Savage Bear has Become too Strong?

+
DRK3;n8939860 said:
And its exactly because of that change that i dont like him anymore and dont use him now, when everyone is - i used him with Harald, for damage but also self-wounding. The priestesses weren't 1point like now so i could still use them. Except now... self-damaging doesnt work.

Same here... ever since the change I don't like adding S. Bear to any SK deck.
In general I liked this card a lot better when it was really savage :).

Pff u may not add bears to your hipster 10 rank decks, but 99% of other players just spam that bears every round.
Its best bronze in game. If round lasts like 10 turns, its 16++ str bronze card. Even more vs keleno harpyes / reaver scouts / wichers - crones etc...
Must be 4 or 5 str with same effect. Or doomed with 6 str.
Now its just auto-included in SK decks

If it was only the bears, it would be bearable. (i know)
but the shield maiden are insane as well and just as much auto-include. That card is stupidly powerful. and they synergy with the bears.
Add that to very good silvers and gold sets, priestesses of freiya to bring back the bears in round 3, and the bears suddenly become a huge problem.

Priestesses used to be the only auto include bronze in sk (well, the pirates were kind of auto include early CB I guess). The rest was depending on the type of deck played.
Now there's pretty much 6 to 9 auto include bronze out of 15 bronze cards, talk about variety.

Last edited:
I'm pretty new but have to agree that bears are about 1 point too strong. 5 strength would make it much easier to counter at least one of them and the ping should happen after the opponent's card takes effect. In other words, if I lock the damn thing it shouldn't ping me.

Im genuinley impressed how CDPR seem to have managed to learn nothing from closed beta and somehow make the Open Beta more poorly balanced and unfun to play. Savage bear being a PRIME example of CDPR not making balance changes with whole-game effects in mind seemingly.

CDPR really need to stop looking at Blizzards balancing roadmap when deciding how to go about things and generally stop what seems to be a un-needed effort to copy some of Hearthstones disliked mechanics (tempo/aggro being king.) The games current design is a mess of half-baked or outright poorly thought out ideas and CDPR really need to take a step back and seriously consider where their trying to take the game.

Last edited:
The bear can easily be adjusted.

- Bear only hits hand played units (makes it weaker against Harpies, Foglets, and other spawns - Behemoths are already not good)
- Bear hit priority gets fixed (1 bear destroys Kaedweni Sergeants + Blue stripes commando | Bears hits Earth Golems from deathwish | Bears hit after lock)
- Strength nerf

I'm sad the bug fix (wrong hit order) is taking so long. A small fix like that could make it less annoying and maybe even not require more adjustment.

MrRagdoll;n8898120 said:
With the bear update NG can use medic to steal high value SK cards and opponent SK can revive own units even if bear is on board. If you loose to bear spam then instead of crying about it you should learn to counter it.
... if anyone still played NG. rofl, rofl, rofl.

Quintino77;n8934010 said:
All this noise about a Bear that can be easily removed or locked or banished or stealed..
It can't be locked, silly. Well, it CAN be, but it still deals damage if it's locked. It also uses a lock... bronzes shouldn't require locks to counter.
Oh, and if it gets rez'ed in round 2 or 3? Lock goes away (not that it did anything anyways).

arubino99;n8972720 said:
It can't be locked, silly. Well, it CAN be, but it still deals damage if it's locked. It also uses a lock... bronzes shouldn't require locks to counter.
Oh, and if it gets rez'ed in round 2 or 3? Lock goes away (not that it did anything anyways).

I am pretty confident bears don't deal damage if they are locked.

I think at the very least, they should only hit units played from hand. A bronze with that strength that hit everything without any set up + synergy is a bit much.
Shield maidens should also be silver at current state, 18 points swing + synergy is even better than Crones.

StrykerxS77x;n8972890 said:
I am pretty confident bears don't deal damage if they are locked.

Well, you're mistaken. Lock units get hit, every time. I believe it also hits deathwish units, even when they carry over into the next round. Of course, I'm not sure deathwish deserves to function the way it does for every unit with it. But that is not a bear problem. Oddly, if you kill the bear with a unit the unit does not get hit.

Bear is mostly a problem vs Monsters. TBH I think Shieldmaidens are worse due to the fact they're essentially R1-R2 bronze Witchers and better than a number of golds in R3.

fartingunicorn;n8973380 said:
I think at the very least, they should only hit units played from hand. A bronze with that strength that hit everything without any set up + synergy is a bit much.
Shield maidens should also be silver at current state, 18 points swing + synergy is even better than Crones.

It's amazing that the shield maidens still have the veteran tag. Crazy.

[h=3]From Lifecoach (Gwent tournament champion) interview:

With the current patch, there has been a considerable change in the high ladder meta. How do you feel the different factions fare right now?[/h] "....
Skellige has essentially developed into God Tier, they nerfed hunter which was a very big hit, but they then also buffed bears which I think make up for the lack of Brokvar Hunters and their old abilities. I believe Skellige is now the best faction by a large margin, mainly because the rest of their competition got heavily nerfed and Skellige stayed at about the same power level. I think the current ladder reflects this as it’s essentially 70%+ Skellige in high ladder which is absolutely insane. There are no real counters for Savage Bears or Axemen, maybe Mardroeme or Cyprian Wiley but they’re very niche cards that don’t work in the general meta. I think if any factions has more than 40% playrate in the ladder I think it’s making the game much worse, especially in the current setting where Open Beta just came out and even a few days with an oppresive deck or faction can make the experience very negative for new players...."

In short: I guess it's not just us imagining things.

Top Bottom