Save files are corrupted

+
I am also having this issue with all of my save files being corrupted.

After reading the comments on this subject I checked my save files size and they are all 8mb+ so I cannot continue my 70hr game.

Do they have a bug tracker anywhere? Would be nice to know that they have it on their radar...

I do hope they fix this soon.

I had a lot of problems with save games hanging while saving, disappearing, etc. If you are on Steam, make sure to turn off "steam cloud backup" for this game in the game properties. I did that and ALL my save problems vanished instantly.

I had a lot of problems with save games hanging while saving, disappearing, etc. If you are on Steam, make sure to turn off "steam cloud backup" for this game in the game properties. I did that and ALL my save problems vanished instantly.
How large are your saves?

This unfortunately did not fix my problem with the save files.

Have the same issue. Any new saves from my last playable save WILL be damaged. Damaged save files have similar symptom of 8.2MB or more. Can't progress now. This could be the first few game breaking bug(s) we might have stumbled. Sent support in hopes to salvage the save or something, so far no response.

Feels bad especially for those who's on "Crafts" build.
Eventually, a bunch of players with hours of play time will hit this point with bloated saves and such, hopefully it wont reach to that point during Christmas.

Last edited:
Did some testing on what I experienced caused issues - crafting. Long post, TLDR at the bottom. Also going to open a ticket with this info to see if that can gain more exposure. Btw I'm not an IT professional so not sure if any of this even matters in the end, just using slightly logical testing.

- Starting file size - 7,965KB.
- Total item/upgrade components - 87,409.
- Money - 148,288
- Level - 33
- Crafting level - 18 (max xp for that level)

Test 1: After loading in, I immediately opened my inventory and dropped every item I could out of my inventory and saved. File size reduced by 2KB to 7,963KB. Picking the items back up and saving reduced the file size by an additional 14KB to 7,949KB. Repeating these steps, dropping items again decreased file size by 2KB to 7,947KB. However picking the items up increased file size by 2KB this time, back to 7,949KB. I then crafted 39 weapons (Ashura - 15 rare, 15 epic, 1 legendary), this decreased file size by 158KB to 7,791KB. Dropping just those crafted weapons decreased file size by 2KB again and picking them up increased by 2KB.

Results - Inconclusive but a good starting point. The first reduction of 14KB when picking items up could have been caused by items being deleted when dropped(?). Spending materials seems to be a good way to decrease size.

Test 2: Reloaded original save size of 7,965KB. Crafting the Ashuras (37 this time due to perk proc, which did not change the amount of materials used) reduced file size again 158KB. This could indicate that the materials used amounted to the same reduction and the variation of amount crafted did not have a noticeable impact (wrong...), however it was only 2 less crafts. Dropping and picking up resulted in the same 2KB decrease/increase.

Results - Inconclusive but now let's look at drawing down materials.

Test 3: Reloaded original save size of 7,965KB. I crafted approx 3k MaxDox MK.3 (9 common, 3 uncommon) to draw down item component count. Ended with around 50k in total components, approx 36k reduction. I saved after the craft was done and my file size was at the max 8,192KB. I dropped the 3k that I crafted, saved, still 8,192KB. Finally, sold to drop box, waited two days for drop box to clear it's inventory, saved and still hitting the 8,192KB file size. All are saves are corrupted.

Results - ...wtf

Test 4: Reloaded original save size of 7,965KB. Instead of doing a lot of crafting, lets upgrade legendary items to draw down everything at once with not a lot of interactions. Upgraded legendary weapon until legendary items were empty as was done in test 2 with the Ashura crafting (29 legendary item component was the limiting factor). This reduced every item and upgrade component count, file size at 7,800KB, about in line with crafting the Ashura. Let's get rid of more rare and epic materials then since legendary was depleted. Crafting 50 epic headgear pieces (12 uncommon, 9 rare, 15 epic) resulted in a file size of 7,821KB, 21KB increase. Let's try crafting legendary item components to go back to upgrading then. Crafted 25 Legendary crafting components, upgraded various items until depleted, file size now at 7,834KB, 13KB increase.

Final results - No clue and I wasted more time. I could do more testing but I think this is enough for anyone in the same boat of "How can I fix this" to just not waste time and wait for an official response.

TLDR -Removing items from inventory (dropping) barely decreased file size. Crafting and upgrading legendary weapons to reduce components was a slight help. Lot's of crafting interaction increased file size. Inconclusive, so might be best to wait for official response instead of wasting time trying to fix if not IT Professional.

I have the exact same problem and I also believe that it has to do with crafting, cause is crafted a lot!

No, but stop loading saved games.

First, back up all of your save files by copying them to a folder on your desktop or something. Then, do a verify / repair of the game.

After that, try loading. If it still doesn't work, erase the "corrupted" saves and replace them with the backups. Keep doing this as you troubleshoot. It can often be the loading process, not the saving process that borks a save.

If you were using any sort of modification to the game (like the community's AVX fix), and you disabled it, put it back in place. Any modification to the game can leave reference data that will corrupt the game's ability to read the save files unless the modifications are also running.

EDIT: Also, this assumes you're running on a PC. If ever requesting tech support, the first things we need to know are:
1.) Platform (including specs if on PC)
2.) Brief description of the bug.
3.) Steps to reproduce the bug, if applicable.

Why is this moderator not responding anymore? The Thread was 1 hour old and a moderator answered, now no more response but a lot of people have this problem.
This should be an easy fix but right now prevents some people from playing anymore...

Same thing for me, did a lot of crafting, (got over 200k crafting mat at this point), and now I can't access recent saves.

My saves also reached 8192KB, and I'm playing on GOG.

Last edited:
My save game also got corrupted, I've noticed it happened once I've entered the Hiromi's Apartment in the Pieces sidemission. Every save after this mission is broken, everything is working unless I do that mission.

I have the exact same problem and I also believe that it has to do with crafting, cause is crafted a lot!

Why is this moderator not responding anymore? The Thread was 1 hour old and a moderator answered, now no more response but a lot of people have this problem.
This should be an easy fix but right now prevents some people from playing anymore...

I haven't responded for 3 reasons:

1.) The forums may be a bit busy, and it would be fairly unreasonable to expect that the team can give every thread constant and personal attention. I'm not sure why that would even be an expectation...

2.) I already responded with everything I can offer for the issue. Can't really offer anything else I haven't already said. I just wanted to make sure people didn't wind up inadvertantly damaging saved games that were perfectly fine.

3.) CDPR Support handles these issues. If the solution is not already known and community can't figure it out, members need to open up a ticket here:

Please, read the appropriate FAQ section to the end, ensuring all suggestions have been followed. If the problems persist, you can use the "Contact Us" link to send in a ticket.

Be sure to include your system (including specs if on PC), a brief description of the issue, and the steps taken to reproduce it (if applicable).

Based on what I'm seeing in the thread now, I'm guessing that the issue may be due to cloud saving. Also, for people that encountered it after doing the crafting / selling thing -- was this done legit in the game, or did it require you to use some method of exploit? (Like a duplication exploit for example?) If so, I'd strongly recommend against it, as that may be creating inventory or scripting issues that lead to or exacerbate the corruption.

Either way, I'd recommend everyone send in an official ticket if they haven't already done so.

Also, for people that encountered it after doing the crafting / selling thing -- was this done legit in the game, or did it require you to use some method of exploit? (Like a duplication exploit for example?) If so, I'd strongly recommend against it, as that may be creating inventory or scripting issues that lead to or exacerbate the corruption.
This is not game exploit, these are not cheats, this is the use of the game mechanic "Technical Ability" which is very poorly balanced, and allows you to get more ingredients after disasemble than was spent on craft ...

And the main problem is that the game client does not have the ability to load save >8mb, and according to reviews, this happens anyway, just by performing any actions in the game, the size grows and runs into this limit over time.

the issue is definitely not related to cloud saving, at least for me, i dont have that turned on in steam. I think it's an issue related to save file size i'm almost certain. 97 hours in, can't do many more tasks or else the save file gets corrupted.

What a joke. How does CDPR not catch a game breaking bug that happens simply by playing the game? Has no one in QA done a full playthrough of a release version of the game? How many more game breaking bugs that trigger in equally innocuous ways have yet to be discovered?

Last edited:
Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I tried emptying some items from my inventory but that didn't help at all.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I tried emptying some items from my inventory but that didn't help at all.

As you can see here, there is more or les no fix as of today. Unfortunately...

Did some testing on what I experienced caused issues - crafting. Long post, TLDR at the bottom. Also going to open a ticket with this info to see if that can gain more exposure. Btw I'm not an IT professional so not sure if any of this even matters in the end, just using slightly logical testing.

- Starting file size - 7,965KB.
- Total item/upgrade components - 87,409.
- Money - 148,288
- Level - 33
- Crafting level - 18 (max xp for that level)

Test 1: After loading in, I immediately opened my inventory and dropped every item I could out of my inventory and saved. File size reduced by 2KB to 7,963KB. Picking the items back up and saving reduced the file size by an additional 14KB to 7,949KB. Repeating these steps, dropping items again decreased file size by 2KB to 7,947KB. However picking the items up increased file size by 2KB this time, back to 7,949KB. I then crafted 39 weapons (Ashura - 15 rare, 15 epic, 1 legendary), this decreased file size by 158KB to 7,791KB. Dropping just those crafted weapons decreased file size by 2KB again and picking them up increased by 2KB.

Results - Inconclusive but a good starting point. The first reduction of 14KB when picking items up could have been caused by items being deleted when dropped(?). Spending materials seems to be a good way to decrease size.

Test 2: Reloaded original save size of 7,965KB. Crafting the Ashuras (37 this time due to perk proc, which did not change the amount of materials used) reduced file size again 158KB. This could indicate that the materials used amounted to the same reduction and the variation of amount crafted did not have a noticeable impact (wrong...), however it was only 2 less crafts. Dropping and picking up resulted in the same 2KB decrease/increase.

Results - Inconclusive but now let's look at drawing down materials.

Test 3: Reloaded original save size of 7,965KB. I crafted approx 3k MaxDox MK.3 (9 common, 3 uncommon) to draw down item component count. Ended with around 50k in total components, approx 36k reduction. I saved after the craft was done and my file size was at the max 8,192KB. I dropped the 3k that I crafted, saved, still 8,192KB. Finally, sold to drop box, waited two days for drop box to clear it's inventory, saved and still hitting the 8,192KB file size. All are saves are corrupted.

Results - ...wtf

Test 4: Reloaded original save size of 7,965KB. Instead of doing a lot of crafting, lets upgrade legendary items to draw down everything at once with not a lot of interactions. Upgraded legendary weapon until legendary items were empty as was done in test 2 with the Ashura crafting (29 legendary item component was the limiting factor). This reduced every item and upgrade component count, file size at 7,800KB, about in line with crafting the Ashura. Let's get rid of more rare and epic materials then since legendary was depleted. Crafting 50 epic headgear pieces (12 uncommon, 9 rare, 15 epic) resulted in a file size of 7,821KB, 21KB increase. Let's try crafting legendary item components to go back to upgrading then. Crafted 25 Legendary crafting components, upgraded various items until depleted, file size now at 7,834KB, 13KB increase.

Final results - No clue and I wasted more time. I could do more testing but I think this is enough for anyone in the same boat of "How can I fix this" to just not waste time and wait for an official response.

TLDR -Removing items from inventory (dropping) barely decreased file size. Crafting and upgrading legendary weapons to reduce components was a slight help. Lot's of crafting interaction increased file size. Inconclusive, so might be best to wait for official response instead of wasting time trying to fix if not IT Professional.

No, but stop loading saved games.

First, back up all of your save files by copying them to a folder on your desktop or something. Then, do a verify / repair of the game.

After that, try loading. If it still doesn't work, erase the "corrupted" saves and replace them with the backups. Keep doing this as you troubleshoot. It can often be the loading process, not the saving process that borks a save.

If you were using any sort of modification to the game (like the community's AVX fix), and you disabled it, put it back in place. Any modification to the game can leave reference data that will corrupt the game's ability to read the save files unless the modifications are also running.

EDIT: Also, this assumes you're running on a PC. If ever requesting tech support, the first things we need to know are:
1.) Platform (including specs if on PC)
2.) Brief description of the bug.
3.) Steps to reproduce the bug, if applicable.

I'm sorry but this is poor advise from the moderator and solves nothing. This is a game breaking bug that anyone who plays more than 80 hours will encounter (even sooner if the user is crafting a lot). The game save files become unusable after reaching 8MB file size and there is no way for the user to fix it. This requires an URGENT bug fix because every day more players are running into this issue. Eventually every single player who loves this game (like I do) will get to an 8MB save file. I recommend that CDPR pays URGENT attention to this issue. Many more players will be demanding refunds because the game becomes unplayable and CDPR doesn't need more bad publicity at the moment. If I was a shareholder in CDPR I would be concerned about a game having been released that wasn't ready to be released. Poor management decision. I'm sure the developers of this great game would agree.

Well on support site they dont have the option about save files not loading just "cannot save the game" and "where are my savefiles located?"
welp i made a ticket hopefully they are gonna fix it soon

Yes, guys, it seems that the developers do not care about the forum, and the bot moderator ignores obvious problems and does not interact with the developers, so I suggest everyone write a ticket too (you can copy my example). Perhaps the massiveness will affect the speed of fix ...
Send ticket
Code:
sav.dat limit >8mb

After the sav.dat file reaches the limit of 8192KB, the game stops loading and gives an error:
"Saved data is damaged and cannot be loaded"
Also, after the limit of >5mb, a black screen appears for ~1min before loading the game
Screenshot_2020.12.18.12.32.37.png

Top Bottom