Save files are corrupted

+
Question as a One X user here.

I haven't seen this issue popping up on consoles at all. And most seem to think its PC only. Or at worst we console users just haven't hit out limit yet.

But that aside, if thid is PC only... how and why would this issue only affect PC and not consoles? I'm not tech wiz so I'm curious how this issue would potentially only plague a certain platform, but not others?

Like the PS3 Skyrim bug that caused those saves to become corrupt and ubloadable after a certain limit was reached.

How does that only affect certain platforms? Is it like the PC version is running different to the console versions? I very curious how something like thid could only affect PC and not console.

I have corrupted files at 5MB only.

Someone else earlier reported games corrupting long before the 8mb max. I believe they were on GOG and turned cloud save off. Think they made backups of their saves and reinstalled the game.

Check back earlier in this thread. If their fix doesn't work or apply to your case, I don't know what the problem is. However, it's basically unanimous that the max file size is 8mb.

I haven't seen this issue popping up on consoles at all. And most seem to think its PC only. Or at worst we console users just haven't hit out limit yet.

But that aside, if thid is PC only... how and why would this issue only affect PC and not consoles? I'm not tech wiz so I'm curious how this issue would potentially only plague a certain platform, but not others?

Like the PS3 Skyrim bug that caused those saves to become corrupt and ubloadable after a certain limit was reached.

How does that only affect certain platforms? Is it like the PC version is running different to the console versions? I very curious how something like thid could only affect PC and not console.

From my limited understanding, the way the consoles save and access the save files may be different. All PS5 users note a 12mb file size for saves. Also, if I'm not mistaken, they can only have 20(?) manual save files. Whereas PC users dont have a max number of save files. Not sure about the Xbox, but I would guess that it behaves more like the PS5 than a PC with regards to the save files.

For example, when you launch the game, does it go through a launcher like steam, GOG or however google stadia launches? Or does it boot straight away? I have no idea if this would play a part in the issue, just using it as an example of a difference between console vs PC accessing the game.

I wonder how other games avoided this type of issue. My FNV game has a character that has far more items in their inventory that I think I'll ever have in this game. From chems, to crafting components, to weapons and armor, to huge stacks of thousands of rounds of ammunition. These all get saved into a batch of data also, and then tossed back into RAM when I load the game up, and I don't have to worry about my save being corrupted just because of all that crap I'm carrying. So I'm curious what an engine that's been updated since it was adopted by Bethesda in the '90's is doing different than Red Engine, to avoid this very problem. Do they just have no idea how to code something like this?

I think the moderator who dismissed this issue early in this threat must feel pretty embarrassed considering how this topic about broken save files is exploding right now. I was one of the first players to experience and analyze this issue and have pointed a number of big reviewers at this game breaking bug. And like I said, every day more players are running into this issue. The more game hours the more broken save files and unhappy players.

My save file has been at 8,185 for 3 days now. I can't play the game anymore without corrupting the save file. I expect a hotfix for this issue shortly as CDPR cannot afford the ongoing hammering about this issue. Thanks to all of you for making noise, researching and reporting about this problem. I hope I will be able to play this game again soon because despite all of the bugs CDPR has created an amazing open world and I can see the potential for this game becoming a hit for many years to come when the bugs are fixed and multiplayer is launched.

Someone else earlier reported games corrupting long before the 8mb max.

The first of them is a size of 4.55 MB (entire catalog with png thumbnail have 4.72 - ManualSave-55).
(ManualSave-40 have also this size but this is my mistake - I've overwritten one of the position... clicked save again instead of loading o_O)

There must be also another reason for this issue. My files are too small. First time I've spotted this problem near 4-5 days ago. I've reverted back a few files to working save and continued my journey. I've collected near all items I've found - and I've crafted a lot - especially for level-up.
But until now I had 3-4 series of damaged savegame files. It's sad :(

It's impossible to future play for me due to this error.
I've lost the entire day (today) and also a few hours in previous sessions.
Now I'm sure that after 1h I will again get damaged save. For me, no further play is possible - the game is unplayable now in my situation.
(but the problem will not occur with newly started game)

This error was present also in version 1.04
(ManualSave-55 is from Thursday - but I'm not sure - it was the first or second situation when I spotted this problem).

Those marked with yellow are corrupted. Maybe there are more of them.

Snap009355a.png

Last edited:
@ hakimodo: Back on pages 8 and 9, a user Karputski, I believe it was, mentioned a similar problem with smaller saves being corrupt. Try doing what they did and see if that fixes your issue. That's the person I was referencing in my previous post.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what the cause is to the problem you are facing, sorry.

Yes it seems like it reads all of the file, but after the 8mb limit it just keeps rewriting the last character to avoid memory access violation related problems/crashes. A cheap trick but it keeps the compiler silent and game doesn't crash (although it doesn't work either)

Also it looks like the metadata files for each savegame holds a special field with the exact size of the .dat file. From my understanding you could easily take this number and create what is called a dynamic sized buffer to never have a buffer overflow problem (maybe there's something I haven't considered though, like platform specific limits)

For the saving procedure, an approach of creating dynamic sized buffer based on size of gamestate object (using good old sizeof function or something) could be facilitated.

I don't know if that's even viable options due to severily limited knowledge of red engine's architecture and variables behind decisions made by engine programmers. Also it's late and my mind is barely working anymore.

@Duskguy
but the Autosaves as well as the few manual saves i did in between are corrupted as well. i backuped them and than tried them all, not a fckn single save is loadable.
= he manually restored working save. This not solved his problem.

It's exactly the same method when I manually checking the last save - not working - checking the previous... until I will find a working one. No need to reinstall the game because the game (as files) is not broken. This a game developer's fault...

We must wait until they will fix it.

Just a few pages back we had a console player with a corrupted save issue leading to a crash on PS4. It seems to not be PC limited. However, I imagine console issues with this may be different than PC is all.

Is it possible for someone to edit the topic title to clarify this is regarding the 8 MB size corruption issue and not any other corruption causes? Or does it not matter?

The problem is more complicated. Looks like you can see this error no matter how big filesize you have (after specified terms, when your file is big enough).

Is it possible for someone to edit the topic title to clarify this is regarding the 8 MB size corruption issue and not any other corruption causes? Or does it not matter?

That's part of the issue. We don't know if the file size limit alone is the major factor, or it's something else. However, on PC it seems to be more often at least tied to this save file size going over its 'end of line' limit.

From my limited understanding, the way the consoles save and access the save files may be different. All PS5 users note a 12mb file size for saves. Also, if I'm not mistaken, they can only have 20(?) manual save files. Whereas PC users dont have a max number of save files. Not sure about the Xbox, but I would guess that it behaves more like the PS5 than a PC with regards to the save files.

For example, when you launch the game, does it go through a launcher like steam, GOG or however google stadia launches? Or does it boot straight away? I have no idea if this would play a part in the issue, just using it as an example of a difference between console vs PC accessing the game.

It just boots up into the game. No launcher like GoG or Steam.

As for saves, I've noticed it only keeps 10 total autosaves(0 thru 9). It starts to overwrite the oldest autosave as so forth. I assume Manual saves are the same in that you can only have 10(0 thru 9 like autos) manual ones. Which would add up to the 20 save max.

Now on Xbox it shows the total file size of all combined saves. In order to see how big only 1 specific save file is, all other saves would needed deleted and only the specific save left. And that's what I do. I only keep one manual save. My current file is 5.0mb level 36 at about 66 hours, at the point of no return with only side missions, gigs and NCPD stuff left to do in Heywood, City Center, Santo Domingo, Pacifica, and the area south of Pacifica/Santo Domingo.

Also I heard on PlayStation the 12mb shown isn't file size, but the total allotted space for that specific save file. So apparently PlayStation users can't ever actually see their save file's true size. Just the 12mb allotted per individual save file.

I guess to me it just seems really weird amd confusing that this corruption issue would only affect PC and not console. I don't get how PC functions in a way that this bug could occur yet consoles don't.

All this assuming this truly is a PC only bug.

Have you tried deleting some older saves Hakimodo, the game might not like it when there are too many manual saves
No need. The game is not touching them until you try to load them (after save-55 I've played 3 days more when my save grows in size).

And this is the entire problem - you will don't know about this until you will load the game again.
You can save and play... save again, save... but when you die (reload last save) or try to load it the next day - you will be unpleasantly surprised...

Just a few pages back we had a console player with a corrupted save issue leading to a crash on PS4. It seems to not be PC limited. However, I imagine console issues with this may be different than PC is all.

Oh? Was it the same situation though? I recall reading that the PS4 and PS5 show each individual file as a static 12mb. The total allotted space per each individual save file. So a PlayStation user wouldn't be able to determine if they actually hit this 8mb wall or if their issue was related to something else.

But still, if a PS4 player reported it that potentially puts PlayStation is the line of fire for this bug. But i have yet to see any Xbox users report it.

Could the save systems be that different across each platform that this bug would affect some platforms, but not others?

That's part of the issue. We don't know if the file size limit alone is the major factor, or it's something else. However, on PC it seems to be more often at least tied to this save file size going over its 'end of line' limit.
From what I'm reading through the thread, people have a hard time understanding the idea that there can be multiple problems with the same symptom. So they see the thread title "save files are corrupted," and after reading through a few posts, for those people who have corrupted save files that are not 8 MB, they immediately jump to the conclusion that even though we already have people verifying it and providing proof of it attached in the thread, because their issue doesn't match the symptom, that can't possibly be a valid symptom. Then you have the people who are playing on console throwing in their two cents, not realizing that this is a PC only problem. So the thread ends up being really confusing to sift through.

Then you have the people who are playing on console throwing in their two cents, not realizing that this is a PC only problem. So the thread ends up being really confusing to sift through.

With all due respect, across numerous reddit posts and websites, its been repeatedly stated as "all platforms". Then there's some saying it's PC only then someone else refutes them and says it's console too.

So us console users are getting a lot of conflicting info. Truth be told we just want a clear and concise, reliable answer as to if this bug affects us or not.

Has there been any more official response on this issue?
Right now, I would be happy with a "We recognise this problem and are working to fix it" blog post or somesuch.

i just need to know that it's acknowledged and worked on

With all due respect, across numerous reddit posts and websites, its been repeatedly stated as "all platforms". Then there's some saying it's PC only then someone else refutes them andcsays it's console too.

So us console users are getting a lot of conflicting info.
Yes, that's exactly why the thread title needs to be clearer.

Edit: Also, I believe it's been pointed out that console saves are different, as someone's mentioned the PS4 saves being at least ~12 MB.

Top Bottom