Save files are corrupted

+
Because I've been having so much fun, I can forgive frequent crashes. I can forgive the areas that aren't yet fully polished or customization features that were intended but missing. I can forgive so many janky interactions but I can't forgive this. I've put ~120 hours into this game and to be told the work around is "don't do what you built your character around or start a new game and don't focus on crafting this time" is a bridge too far.

Seeing it miscast as an issue with the game being "not intended for NG++" for people still in the first playthrough (with less time than me!) is such a ridiculous misinterpretation I have to wonder if it was deliberate. It was the posts here by moderation that informed my final decision to request a refund from GOG.

Will selling off inventory items reduce the save game size or is the save game stuck with the data even after reducing the inventory? Some Bethesda games had this issue. Mod makers came out with tools to reduce the save game file.
It's not consistent on items you sell dropping the bloat. So that won't always be the answer.

Because I've been having so much fun, I can forgive frequent crashes. I can forgive the areas that aren't yet fully polished or customization features that were intended but missing. I can forgive so many janky interactions but I can't forgive this. I've put ~120 hours into this game and to be told the work around is "don't do what you built your character around or start a new game and don't focus on crafting this time" is a bridge too far.

Seeing it miscast as an issue with the game being "not intended for NG++" for people still in the first playthrough (with less time than me!) is such a ridiculous misinterpretation I have to wonder if it was deliberate. It was the posts here by moderation that informed my final decision to request a refund from GOG.
You requested a refund due to a mod on a forum? He is not a developer on the game. He can't fix the issue.

Noone wants a currupted save file. He is only trying to help us in avoiding the issue until there is a fix.

Be mad about the save issue sure but being upset because of the tone of a moderator is a bit much. People are way too sensitve nowadays.

All the people here testing and trying to figure out the specifics of what caused this, I don't give a damn. Don't waste your time with that crap. It's not your job, and you have been told that tech support is not here and does not care what you find here.

60$ for a 2 week subscription for a save file timebomb is just wrong. Essentially that is what I it comes down to, and had I known this I would not have purchased this game. It is a legitimate reason to get a refund as any other. The 2 hour refund crap that Steam offers does not cover this circumstance where your save file and progression in the game is bricked leaving you to endlessly replay content as a minimalist as if you are walking on glass. I spent 20+ hours replaying content doing this very thing and ultimately I came to the realization that I'd have to start the game completely over in order to actually get to the end.

The damage is done for me. I don't care to touch this game and spend another hour of my life replaying the content for at least a year if ever again. It is as if I went to a restaurant that gave me food poisoning, and despite this fact they refuse to even give me my money back. No I wont be patient. I patiently waited for release, and I would happily have waited another year and ultimately I plan to, but you messed up when you took my money for a broken product, and I have a right to my money back.

No you don't have a right to tell me to be patient. The product was released and I paid for a broken product. Discussion over.

Last edited by a moderator:
You requested a refund due to a mod on a forum? He is not a developer on the game. He can't fix the issue.

Noone wants a currupted save file. He is only trying to help us in avoiding the issue until there is a fix.

Be mad about the save issue sure but being upset because of the tone of a moderator is a bit much. People are way too sensitve nowadays.

No, I requested a refund because my save is teetering on the brink of oblivion. I came here to see what my options were, considering just refunding the game. The options as presented are unacceptable. Not surprised at the lack of charity in the reading of the post.

No, I requested a refund because my save is teetering on the brink of oblivion. I came here to see what my options were, considering just refunding the game. The options as presented are unacceptable. Not surprised at the lack of charity in the reading of the post.

Well there's a patch/hotfix coming very soon. Wait to see if that fixes it then make your decision.

Go here and follow my directions. The more people that do it, the more likely Steam is to capitulate and give a refund. If console players got a refund after god knows how long they played just because of crashing, then PC players damn well deserve a refund after their progression is literally locked and destroyed.
Post automatically merged:

Well there's a patch/hotfix coming very soon. Wait to see if that fixes it then make your decision.
I already waited for a patch. It was 1.05. I was the first person to run into this problem that I can find. I made videos, posts, and a ticket on the 14th. 1.05 basically made it worse where you have an endless load screen. No more error... problem solved... Refund time.

There's a patch/hotfix suspected very soon.

Regardless, I already requested a refund from GOG this afternoon after reading this thread. Better communication from community management probably would have kept me from doing so. Even something along the lines of "No timeline for a fix, but we're aware and it's being worked on" would have easily earned patience.

Instead I read "Maybe it'll get fixed...maybe not! Just don't play like that."

I made the right decision given the information I had.

Regardless, I already requested a refund from GOG this afternoon after reading this thread. Better communication from community management probably would have kept me from doing so. Even something along the lines of "No timeline for a fix, but we're aware and it's being worked on" would have easily earned patience.

Exactly. Fuck their communication. They put this on themselves. Update when you get information on the refund. I've yet to get a response from Steam or GOG on my tickets or refund request.

Zero evidence atm this hotfix will cover this.
For all we can guess their priority is getting PS4 version playable so it's back on PS Store. Because this means a lot of money.
And money is only language companies that are registered on stockmarket talk.

Zero evidence atm this hotfix will cover this.
For all we can guess their priority is getting PS4 version playable so it's back on PS Store. Because this means a lot of money.
And money is only language companies that are registered on stockmarket talk.

Hence why i'm saying to chill and wait a couple of days. You don't wanna be a gonk by getting it refunded because of this exact issue and then it be fixed 24 hours later. But hey this is the internet, I know logic doesn't exist here :rolleyes:

I'm concerned about this issue aswell as i'm 60 hours in and my save is nearing 5mb. Just have some paitence. If it's not fixed before Xmas then fine do whatever.

This doesn't sound like the same issue. When your game crashes, it generates a crash dump file, I can't remember where but it lets you view the dump file from the popup window that says the game flatlined. Have you read that dump file, and can you copy/paste it here?

No it didn't seem like the same issue to me since none of the saves would load at all, but literally nothing else has changed on this system. That said, without thread or debug info it's impossible to say, but I looked up the dll at the bottom of the stack here and it might be GPU/driver related? Very odd... again haven't changed a thing here... (edit: I take that back. I changed RTX setting from high to psycho today, but just kept playing instead of rebooting. That is the only setting I changed, and I changed back after the load save failed... obviously did not fix by reverting the setting).

EDIT: Unfortunately I don't have any more time to spend on this today, but it's worth mentioning that obviously I have tried resetting all settings to defaults, reinstalled the GPU driver, and "re-installed" the Cyberpunk2077.exe by .bak-ing it and letting steam re-download it. And it may also be worth mentioning that after letting steam re-download the .exe (same file size) it got much further than it had before (loading screen and progress bar)... guessing something (almost certainly in render pipeline) is corrupted (texture files maybe?)... wil try reinstalling game later, but I want to be sure my saves are backed up first.

Error reason: Unhandled exception
Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
Message: The thread attempted to read inaccessible data at 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
File: <Unknown>(0)

Version=1
EventType=REDEngineErrorReport
EventTime=0
ReportIdentifier=ffffffff-ffffffff-00000001-00000000
Sig[0].Name=StackHash
Sig[0].Value=0x0000000000000000
Sig[1].Name=ErrorReason
Sig[1].Value=Unhandled exception
Sig[2].Name=InternalVersion
Sig[2].Value=3.0.3233390 P4CL: 4173226 Stream: //R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
DynamicSig[1].Value=10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.1
LoadedModule[0]=Cyberpunk2077.exe
LoadedModule[1]=ntdll.dll
LoadedModule[2]=KERNEL32.DLL
LoadedModule[3]=KERNELBASE.dll
LoadedModule[4]=USER32.dll
LoadedModule[5]=win32u.dll
LoadedModule[6]=GDI32.dll
LoadedModule[7]=gdi32full.dll
LoadedModule[8]=msvcp_win.dll
LoadedModule[9]=ucrtbase.dll
LoadedModule[10]=ADVAPI32.dll
LoadedModule[11]=msvcrt.dll
LoadedModule[12]=sechost.dll
LoadedModule[13]=RPCRT4.dll
LoadedModule[14]=SHELL32.dll
LoadedModule[15]=ole32.dll
LoadedModule[16]=combase.dll
LoadedModule[17]=SETUPAPI.dll
LoadedModule[18]=cfgmgr32.dll
LoadedModule[19]=VERSION.dll
LoadedModule[20]=bcrypt.dll
LoadedModule[21]=WS2_32.dll
LoadedModule[22]=OLEAUT32.dll
LoadedModule[23]=icuuc.dll
LoadedModule[24]=XINPUT1_3.dll
LoadedModule[25]=HID.DLL
LoadedModule[26]=icuin.dll
LoadedModule[27]=bink2w64.dll
LoadedModule[28]=dbghelp.dll
LoadedModule[29]=PhysX3CharacterKinematic_x64.dll
LoadedModule[30]=PhysX3Common_x64.dll
LoadedModule[31]=PhysX3_x64.dll
LoadedModule[32]=PhysX3Cooking_x64.dll
LoadedModule[33]=PxFoundation_x64.dll
LoadedModule[34]=POWRPROF.dll
LoadedModule[35]=d3d11.dll
LoadedModule[36]=redlexer_native.dll
LoadedModule[37]=libcurl.dll
LoadedModule[38]=WLDAP32.dll
LoadedModule[39]=CRYPT32.dll
LoadedModule[40]=Normaliz.dll
LoadedModule[41]=amd_ags_x64.dll
LoadedModule[42]=WINMM.dll
LoadedModule[43]=Galaxy64.dll
LoadedModule[44]=MSVCP140.dll
LoadedModule[45]=VCRUNTIME140.dll
LoadedModule[46]=dxgi.dll
LoadedModule[47]=WININET.dll
LoadedModule[48]=IPHLPAPI.DLL
LoadedModule[49]=MSWSOCK.dll
LoadedModule[50]=VCRUNTIME140_1.dll
LoadedModule[51]=NRD.dll
LoadedModule[52]=oo2ext_7_win64.dll
LoadedModule[53]=icudt.dll
LoadedModule[54]=IMM32.DLL
LoadedModule[55]=UMPDC.dll
LoadedModule[56]=gameoverlayrenderer64.dll
LoadedModule[57]=PSAPI.DLL
LoadedModule[58]=CRYPTBASE.DLL
LoadedModule[59]=bcryptPrimitives.dll
LoadedModule[60]=kernel.appcore.dll
LoadedModule[61]=windows.storage.dll
LoadedModule[62]=Wldp.dll
LoadedModule[63]=SHCORE.dll
LoadedModule[64]=shlwapi.dll
LoadedModule[65]=clbcatq.dll
LoadedModule[66]=wbemprox.dll
LoadedModule[67]=wbemcomn.dll
LoadedModule[68]=wbemsvc.dll
LoadedModule[69]=fastprox.dll
LoadedModule[70]=amsi.dll
LoadedModule[71]=USERENV.dll
LoadedModule[72]=profapi.dll
LoadedModule[73]=MpOav.dll
LoadedModule[74]=uxtheme.dll
LoadedModule[75]=k_fps64.dll
LoadedModule[76]=EasyHook64.dll
LoadedModule[77]=d3dx10_43.dll
LoadedModule[78]=D3DCOMPILER_43.dll
LoadedModule[79]=OPENGL32.dll
LoadedModule[80]=d3dx9_43.dll
LoadedModule[81]=GLU32.dll
LoadedModule[82]=apphelp.dll
LoadedModule[83]=EVGA_NahimicAPIDevProps2.dll
LoadedModule[84]=GameServicesSteam.dll
LoadedModule[85]=steam_api64.dll
LoadedModule[86]=steamclient64.dll
LoadedModule[87]=imagehlp.dll
LoadedModule[88]=vstdlib_s64.dll
LoadedModule[89]=Secur32.dll
LoadedModule[90]=tier0_s64.dll
LoadedModule[91]=SSPICLI.DLL
LoadedModule[92]=CRYPTSP.dll
LoadedModule[93]=rsaenh.dll
LoadedModule[94]=napinsp.dll
LoadedModule[95]=pnrpnsp.dll
LoadedModule[96]=wshbth.dll
LoadedModule[97]=NLAapi.dll
LoadedModule[98]=DNSAPI.dll
LoadedModule[99]=NSI.dll
LoadedModule[100]=winrnr.dll
LoadedModule[101]=fwpuclnt.dll
LoadedModule[102]=rasadhlp.dll
LoadedModule[103]=d3d12.dll
LoadedModule[104]=GFSDK_Aftermath_Lib.x64.dll
LoadedModule[105]=nvwgf2umx.dll
LoadedModule[106]=dxcore.dll
LoadedModule[107]=msasn1.dll
LoadedModule[108]=cryptnet.dll
LoadedModule[109]=WINTRUST.DLL
LoadedModule[110]=nvspcap64.dll
LoadedModule[111]=ntmarta.dll
LoadedModule[112]=nvapi64.dll
LoadedModule[113]=nvldumdx.dll
LoadedModule[114]=D3DSCache.dll
LoadedModule[115]=twinapi.appcore.dll
LoadedModule[116]=schannel.DLL
LoadedModule[117]=mskeyprotect.dll
LoadedModule[118]=NTASN1.dll
LoadedModule[119]=ncrypt.dll
LoadedModule[120]=ncryptsslp.dll
LoadedModule[121]=iertutil.dll
LoadedModule[122]=ondemandconnroutehelper.dll
LoadedModule[123]=winhttp.dll
LoadedModule[124]=WINNSI.DLL
LoadedModule[125]=MMDevApi.dll
LoadedModule[126]=DEVOBJ.dll
LoadedModule[127]=AudioSes.dll
LoadedModule[128]=ProductInfo.dll
LoadedModule[129]=Wtsapi32.dll
LoadedModule[130]=PropSys.dll
LoadedModule[131]=dinput8.dll
LoadedModule[132]=inputhost.dll
LoadedModule[133]=wintypes.dll
LoadedModule[134]=CoreMessaging.dll
LoadedModule[135]=CoreUIComponents.dll
LoadedModule[136]=MSCTF.dll
LoadedModule[137]=resourcepolicyclient.dll
LoadedModule[138]=textinputframework.dll
LoadedModule[139]=Windows.Perception.Stub.dll
LoadedModule[140]=gpapi.dll
LoadedModule[141]=nvngx.dll
LoadedModule[142]=NvTelemetryAPI64.dll
LoadedModule[143]=DEVRTL.dll
LoadedModule[144]=drvstore.dll
LoadedModule[145]=SPINF.dll
LoadedModule[146]=nvngx_dlss.dll
LoadedModule[147]=nvcuda.dll
LoadedModule[148]=nvcuda64.dll
LoadedModule[149]=dcomp.dll
LoadedModule[150]=dwmapi.dll
LoadedModule[151]=NvTelemetryBridge64.dll
LoadedModule[152]=WINSTA.dll
LoadedModule[153]=Windows.UI.dll
LoadedModule[154]=WindowManagementAPI.dll
LoadedModule[155]=nvrtum64.dll
LoadedModule[156]=nvptxJitCompiler64.dll
AppName=Cyberpunk2077.exe

Last edited:

"No timeline for a fix, but we're aware and it's being worked on" would have easily earned patience. "

Well you couldn't of looked very hard because i've just found this. https://support.cdprojektred.com/en...or-saved-data-is-damaged-and-cannot-be-loaded

"Unfortunately, the corrupted files cannot be fixed but we are looking into the save file size limit. "

Says to me they're looking at fixing it.

Except the community management was in no position to tell you that it was being worked on. At that point in time in the post, there wasn't even a FAQ for this on GOG's support website. The initial response from GOG was rough, stating they MIGHT increase the file size limit, but, there's no way to know what the actual problem is. That message was updated, yesterday I think, or the day before, to state that they are aware of the issue. You got exactly what you asked for, except you didn't get it when you wanted it.

I'm not going to defend the (now infamous) statement made by Sigilfey. What I am going to defend was his, or her, right to say it. Moderators are entitled their opinions, as are we all. Their opinion obviously rubbed people the wrong way, but, it was just that, their opinion.

Mods correct me if I am wrong, but, NONE of the moderators speak for CDPR. Anyone who speaks for CDPR will have clear indicators in their little profile picture area, or maybe in their signatures, that they are in fact employees of CDPR. Either way, there is a distinction that is hard to miss when it's CDPR versus a Moderator versus us regular joes.

Sigilfey gave their opinion on the issue, and their way of seeing the issue didn't really resonate with everyone, but, they were entitled to say it. Should they have said it? I can't answer that.

You requested a refund and I hope you get it. This entire fiasco has been nothing but a headache since release.

Hence why i'm saying to chill and wait a couple of days. You don't wanna be a gonk by getting it refunded because of this exact issue and then it be fixed 24 hours later. But hey this is the internet, I know logic doesn't exist here :rolleyes:

I'm concerned about this issue aswell as i'm 60 hours in and my save is nearing 5mb. Just have some paitence. If it's not fixed before Xmas then fine do whatever.

Logic would dictate that if they recognized the issue and were working on a patch, there would be communication about it in some form or another. Logic would not lead us to post conjecture about what may or may not be in patches. Logic would lead us to the conclusion that a game with this many issues this early will have more found.

My patience has been exhausted and every attempt at giving the benefit of the doubt has been thoroughly disarmed. Your defense and theory crafting are not predicated on logic.

Logic would dictate that if they recognized the issue and were working on a patch, there would be communication about it in some form or another. Logic would not lead us to post conjecture about what may or may not be in patches. Logic would lead us to the conclusion that a game with this many issues this early will have more found.

My patience has been exhausted and every attempt at giving the benefit of the doubt has been thoroughly disarmed. Your defense and theory crafting are not predicated on logic.

"Unfortunately, the corrupted files cannot be fixed but we are looking into the save file size limit. "

I'd like to mention that we're doing research in why and how this save game corruption is triggered the fastest, so we can give advice to players who come here and don't have a save teetering on corruption so they can adapt their playstyle and buy themselves enough time to wait for a fix without parking their save/playthrough.

I'd also like to mention, although I don't agree with the wording of Sigilfey, the advice conveyed has been the concensus we've reached. Avoid crafting for now, and if your save is too close to corruption, start a new game for now, and wait for a fix.
Hopefully it'll come with a bit of code that'll deflate the saves we already have.
If not. hopefully the modding community will come forward with a save game editor that'll do that.

Make sure you backup your saves that aren't corrupted yet. just incase.

Top Bottom