Savage Bear has Become too Strong?

+
fartingunicorn;n8975290 said:
[h=3]From Lifecoach (Gwent tournament champion) interview:

With the current patch, there has been a considerable change in the high ladder meta. How do you feel the different factions fare right now?[/h] "....
Skellige has essentially developed into God Tier, they nerfed hunter which was a very big hit, but they then also buffed bears which I think make up for the lack of Brokvar Hunters and their old abilities. I believe Skellige is now the best faction by a large margin, mainly because the rest of their competition got heavily nerfed and Skellige stayed at about the same power level. I think the current ladder reflects this as it’s essentially 70%+ Skellige in high ladder which is absolutely insane. There are no real counters for Savage Bears or Axemen, maybe Mardroeme or Cyprian Wiley but they’re very niche cards that don’t work in the general meta. I think if any factions has more than 40% playrate in the ladder I think it’s making the game much worse, especially in the current setting where Open Beta just came out and even a few days with an oppresive deck or faction can make the experience very negative for new players...."

In short: I guess it's not just us imagining things.

Last Consent. And he certainly knows what he's talking about.
I'm so frustrated that I do not play the last few days and I'm waiting for what will be.

The entirety of OB seems to try and mitigate bad plays on your part and streamline cards so that Johnny Casual doesn't need to worry about damaging his own units. Weather, bears and agility play into this.

Please don't this as me bragging or looking down on people. I'm a low ranking player who mostly plays casual but this just seems to pander to the lowest common denominator.

Last edited:
Snake_Foxhounder;n8977590 said:
The entirety of CB seems to try and mitigate bad plays on your part and streamline cards so that Johnny Casual doesn't need to worry about damaging his own units. Weather, bears and agility play into this.

You mean OB?

The bears literally counter everything

As the title reads, as if they don't have enough tempo and control with the ability to resurrect key cards these bears totally shut down alot of decks merely by being there, or leading into a shield maiden fiesta. Ok let me lock this bear oh it still hit me anyway. Ok let me kill these 3 bears, oh look they are back. Well rounds over here comes my carry over strength oh look at that the bear swiped before he even hit the graveyard. The value on these things is insane and right now I don't even want to ladder anymore because if I dont play skellige I don't get very far.

Worry not! Overhaul of the whole Skellige faction coming soon! They will become dedicated to fully support and entertain the opponent.

To give you some examples:

Savage Bear: base strength 4, every turn damage self and buffs all enemy units by 2 wherever they are. If resurrected the opponent draws 2 cards.

Clan Drummond Shieldmaiden: 1 base strength + 1 armor, damage a unit by 3 (allies only). When played voice line changed in: "Our shield is better than nothing!"

Clan Tuirseach Axeman: 2 base strength, no armor, buffs self by 1 only when the opponent wins the round, when resurrected loses 3 strength.

Priestess of Freya: 1 base strength, units resurrected damaged by 3. Deploy: opponent get a free keg (legendary guaranteed) then banish itself for the next 5 matches.

The list goes on and on.

Be patient, soon we will remember bears with affection and we will understand that there have always been much more problematic cards to begin with.

:)

Savage Bear: Make it a Disloyal unit: 6 Power; So for the Priestess of Freya to not resurrect or any other unit that resurrects it...

Savage Bear; with this, it can still target only the enemy's side but the opponent will have to make a choice either keep the Savage Bear on the board and play as a point, and sacrifice the loss of many points on his / her side or simply combat and remove?

This methodology on the Savage Bear will distribute fairness and ensures both players are at a equal standpoint. Then as it enters the opponent's graveyard, the savage bear will banish with tag doomed; for the opponent to not play the opposition card.

So I was in shower, and came up with an idea for balancing/nerfing the Bear, see what people think of it.
Make it 5 Strength, 3 Armor and add a “damage self by 1” to when its ability triggers.

On paper, this make it about a strength 8 card (since the damage would be block by the armor first), and after the armor, will be just 1 to 1 trade off. But I think this also add few more interesting synergy and counters.

The bear can still be use to wound the target, and wounding itself, which might allow some synergy with other Skell cards. It can also be healed and buff for better usage. It can also be easier countered by damaging attacks and weather, which even if not kill it, will reduce its usage.

Top Bottom