Save files are corrupted

+
I was about to spec into crafting but after seeing this, gave up on it. I'll just hope to find good loot. Hopefully they can fix this absurdity soon.

My Paradox game savefiles can reach into a hundred megabytes without problem, why are we having such a low limit in 2020? The game takes up 60GBs and 8MB had to be the Y2K limit for savegames?

I was about to spec into crafting but after seeing this, gave up on it. I'll just hope to find good loot. Hopefully they can fix this absurdity soon.

My Paradox game savefiles can reach into a hundred megabytes without problem, why are we having such a low limit in 2020? The game takes up 60GBs and 8MB had to be the Y2K limit for savegames?
after 5.5 MBs it takes about a minute to load saves. Maybe it was their safeguard maybe they knew there was a problem with it. Who knows I just hope they fix this ASAP

114 hours in, I just got this same message. Been doing side missions and earning money to buy gear needed to progress without enemies being bullet sponges. So, while I havent progressed far in the Main story, I've done a rather silly amount of side missions.

I've already long since saved over older files before using crafting for money. Everything I pick up that sells for less than the components they break down into are disassembled and used to create new weapons to sell.

I've noticed the same thing others have:
1- Load times hang on a black screen for between 30 seconds to 2 minutes. (I can only guess the time increases based on file size)
2 - then the save files become "damaged" and can no longer be loaded.

Who in their right mind designs a game with 8mb total capacity for a load, for a game that was over 60 gigs to play no less?

I love the game, but if after 114 hours, I lose all my work... I'll drop it and play something else.
Minor bugs such as graphical glitches, low FPS for AMD CPU and an un-optimized game I can deal with. To make it so that crafting, a part of the game some of us enjoy and a way to generate money (there's even a perk to increase sale prices), breaks the save files is just plain wrong.

I've submitted reports to the technical forums. As of now, crafting is a useless tree to spec in if crafted goods break the game by increasing the file size.

Edit: for anyone curious, I save over older files because I dont want to be able to go back and make new choices (as I know I would) if my choices turn out to be less than satisfactory. Makes any playthrough unique.

Not all games are designed for unlimited, endless play. Not all games are designed for NG++++ etc. CP2077, as of now, seems to have been designed with upper limits in place (likely to avoid issues elsewhere in the engine, just like TW3).

The workaround for now?

Don't do it. Play the game until the end, then start a new game. Don't continue saving and reloading the same character for too long. Don't craft thousands of items at once.

Is that ideal? No. And hopefully it can be worked out in the future. Although...maybe not. No game that CDPR has ever created has ever been designed for ongoing, unlimited play. (NG+ was added into TW3 after its release; it was never intended. It was extremely difficult to get working without major issues, is capped at level 100, still gets wildly weird at higher levels, and there is no NG++. It can only be done once per playthrough.) CDPR designs their games with a finite structure: with a beginning, a middle, and an end. They are not meant to be played on and on like Dark Souls, GTA, or an MMO. They're meant to be restarted from the beginning with a new character and played differently. Love it or loathe it, that's the design.

I'm sorry but this is a gross misinterpretation of the problem, people's save files are being corrupted before even finishing the game.

I never had any problems with the Witcher 3 even when playing deep into NG+. They have a crafting skill tree in this game, it seems like passing the blame onto players in disingenuous. How many items should one be able to craft? How many times should one be able to save? How many hours is acceptable to clock for a single playthrough? I get that this game has a laundry list of bugs and a ton of fires to put out, but this one simply needs to be added to that list and not hand waved away.

I've never had to deal with it in my game, either, but I assure you there were quite a few people that wound up with inventory issues because of this inherent limitation of the engine. There were even some members of the community that built a utility to help (PC players at least) recover a functional save if it happened. But there is no "fix" for it -- it's just not how the game was designed. It sounds like it may be a manifestation of the same type of thing here.

And it has nothing to do with blame. :D It has to do with reality. If I buy a Dodge pick-up, then try to outrun a Ferrari...I'm gonna lose. Every single time. If I try to haul a grand piano with a Ferrari...it's not gonna fit. Ever. That's not anyone's "fault". I'm just trying to use the machine for something it wasn't designed to do.

I can be disappointed. I can complain. I can get all upset about it. The Dodge is never going to win races against sports cars, and the Ferrari is never going to work like hauler. That's not the way the machines were built.

Basically I discovered that with perks, you can craft items like the bounce back, then disassemble it for more materials than it cost to craft it. I'm using this to get lots of materials to then upgrade my equipment to the max and also get crafting to level 20. After further review of the save game files, I found there's a max limit of 8MB on save game files because the save files would stop increasing in size once they hit that limit.

Crafting seems to cause the save file to increase in size fairly quickly, even if you use up the components or sell them to a vendor, the save file does not decrease in size.

I've already loaded a previous save to continue playing. I would consider the save file max size and/or crafting causing the save file to grow in size counts as a bug, but not sure which is the easier problem to fix.

Cool -- if you're willing, can you confirm if the same type of thing happens when your craft different items...or does the size of the save file increase that way with everything? Not sure why the limit is there, but there's got to be some reason. What I'm guessing now is that it might be some sort of "bloat", like in Beth games. For example, a script that never terminates properly when you craft the items, running on and on. Then using the crafting skill again creates another instance of the same script, and the references start to dogpile onto your save. Something like that.

I'm sorry but this is a gross misinterpretation of the problem, people's save files are being corrupted before even finishing the game.

Yes. Obviously there's an issue. What I'm saying is: it's something like this.

E.g. if the game was designed to be completed in 30-50 hours, and players don't complete the game, same difference. They play for 80+ hours, and/or also use skills that were never designed for endless grinding 10,000 times -- you may trigger something the engine isn't ready for.

So, we have two options:

1.) Avoid that issue, if we can, and try to figure out what's causing it. There's probably a way to work around or fix it, but it will likely take time.

2.) Repeatedly do the same things again and again and wind up with a whole folder full of corrupted saves that are not going to help anyone.

Everyone is welcome to choose either option...but either way the problem is still going to be there.

Now, if I were able to psychically know what's in the developers' heads, or use transcendent powers to look into the future for the ultimate resolution, I would happily do so and post the fix here. As it stands, I'm only a mortal. So, instead, I'll use my experience with a similar issue from the past, suggest what may work here, too, and hopefully save people some frustration.

If people are dissatisfied with that, they're welcome to ignore it. Got no idea what's happening for sure. Only what it sounds like.

Last edited:
I've never had to deal with it in my game, either, but I assure you there were quite a few people that wound up with inventory issues because of this inherent limitation of the engine. There were even some members of the community that built a utility to help (PC players at least) recover a functional save if it happened. But there is no "fix" for it -- it's just not how the game was designed. It sounds like it may be a manifestation of the same type of thing here.

And it has nothing to do with blame. :D It has to do with reality. If I buy a Dodge pick-up, then try to outrun a Ferrari...I'm gonna lose. Every single time. If I try to haul a grand piano with a Ferrari...it's not gonna fit. Ever. That's not anyone's "fault". I'm just trying to use the machine for something it wasn't designed to do.

I can be disappointed. I can complain. I can get all upset about it. The Dodge is never going to win races against sports cars, and the Ferrari is never going to work like hauler. That's not the way the machines were built.

Cool -- if you're willing, can you confirm if the same type of thing happens when your craft different items...or does the size of the save file increase that way with everything? Not sure why the limit is there, but there's got to be some reason. What I'm guessing now is that it might be some sort of "bloat", like in Beth games. For example, a script that never terminates properly when you craft the items, running on and on. Then using the crafting skill again creates another instance of the same script, and the references start to dogpile onto your save. Something like that.

But if I buy a Dodge I know it won't outrun a Ferrari. If I buy a Ferrari I know I can't haul a grand piano. If I use crafting in a game that promotes it I cannot be expected to know it will break. If this was a known issue in TW3 then it should either have gotten more attention in Cyberpunk's development or the ability should not have been added in the first place.

The blame cannot be placed with players who had no idea this was an issue. Not that I necessarily blame the devs either; it was probably just an oversight. But it should still be fixed, not just for new players but for those with files already affected as well, and considering it's literally gamebreaking it should be given a priority.

Also, this was said to be a game that would last you well over a hundred hours if you wanted to do everything with one character. I don't think any of us are playing it "wrong".

All that said, I hope you don't take any of this the wrong way. Everyone here is frustrated, including me (I put 85 hours into it and can't continue) but I appreciate you giving your take on this issue, even though I don't agree with it.

Last edited:

E.g. if the game was designed to be completed in 30-50 hours, and players don't complete the game, same difference. They play for 80+ hours, and/or also use skills that were never designed for endless grinding 10,000 times -- you may trigger something the engine isn't ready for.

So, we have two options:

1.) Avoid that issue, if we can, and try to figure out what's causing it. There's probably a way to work around or fix it, but it will likely take time.

2.) Repeatedly do the same things again and again and wind up with a whole folder full of corrupted saves that are not going to help anyone.

Everyone is welcome to choose either option...but either way the problem is still going to be there.

Now, if I were able to psychically know what's in the developers' heads, or use transient powers to look into the future for the ultimate resolution, I would happily do so and post the fix here. As it stands, I'm only a mortal. So, instead, I'll use my experience with a similar issue from the past, suggest what may work here, too, and hopefully save people some frustration.

If people are dissatisfied with that, they're welcome to ignore it. Got no idea what's happening for sure. Only what it sounds like.

I am sorry, but I don´t get your point of view. You are somehow defending the fact that the save file is capped at 8mb. I don´t really now what you job as a moderator here is, but i get the impression that this thread is useless and won´t help anyone in any regad.

How can a game like this NOT be desinged to craft huge ammounts and farm like crazy. This is what hardcore players do in huge games, expecially when they are advertised like this...

The automated answer you receive when reporting this issue which is also written on the homepage now is a joke. This is a MAJOR problem which more and more players will have in the near future...

Anyhow, the ammount of people complaining is increasing and in my point of view, you are not helping with this. But as I said, I don´t know your role here and if you have any possibility to get the info at a place where it is needed or can provide more info. But i don´t think this is the case.

Hopefully this will be fixed ASAP, I can´t play since 2 days.

Last edited:

So, we have two options:

Now, if I were able to psychically know what's in the developers' heads, or use transcendent powers to look into the future for the ultimate resolution, I would happily do so and post the fix here. As it stands, I'm only a mortal. So, instead, I'll use my experience with a similar issue from the past, suggest what may work here, too, and hopefully save people some frustration.

That is completely unacceptable.
Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should a gamer be expected to NOT craft (if they build a crafting character) or NOT play the game for XX hours on the same character.

There is NO WAY that is justified or reasonable in ANY form. And even if it were (it's not), such a thing would have to be BLATANTLY posted and made 100% clear before someone picks up a game.

If your entire point is, "well until we know more, don't craft a lot to hopefully prevent this from happening." So be it, but this is not something that can be defended. The way you are posting, you come off as someone trying to defend the un-defendable...

The real question becomes:

How hard is it to increase or simply remove the 8mb cap from the game's launcher/loader?

Find a couple of lines of code and change it so that the cap is 50mb, 100, or uncapped? I am no coder, but there are posts about changing a single number in a line of HEX to make the game run better on AMD CPUs. I cant see changing the 8mb cap as being insurmountable.

The game is 60+ gigs and we are limited to playing with less than 8mb... the answer cannot be to simply not craft. In any game where there is crafting, gamers grind out crafted goods for resale. CDPR didn't see gamers grinding out goods when there were perks that made it easier to disassemble crap weapons and create better ones for resale or for leveling? The same way that you basically need to punch walls for 8 hours to level athletics to 8 or 9. If grinding out levels in something creates a "damaged" file, that seems like something that should've been tested or warned about before release.

So, we have two options:

I had to log in just because of this post. I'm sorry but this response is absolutely baffling. A moderator on this forum trying to blame the players for playing an open ended game wrong. "Hurry up you are not supposed to play this over certain number of hours!" "Stop grinding crafting". It's not like grinding crafting is some sort of glitch people are abusing. This is a severe issue that needs to be fixed. "Stop playing the game wrong" coming from someone who represents this site as a moderator is absolutely unacceptable.

Ok, I'm just theorycrafting here, but the whole thing might be connected to the last perk in crafting tree, which increases cost of crafted items. Since the game allows to spend multiple points into it, in theory, the cost of the same item could be different every time and that might be the reason the game is tracking what you have crafted cuz it needs to know the selling multiplier of that exact item. Of course after you get rid of that crafted item the game should delete any info of that item from your save, but it looks like that is not happening for some reason. So, if the theory is right, it is fine to just dismantle stuff or upgrade items you have, but crafting any new item actually bloats your save every time.

How hard is it to increase or simply remove the 8mb cap from the game's launcher/loader?

Find a couple of lines of code and change it so that the cap is 50mb, 100, or uncapped? I am no coder, but there are posts about changing a single number in a line of HEX to make the game run better on AMD CPUs. I cant see changing the 8mb cap as being insurmountable.

The game is 60+ gigs and we are limited to playing with less than 8mb... the answer cannot be to simply not craft. In any game where there is crafting, gamers grind out crafted goods for resale. CDPR didn't see gamers grinding out goods when there were perks that made it easier to disassemble crap weapons and create better ones for resale or for leveling? The same way that you basically need to punch walls for 8 hours to level athletics to 8 or 9. If grinding out levels in something creates a "damaged" file, that seems like something that should've been tested or warned about before release.

I am a developer and am a bit worried that people think about it so lightly. Don't get me wrong; There *could* be a hardcoded cap. If that hardcoded cap exists, it rarely exists because it's fun to have one. If there is a hardcoded cap, then it's most likely there to prevent stuff from happening or to prevent stuff from not happening.

There seems to be something a bit weird about the savegames in Cyberpunk. I'm not sure what it is, but when you've got a couple of saves that are about 6~ mb's big, opening the "save game" and "load game" options in the menu takes a while. So apparently the game is doing something with those saves. It could simply be a cloud connection, but it could also be that it is doing something funky with the files.

Then the points UrielSicarius wrote down: They almost make me think that, for whatever reason, the crafting resources are being saved as separate items instead of a currency. Even when I'm making a stretch I can't really think of a reason to do that, so I'm not sure that is actually the case. It would explain why crafting 25 items with 50.000 resources lowers the save file size and it would also somewhat explain that it increases the save file size when creating 3000 items with 50.000 resources. If they store every item seperately (including resources), then it's most likely also keeping attributes and the likes per item. Which could mean that flavortext, names, actions are being saved by items which would probably mean that 3.000 real items take more data then 50.000 resources.

I don't know exactly what these save files contain. I don't know why they contain certain stuff. But I do know that even if there is a hardcoded cap, that it most likely is there to prevent shit from not happening (Now it's also preventing from shit not happening :p )

Maybe they're lucky and increasing the cap is exactly the thing they can safely do. Amazing. But most of the time it's not that simple.

I think they've got a lot of annoying things to look at right now, and I'm quite sure that this safe file problem is rather annoying too. Somewhere decisions have been made and if those decisions mean trouble now... well. That sucks and is going to take time to fix.

Dear Moderator,
People are rightfully pissed and most of us just want to go back to playing this bug-ridden game that we love.
You're handling this wrong.

EDIT:
Ok, I'm just theorycrafting here, but the whole thing might be connected to the last perk in crafting tree, which increases cost of crafted items. Since the game allows to spend multiple points into it, in theory, the cost of the same item could be different every time and that might be the reason the game is tracking what you have crafted cuz it needs to know the selling multiplier of that exact item. Of course after you get rid of that crafted item the game should delete any info of that item from your save, but it looks like that is not happening for some reason. So, if the theory is right, it is fine to just dismantle stuff or upgrade items you have, but crafting any new item actually bloats your save every time.

80 hours in, same problem. Lots of crafting and disassembling but I haven't leveled up the last skill on the tree. So I'm guessing your theory might be wrong.

I had to log in just because of this post. I'm sorry but this response is absolutely baffling. A moderator on this forum trying to blame the players for playing an open ended game wrong. "Hurry up you are not supposed to play this over certain number of hours!" "Stop grinding crafting". It's not like grinding crafting is some sort of glitch people are abusing. This is a severe issue that needs to be fixed. "Stop playing the game wrong" coming from someone who represents this site as a moderator is absolutely unacceptable.
I mean what else can someone do for you this moment? He's a mod, he's not going to be working on a fix or anything like that. The best thing probably is to avoid things that will corrupt your save and lose your progress. Like it's a totally reasonable thing to say.

It's a bit like that old story of telling the doctor it hurts when you move your arm so he says to stop moving your arm. Except you told the receptionist, and when he suggests you stop moving your arm you jump up and down swinging it wildly saying "how dare you?". We're all waiting for the doctor to see us, in the mean time stop moving your arm.

People, he's a forum mod. He's not tech support. He can no more fix or diagnose the issue any more than the receptionist at your doctor's office can perform open heart surgery. For all we know, he's having the same issue as the rest of us. This issue sucks but taking it out on him is not helping.

I have a theory that the problem is not in crafting at all, but in the fact that the game records any actions in sav.dat ... crafting\movements\shots\generally everything, such as keeping a log ...
Is there anyone here, generally almost not use craft in game, but who picked up a lot of items and played many hours?
(with sav.dat> 8mb of course)
If so, then we are in the ass.

There seems to be something a bit weird about the savegames in Cyberpunk. I'm not sure what it is, but when you've got a couple of saves that are about 6~ mb's big, opening the "save game" and "load game" options in the menu takes a while. So apparently the game is doing something with those saves. It could simply be a cloud connection, but it could also be that it is doing something funky with the files.

Then the points UrielSicarius wrote down: They almost make me think that, for whatever reason, the crafting resources are being saved as separate items instead of a currency. Even when I'm making a stretch I can't really think of a reason to do that, so I'm not sure that is actually the case. It would explain why crafting 25 items with 50.000 resources lowers the save file size and it would also somewhat explain that it increases the save file size when creating 3000 items with 50.000 resources. If they store every item seperately (including resources), then it's most likely also keeping attributes and the likes per item. Which could mean that flavortext, names, actions are being saved by items which would probably mean that 3.000 real items take more data then 50.000 resources.

I don't know exactly what these save files contain. I don't know why they contain certain stuff. But I do know that even if there is a hardcoded cap, that it most likely is there to prevent shit from not happening (Now it's also preventing from shit not happening :p )

Maybe they're lucky and increasing the cap is exactly the thing they can safely do. Amazing. But most of the time it's not that simple.

I think they've got a lot of annoying things to look at right now, and I'm quite sure that this safe file problem is rather annoying too. Somewhere decisions have been made and if those decisions mean trouble now... well. That sucks and is going to take time to fix.

I initially thought of cloud save issues to, but that wouldn't seem to line up with the 8 MB limit. And the problem manifesting at that limit seems too coincidental and reproduceable already to be uninvolved.

Let me post this link again, from the TW3 days. Does anything there seem to line up with what you're seeing here? It still feels very similar to me.

I am a developer and am a bit worried that people think about it so lightly. Don't get me wrong; There *could* be a hardcoded cap. If that hardcoded cap exists, it rarely exists because it's fun to have one. If there is a hardcoded cap, then it's most likely there to prevent stuff from happening or to prevent stuff from not happening.

There are several things about the game right now that are definitely inconvenient or odd, but obviously done purposefully. (This savegame size cap and keyboard keys being hard-bound are the two that stand out to me.) Again, the only thing I can infer is that the limitations are somehow there to prevent errors from occurring. Not really that far of a stretch to think they might be causing still other errors.

Of course, I think they knew that players would do it. I think TW3 made that clear. But on the same token, that doesn't mean that the engine could be made to allow for it to happen. Since this seems to happening so quickly, though, I think it's more down to a script or inventory glitch.

It's all theory right now. :p That's the fun of troubleshooting! But yes, I agree that what's happening does seem to be in line with the "bloat" idea. I was speculating earlier about it maybe being a script associated with crafting that would never correctly terminate, so that every save would add another instance of it that would also never terminate.

Whatever the case, be sure to send the issue into CDPR Support if you have it. A before / after save file would probably help, just to be sure they can try to recreate the issue.

Please, read the appropriate FAQ section to the end, ensuring all suggestions have been followed. If the problems persist, you can use the "Contact Us" link to send in a ticket.

Be sure to include your system (including specs if on PC), a brief description of the issue, and the steps taken to reproduce it (if applicable).

I initially thought of cloud save issues to, but that wouldn't seem to line up with the 8 MB limit. And the problem manifesting at that limit seems too coincidental and reproduceable already to be uninvolved.

Let me post this link again, from the TW3 days. Does anything there seem to line up with what you're seeing here? It still feels very similar to me.

There are several things about the game right now that are definitely inconvenient or odd, but obviously done purposefully. (This savegame size cap and keyboard keys being hard-bound are the two that stand out to me.) Again, the only thing I can infer is that the limitations are somehow there to prevent errors from occurring. Not really that far of a stretch to think they might be causing still other errors.

Of course, I think they knew that players would do it. I think TW3 made that clear. But on the same token, that doesn't mean that the engine could be made to allow for it to happen. Since this seems to happening so quickly, though, I think it's more down to a script or inventory glitch.

It's all theory right now. :p That's the fun of troubleshooting! But yes, I agree that what's happening does seem to be in line with the "bloat" idea. I was speculating earlier about it maybe being a script associated with crafting that would never correctly terminate, so that every save would add another instance of it that would also never terminate.

Whatever the case, be sure to send the issue into CDPR Support if you have it. A before / after save file would probably help, just to be sure they can try to recreate the issue.

Please, read the appropriate FAQ section to the end, ensuring all suggestions have been followed. If the problems persist, you can use the "Contact Us" link to send in a ticket.

Be sure to include your system (including specs if on PC), a brief description of the issue, and the steps taken to reproduce it (if applicable).

In my opinion you found the exact reason, SigilFey. Again; I can't see the code and I don't know the decision making, but if I look at the post about The Witcher 3, then an extra bell starts to ring.

In The Witcher 3, the items you use to craft are actual items. They aren't portrayed as currency. In Cyberpunk the craft resources are portrayed as a currency / a simple amount and not actual items (apart from the moment they are in a lootable object ofcourse :p). I can definitely imagine that they've used that base to create the crafting system for Cyberpunk. That would imply that the resources are items and not a simple number.

So if you take the The Witcher 3 post and the tests that UrielSicarius performed, I feel very certain that the savegame file gets bigger the more resources you have and that we now also have an explanation as to why. In The Witcher 3 they were actual items. So I'm fairly certain it won't be an easy fix to simply change craft resources into a currency, because it's probably nested through-out the code base.

The numbers that UrielSicarius named during his tests shouldn't hit the int16, but I can imagine that if someone manages to get 65,536 craft resources of a single type (or close to), that the game isn't going to like that either, unless they upped it from int16.

Then the question about the 8MB limit size does get bigger. Why is it there. I can't imagine it was there to prevent a possible cloud connection build up where the servers wouldn't synchronize, since that happened during launch anyway and didn't seem to impact anything. So the 8MB limit most likely is there for some other reason, or, again; if they're lucky, it's there for no reason and it can be upped.

So to put it simple:

- For gamers:
Don't hold too many items (EDIT: This includes your stash! Luckily we can't store craft resource in there, but still)
Be sure to keep your craft resources below 60k
If your resources are stacking up; Upgrade an item to use some of those resources up.
(be sure to not pick up the same item 65000 times ? :p)

- For this issue:
Why is there an 8MB limit
Is the resource limit really based on The Witcher 3 and does it use int16
Why does it take so long to open the save and load menu's when there are a couple of big saves in the game

EDIT:
There is something major in the The Witcher 3 post though. I initially read over the important details. There seems to be the situation that adding an item to your inventory consumes a unique ID. Now, we can't know for sure if these unique ID's are there per object class or per type or as a global identifier.

From the post in The Witcher 3 I pressume it's either class or type. Which could mean that if you pick up a certain pistol 65k times, the game runs out of unique ID's and can't function with that savegame anymore. This could also mean that if you pick up pistols in general 65k times, or if you pick up weapons 65k times, that the game runs out of unique identifiers. Now, this one is a bit iffy, because the post in the The Witcher 3 forum is adding 1 very specific item to the inventory 70.000 times. So, it's hard to say how the identifiers work and if they've extended the available identifiers or not.

Last edited:
Dear Moderator,
People are rightfully pissed and most of us just want to go back to playing this bug-ridden game that we love.
You're handling this wrong.

EDIT:

80 hours in, same problem. Lots of crafting and disassembling but I haven't leveled up the last skill on the tree. So I'm guessing your theory might be wrong.
I'm not saying that you need that to take that perk to save bloat. I'm saying that the system records crafting history because that perk exists. Doesn't matter if you've taken it or not the history is being recorded anyway. That perk is like the only reason to do that really imo.

Top Bottom