Save files are corrupted

+
I never had any trouble with The Witcher 3 on the ps4 no crashes no corrupted saves.

I had a few with 2, faintly remembered, but with 3 not game breaking, just some perma glitchy things that happened before patches occurred that will/would go away if/when I start a fresh game. I recall having absolute tons of stuff in W3, though, and tons of saves on PC..

And it has nothing to do with blame. :D It has to do with reality. If I buy a Dodge pick-up, then try to outrun a Ferrari...I'm gonna lose. Every single time. If I try to haul a grand piano with a Ferrari...it's not gonna fit. Ever. That's not anyone's "fault". I'm just trying to use the machine for something it wasn't designed to do.
Is this a joke? We're just now finding out we were sold a £5.99 Dodge for £50 Ferrari prices. This 50 year old gamer is quite annoyed at this point. And I loaded sh1t from tapes.

Is this a joke? We're just now finding out we were sold a £5.99 Dodge for £50 Ferrari prices. This 50 year old gamer is quite annoyed at this point. And I loaded sh1t from tapes.
I feel ya... then again, who would have funked I could still be left baffled by any piece of software, after 30 years of gaming and 25 years in the IT industry... Cyberpunk 2077, It's an experience, alright! :D

0.6 mb to go before black screen issues, and ~3.2 left to complete the game with gives me some concern. At the very least, it's making me play differently... does it even matter if the item gets looted, or does the sheer act of opening the chest marked purple drive Item ID creation and cause file bloat? Should I continue spending mats to upgrade a gun 10 times to get to my level (not an issue with 50million of each mat, despite the asinine cost scaling), or will my memory budget be better served crafting a new one fresh and rebuying/installing necessary mods?

There is this enormous, open world to explore, but only until you've explored 8 mb worth of savegame information.

It makes me play differently as well, as I'm scared to advance to much, I'm monitoring my save a lot, not doing so much dismantle, create, skill, everything, I just monitor the saves compulsively after few hours playing, worried about this. When I didn't even know it I enjoyed everything without distractions. Don't know exactly if I should left the game until a patch or continue playing overthinking on this shit. First big trouble for me, nothing important, before knowing about this issue, just stupid visual bugs happened to me, so that's a mess, I was enjoying the game a lot.

I am at 6mb right now and I'm scared to actually loot/craft more things... :eek:

Never thought I'd be afraid of looting...

Has anyone played for any significant period of time without crafting or even picking up an object to compare save game size?

I think something beyond crafting is causing save game bloat. It might not even be related to the inventory at all.

Crafting/inventory issues obviously makes the bloat worse but I don't think it's the only cause.

Will this harm SSD's?
No more than saving any file will.
In simple words, this corruption is only file based, not storage medium based. It's like typing wingdings into a file instead of text. nobody will understand what it means and the game will just refuse to load it. It's not some "sector" on your "drive" (ssd's don't really have sectors or drives in the way an old Hard Drive has) that got damaged.

THIS NEEDS TO BE HOT FIXED ASAP. I don't care about some visual glitches but broken save files a deal breaker. Now i'm reluctant to even play knowing i might hit size limit and corrupt my save file. My character a crafter and it's bs suddenly telling me to limit my crafting after i built much of my character around it.

Just created an account in order to say that I've refunded the game, and its because of the disgusting answers of the moderators and devs regarding this problem.
How dare you change the narrative from "bug that corrupts save files" to "users that abuse the crafting system".

WHY in H*** is a user even allowed to do something in the first place that makes the game unplayable????
You could literally take this argument to its logical extension and apply it to the entire game and its bugs and just blame the users.

No more than saving any file will.
In simple words, this corruption is only file based, not storage medium based. It's like typing wingdings into a file instead of text. nobody will understand what it means and the game will just refuse to load it. It's not some "sector" on your "drive" (ssd's don't really have sectors or drives in the way an old Hard Drive has) that got damaged.
Awesome. Thanks for the explanation.

same issues here, at a point that completion missions is increasing my save file and i am sitting at the edge of the limit. just wanted to complete the JS mission to complete different endings :(

can confirm that the guy that was writing about file write buffer size was correct. This pic shows the end of a save file that is on the very end of what can be stored in 8192KB. This pic shows a file that is just too large. It just gets cut off instead of continuing to EOF marker (ENOD). I tried tacking on the bytes from a valid save to see if i could load a larger file, but alas i get the same infinite black screen as always with invalid files. I suspect the input buffer is the same size as the write buffer, so larger files aren't possible. I also tried deleting some seemingly repetitive data from elsewhere in the save to bring it back to 8192K exact but still no bueno.

Has anyone played for any significant period of time without crafting or even picking up an object to compare save game size?

I think something beyond crafting is causing save game bloat. It might not even be related to the inventory at all.

Crafting/inventory issues obviously makes the bloat worse but I don't think it's the only cause.
Everything bloats save file. Whatever you do as long as you progress save file size will go up but if you don't focus on crafting and play only main and side missions you can end the game. On my first walkthrough I never encountered this issue because I wasn't crafting I always used what I found on the ground, ended the game and unlocked every ending expect one.

Then I started a new charachter with primary tech secondry cold blood. And changed some setting in game files to instantly craft to. That way I could use my macro to craft for me neat right. The game file didn't load as fast as it used to and you can really tell it. after I finished panam's storyline the save got corrupted.

So if you ask me crafting is really fun if it wasn't for the file corruption I could probably make my dream loadout and maximize my dmg perfect my mods have more than enough maxdoc also be able try every gun in the game. which btw I really encourage you guys to get a legendry problem solver which by the way you get by crafting as far as I know every named gun in the game can be upragraded into legendry and gets really cool abilities for problem solver you get 85 round mag 1000rpm smg with lots of kick.

I have over 120 hours in this game and I usually experiment with what I find. I share my finding on my stream and we can discuss about the game you can easily find me.

Currently my save are broken after reaching 5 MB size.
I've got broken save few times: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...apisy-gry-nie-da-sie-zaladowac-save.11059256/

All AutoSaves are broken.

ManualSave-69 are ok.
70, 71 - are broken and can't be loaded. (55 is also corrupted).

Snap009355.png

Last edited:
The biggest spikes in my saved game's file size occurred only while I was riding a car and not doing any major looting or crafting. My first car ride with Dex increased my file size by 75K, from just that car ride. The quest "Burning Desire," where I drove a sick man to a ripperdoc, increased my file size by 65K, again from just giving him a ride. My first quest with Jackie "The Rescue," where there was minimal looting, increased file size by a whopping 128K. Again, that quest had a long car ride with Jackie. I looked through my saved games and these were the 3 biggest spikes in my 50 hours of gameplay. I'm going to test by driving around and doing nothing else.

can confirm that the guy that was writing about file write buffer size was correct. This pic shows the end of a save file that is on the very end of what can be stored in 8192KB. This pic shows a file that is just too large. It just gets cut off instead of continuing to EOF marker (ENOD). I tried tacking on the bytes from a valid save to see if i could load a larger file, but alas i get the same infinite black screen as always with invalid files. I suspect the input buffer is the same size as the write buffer, so larger files aren't possible. I also tried deleting some seemingly repetitive data from elsewhere in the save to bring it back to 8192K exact but still no bueno.
Nice, so we got some confirmation of the working theory. As suggested, simply increasing the buffer size for both loading and writing saves would most likely render the new saves readable, but not the already corrupted ones. Not to mention the problem of increased loading times for files after 5MB or so.

Seriously, I don't craft for profit and haven't even started my crafting to level the skill the 20 eventually for extra perk points but just like the Witcher 3, where I visit all of the ? on the map, I intend to do EVERYTHING on the map. Anyone that hits 8.2 mb save files gets a corrupt save and is unable to continue.

This needs to be a TOP PRIORITY fix because it is going to affect every single platform and it's only going to get worse when the small DLC and expansions come out in terms of file size.

Also, if you are a moderator and going to reply to my post as well that I should just do less quests, not craft, and play through multiple times doing different map markers instead of all, then don't bother.

The only solution is fixing the save corruption due to file size. THIS MUST BE FIXED FOR THIS GAME TO SUCCEED regardless of stability in gameplay.

Top Bottom