Save file location and transfer question

+
If you want a more technical solution read about symbolic links (called junctions in Windows) here http://www.shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=284 Basically lets you crate a folder on any hard disk partition, except on a network drive, and create a link to it that looks like a folder. So I guess you'd copy your saves from, say, "My Documents\The Witcher\saves" to "OTHER DRIVE:\save" and create a symbolic link called "saves" in "My Documents\The Witcher". This then looks like a folder in My Documents but the contents are on another hard drive.btw - I have only ever used this seriously on Linux (its a very common technique in Unix operatiing systems), and once or twice on Windows using the command line tool from sysinternals. However looks like other GUI solutions are available that are integrated into the explorer shell. Anyway read up about it first if you want to try it.

Got a pretty much cleaned up system so to say. But if i move the save folder, well you know what happens ^^ i'm looking for what to do to set up the saving location.

Don't think you can - it's part of XP/Vista guidelines for games to store data somewhere under My Documents. The Witcher will only look there for saves, but you can do pretty much whatever you want with those you don't need right away.I suppose you could try meddling with something like linkd (part of Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit) to create a junction instead of the saves folder, but I haven't tried that myself.

I bought this game a few days ago, and played it at another house. When I returned home, I took the two most recent saved games with me on a pendrive. However now I have reinstalled it, the saved games are said to be "corrupted".I also noticed bizarrely that the naming system was different, despite being the same version. My old file was named like this:000005_-_Temple_Quarter__autosave_-006.TheWitcherSaveHowever since the new files were named like this: 000004 - Kaer Morhen - exterior (autosave)-006.TheWitcherSaveI had to rename the original to:000006 - Temple Quarter - exterior (autosave)-006.TheWitcherSaveBefore it was properly named when I opened The Witcher. However it remained "corrupted" or "unable to be found". Has anyone else had a problem like this? Is there a way to transfer the saved game?

The one without underscores should be correct.It looks like either the transfer went bad (check how they are named on your pen drive vs named on your other system from which you transferred) or the patch versions on your two computers is different.I have never had any problems transferring savegames.

I had to reinstall the game and I kept all my old saves; where do I need to put them in order for the game to find them? Thanks for the help!

Mine are found in a subdirectory of My Documents, and I don't recall changing that location when installing so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic and say that's the default location :)So, the full path might look something like this: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\The Witcher\saves\

I just found out I have to go away on work for 2 weeks. I was wondering if its possible to import a game save from another pc to my laptop. Both have same OS. Just curious hope someone might know the answer.

If you have the game installed on both machines, it should be a simple matter of copying a saved game from the Witcher saves game directory (from memory, the default path is C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\The Witcher\saves\ ) of one machine onto the other :) Is that what you mean?

Hi allIs it just a case of copying my saved games from Win XP and pasting them to the appropriate Vista folder (and is the the same location)?I've been toying with the idea of getting a new PC, then my graphics card went pop and it forced my hand a bit :DI'm going fromAMD64 37002GB memoryATI X1800XTWindows XP Home19" TFTtoCore i7 920 (overclocked to 3.2)6GB triple channel memory (1600mhz)ATI 4870 1GBWindows Vista 64 bit22" Samsung widescreenVery much looking forward to cranking things up on my new PC, just want to make sure my saved games are ok!

I'd suggest to install the game, make a new savegame and look where it ended up. I have no idea tough, if the XP savegames work on vista, you just need to try that.Hmm... I'm envious... well, except for the vista. And the ATI graphics. But aside from that, nice outfit, have fun gaming! :D

DelightfulMcCoy said:
I'd suggest to install the game, make a new savegame and look where it ended up. I have no idea tough, if the XP savegames work on vista, you just need to try that.Hmm... I'm envious... well, except for the vista. And the ATI graphics. But aside from that, nice outfit, have fun gaming! :D
No choice with Vista really, I need 64 bit due to the memory. As for the ATI card, best bang for the buck right now, it's not far behind the GTX280 in most benchies (and even beats it in some) but is much cheaper.Thanks for the advice on the saved games, I was hoping somebody could give me a definitive answer though - I would hate to have to start again!

markuscj said:
No choice with Vista really, I need 64 bit due to the memory. As for the ATI card, best bang for the buck right now, it's not far behind the GTX280 in most benchies (and even beats it in some) but is much cheaper.Thanks for the advice on the saved games, I was hoping somebody could give me a definitive answer though - I would hate to have to start again!
they work okput them in c:\user\\documents\The Witcher\saves

markuscj said:
I would hate to have to start again!
It's not that tragic to start over - I'm doing my 3rd playthrough right now, need to see how all the paths unfold. :DMy other remarks are just personal preferences. I had two ATI cards (two different generations) and both disappointed me thoroughly, thus I promised myself not to stray from the GeForce path again. ;) And I just loathe Vista, I rather waste some of my 4gb ram. But I am just now downloading the beta of Windows 7, this looks more promising (which doesn't mean that I won't still use XP for at least one more year, even if the testing is good - there's no money for new hardware anyway).Anywhoo, have a lot of fun with your new pc and hopefully not too much vista grief.

I had to completely reinstall vista. I put my "The Witcher" saved games back into "documents" after the vista reinstall. "The Witcher" displays "no saved games". What am i doing wrong? Thanks!

It needs to be in the folder My Documents/The Witcher/Saves, at least on XP. Make sure the folder The Witcher/Saves is in whatever passes for My Documents on Vista, I would guess. Someone with Vista can probably help you out better.

nerol71 said:
I had to completely reinstall vista. I put my "The Witcher" saved games back into "documents" after the vista reinstall. "The Witcher" displays "no saved games". What am i doing wrong? Thanks!
start a new game and save it as soon as you can, then look where the savegame was created, and put the older savegames there

Can I transfer save games from the Witcher on an XP to a Vista? Will they be compatible?

Top Bottom