Samurai - The Band. Their music is IN the game!

+
Hello, Chombattas!

Samurai.

SamJack.JPG

So Samurai was....IN 2020 ( One of my Polish Masters is staring murderously at me right now, I sense it) and ONLY IN 2020...Samurai was the band that Johnny Silverhand and Kerry Eurodyne founded in the early 21st Century. It was seminal. That means, REALLY IMPORTANT MUSICALLY.

Samurai.JPG

Sorry about the boots. It was the 80s. Hey, I had to live it. You just have to wince about it later.

JohnnywQuote.JPG

Friday Night.JPG

So their early work, starting with Blistering Love, kinda defined the music of the 2020 world. Then they split up and went their own ways. Yes, it's all very Beatles. Only with cyberware.

Anyway, Johnny remained influential ( and so did Kerry) musically as well as socially. Even though Samurai broke up in 2007, they remained front page acts.

Kerry 1.JPG

Kerry 2.JPG

So that's Samurai in Cyberpunk 2020.

Now in 2077, we have NO IDEA if Samurai is recently broken up, where Johnny is, if Kerry is even in the story.

BUT.

We DO KNOW their MUSIC is in the game!

Yes. CDPR apparently has made actual songs from the Samurai play list! How is that for cool?

So CDPR went to the trouble of creating actual music that plays on V's apartment music player for you to listen to!

PRETTY AMAZING. Talk about immersion! If you've heard this music, let us know what you thought!

I don't want to piss on this parade, but whenever I see discussion of style in CP, I worry it's too much of this style:

I mean the 80s were a...unique time. We just need a dash. A little tiny dash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough. I think it's amazing that they did this. It really is indicative of their commitment. I just worry about how much 80s style is going to get a pass in 2018.

Yeah.....I think not too much, at least from the trailer? I hope not. I mean, there was cool stuff in the 80s- trenchcoats and mirrorshades, jeans and t-shirts, cowboy boots and hats, combats and muscle shirts, etc.

But also the images you posted. There was that, too.

Kerry Eurodyne looks okay - boots, jeans, jacket, long hair. He'd be fine on stage now.

Trailer looks pretty CDPR-art-style, not 1989-2020 style. And that's just fine.

ANYWAY. Samurai the band. What kind of music? IS there more? Did they record an album? Is it available with the game, for purchase, part of a Collector's Edition? On Spotify?

I can reveal one little detail. The song they heard in V's apartment is the legendary "Chippin' In" by Johnny Silverhand and Samurai.
Now and then, a journalist actually recognized the song and asked us about it after the demo, so there's certainly some real fans out there who remember it. I'm really looking forward to everyone being able to hear it, it's awesome! :)

Now and then, a journalist actually recognized the song and asked us about it after the demo, so there's certainly some real fans out there who remember it. I'm really looking forward to everyone being able to hear it, it's awesome! :)
How good of a synth metal that song was?

So in case anyone wants to see some lyrics from Chippin' In, it's literally on the cover of 2020!

Chippinin.JPG

Thanks, Benz! REALLY looking forward to this! A friend of mine who heard it says its also realllllly good. And he's super fussy about music!

If I remember correctly Johnny Silverhand was killed in 2022 while he was fighting Arasaka (I hope my memory is correct). So it can explain to us why people are asking "Where's Johnny?" He was like a hero for those who fought against the system. There's chance that Johnny will become some kind of symbol for punks in Cyberpunk 2077.
where's johnny.jpg

I can reveal one little detail. The song they heard in V's apartment is the legendary "Chippin' In" by Johnny Silverhand and Samurai.

Is there any chanse to reveal "Chippin In" song same way like you used DjHyperuk songs for your Cyberpunk trailers ?

I don't want to piss on this parade, but whenever I see discussion of style in CP, I worry it's too much of this style:

I mean the 80s were a...unique time. We just need a dash. A little tiny dash.

CP2077 is not 1980's style, so no worries.
Post automatically merged:

If I remember correctly Johnny Silverhand was killed in 2022 while he was fighting Arasaka (I hope my memory is correct). So it can explain to us why people are asking "Where's Johnny?" He was like a hero for those who fought against the system. There's chance that Johnny will become some kind of symbol for punks in Cyberpunk 2077.
View attachment 10975025

Yes. During the SOCOM/Militech assault on Arasaka Tower in NC. But in CP 2077 timeline he was not killed in 2022. In 2022 he's parents' weren't even alive. There's a bit o the radio the V is listening to about Johnny's going MIA/KIA in 2076. The story is probably more or less different than in PnP.

CP2077 is not 1980's style, so no worries.

There definitely seems be a heavy aesthetic influence in cars, fashion and some aspects of world design. Chippin In sounded very 80s to me which makes sense since it's a song from 2020

But in the end it is definitely a modern take on the Cyberpunk world, I just see the 80s elements as an evolution what we saw in 2020 like what Mike Pondsmith stated many moons ago. I think if people want 80s retrofuture which I still believe some secretly do, play the 2020 tabletop or wait for CDPR do a 2020 prequel.

I would kill for the latter :D

There definitely seems be a heavy aesthetic influence in cars, fashion and some aspects of world design. Chippin In sounded very 80s to me which makes sense since it's a song from 2020

But in the end it is definitely a modern take on the Cyberpunk world, I just see the 80s elements as an evolution what we saw in 2020 like what Mike Pondsmith stated many moons ago. I think if people want 80s retrofuture which I still believe some secretly do, play the 2020 tabletop or wait for CDPR do a 2020 prequel.

I would kill for the latter :D

2020 prequel. There has been one. It's called 2013 :)
There's no real retrofuture in 2077. It seems that in 2077 designers will be somewhat, sometimes inspired by 1980s, but in practical way. And in most cases there's no 1980s feel. Which is good. Retrofuture means the aestethics stuck in 1980s. CP2020 has 1980s aestethics only because, for Mike and his friends, there was no other aesthetics. Most popular SF genres transplant their own decade into their future. That's why CP2077 has 201X aesthetics, because real 2077 aesthetics is a black swan for us. We can't imagine, we lack context to do it. But, in 50 years it will be obvious. And, probly there won't be any 1980s aesthetics in there :)

Just so we're on the same page, this is what we're talking about right?

Can you reveal is the song heard in 2018 still in the game, or has the music been redone after Keanu came onboard?
The Chippin' in heard during Keanu's entrance sounded quite different. Personally I like the 2018 version more.

Or are the 2018 and 2019 "chippin' in's the same song? :eek:
I somewhat worry that the music style has changed... for the worse.

Do we get to hear 'never fade away' (Johnny's other hit single) at some point?
Can we hear the full Chippin' in song please?
28aea64b2f51e799f657d4e7337d859c.jpg

Top Bottom