Save files are corrupted

+
Just finished a 90 hr completionist run on my first playthrough, was lucky I found this news at the last minute as my save file was 5.85 mb.

I did a test as I have a crafting build with 18 technical and legendary perk, just went to Vs apartment and made a whole bunch of components and ammo. And walla, save file bloated to 6mb within a few minutes of non stop crafting. So yeah, definitely a problem.

I have tons of loot and finished every single quest in the game including NCPD dispatches, so it seems isolated to just crafting at least from my end.

I love this game and I never encountered any game breakers until now, still going to play it just a shame have to avoid crafting for now.

Why no one is paying attention to this post?
It answer one of the question we have been asking since the beginning of the thread (I read all the posts).
It is possible, without crafting, to do all the missions without corrupting the save.
The problem is that if you do not craft, you are cutting around 20% of gaming playstyles (since we have 5 attributes).

So far, there is around ZERO confirmation whether this eventual problem is real or not ... isolated cases do not determine the experience of the majority. The fact is that, on the PC, the game has not had any problems with Save Files.

And problems exist when they arise, many here are commenting on such an 'about the eminence to arise', without even having had any problems about.

Avoid misinformation, avoid believing everything you read ... especially when what you read does not match facts or does not correspond to facts.
What the hell are you doing here then? Read the title of the topic.

I put it on my life, I did not do any exploits, duping glitches, or mods. I played the game as intended. I am a hoarder in these type of games as I have been since Fallout 3 in 2008 and that was no problem for that old game. I also like to craft. I got to level 18 of 20 crafting.

The problem is 100% eventual if you craft and collect items in the game. It happened for me the 5th day after release. It ultimately cost me 100+ hours of play time lost permanently. This isn't a joke... this fucking sucked. Try to reach level 20 crafting and let me know what your file size is... Don't come here with that "oh my game is fine, and this is misinformation." I attached my save... have fun trying to load it. And while you do picture what you could have done with that 100 hours of your life that you wont get back. Sick of people online lerking in places to say crap they have no business with.

What the hell are you doing here then? Read the title of the topic.

I put it on my life, I did not do any exploits, duping glitches, or mods. I played the game as intended. I am a hoarder in these type of games as I have been since Fallout 3 in 2008 and that was no problem for that old game. I also like to craft. I got to level 18 of crafting

The problem is 100% eventual if you craft and collect items in the game. It happened for me the 5th day after release. It ultimately cost me 100+ hours of play time lost permanently. This isn't a joke... this fucking sucked. Try to reach level 20 crafting and let me know what your file size is... Don't come here with that "oh my game is fine, and this is misinformation." I attached my save... have fun trying to load it. And while you do picture what you could have done with that 100 hours of your life that you wont get back.

Report of any problems should be sent to CDPR (via support). Only then do they become aware of. here (in my case, Portuguese):

154 hours in game here, PC... a lot of itens crafted, a lot of things on inventary - more then 60k... no one file corrupted... all entire save folder (each): 4 mb.

Just a tip: dont use mods...at finish the update fix wave (Febuary).

So I checked my first playthrough, no mods there, just normal playing and doing a bit of crafting.
5.5 mb roughly.
That was after around 60 hours of playing.
So thats quite closer to the 8mb which got me worried for my actual playthrough where I plan to be way more completionist.

I really hope this gets looked at closer by the developers.

Cheers :)

So far, there is around ZERO confirmation whether this eventual problem is real or not ... isolated cases do not determine the experience of the majority. The fact is that, on the PC, the game has not had any problems with Save Files.

And problems exist when they arise, many here are commenting on such an 'about the eminence to arise', without even having had any problems about.

Avoid misinformation, avoid believing everything you read ... especially when what you read does not match facts or does not correspond to facts.

Okay, let's break this down.

"Avoid misinformation, avoid believing everything you read especially when what you read does not match facts or does not correspond to facts."

At it's core, that's good advice that I would agree with, and give to anyone else gathering information from a source like the internet. In this instance, here's the problem:

1.) There is save file bloat. I will not deny that what is causing the bloat is speculative, however, the bloat does exist. You can confirm this yourself by creating a new save, saving every hour or so, and keeping track of the save file size. This fact has been tested and reproduced, hence why it's a fact.

2.) The game has a hard save file limit of 8192KB. This is confirmed not only in the executable, but in .ini files found in the games files. This is universal across all players. So this is also a fact.

3.) When the game exceeds 8192KB of player data in memory, the game will not shut down. You can continue to play the game. This can be reproduced yourself by downloading any of the save files here that are at the very cusp of reaching 8192KB, loading that save, mass crafting something like 45k consumables, pushing you over the 8192KB save file limit in memory. This is a fact.

4.) When you try to save your game to file, let's say from the previous example, the game will cut off whatever data is in excess of 8192KB when dumping memory to file, rendering the save file corrupt. This can be reproduced by following the steps in numbers three and four, and then attempting to load the game. We know the game is cutting off all data after 8192KB because the file size is always 8192KB, and all affected files of that size are missing their end of file marker. Which means writing to the file was halted at 8192KB in such a way that the application didn't even get to complete the file. Hence the missing End of File marker. This is a fact.

5.) When attempting to load these saves, they will not load. There's not much more background I can give on this. There's no way to recover these saves because they are missing data that got cut off during the dump to file when it hit the max file size limit. This is a fact.

6.) This incident, at the moment, is isolated to PC. I believe out of the forty something pages in this post, we have had one PlayStation user with a corrupt save, and we cannot even verify if it's related to this issue in particular because of the way the PlayStation handles their save files. They allocate space for the file, and the actual file size is allowed to grow or shrink depending on the data being written. So as of right now, it's not possible for us to know what the exact save file sizes are for the PlayStation users. I don't even think we get accurate file size numbers from the Xbox users either, but, they can at least check their file sizes by deleting all of their other saves in the folder. This is just an estimate because we don't know if there are configuration files being bundled up with the save file.

So, according to your logic, there is a problem. This isn't a doomsday post where a bunch of people are swearing that the sword of damocles is about to drop on everyone's heads with little to no information to back it up. We've done the testing and looked at the numbers from as analytical of a standpoint as possible, because we don't want it to be true either. However, that's not what the facts are pointing to. The facts are pointing to a real issue that's going to hit everyone at some point or another, because eventually, everyone is going to spec into crafting and have a playthrough where they abuse the crap out of it, thus ballooning their save file size.

I can understand that you don't want it to be true either. However, here in this post, your experience is in the minority, as we have users who have less playtime than you who are affected by this. There are even cheating websites that have tested and confirmed that there is save file bloat related to crafting. That's two communities now that have confirmed something that you seem to want to dismiss as a non-issue.

You're entitled to your opinion. However, I can't in good faith agree with any part of it because that's just not what the facts point to. I'm sorry.

Edit: I'm not trying to come across as being mean about this. It may seem snarky, but, that's kind of the way I write. So if any offense is gleaned from this I do apologize. My initial reaction was to be very personal about it and attack your post, but, that's not what we're here to do, and hurling insults gets us nowhere.

Last edited:
Okay, let's break this down.

"Avoid misinformation, avoid believing everything you read especially when what you read does not match facts or does not correspond to facts."

At it's core, that's good advice that I would agree with, and give to anyone else gathering information from a source like the internet. In this instance, here's the problem:

1.) There is save file bloat. I will not deny that what is causing the bloat is speculative, however, the bloat does exist. You can confirm this yourself by creating a new save, saving every hour or so, and keeping track of the save file size. This fact has been tested and reproduced, hence why it's a fact.

2.) The game has a hard save file limit of 8192KB. This is confirmed not only in the executable, but in .ini files found in the games files. This is universal across all players. So this is also a fact.

3.) When the game exceeds 8192KB of player data in memory, the game will not shut down. You can continue to play the game. This can be reproduced yourself by downloading any of the save files here that are at the very cusp of reaching 8192KB, loading that save, mass crafting something like 45k consumables, pushing you over the 8192KB save file limit in memory. This is a fact.

4.) When you try to save your game to file, let's say from the previous example, the game will cut off whatever data is in excess of 8192KB when dumping memory to file, rendering the save file corrupt. This can be reproduced by following the steps in numbers three and four, and then attempting to load the game. We know the game is cutting off all data after 8192KB because the file size is always 8192KB, and all affected files of that size are missing their end of file marker. Which means writing to the file was halted at 8192KB in such a way that the application didn't even get to complete the file. Hence the missing End of File marker. This is a fact.

5.) When attempting to load these saves, they will not load. There's not much more background I can give on this. There's no way to recover these saves because they are missing data that got cut off during the dump to file when it hit the max file size limit. This is a fact.

6.) This incident, at the moment, is isolated to PC. I believe out of the forty something pages in this post, we have has one PlayStation user with a corrupt save, and we cannot even verify if it's related to this issue in particular because of the way the PlayStation handles their save files. They allocate space for the file, and the actual file size is allowed to grow or shrink depending on the data being written. So as of right now, it's not possible for us to know what the exact save file sizes are for the PlayStation users. I don't even think we get accurate file size numbers from the Xbox users either, but, they can at least check their file sizes by deleting all of their other saves in the folder. This is just an estimate because we don't know if there are configuration files being bundled up with the save file.

So, according to your logic, there is a problem. This isn't a doomsday post where a bunch of people are swearing that the sword of damocles is about to drop on everyone's heads with little to no information to back it up. We've done the testing and looked at the numbers from as analytical of a standpoint as possible, because we don't want it to be true either. However, that's not what the facts are pointing to. The facts are pointing to a real issue that's going to hit everyone at some point or another, because eventually, everyone is going to spec into crafting and have a playthrough where they abuse the crap out of it, thus ballooning their save file size.

I can understand that you don't want it to be true either. However, here in this post, your experience is in the minority, as we have users who have less playtime than you who are affected by this. There are even cheating websites that have tested and confirmed that there is save file bloat related to crafting. That's two communities now that have confirmed something that you seem to want to dismiss as a non-issue.

You're entitled to your opinion. However, I can't in good faith agree with any part of it because that's just not what the facts point to. I'm sorry.

Views on a technical problem are only valuable if developers first know what the problem is. And, with absolute certainty, among those who will eventually correct any bugs. Moreover, mere and simple speculation. The first thing you do is send a report, as specified as possible, to Support.

Some of these bugs are mind numbingly STUPID ..... 8 MB in a modern game is too big? In a world of 1 TB drives they set an artificial limit of 8 MB?

WHY? WHY? WHY?

Kind of hard to blame that on management, that's a Developer mistake ... And a damned stupid one IMO

Can you explain the EASILY part? If it's that easy, then perhaps we can follow your steps and from that we might identify what causes the problem.

I'm 58 hours into this game and my latest save file is 3.7 MB, so I must be doing something differently. Not sure what though.

Watch SidAlphas video on this topic, he can say it much nicer.

TLDR is: dont craft and dont hoard.

Views on a technical problem are only valuable if developers first know what the problem is. And, with absolute certainty, among those who will eventually correct any bugs. Moreover, mere and simple speculation. The first thing you do is send a report, as specified as possible, to Support.

Multiple reports have been sent with the information that we have gathered. The problem is bloat, we've confirmed this. That's not speculation. What is speculation is what causes the bloat, that I cannot deny. Saying that the issue doesn't exist and is speculation until it's documented and delivered to the support team is disingenuous at best. Especially when it's the community that's troubleshot and generated the most information about the issue. Some part of me feels like you're not making a good faith argument here.

I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, I am only being vocal about how I feel. Nothing more.

Some of these bugs are mind numbingly STUPID ..... 8 MB in a modern game is too big? In a world of 1 TB drives they set an artificial limit of 8 MB?

WHY? WHY? WHY?

Kind of hard to blame that on management, that's a Developer mistake ... And a damned stupid one IMO

It depends on the platform, here - PC - the files are no more than 5 mb. You cannot make an eventual problem, which occurs with very few, into something common. In any case, the best way to correct this is by contacting CDPR Support.

Since CDPR is already aware of this issue, there have been several commits within their Steam internal branch, another one just 5 hours ago.

I think they may indeed provide a patch maybe before Christmas. Let's hope they have this topic in mind when releasing the next patch.

Multiple reports have been sent with the information that we have gathered. The problem is bloat, we've confirmed this. That's not speculation. What is speculation is what causes the bloat, that I cannot deny. Saying that the issue doesn't exist and is speculation until it's documented and delivered to the support team is disingenuous at best. Especially when it's the community that's troubleshot and generated the most information about the issue. Some part of me feels like you're not making a good faith argument here.

I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, I am only being vocal about how I feel. Nothing more.

The same thing here, i ll just paste: "It depends on the platform, here - PC - the files are no more than 5 mb. You cannot make an eventual problem, which occurs with very few, into something common. In any case, the best way to correct this is by contacting CDPR Support."

Since CDPR is already aware of this issue, there have been several commits within their Steam internal branch, another one just 5 hours ago.

I think they may indeed provide a patch maybe before Christmas. Let's hope they have this topic in mind when releasing the next patch.

May I ask how you know about their commits?
Just really curious :D.

The same thing here, i ll just paste: "It depends on the platform, here - PC - the files are no more than 5 mb. You cannot make an eventual problem, which occurs with very few, into something common. In any case, the best way to correct this is by contacting CDPR Support."

This is false, this is documented by many, many users here that saves are well above 5mb.

May I ask how you know about their commits?
Just really curious :D.

However latest commit is nothing development related though

Okay, now I am going to have to ask you to cite your source for this. What information do you have that contradicts the information that we have gathered? Where do you see that, for PC, the save file sizes are no more than 5MB?

Please cite your sources and your data. Because now this is beginning to smell like troll bait.

Why no one is paying attention to this post?
It answer one of the question we have been asking since the beginning of the thread (I read all the posts).
It is possible, without crafting, to do all the missions without corrupting the save.
The problem is that if you do not craft, you are cutting around 20% of gaming playstyles (since we have 5 attributes).
I think people want a save file rather than just testimony.

Okay, now I am going to have to ask you to cite your source for this. What information do you have that contradicts the information that we have gathered? Where do you see that, for PC, the save file sizes are no more than 5MB?

Please cite your sources and your data. Because now this is beginning to smell like troll bait.

I don't need to mention anything, by the way, I don't know why this topic is still open to mere speculations that add nothing to the eventual problem, if not to stage HATERS and all kinds of offenses and things that violate the rules of the community, which many seem to ignore over here.

Possible problems with save files, something that affects - in fact - a minority, report to Supporte.

That is really interesting, my latest sav.dat file is 5.5mb.

I don't need to mention anything, by the way, I don't know why this topic is still open to mere speculations that add nothing to the eventual problem, if not to stage HATERS and all kinds of offenses and things that violate the rules of the community, which many seem to ignore over here.

Possible problems with save files, something that affects - in fact - a minority, report to Supporte.

Well, the thing is you are presenting claims that straight up contradict verified data in this very topic. There are multiple posts in this thread where people have shared their savefiles which are over 5mb. So if you are going to present a claim that these files do not actually exist it's you who should prove this since there is already hard data that contradicts your claim.

When I look at the way you present yourself and your arguments it really seems like the only hater spewing unverified speculation is you. I hope some moderator will step in before you derail this thread into pointless flaming since you are not willing to show any proof for your claims.

Last edited:
Hey. I'm writing here because I'm really nervous about my save file.

I'm not very far into Act 2 and my save file is already 3.5 MB. Some people are saying the save file on PC probably won't be more than 5 MB but I'm a completionist. I did all of the yellow side quests in Watson that were available to me before the heist and I fully intend on doing every single side quest in the game.

Should I stop playing until they patch? Can they even patch this?

I have the auto-dismantle junk perk and I sell or dismantle any guns/clothes I am not currently wearing/using.

Top Bottom