Save files are corrupted

+
increasing the size of the save won't solve the issue from coming back, it's the way data is stored into the save that has an issue, you already have a black screen before every loading since 5.5 mb, that's for me a concern too, if the double the size, what would you do when you'll reach this new limit... there's something going on, maybe it's a perk, like the auto dismantle perk. let's just give them information and let them do their work and fix this when they can...

Crafting & Engineering were literally my highest stats, I had both at level 17.. So, this is gonna be a blast for me.

I think its the autosave that is make this problem not only it corrupt them but also after a long period of time the game crashes due to the large amount of autosave files there must be an option in the game setting so we can turn it off that way no more problems. Also CDPR state that the crafting makes the save files corrupt.

Last edited:
Oh definitely! Hopefully CDPR will have a solution soon (probably after the Holiday at least). It may not fix currently corrupted saves, but I agree a long term solution is needed.

Yeah, I'm getting to where I think game breaking issues should be mentioned in EULA's, might get people to read them.. /sidenote

Let's hope something is figured out, though, indeed.

I'm seeing a lot of people that are getting scared to play the game. I guess it's (EDIT: important word)not(/edit) completely without reason, but I still think it's a hard limit to reach. It took my playthrough (about 120 hours, completed all missions including NCPD ones) an extra 1 hour and 15 minutes of fully exploiting the weakness in the save files of this game to come close to reaching the file limit.

I'm not saying it's impossible. If you craft endless amounts of grenades and items, yes, you're going to reach the limit at some point. But if you're simply playing the game you should be just fine. My initial save was at about 6.229KB. That was my playthrough where I looted everything I came across.

I think most people will do just fine.

If you really are too scared to enjoy the game then maybe you should either keep an eye on your save file or wait for a patch, but I'd recommend just playing the game.

Tried a couple of other things with no real results yet;

- Added the ini changes to the already existing ini 'gameservices.ini'. Seemed logical but no.
- Tried to use a TW3 save editor to see if they somewhat matched, but i'm getting too many errors to feel okay changing the code
- Currently installing TW3 to see if they've got any clues in the files. Probably not, but who knows.

Thank you for all of your testing.

For my part, ran into the issue, continued playing without any crafting from a previous "slow-load" save. After the .ini ideas came up I:
1. Started with a save file of 7,998KB (probably gonna back this up as I most likely won't be able to finish the game at this point, even if I never pick anything up or craft again, until fix is found)
2. Put the following into user.ini as recommended in previous posts
Code:
[GameServices]
MaxProfileSize = 4194304
MaxSaveSize = 16777216
MaxSaveSizeTotal = 20971520
MaxSettingsSize = 4194304
SaveCompressedChunkSize = 524288
SaveMaxCompressedChunks = 512
3. Crafted my heart out while overwriting a new save file to watch the file size go up (manual save 38 for me for those wondering)
4. Once file size hit the magic number of 8192KB, attempted to load. No corruption message (that actually stopped with 1.05 patch) but no load after 10+min (while writing this post).

It was definitely worth a shot with the .ini file but I think we have to start looking elsewhere.

Well i don't own the game on PC so i can't edit anything but we have the same issue "save corruption"
What system is it on? I almost bought this for PS4 myself, but currently it seems to only run up to 30FPS with low level upscaling to 4k on newer versions (Pro/X) and 60FPS on next gen, including Xbone X and series S respectively which have the resolution advantage, seemingly caused by more mem to work with.

Well i don't own the game on PC so i can't edit anything but we have the same issue "save corruption"
I'd like to hear what your savegame size is, what your system is, what the size is of your last loadable save.
Also I'd like to know if you've crafted a lot and if so, what you crafted. If not, how many components did you have?
And if you inventory is big.
Also useful, how much of the game did you do?

Oh definitely! Hopefully CDPR will have a solution soon (probably after the Holiday at least). It may not fix currently corrupted saves, but I agree a long term solution is needed.
Yeah, but they need to acknowledge this bug asap and also mention that they are working on it. As mentioned before, I certainly do not demand a patch before the holidays, nor do I want one. I think the developers are already in a difficult situation and they are trying their best to solve the worst issues. I don't even want to know how many hours they have worked the last couple of weeks. Imho they do deserve their holidays and if I can't play CP2077 for the time being than I'm OK with it.

That being said, I do want a statement soon and of course it should be included in the January patch if no Hotfix is possible.

I think its the autosave that is make this problem not only it corrupt them but also after a long period of time the game crashes due to the large amount of autosave files there must be an option in the game setting so we can turn it off that way no more problems. Also CDPR state that the crafting makes the save files corrupt.
Code:
[SaveConfig]
AutoSaveEnabled = false
This should do the trick.

Was this game even play tested? How was this missed? This had to be known internally and just ignored by leadership. Not acceptable.
It was certainly tested but I doubt anyone at CDPR played the game as a whole while also playing side missions and other things. Each mission was certainly tested and I think they also played the main story, but nothing like we are doing. For something like that, there wasn't any time left. (I also honestly doubt that this is done by any game company.)
I'm seeing a lot of people that are getting scared to play the game. I guess it's (EDIT: important word)not(/edit) completely without reason, but I still think it's a hard limit to reach. It took my playthrough (about 120 hours, completed all missions including NCPD ones) an extra 1 hour and 15 minutes of fully exploiting the weakness in the save files of this game to come close to reaching the file limit.

I'm not saying it's impossible. If you craft endless amounts of grenades and items, yes, you're going to reach the limit at some point. But if you're simply playing the game you should be just fine. My initial save was at about 6.229KB. That was my playthrough where I looted everything I came across.

I think most people will do just fine.

If you really are too scared to enjoy the game then maybe you should either keep an eye on your save file or wait for a patch, but I'd recommend just playing the game.

Thanks for the insight. I'm also really scared to continue playing without the patch because I'm one of those 100% people. I will probably not push crafting/technical to 20, I just wanted to use crafting to upgrade my gear. I don't want to look completely weird; I want my gear to be fitting. On the other hand, my playthroughs are extremely long. W3 took my 350h the last time to complete which is much more than the average player's time. But, as also mentioned before, my last W3 save has 4.5MiB, even though I looted everything because I had disabled the weight limit.

Anyway, let's hope CDPR addresses and fixes this soon!

Oh, a quick notion, if you're still trying to do crafting but don't want to spam crafts (and increase save bloat) to get crafting exp. At the moment (or atleast, last I tested was 1.04) disassembling an item that is part of a stack (like you have 100 grenades, and you disassemble one of them) rewards you crafting exp as if you've disassembled the entire stack.

This is an easy way to level crafting and would keep your craft count low.
That way you can play it more as intended, only crafting what you use.

What system is it on? I almost bought this for PS4 myself, but currently it seems to only run up to 30FPS with low level upscaling to 4k on newer versions (Pro/X) and 60FPS on next gen, including Xbone X and series S respectively which have the resolution advantage, seemingly caused by more mem to work with.
I have it on PS4 pro but the problem is the same corrupted saves and leads to crash

I have it on PS4 pro but the problem is the same corrupted saves and leads to crash
We understand that, we just want to know as much detail as possible, including what the save file limit is for ps4 users so they can keep an eye on it. Since we've heard reports of 12MB save files on the playstation, which is larger than the max pc saves can be.

Then, there's no need for you to follow it. Go ahead, and keep on loading saved games as you will. If the bug is occurring during the loading process, as opposed to the saving process, then you'll eventually corrupt all of your saved games and have absolutely no backups to return to, ensuring all of your progress is lost. That is entirely your choice.

Secondly, this is not official CDPR Tech Support. This is a community board where players can come to check on known issues or try to troubleshoot problems on their own. If that's not working out, then let me repeat, yet again:

Please, read the appropriate FAQ section to the end, ensuring all suggestions have been followed. If the problems persist, you can use the "Contact Us" link to send in a ticket.

Be sure to include your system (including specs if on PC), a brief description of the issue, and the steps taken to reproduce it (if applicable).

Right -- now here's a reality of the way that inventory systems work sometimes. (TW3 has a similar sort of limitation.) Whenever you create an item in the inventory, it creates an ItemID. For every new instance of that item (like if the number of that item changes...or I pick up two of the same type of gun) the game will need to assign a unique ItemID for it in order for the program to be able to tell the two different items apart or record the change to the stack, and that number, for each successive instance, will obviously get bigger.

So, if I am rapidly adding / removing items from my inventory, I may inadvertently increase that ID number to something that the engine no longer recognizes. Or a number that conflicts with some other function of the inventory. Or save system. Or loading system. Whatever. Something doesn't like it. That's where the bug must live.

BUT -- considering that CP2077 probably works similarly to TW3, Bethesda games, Bioware titles, etc. -- this also happens to your inventory whenever you save --> reload a game. First, the game reads your save file. It loads an "active" version of your inventory into RAM, and assigns new ItemIDs to every single piece of your inventory from top to bottom. It re-saves those larger numbers for every new save / quicksave, and they become the new default. This is how a program can correctly load older savegames. It compares the newer numbers with the older ones, and chooses the older, smaller number instead. (Computers can't "think", and items in your inventory are not "guns" and "medkits" to the computer. They're collections of data that it needs to be able to tell apart from one another using a numerical expression.)

Not all games are designed for unlimited, endless play. Not all games are designed for NG++++ etc. CP2077, as of now, seems to have been designed with upper limits in place (likely to avoid issues elsewhere in the engine, just like TW3).

The workaround for now?

Don't do it. Play the game until the end, then start a new game. Don't continue saving and reloading the same character for too long. Don't craft thousands of items at once.

Is that ideal? No. And hopefully it can be worked out in the future. Although...maybe not. No game that CDPR has ever created has ever been designed for ongoing, unlimited play. (NG+ was added into TW3 after its release; it was never intended. It was extremely difficult to get working without major issues, is capped at level 100, still gets wildly weird at higher levels, and there is no NG++. It can only be done once per playthrough.) CDPR designs their games with a finite structure: with a beginning, a middle, and an end. They are not meant to be played on and on like Dark Souls, GTA, or an MMO. They're meant to be restarted from the beginning with a new character and played differently. Love it or loathe it, that's the design.

So, for right now, the best step is not to put the game in this sort of situation. It's the nature of the machine. Or, more classically:

Patient: "Doctor! Doctor! It really hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Then, don't do that."

Now, the treatment can begin.
So this game is a lie: It is not open world, you should not play side missions, do not crafter etc ...
Ok, so I'm going to get a refund for this scam and send this screenshot as proof.

So this game is a lie: It is not open world, you should not play side missions, do not crafter etc ...
Ok, so I'm going to get a refund for this scam and send this screenshot as proof.

That's not an official spokesperson, that is merely a community suggestion. This is the official statement.

Attachments

• image_2020-12-20_123759.png
    image_2020-12-20_123759.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 369
Welp, played for a few hours last night, didn't do any crafting outside of some ammo boxes, ran around doing side jobs drove around all over the map (I never fast travel), looted purple and above items, etc, file size went from ~4.6 to 4.9.

Still in A2, most side jobs outside city center are complete, haven't touched the main story beyond the first 1-2 missions in A2. I'm inclined to believe general progression is the culprit (every time you kill someone = body id, every new area = persistent details saved and reloaded upon return), and people who crafted a ton just got to the limit faster.

0.6 mb to go before black screen issues, and ~3.2 left to complete the game with gives me some concern. At the very least, it's making me play differently... does it even matter if the item gets looted, or does the sheer act of opening the chest marked purple drive Item ID creation and cause file bloat? Should I continue spending mats to upgrade a gun 10 times to get to my level (not an issue with 50million of each mat, despite the asinine cost scaling), or will my memory budget be better served crafting a new one fresh and rebuying/installing necessary mods?

There is this enormous, open world to explore, but only until you've explored 8 mb worth of savegame information.

Last edited:
I did some extra testing. I'm going to conclude this for now. It's been interesting. I've missed my work, so a little puzzling was alright, but I'm expected back at work tomorrow so I'm going to enjoy the last couple of hours of my evening :p

The posts with testing:

Starting off:

Testing bloating and trying to change save file size:

Some other tests:

Added some extra tests with items that have random modifiers:

I think most people shouldn't be too worried:

Did some extra testing based on item type (weapon with random modifier, armor without random modifier, stackable items) per 250 to keep track of actual bloating sizes:

I've looked through TW3 files. Not much to see there. My TW3 saves are way smaller, so I'm not even going to bother to try and replicate stuff there. No configurations. There was something about purging items from memory on an interval, so I figured I test disassembling and selling again but then wait till the game autosaved. Didn't change a thing.

Save files for Witcher games were mostly elusive too. So I didn't really find anything special.

I saw some posts about people not being able to open their stash. They had to open the stash on their vehicles to get it back to work. So a far stretch was that something was getting loaded back in again. Tried some moving around from my inventory to house and vehicle stash. Throwing away half the grenade stack and then moving the other items around a bit. That also didn't really change anything. There's definitely something weird going on when transfering items from and to your stash, but that's a whole other issue I guess.

So; for now:

Straight and fair: Most users won't encounter this situation. The users that do encounter this situation can encounter it while playing the game in a normal way. You don't need to be duplicating items or anything. If you love crafting and on top of that love throwing grenades, you're in a group of people that might encounter this issue. You'll need to, in my personal opinion, use the crafting option eeeeeeeeeextensively. I can definitely imagine people doing that. And it's a feature in this game. So it has got to be dealt with.

Without any further breakthroughs and no code at my finger tips I'm fairly certain I won't find exact reasoning and won't find a work-around either.

Cheers

Last edited:
1.05 Fixed the Damaged Save File Message and Replaced it with a black Screen of endless loading...

So great job! You removed the message and then made an even worse problem! So don't load a save of 8,192 kb or it will just stick you at a black screen forcing you to manually close out of the game and reload it.

Here is a long video of me documenting the problem and ranting. I didn't edit it down so I doubt you will make it through the whole thing so I linked a time stamp to summarize the video:

Feel free to watch through if you want to see the problem where I go more in depth.

I originally posted the save data bug back on the 15th and sent tech support a ticket, but since I didn't get the upvotes and shiny awards the dude got that posted it yesterday there wasn't a news article about it earlier thats up on IGN.

My Reddit Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kear0n
IGN Article: https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-save-files-over-8mb-may-become-permanently-corrupt

Top Bottom