Sapkowski-related art?

+
Sapkowski-related art?

The development of the Witcher is coming along nicely and as it goes we are being offered some beautiful screenshots of the game, but there is one thing that is desired almost as much as more screenshots: More concept art. All the art we have seen so far is beautiful, detailed, inspiring, and, in my opinion represents the Witcher's universe exactly the way it was intended to look like (Hopefully). So, considering the lack of offical concept art updates I created this thread to find out if anyone knows where art related to Sapkowski's books in some way can be located. The official Sapkowski site's Russian version (the one I read) has quite a bit of art present, but most of it is done by the general audience of fans and is hence, for the lack of a better word, unprofessional.Also, it would be interesting to know which art style(s) and setting fits Sapkowski's books best in your opinion. For example, I think that the best setting to depict it in is the one similar to that in the concept art: Late Middle Ages, somewhere around 1400s, with some fantasy flair and more recent influences, like some Italian Reniassance styled clothing (though 1400s were the times of the beginning of Italian Reniassance, views differ greatly when it comes to "medieval periods" among historians). The art styles that I think fit best are the realistic, gritty style, like presented in the concept arts and also an anime-imbued style (do not scream "Pokemon" just because I mentioned "anime", I mean the more serious styles, like that in Berserk, for instance), simply because Sapkowski's books have a whole lot of the same complex themes present in the adult-oriented Fantasy anime and manga. And lastly, thank you for dedicating your time to read this drawn-out rant.

Thank you for your concern. We plan to make a big update on our website in October including artwork. We're preparing some materials for the Warsaw Game Show event. More informations soon to come.

This is a nice picture of witcher Geralt http://www.republika.pl/dragonim/KC/GFX/Wiedzmin.jpgAnd there's this funny cartoon http://www.republika.pl/dragonim/KC/GFX/Wiedzmin2.jpg , maybe we could have it translated into English Here's some more art: http://www.kaermorhen.terramail.pl/komnaty/galeria/galeria.h tml

These pieces of art prefer a more "traditional" setting for the most part. You see elves in flowing tunics ( I thought that the elf would look great in a dark-green heavy cloak, overall a bit more clothing and the beret with a squirrel's tail, worn by the Skoya'taells (Spellt it wrong most likely)), the Witcher wearing a long surcoat-like cloth thing (Yennefer was talking about dress style in one of the books, sadly I cannot recall exactly what it was she mentioned now.), and overall more early medieval influences. The art looks good, for the most part, but somehow it seems hard to place the Witcher in the black & white world or early medieval and early medieval-associated literary works. Mind you, that is just my personal opinion, if you think the setting fits well, I am by no means trying to change your point of view (well, maybe a little bit).About the cartoon: I can sadly understand only part of it remotely, because I do not know Polish. Some words are similar to Russian, and that is the only reason I can understand a few of them.

Unfortunatly I only know the fanart represented on the polish, russian and czech websites. Guess this is the stuff most of you know, too. There are some drawings, I like more, others not that much... hard to tell. But I agree mostly with Lord Lightbane, that Sapkowski's stories let me imagine a more realistic medieval world. With all it's gruesome, dirty and dangerous atmosphere. The character- and worlddesign would represent that with e.g. mostly functional attitude. Like clothing in earthy colors (brown and black) that keeps one warm and will resist some travelling (mended and improved in many parts ecetera).The Elves are described as some bunch of guerrilla quite good in the books, so there isn't really much left for imagination. Actually, everything is quite good described by Sapkowski - I never felt irritated and during the whole reading, I always could imagine the things nicely.Another thing. Lordy, I'm not sure what you are trying to find out with asking about the type of art the concepts are. Do you mean the technique? Or the style of the drawed art? Or maybe just what the drawings are showing us?

What I meant was the depictions of the characters and the overall "feel" of actual drawings. For example, when some artists draw a fantasy world they choose a cartoony style (out of recent instances I would say World Of Warcraft is a good example), some prefer an ultra-realistic style, some portray a High Fantasy world no matter what "feel" the universe that they are drawing has. Generally, you could divide it into 3 main styles and many sub-styles: Cartoon-styled, Realistic (the most diverse one -- colour choice, brush choice, etc, etc) and Anime (and generally Japanese influenced styles). Most people imagine the style that fits best for one setting or the other differently, so I was merely interested. Well, to tell you the frank truth, I was interested in finding out just how many people beside myself think an anime drawing style fits the books well.On Clothing styles: I recently picked up The Lady Of The Lake (believe it or not, I did not own a copy until now) and payed more attention to the clothing described. Most of it is very much Reniassance and Late Middle Ages in style. High leather boots, dresses with deep decoltes (that is an anachronism even for Reniassance, but hey, it's fantasy), doublets, berets and the like.

Hm, doesn't Anime belong to the same category as Cartoon-styled? But I guess that's a matter of opinion.Guess if it's Anime, it should be like Berserk (nice example there) or this here: http://www.thomy.org/thomy.htmlAltough it's mostly in german, try to check out the artwork to the first graphic novel, I pretty much like this drawingstyle.In my edition of the first two witcher books, there are one to two illustrations per shortstory. They seem to be some kind of woodcuts, quite abstract. Showing the main plot of the story.Didn't found them to be fitting. When it comes to the witcher world, it should be as realistic as possible.

The artwork on the website the link to which you posted looks great. I absolutely love the locations -- THAT is what the Witcher's world should look like when it comes to colour scheme. Dark, dreary, shades of gray mostly. Beautiful.But I would not say the drawing style of the characters is anime. It is a more western style, with a bit of flat colouring added, which makes it look to some degree "animeish". But I agree about Berserk. Berserk's choice of clothing and armour styles is a bit confusing though. It looks at times like the 15th century, at times like the 16th. The clothing overall is not fitting for either. Other than that Berserk is great.

Huge gallery here: http://sapkowski.pl/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery& file=indexAll of works are Sapkowski-related. Mostly inspired by Witcher.

Top Bottom