Save files are corrupted

+
you can. you just need to reduce amount of items in inventory (stash included), then skip time so items are purged from the game. that will reduce amount of IDs in your save. (you can sell them, or dismantle and spend them on upgrades)
yo dude pls don't type anything to this thread you obviously have no idea how this file corruption works you are missinforming players. Getting rid of your invetory doesn't work I tried I literally went in game and sold more items than I crafted and still my file size didn't change at all. DON'T MISSINFORM ACTUAL GAMERS WITH YOUR UNEDUCATED GUESSES.

Alright. I am back and am quite close to a save file of 8MB.

Some nice stats:

Started at: 6.254 KB
Current size: 7.992 KB
Crafted 6769 grenades
Am currently 2344/364 overweight. My poor character
My screen stayed black for ~20 seconds loading this save. My game is installed on an NVME, but my save files go to an SSD on SATA with about 300MB read per second.

- I'm backing up my save files
- check what happens when I get rid of those 6769 grenades. That's to see if my file bloats or if it's neatly getting rid of data.
- check what happens if I go beyond 8MB without changing any settings
- If I corrupt; check if I can actually restore my saves from my back-up
- check what happens when I change the ini settings
- check if I can go beyond the 8MB by changing the settings in the ini
I apologize if this isn't contributing enough to the thread, to say this, but I'm really appreciative of the fact that you're trying to figure out what the deal is. I tried selling off a bunch of crafting materials I had, laying around in my inventory, to see if that was the issue, but it only temporarily reduced my save size.

I'm really concerned about this bug and especially CDPR's communication in regards to that. First, they indirectly shifted the narrative to make it seem like players who abused the crafting system were affected by it. At least that's the way many news sites picked it up.

But they also just state that they are thinking about increasing the maximum size. I mean sure, this could mean that they thing there might be some bug they can fix which will stop the files from becoming bloated in the first place, but as to my knowledge, CDPR has not even acknowledged the bug.

Currently, I'm probably far off from it because my saves have only 1.45MiB, but I'm too worried to keep on playing. CDPR stated that consoles are currently their priority and I do understand that. Then again, most of their sales come from PC (over 50% as they have stated) and I also think that their die-hard fans are more likely to run into this issue than other players. (I am just assuming that die-hard fans are more likely to want to experience 100% than the other players.) This could potentially hurt them in the long run.

Also, even if a fix will be published I'm not sure if this will solve the issue for everyone. Let's assume that CDPR does not increase the save size but rather finds the cause of the bloat and removes it. Will this guarantee that players who already have a save file that is large (e.g. 8000KiB) won't run into this issue anymore because the next generated save will be smaller again? Or will these players have to start a new playthrough?

At this point, we don't know anything and CDPR hasn't stated anything. I do get that they are under a lot of stress and I do certainly not demand a (hot)fix in the couple of days. However, given that we do not know if this issue will be addressed at all, nor any kind of timeframe I'm starting to wonder if getting a refund now and re-purchasing it a later point might be the best solution here. Also, at this point I would like to mention that I have pre-ordered the game very early because I wanted to support the developers. They were making an impressive, story focused game which I wanted to support and to be honest, I would do so again. This isn't meant to contradict my refund statement. Rather, I like to speak through my money because this is something companies do understand.

Last edited:
There's an alarming amount of users here who are only interested in arguing how this isn't an issue. Truly bizarre.

It's also odd that there's been no statement about this, despite the fact that the moderator response here even got a front page thread on Reddit because of how unhelpful it was lol.

I'm really concerned about this bug and especially CDPR's communication in regards to that. First, they indirectly shifted the narrative to make it seem like players who abused the crafting system were affected by it. At least that's the way many news sites picked it up.

But they also just state that they are thinking about increasing the maximum size. I mean sure, this could mean that they thing there might be some bug they can fix which will stop the files from becoming bloated in the first place, but as to my knowledge, CDPR has not even acknowledged the bug.

Currently, I'm probably far off from it because my saves have only 1.45MiB, but I'm too worried to keep on playing. CDPR stated that consoles are currently their priority and I do understand that. Then again, most of their sales come from PC (over 50% as they have stated) and I also think that their die-hard fans are more likely to run into this issue than other players. (I am just assuming that die-hard fans are more likely to want to experience 100% than the other players.) This could potentially hurt them in the long run.

Also, even if a fix will be published I'm not sure if this will solve the issue for everyone. Let's assume that CDPR does not increase the save size but rather finds the cause of the bloat and removes it. Will this guarantee that players who already have a save file that is large (e.g. 8000KiB) won't run into this issue anymore because the next generated save will be smaller again? Or will these players have to start a new playthrough?

At this point, we don't know anything and CDPR hasn't stated anything. I do get that they are under a lot of stress and I do certainly not demand a (hot)fix in the couple of days. However, given that we do not know if this issue will be addressed at all, nor any kind of timeframe I'm starting to wonder if getting a refund now an re-purchasing it a later point might not be the best solution here. Also, at this point I would like to mention that I have pre-ordered the game very early because I wanted to support the developers. They were making an impressive, story focused game which I wanted to support and to be honest, I would do so again. This isn't meant to contradict my refund statement. Rather, I like to speak through my money because this is something companies do understand.

Yup speaking with our wallets is the best solution here. But i think it's too late for me since I already played 65+hrs and I loved the game even with it's faults. I would have not pre-ordered if I knew about this game breaking bug. Sure I could still finish it now without problems since I'm a still a bit far off with the limits but I'll be definitely making compromises and be more cautious with looting everything and trying to make money to buy all cars. So that's why I'm stopping to play for now since just like you said there's no guarantee that players who already have a large save file won't run into this issue anymore when they fix it. I'm stopping now while I still have a bit of an allowance compared to others.

Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself with this but theoretically wouldn't this be a big a problem if a NG+ feature arrive? Will the save file grow smaller again if you start even tho you all have your items? I think this will be an issue with expansions since in TW3 you're just continuing off with your base save. Anyway we're still far off from this problem since they still need to fix many issues but the fact that the game is just a week old and many are experiencing this should be a warning to the devs that they should fix this sooner than later. Here's hoping that they'll fix it in the next patch.

I got a question for some of you people. Those of you who have a save file larger than 5.5mb and who has not disassambled their inventory/storage yet. Can you go and check this place that is showcased in my screenshots?

This specific place used to crash my game 100% of the time. Until I cleaned my inventory and storage recently. It actually fixed the crashing. At least for this place.

I am wondering if everyone is encountering these crashes at the same spots with their save files, or whether those crashing points are unique to each and every player.

Crashing Point (Right side of Heywood).png
Roadway upwards to reach Crashing Point.png
Arrival at Crashing Point.png

Disclaimer:
I created these test results by doing something most if not all users won't actually do. I created a macro that spent 1 hour and 15 minutes of continuous crafting.
The test results show that there is a bloating problem. Even if you don't spend 1 hour and 15 minutes straight crafting shit. If you craft items (and most likely if you gather a lot of items) your save file will bloat
These results can definitely be reached by playing normally. If someone loves crafting or loves certain builds. It is 100% possible to reach the 8MB file limit through normal use.

Disabled cloud sync saving, because that takes too long if I'm going to restart my game 10s of times.

Saving: Always choosing the option to create a new save. Not overwriting existing saves.
My original save is my 29th save.

Disassembling all crafted grenades:
- Starting: 7.992
- Saving: 7.992
- After restart reload save: 7.993

Selling grenades at drop point. Waited 3 days. Can't rebuy them.

Dropping grenades, fast-traveling to other spot and waiting a couple of days:
- Saving: 7.985
- After restart reload save: 7.979

Using the grenades (used 200) (yes I turned the volume down) (yes my finger wasn't happy) (figured I'd test this too, did it on another save though):
- Starting: 8.147
- Saving: 8.147
- After restart reload save: 8.146

Crafted an additional 260 hats. These don't stack. Let's see what happens when I disassemble those:
- Before crafting: 8.069
- Starting 8.147
- Saving 8.113
- After restart reload save: 8.114

So. This looks bad.
Selling/disassembling seems to keep them in the data. Note that these are stacked items. Not sure if this goes for unstacked items.
Dropping the items seems to sliiiiiightly decrease the file size, still very much bloating though :p
Creating non stacking items does bloat too, but for about half. So create 80kb worth get 30kb back. These results are a bit iffy. Not sure why this is bloating. In my test case it is.

So. Now on to trying to break my game. Fun.

- 8.073KB: Loading still works
- 8.143KB: Loading still works
- 8.192KB: Loading takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaages. I think I might have broken my game. I am not sure. It's still just a black screen. Oh dear.
Waited 5 minutes. Black screen still there. Alt+F4 made it seem like Cyberpunk closed, but my task manager told me otherwise. Had to force end it.

Restarting to try again.
Yep. 8.192 is the end. It's broken. It's done for.

So. Before I restore my back-up. My cloud sync is disabled, so I'm simply deleting the save file that is 8.192KB big and restarting my game.

Yep. I'm back. Deleting the 8.192 save was enough to get back into the game. That save was completely done for though.

Now. Let's try some ini changes.

[game-location]\engine\config\platform\pc\user.ini :
Code:
[GameServices]
MaxProfileSize = 4194304
MaxSaveSize = 12582912
MaxSaveSizeTotal = 16777216
MaxSettingsSize = 4194304

Starting from my save that uses 8.114KB.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to change a thing. Save file isn't getting bigger than 8.192KB. Can't load this one either.

This does proof the point that it simply stops saving at 8.192KB. So anyone reaching that number has a corrupted save. Even if the max size would be increased, that specific save is corrupted and can't be used.

So if the modding community of TW3 or some smart asses that know configurations have any other tips: shoot. Right now we don't seem to have a solution and I can't find a solution to debloat the save either. This is not looking good.

I have not gotten this issue so far, and I'm enjoying the game a lot, however, CD Projekt Red, can you please increase the max save file size to, say, 1GB, to allow for next to unlimited playing?

I have not gotten this issue so far, and I'm enjoying the game a lot, however, CD Projekt Red, can you please increase the max save file size to, say, 1GB, to allow for next to unlimited playing?
Please don't increase it to 1GB. When the save is close to 8MB it shows a black screen for about 30 seconds. I can't imagine what is going to happen if the save reaches anywhere near 1GB.
Post automatically merged:

Disclaimer:
I created these test results by doing something most if not all users won't actually do. I created a macro that spent 1 hour and 15 minutes of continuous crafting.
The test results show that there is a bloating problem. Even if you don't spend 1 hour and 15 minutes straight crafting shit. If you craft items (and most likely if you gather a lot of items) your save file will bloat
These results can definitely be reached by playing normally. If someone loves crafting or loves certain builds. It is 100% possible to reach the 8MB file limit through normal use.

Disabled cloud sync saving, because that takes too long if I'm going to restart my game 10s of times.

Saving: Always choosing the option to create a new save. Not overwriting existing saves.
My original save is my 29th save.

Disassembling all crafted grenades:

Selling grenades at drop point. Waited 3 days. Can't rebuy them.

Dropping grenades, fast-traveling to other spot and waiting a couple of days:
- Saving: 7.985
- After restart reload save: 7.979

Using the grenades (used 200) (yes I turned the volume down) (yes my finger wasn't happy) (figured I'd test this too, did it on another save though):
- Starting: 8.147
- Saving: 8.147
- After restart reload save: 8.146

Crafted an additional 260 hats. These don't stack. Let's see what happens when I disassemble those:
- Before crafting: 8.069
- Starting 8.147
- Saving 8.113
- After restart reload save: 8.114

So. This looks bad.
Selling/disassembling seems to keep them in the data. Note that these are stacked items. Not sure if this goes for unstacked items.
Dropping the items seems to sliiiiiightly decrease the file size, still very much bloating though :p
Creating non stacking items does bloat too, but for about half. So create 80kb worth get 30kb back. These results are a bit iffy. Not sure why this is bloating. In my test case it is.

So. Now on to trying to break my game. Fun.

- 8.073KB: Loading still works
- 8.143KB: Loading still works
- 8.192KB: Loading takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaages. I think I might have broken my game. I am not sure. It's still just a black screen. Oh dear.
Waited 5 minutes. Black screen still there. Alt+F4 made it seem like Cyberpunk closed, but my task manager told me otherwise. Had to force end it.

Restarting to try again.
Yep. 8.192 is the end. It's broken. It's done for.

So. Before I restore my back-up. My cloud sync is disabled, so I'm simply deleting the save file that is 8.192KB big and restarting my game.

Yep. I'm back. Deleting the 8.192 save was enough to get back into the game. That save was completely done for though.

Now. Let's try some ini changes.

[game-location]\engine\config\platform\pc\user.ini :
Code:
[GameServices]
MaxProfileSize = 4194304
MaxSaveSize = 12582912
MaxSaveSizeTotal = 16777216
MaxSettingsSize = 4194304

Starting from my save that uses 8.114KB.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to change a thing. Save file isn't getting bigger than 8.192KB. Can't load this one either.

This does proof the point that it simply stops saving at 8.192KB. So anyone reaching that number has a corrupted save. Even if the max size would be increased, that specific save is corrupted and can't be used.

So if the modding community of TW3 or some smart asses that know configurations have any other tips: shoot. Right now we don't seem to have a solution and I can't find a solution to debloat the save either. This is not looking good.

Oh btw. This took me an hour to test. Completely free of charge. You're welcome CDPR :p

It's kind of subjective what's considered "legit", exploitative etc... If there's a way to craft an item and then dismantle it and get MORE stuff out that you put in, that's a huge oversight in the crafting system by the devs imo. I have hard time believing using crafting in such a way was ever intended. So in MY OPINION it's not "legit" game play and it's exploiting the system.

So I would fix that crafting issue first and then see if it's even possible to craft/loot thousands of items to bloat your save file during a play through. If the problem still persists after like, lets say 500-1000 hours, on a single save file, then it might need fixing.

I've read numerous reports of this happening on multiple platforms, not just a specific one. Has anyone had this issue on PS5?

I love the story and the atmosphere of this game so much, but I'm holding off a bit from now on until more bugs/issues are addressed and more patches released. I'm in no rush and I don't mind waiting a few months or even waiting longer. Just looking forward to experiencing this game with a lot less issues.

Thoughts on your experiences if your on any platform, had this particular problem, and how large the save file size is?

Edit: Oops, sorry I didn't realize there was a post about this issue. Thanks I'll keep reading!

Last edited:
I thought this was interesting:
I took a look at my TW3 save game file and it is 3,796 KB
That is the result of me stashing:
80 Legendary swords, 32 trophies, miscellaneous goods such as bear skin,
runes, dyes, and some pieces of legendary armors.
My inventory is full of every book I collected, hundreds of alchemy ingredients,
every craftable potion, oil, and bomb, and a long list of food items
That's after completing the games missions and every
side quest I could lay my eyes on.

Now taking a look at my CP2077 file 45 hrs in, it is 3,813 KB
I only have 4 iconic weapons in my stash
Not much armor nor weapons in my inventory because I like to sell or disassemble immediately
Crafting components and other miscellaneous items don't compare to what I have Gerbil hauling
every time he walks.

Last edited:
It's kind of subjective what's considered "legit", exploitative etc... If there's a way to craft an item and then dismantle it and get MORE stuff out that you put in, that's a huge oversight in the crafting system by the devs imo. I have hard time believing using crafting in such a way was ever intended. So in MY OPINION it's not "legit" game play and it's exploiting the system.

So I would fix that crafting issue first and then see if it's even possible to craft/loot thousands of items to bloat your save file during a play through. If the problem still persists after like, lets say 500-1000 hours, on a single save file, then it might need fixing.

It's not so much about increasing the crafting resource as it is: When I delete my crafted items in any way possible, the size of the save file doesn't decrease. It stays the same. That is huge problem.

I think the 8MB file size should be way more than enough. Remember: 8MB of compressed text-data can store huuuuuuge amounts of shit. The problem is that data is persistant even if the items aren't there anymore.

My save is 32mb, I've dismantled every piece of junk and gun since lv1, only crafted something like 10 items however..
I've had friends craft for money, it seems a case to case basis and RNG whether or not you get fuckerino.

My save is 32mb, I've dismantled every piece of junk and gun since lv1, only crafted something like 10 items however..
I've had friends craft for money, it seems a case to case basis and RNG whether or not you get fuckerino.

I'd love to see proof of that. No offense, but 8.192 seems too logic a number to not be a hardcoded limit. If you've got a save file that is 4 times that, I'm going to need to see it with my own eyes before I believe it.

It's not so much about increasing the crafting resource as it is: When I delete my crafted items in any way possible, the size of the save file doesn't decrease. It stays the same. That is huge problem.

I think the 8MB file size should be way more than enough. Remember: 8MB of compressed text-data can store huuuuuuge amounts of shit. The problem is that data is persistant even if the items aren't there anymore.

Well this is what I was kind of going for. If they fix the crafting, the 8MB file size may be more than enough when you can't spam craft thousands of items anymore.

Top Bottom