Sandbox vs Themepark

+
I see a lot of people posting, confusing the two mediums in games and felt it was a good idea to clarify. I see the cliche gta vs CP compatiuons all over but I find them unfair, to both games. CP is a open world themepark, and gta a open world sandbox. They both are open worlds but striving for something very different.

Sandbox - a game world where the story, characters are obviously present they are in fact secondary. Your ability to 'make your own stories' is the main focus. Engage the police then have a high speed chase thought the city, buying business and running them, playing pool or darts with NPCs, romancing and hooking up with as many NPCs as you can, building forts or settlements against attacks, etc GTA, FO4, Skyrim all mostly fall into sandbox. The story and characters can be fun, and enjoyable but because of the sandbox is so open and free form it generally isn't as deep or gripping as the much stronger narrative theme park setting.

Theme park - A much more structured story based narrative game. while can still be a open world is has far less 'fluff' and side actives (founding settlements or playing darts) but the side missions and events it does have are usually far more engrossing and directed. Think of a literal theme park, you are within a gated environment, you can't leave but all the rides and activities are all tailored to one theme or aesthetic. You can't go to the water park across town but if you follow the various paths they all lead so something very engaging and specific. This is why games like CP and those from Telltale Games the story hits the feels so hard as they used the theme park approach. Yes you can't go 'make your own stories' as freely as a sandbox but the strong narrative it lays before you is totally engrossing and strong.

You have to have one or the other not both. GTA, Skyrim, FO4 sandbox open worlds. CP, Balders Gate, Neverwinter Nights 2 and New Vegas theme park open worlds. You either have a strong narrative (and a bit more linear because of that because the focus is story telling) and deeper characters in a themepark or you have a sandbox with a lot more freedom, side activities but far less immersion or depth in the story. As the story in a sandbox is secondary.

If you prefer sandbox you are certainly entitled, to each their own. But complaining about how a theme park isn't a sandbox (or vise versa) is akin to crying about Italian food isn't like Asian food. They are both catering to 2 different tastes and nether are going to be like the other anytime soon even if they happen to both be types of food (or open worlds in this case).

My 2 coppers

Guest 3847602

It's difficult to have both sandboxy game and good writing, but not impossible: New Vegas and Kingdom Come Deliverance comes to mind.
That said, I'm fine with CP2077 gameworld being what it is. I've seen a lot of people complaining about it not being immersive, but immersion is subjective. I get immersed in good story and great characters just fine.

Well, the trailer said things like "not everything is a life and death situation" and introduce manners to spend our dirty money. And concludes with an impressive "welcome to the new generation of open world adventures".

I never heard : this game will not be an sandbox, will be like the older and indie-like open world.

No AI. No weather change. No response from the NPCs. Almost no place to eat or drink. Can't sit out of scripted sequences.

It's a barebone open world. Literaly. Not worth his price tag.

The only way for a gamer to know if a open world will be a theme park version or a sandbox one is pretty easy : it is the time used to make the game and the amount of money needed to develop it. Both of them were enormous for CP2077. And we get a theme park.

Excuse me to be bitter, but I felt lied.

Quite a weird argumentation as you only really have a clear distinction between sandbox and themepark games in MMORPGs since - naturally - you can't really apply these concepts to single player experiences. After all, single player experiences all have a distinct beginning and at least one end following a somewhat more or less strict storyline - even if they're set in open worlds. Single player open worlds are at most hybrids and more likely than not lean towards the themepark concept. Contrary to your argumentation, that also applies to games like Grand Theft Auto (V) or Fallout 4 - you can at most regard GTA Online and Fallout 76 as sandbox games. In that regard, the comparisons between GTA V and CP 2077 are entirely justified.

Not that that should matter at all though: CDPR initially promised that CP 2077 will be an amalgamation of several blockbuster titles; GTA, Mass Effect, Deus Ex etc. pp. included. CP 2077's open world was supposed to be immersive and interactive. They simply didn't keep their promise and delivered a severely unfished product. As it stands, the current version of CP 2077 can at the very most be considered an Alpha version and the lifeless open world is just one aspect that proves that point.

This is not about 'they lied' (I feel 'over stated', 'exaggerated' is a far more accurate descriptor of what they did then "lied") or they "promised" (they actually did NOT promise you anything, in your head you came to that conclusion. NO features were literally promised to you).

But this post is not about ANY of that, this is about what we DID get and a fair analysis when it comes to comparing vs something like a sandbox. CP I don't think can be objectively seen as a sandbox but a themepark. Thus my point is the comparison to a sandbox is apples and oranges and unfair. Again might as well pit Asian food and Italian food against each other, rather then 2 different styles of Asian or Italian.
Post automatically merged:

It's difficult to have both sandboxy game and good writing, but not impossible: New Vegas and Kingdom Come Deliverance comes to mind.
That said, I'm fine with CP2077 gameworld being what it is. I've seen a lot of people complaining about it not being immersive, but immersion is subjective. I get immersed in good story and great characters just fine.

New Vegas is NOT a sandbox. You literally follow the road, the long way around, picking up side missions along the way. It's about as Themepark, gated as you can get. It has the illusion of freedom but really you are following a fairly linear path.

All that aside, yes I agree immersion is subjective but generally if excellently written story, characters do not get one immersed at least partly I'd suggest they are really not into story driven CRPGs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom