Save files are corrupted

+
There's absolutely no excuse for this. I haven't run into this (yet), but it seriously makes me not want to play and consider getting that refund.

Whatever's limiting the save to 8mb make it 16 or 100mb instead.

Probably a lot of garbage that needs/could use clean up from the save files. The "just don't do this" type solutions aren't solutions. This needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Game are dead after 1-2 seconds when you will select broken save.
Those I've told (55, 70, 71 + all auto-saves) are corrupted.

I have game placed on SSD (NVMe). I don't see any time difference between other saves.

Checked. Save number 69 - game is loaded and started n 10 seconds.

are they corrupted or the loading times are insanely long? this is a huge difference, so if you could specify, that'll help. Or provide a sample
After 5.5MBs load times get significantly longer. After 8.192 your save gets corrupted can't be used again have to get back to an older one.

the issue is definitely not related to cloud saving, at least for me, i dont have that turned on in steam. I think it's an issue related to save file size i'm almost certain. 97 hours in, can't do many more tasks or else the save file gets corrupted.

I think they mean related to cloud saving meaning the reason the saves are limited to 8mb in the first place is so it doesn't take forever to sync and so that they don't have to store a ton of 1+ gb sized save files (I've seen other game have saves get crazy big like that).

I got stuck on this mission for a while "Nocturne OP55N1". when I die, I keep coming back to the apartment and start everything again. it is so annoying. I tried saving the game, but it's not letting me. I want the feature where I can save whenever I want, so I can start from there next time. CD developers do something.

I've never had to deal with it in my game, either, but I assure you there were quite a few people that wound up with inventory issues because of this inherent limitation of the engine. There were even some members of the community that built a utility to help (PC players at least) recover a functional save if it happened. But there is no "fix" for it -- it's just not how the game was designed. It sounds like it may be a manifestation of the same type of thing here.

And it has nothing to do with blame. :D It has to do with reality. If I buy a Dodge pick-up, then try to outrun a Ferrari...I'm gonna lose. Every single time. If I try to haul a grand piano with a Ferrari...it's not gonna fit. Ever. That's not anyone's "fault". I'm just trying to use the machine for something it wasn't designed to do.

I can be disappointed. I can complain. I can get all upset about it. The Dodge is never going to win races against sports cars, and the Ferrari is never going to work like hauler. That's not the way the machines were built.

Cool -- if you're willing, can you confirm if the same type of thing happens when your craft different items...or does the size of the save file increase that way with everything? Not sure why the limit is there, but there's got to be some reason. What I'm guessing now is that it might be some sort of "bloat", like in Beth games. For example, a script that never terminates properly when you craft the items, running on and on. Then using the crafting skill again creates another instance of the same script, and the references start to dogpile onto your save. Something like that.

As a temporary fix, why not just make the crafting tree take like 1/10 or even less experience to level up so we don't have to craft a billion things to level it to 20 AS INTENDED. Then at least I can snag those perk points, craft an occasional legendary/unique item, and move on.

Please report this fatal bug to the developer, instead of taking the players for fools. I don't know if you know about it. The game is buggy a lot. Else, the game will end up having a scam image.

So, for the future of the game, don't make it up and report the bugs.
Post automatically merged:

Cyberpunk 2077 has a big problem with save corruption if you craft too much. When the file exceeds 8mb, it becomes corrupted ... CD Projekt moderators invite players to play and craft less ... Because it's "It's by design"

Sources :

Last edited:
As a temporary fix, why not just make the crafting tree take like 1/10 or even less experience to level up so we don't have to craft a billion things to level it to 20 AS INTENDED. Then at least I can snag those perk points, craft an occasional legendary/unique item, and move on.
There is actually a bug that can assist with this. I haven't personally verified this yet, but according to others in this thread dismantling 1 item within a stack will give you the amount of experience as if you dismantled the entire stack.

One suggestion was to collect green Max Docs for a little while and then dismantle them one at a time. That should boost your crafting level with minimal save file bloating.

As a temporary solution I can recommend to disassemble a few of the countless green MaxDocs you have picked up. They give an insane amount of xp when disassembled individually and most importantly you don't have to craft anything. I think it took me only 10 to get from lvl 14 to 15.

Edit:

There is actually a bug that can assist with this. I haven't personally verified this yet, but according to others in this thread dismantling 1 item within a stack will give you the amount of experience as if you dismantled the entire stack.

One suggestion was to collect green Max Docs for a little while and then dismantle them one at a time. That should boost your crafting level with minimal save file bloating.

Heh you beat me to it ^^

I'd like to hear what your savegame size is, what your system is, what the size is of your last loadable save.
Also I'd like to know if you've crafted a lot and if so, what you crafted. If not, how many components did you have?
And if you inventory is big.
Also useful, how much of the game did you do?

I'm on the PS5 and while I'm not too deep into the game yet. Just started Act 2 and I haven't gotten heavily into crafting, especially after reading about this issue. I don't have all the info since I'm not at home atm.

But what's interesting is, all my save files, from the last one I made just recently, all the way back to the ones that are from the prologue are all 12.59MB.

Maybe this is just a PS5 thing I have no idea. But it would be interesting to see other player's save size from other platforms.

Last edited:
I've only tested for a bit, but turning off Player Activity Analytics seems to help. It's under Gameplay options.
When people mentioned that basically everything you do causes the savegame to grow, this rang a bell with me.

Needs more testing.

Can now also confirm that save file reads cut off at 8192K.
Excerpt from the save i attempted to read. Blue line is last to fit within 8192K
Was able to find the save in memory while cyberpunk was stuck on black screen trying to load it. Why the last readable character changed i have no idea but i assume the program expects end of file shenanigans instead of my mess.

One way of preventing buffer overwrites is to stop the incrementing of the address where to place next byte read from the stream once it reach the max size. This means that all bytes read after the max length is placed in the last byte overwriting it constantly.

Top Bottom