lacklustre expac.

Not sure about the rest of youse, but the Runewright is a pointless addition to the game, you can't carry it over to NG+, all the work you put into the Runewright is deleted when you start an NG+, along with the 60k gold you spent.. Whats the point of it if its only really available the last 2 hours of a dlc?, its really just something to add several more hours into a lacklustre expac.

Just thinking -- there's also Blood and Wine coming up so. Maybe they'll make it more accessible while working on the next epansion.

Or at least scale the access and expenses through out the game, like the other crafters. Get stage 1 when you get to Novigrad, stage 2 when get you go to Kaer Moren, and stage 3 afterwards. Or something like that anyway. Kinda at the same pace you get witcher gear tiers perhaps? Getting full access after you've already gone through everything does seem kinda silly though.

Glyphwords shouldn't carry over to NG+, just like any other quest/exploration rewards (e.g. gwent cards). In NG+ you could go to runemaster right away when you'll arrive to Velen

Seeing Geralt's swords light up in flames after casting Igni makes the 70k i've sacrificed to the runewright completely worth it

Tho, i agree that there is a severe lack of useful variations in the available rune/glyphwords. Seriously, has item durability ever been an issue for anyone? Also, two major runewords seem to be heavily biased towards a Sign build (Axii and Igni). Would like future patches to add more variations of rune/glypwords to accommodate different builds

Last edited:
the rune system is very unpolished. most of the runewords do have nice visual effects but are totally useless or not worth to replace 3 higher runes/glyphs.
make them more viable and let us carry them over to ng+.

by the way... does anyone know what the heck the runeword "Replenishment" is doing besides some shiny glowy visual effects? i mean i can't see any difference in dmg

Glyphwords shouldn't carry over to NG+, just like any other quest/exploration rewards (e.g. gwent cards). In NG+ you could go to runemaster right away when you'll arrive to Velen

that's bullshit... than you would not carry over most of the weapons/armor too, because they are also quest rewards. what's the point in NG+ then ? *facepalm*

by the way... does anyone know what the heck the runeword "Replenishment" is doing besides some shiny glowy visual effects? i mean i can't see any difference in dmg

Replenishment is in my opinion, the only truly useful and the best of the runewords. Depending on which sign you cast, it will have the following effects (assuming you have adrenaline points to consume, 100% chance):
Axii - Stun
Yrden- Slow
Quen- Heal
Igni - Burn
Aard - Stagger (could be wrong)

Ekhidna decoc + Quen Replenishment = unlimited healing

Replenishment is in my opinion, the only truly useful and the best of the runewords. Depending on which sign you cast, it will have the following effects (assuming you have adrenaline points to consume, 100% chance):
Axii - Stun
Yrden- Slow
Quen- Heal
Igni - Burn
Aard - Stagger (could be wrong)

Ekhidna decoc + Quen Replenishment = unlimited healing

So it's pretty useless as i thought....

the yrden slowdown wasn that small, i did not even notice it, like the aard one.
heal effect is also pretty useless because as you sayed... ekhidna decoc is all you need as a sign build.
the burn effect of the replenished sword is just a fraction of the damage you do when you just use ignii on the target. i'm doing around 1.3k burning tics when setting a cyclop on fire with my ignii build, but only doing tics around 200 when using a igni replenished sword.

that thing is far far away from being useful.

Last edited:
that's bullshit... than you would not carry over most of the weapons/armor too, because they are also quest rewards. what's the point in NG+ then ? *facepalm*

I only remember Winter's blade as unique quest reward, other quests only gives your money or common items.

Secondly, there are entirely different types of quests:
1) Ones with narrative-related goals - they would be interesting even without any reward in the end;
2) Quests where your only goal is to obtain some item - they would be pointless if you already got it in stash.

Runecrafting quest is a second type.

One exception is a witcher gear quests which have been just expanded with one more tier in NG+. But, again, there's a peculiarity - witcher gear quests don't involve any other NPCs with dialogues and background stories. Adding more tiers to runecrafting quest in NG+ requires to re-write it from the scratch.

what's the point in NG+ then ?

TBH, no idea, actually :lol:

Last edited:
It feels incomplete.
Very few options to begin with.
Fewer that actually more usefull than just 3 runes\glyphs inserted.
Severance is pretty much outperforms anything else if you build a figher character with special atacks, and it is level 2 runeword. What do we have at level 3? It is supposed to be better than level 2.
Prolongation is a joke
Replenishment makes some sense and at least looks cool.
Invigoration might work if you running under troll and water hag decoctions.
But again - they are not even remotely as good as severance.
Glyphs? I dont know.. armor type convertions, sign buffs. Thats pretty situational.

I only remember Winter's blade as unique quest reward, other quests only gives your money or common items.

Secondly, there are entirely different types of quests:
1) Ones with narrative-related goals - they would be interesting even without any reward in the end;
2) Quests where your only goal is to obtain some item - they would be pointless if you already got it in stash.

Runecrafting quest is a second type.

One exception is a witcher gear quests which have been just expanded with one more tier in NG+. But, again, there's a peculiarity - witcher gear quests doesn't involve any other NPCs with dialogues and background stories. Adding more tiers to runecrafting quest in NG+ requires to re-write it from the scratch.

-eredins sword
-hjalmars sword
-olgierds sword
-caretakers shovel
-master weapon smith sword (blade from the bits)
-master armor smith armor
-the poker
-some of the crossbows
-all of the witcher gear
-all weapons from the witcher contracts (every contract monster drops a relic sword/armor)
-and so on

the list is long... very long. it would be all taken from your inventory if you say "quest rewards shouldn't carry over" because they all are!

you invest a lot of gold into the runesmith, and not in just one armor and weapon. i for myself gave him around 110k gold so far if not more (i selled a lot of stuff to him). And you want to nullify all this effort ? why to punish players like that ?

Last edited:

Not really, I don't think you can access the Hos content until L62 in an NG+ game, even then i'd like to see anyone get passed the spider cave for the Jade deposit :)

---------- Updated at 09:32 AM ----------

-eredins sword
-hjalmars sword
-olgierds sword
-caretakers shovel
-master weapon smith sword (blade from the bits)
-master armor smith armor
-the poker
-some of the crossbows
-all of the witcher gear
-all weapons from the witcher contracts (every contract monster drops a relic sword/armor)
-and so on

the list is long... very long. it would be all taken from your inventory if you say "quest rewards shouldn't carry over" because they all are!

you invest a lot of gold into the runesmith, and not in just one armor and weapon. i for myself gave him around 110k gold so far if not more (i selled a lot of stuff to him). And you want to nullify all this effort ? why to punish players like that ?

Also not true, I have the caretakers shovel, Tieger in my stash chest+ other sundries from normal game, in my NG+

Not really, I don't think you can access the Hos content until L62 in an NG+ game, even then i'd like to see anyone get passed the spider cave for the Jade deposit :)

---------- Updated at 09:32 AM ----------

Also not true, I have the caretakers shovel, Tieger in my stash chest+ other sundries from normal game, in my NG+

dude, read all the posts before answering... :(

i never said they don't take over. don't take my post out of context !

Top Bottom