Saber:Tiger - one of the well designed cards in WotW

+

rrc

Forum veteran
I have done extensive testing with Saber, and mainly (or exclusively with GT) and I can say with confidence that Saber is a little underwhelming. Then why do I call it Well Designed, you ask? At the first glance, it seemed like a really powerful card, but it is not. Its purpose is not to do 2 (or in your dreams 4) damage per turn. Its purpose is to be an uninteractive card providing meager value, but putting the opponent on careful watch.

In at least 30% of the time I played Saber (on blue coin), it was played for a 7 or 9 (meaning it couldn't do even 2 damage). About 50-60% of the time it would have played for 9 or 9. I think in one or two games I got 11 points and nothing more than that. I can also see that the opponents don't even have to play awkward cards to avoid its damage and most of the time, it was natural.

After a lot of considerations, I have decided to remove Saber from my deck, not because I think it is bad or something, but I think Saber doesn't belong to GT. I can sense that it may be good in some low-unit non-interactive decks with Saber, Sessenthesis and special cards + Gord or something; getting 9 for 9 in most cases and sometimes playing for 7 for 9 (which is fine in those decks aiming for that).

The reason I consider this as well designed card is that, it does its damage on its turn start giving the opponent an option to play around it. In all my games post WotW, I think I faced Saber only one time. It is a good well designed card (and the art is amazing), but sadly it doesn't fit in movement GT decks (unless I keep feeding my leader charge to it, which is not worth it). May be in some other deck (PS) it may shine. I will try it later. Anyone else managed to build a deck around Saber and managed to get good value? Anyone who tried it in deck consider this card worthy and good? If so, which deck and why? I am curious and want to know.

I have done extensive testing with Saber, and mainly (or exclusively with GT) and I can say with confidence that Saber is a little underwhelming. Then why do I call it Well Designed, you ask? At the first glance, it seemed like a really powerful card, but it is not. Its purpose is not to do 2 (or in your dreams 4) damage per turn. Its purpose is to be an uninteractive card providing meager value, but putting the opponent on careful watch.

In at least 30% of the time I played Saber (on blue coin), it was played for a 7 or 9 (meaning it couldn't do even 2 damage). About 50-60% of the time it would have played for 9 or 9. I think in one or two games I got 11 points and nothing more than that. I can also see that the opponents don't even have to play awkward cards to avoid its damage and most of the time, it was natural.

After a lot of considerations, I have decided to remove Saber from my deck, not because I think it is bad or something, but I think Saber doesn't belong to GT. I can sense that it may be good in some low-unit non-interactive decks with Saber, Sessenthesis and special cards + Gord or something; getting 9 for 9 in most cases and sometimes playing for 7 for 9 (which is fine in those decks aiming for that).

The reason I consider this as well designed card is that, it does its damage on its turn start giving the opponent an option to play around it. In all my games post WotW, I think I faced Saber only one time. It is a good well designed card (and the art is amazing), but sadly it doesn't fit in movement GT decks (unless I keep feeding my leader charge to it, which is not worth it). May be in some other deck (PS) it may shine. I will try it later. Anyone else managed to build a deck around Saber and managed to get good value? Anyone who tried it in deck consider this card worthy and good? If so, which deck and why? I am curious and want to know.
It is quite strong in PS, especially in a short R3 on blue. With the extra removals it manages to find a target every turn, while at the same time denies any way of counterattack.

rrc

Forum veteran
It is quite strong in PS, especially in a short R3 on blue. With the extra removals it manages to find a target every turn, while at the same time denies any way of counterattack.
Did you try this card in PS deck? Or are you theory crafting? In theory it is good even in GT, but practically it is mostly just 9 for 9. I haven't tried in PS deck but I am not sure which card can this replace in low unit Ford decks. Will try a PS deck centered around it later, but until now I want to know from people who built a deck around this and played more games to weigh in their experience.

I found the most use when playing NG on blue coin when they just try to tactic you to death and don't play any cards. It forced a unit out early to give me something to interact with. Also got a couple people to heatwave it which made the Gezra play later much safer. Other that if you don't play it first in a short round 3 it didn't have much utility. All in all, kept it in my GT deck and just mulligan it if it's not the right matchup.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Specimen just uploaded a video using this in a shirru PS deck to great effect. He says it basically just solves the blue coin/ proactivity problem with that deck. If you can move your enemies units with stuff like making a bomb it can get some good value. I agree its not broken and by that standard its behind the curve of other cards but I think its an interesting one and has its uses to support other archetypes besides movement.

Also I kind of feel like it transforming should proc the cat witcher mentor since its appearing onto a row but maybe that would be busted.

• RED Point
Specimen just uploaded a video using this in a shirru PS deck to great effect. He says it basically just solves the blue coin/ proactivity problem with that deck. If you can move your enemies units with stuff like making a bomb it can get some good value. I agree its not broken and by that standard its behind the curve of other cards but I think its an interesting one and has its uses to support other archetypes besides movement.

Also I kind of feel like it transforming should proc the cat witcher mentor since its appearing onto a row but maybe that would be busted.
This, pretty much. I tried to use it in a similar fashion, very solid coice in this deck.

• RED Point
Im not in a rush to get to pro rank this season but I ranked up to rank 2 last night with a shirru/ skaggs gord deck using tiger and making a bomb. Its quite strong and tiger really helps to have an option for something on blue coin.

Top Bottom