Save file location and transfer question

+
The choice was not made by any game developers, but rather by Microsoft. It is quite possible, of course, to have the master folder, "My Documents" be on the larger drive (or partition), but I don't recall the procedure for setting that up. Why don't you go where this points: http://www.google.com/search?as_q=move+windows+my+documents+folder

Hi - I do not understand how it is 'Microsoft's choice' surely the developers chose to use the My Documents folder (why?). I already moved My Documents for my storage and backup etc convenience. Out of 27 games currently available on my drive more than 20 store saved games in a folder off the game root.

how I can transformer the savegame VISTA for XP compatible? :dead:psPatch 1.3 when out?sorry i'm italian.

The savegame will work under XP :) Nothing special to do :) Just start a new game when xp will be installed, then, copy the savegames in the created savegame directory :)

I'm going to need to reinstall Windows XP which will wipe out my registry entries for The Witcher. If I follow this by simply installing Witcher over itself (and then patching) will my savegames still be intact? Or should I uninstall The Witcher before re-installing WinXP?

you can simply copy out your savegames from your mydocuments/thewitcher/saves folder somewhere else.. (mine where around 1GB at the end, btw :dead:)and simply put them back inside your saves folder after reinstallation

I just had to clean up my computer and install everything again. I saved the file in which my Saves were placed, however, now that I have reinstalled witcher the game does not see or find the previous saves. My understanding is that it saves these in the root directory for My Documents in a folder with the name of Witcher. can someone help me so that I can continue from where I left off. Thank you

Save a game in new installation. This will create and properly setup the save game folder. Once that is set, copy all your original save games into this folder. :)

Is it possible to change the location where save files are stored? i don't have a lot of room on my C drive and i'd like to save on a different one if its possible.

I second to that question. I do not use the whole "C:\Documents and settings\risa2000\..." Microsoft scheme, because I do not want to store data on my C: drive, which is supposed to contain only system (so I can easily backup it, defragment it, etc). Witcher however can generate significant amount of data with saves, if you save a lot (reaching gigabytes).

Your saves should be in (WinXp) C:\documents and settings\"your username"\my documents\witcher\saves\ folder. If not, put it there.

of course. if you have windows xp, go: start -> right click "my documents" -> choose folder locationmaybe its not in-game choice but which game today gives such option. you can move your "my documents" folder to another drive. most games store their files in there.

I haven't seen a way to change the games default setting for saving games without changing game programming--not for the inexperienced--however, you could let the game save to it's default location while playing the game and later make copies of them to your other drive and delete them out of your c: drive when doing your maintenance schedules. Just have to recopy them back there when want to play game again.Also, if done right--I hadn't toyed with this--but the previous suggestion of setting up your user account "My Documents" to be on another drive could work as long as the links in Win all point there.

the first suggestion worked like a charm :) when i changed it even moved all the files to the other drive for me.

Top Bottom