Save files are corrupted

+
If life thought me anything it is that continuous complaints and nagging yield better results.

This here is a case where that warrants that approach.
I repeat my previous statement, that this should be first and only severe priority fix on PC.

There will be many more than is going to unknowingly encounter this over the next few weeks.

The same thing here, i ll just paste: "It depends on the platform, here - PC - the files are no more than 5 mb. You cannot make an eventual problem, which occurs with very few, into something common. In any case, the best way to correct this is by contacting CDPR Support."
You keep re-posting this, which is somewhat a forum rule violation. If you don't mind, please stop spamming it all the time, as it is getting off-topic and filling this thread with unnecessary and nonconstructive information.

You may have a misunderstanding to the purpose of this forum and especially this thread. We already contacted the Support and you would have known that if you actually would read the user posts.
Moreover this isn't about contacting the support anyway. This forum is made for discussions and feedback for the projects of CDPR. CDPR Staff is also reading here. This is far different from a personal support-ticket by contacting the Support for technical issues. This is about getting feedback with potential causes and solutions to the problem, that even CDPR officially has acknowledged.

May I ask how you know about their commits?
Just really curious :D.

Cheers :)

Of course, I checked it in the steamdb webpage:

Cheers
TalentX

Hey. I'm writing here because I'm really nervous about my save file.

I'm not very far into Act 2 and my save file is already 3.5 MB. Some people are saying the save file on PC probably won't be more than 5 MB but I'm a completionist. I did all of the yellow side quests in Watson that were available to me before the heist and I fully intend on doing every single side quest in the game.

Should I stop playing until they patch? Can they even patch this?

I have the auto-dismantle junk perk and I sell or dismantle any guns/clothes I am not currently wearing/using.
Personally, I wouldn't even start to worry unless you start getting above 6MB.

I'm not very far into Act 2 and my save file is already 3.5 MB. Some people are saying the save file on PC probably won't be more than 5 MB but I'm a completionist. I did all of the yellow side quests in Watson that were available to me before the heist and I fully intend on doing every single side quest in the game.

I have the auto-dismantle junk perk and I sell or dismantle any guns/clothes I am not currently wearing/using.

Above the perfect description of why I think this topic doesn't add up to anything else, after the problem - potential problem - has been reported to the competende channel - and the only way to get real help on.

A lot of misinformation here, rumors, just generate panic, something completely unnecessary.

At this point, it's hard to say, because there seem to be many contributing factors to what bloats a save file. Someone can craft and dismantle 1000 things and see a 2KB increase in file size, but then reload that same save to reset the file size and drive to another area and buy a car and see a 500KB increase in file size. So while we know bloat exists, we can't reliably figure out what causes the most bloat versus the least bloat. People say to avoid crafting and looting and the like and I am not so sure those are major contributing factors anymore. Though on a cheating forum, someone crafted 45k maxdoc 1s and saw a several MB increase in save file size, then deconstructed them and regained a portion of that file size gain.

Like Ravashack mentioned, I wouldn't worry and play normally until your save file hits around 6.5MB. Chances are you may not even hit the 8MB ceiling. Also, ignore IskrasFemme, they're a bad faith actor who is only here to cause problems, as I have asked them to cite their sources that refute our information and, at this moment, they have yet to do so.

I've asked them to cite their sources that back up their claims. We will see what happens. I agree, however, that this is smelling like troll bait and is definitely a bad faith argument. Please don't get banned because of this person. The fact that they PMd you "enjoy your ban" (screenshot that and upload it to imgur btw) just solidifies in my mind that they are here for some reason other than to contribute.
Yeah I'm done responding to them. Everytime I do my post gets deleted by someone a few seconds later... Look and try to find the post you quoted... It vanished. Getting censored is so fun

If the community hadn't raised awareness about this, I would 100% have corrupted my (at that time) 3 save files without being able to complete the game.
I was postponing the ending mission to clear all the side missions.
At that time my save game was 7,7Mb.

But since I was made aware of this issue, I dropped everything else and completed the final mission, and good thing I did.

I think people want a save file rather than just testimony.
I agree with you, but if no one is talking about it or asking the poster his save, it will just get buried under all our posts.;)
Also, I think we need a new Thread with just the info gathered here, because people are just reading the first page and jumping to conclusions.

Above the perfect description of why I think this topic doesn't add up to anything else, after the problem - potential problem - has been reported to the competende channel - and the only way to get real help on.

A lot of misinformation here, rumors, just generate panic, something completely unnecessary.
Speculation =/= misinformation. Please don't twist it as such. I'm sure CDPR is looking into this, but it doesn't hurt that people want to find answers, and/or a potential fix until the devs cover it.

Speculation =/= misinformation. Please don't twist it as such. I'm sure CDPR is looking into this, but it doesn't hurt that people want to find answers, and/or a potential fix until the devs cover it.

Sometimes, mass cooperation from the community can give the developers a jumping off point to start looking into an issue. Instead of starting from square one "save files are corrupt" they at least now know why they are corrupt, and what contributes to that corruption. This is especially critical as the developers are off for holiday, so ANY advantage that the community can give them, no matter how small, can be invaluable.

As I posted a few times after losing my crafting build.

Doing a playthrough while avoiding most crafting, the majority of normal file size increase comes from discovering each location of the map for the first time. Once you've done that, the game increases in file size much slower.

Main quests seem to increase the file size more than side quests, but not to a stupid degree.

For example, 13 trackable quests (a few main story, but most gigs) + lots of NYPD quests + random alerts increased the game file size from 3mb to 3.3mb.

If you do not focus on crafting as a primary goal, and/or do not use it to make thousands of items, then you SHOULD be okay to finish the game. Any crafting you do increases the game size, but if you are only doing dismantling, you should be okay.

If you get to a point where the game hangs at a black screen before the actual loading screen comes up, that's a warning sign. At that point, check your sav.dat file size. It will be around 5-6mb. That's when you should be worried, before then you're fine.

Okay, let's break this down.

"Avoid misinformation, avoid believing everything you read especially when what you read does not match facts or does not correspond to facts."

At it's core, that's good advice that I would agree with, and give to anyone else gathering information from a source like the internet. In this instance, here's the problem:

1.) There is save file bloat. I will not deny that what is causing the bloat is speculative, however, the bloat does exist. You can confirm this yourself by creating a new save, saving every hour or so, and keeping track of the save file size. This fact has been tested and reproduced, hence why it's a fact.

2.) The game has a hard save file limit of 8192KB. This is confirmed not only in the executable, but in .ini files found in the games files. This is universal across all players. So this is also a fact.

3.) When the game exceeds 8192KB of player data in memory, the game will not shut down. You can continue to play the game. This can be reproduced yourself by downloading any of the save files here that are at the very cusp of reaching 8192KB, loading that save, mass crafting something like 45k consumables, pushing you over the 8192KB save file limit in memory. This is a fact.

4.) When you try to save your game to file, let's say from the previous example, the game will cut off whatever data is in excess of 8192KB when dumping memory to file, rendering the save file corrupt. This can be reproduced by following the steps in numbers three and four, and then attempting to load the game. We know the game is cutting off all data after 8192KB because the file size is always 8192KB, and all affected files of that size are missing their end of file marker. Which means writing to the file was halted at 8192KB in such a way that the application didn't even get to complete the file. Hence the missing End of File marker. This is a fact.

5.) When attempting to load these saves, they will not load. There's not much more background I can give on this. There's no way to recover these saves because they are missing data that got cut off during the dump to file when it hit the max file size limit. This is a fact.

6.) This incident, at the moment, is isolated to PC. I believe out of the forty something pages in this post, we have had one PlayStation user with a corrupt save, and we cannot even verify if it's related to this issue in particular because of the way the PlayStation handles their save files. They allocate space for the file, and the actual file size is allowed to grow or shrink depending on the data being written. So as of right now, it's not possible for us to know what the exact save file sizes are for the PlayStation users. I don't even think we get accurate file size numbers from the Xbox users either, but, they can at least check their file sizes by deleting all of their other saves in the folder. This is just an estimate because we don't know if there are configuration files being bundled up with the save file.

So, according to your logic, there is a problem. This isn't a doomsday post where a bunch of people are swearing that the sword of damocles is about to drop on everyone's heads with little to no information to back it up. We've done the testing and looked at the numbers from as analytical of a standpoint as possible, because we don't want it to be true either. However, that's not what the facts are pointing to. The facts are pointing to a real issue that's going to hit everyone at some point or another, because eventually, everyone is going to spec into crafting and have a playthrough where they abuse the crap out of it, thus ballooning their save file size.

I can understand that you don't want it to be true either. However, here in this post, your experience is in the minority, as we have users who have less playtime than you who are affected by this. There are even cheating websites that have tested and confirmed that there is save file bloat related to crafting. That's two communities now that have confirmed something that you seem to want to dismiss as a non-issue.

You're entitled to your opinion. However, I can't in good faith agree with any part of it because that's just not what the facts point to. I'm sorry.

Edit: I'm not trying to come across as being mean about this. It may seem snarky, but, that's kind of the way I write. So if any offense is gleaned from this I do apologize. My initial reaction was to be very personal about it and attack your post, but, that's not what we're here to do, and hurling insults gets us nowhere.

The 8MB isn't the primary problem. Not in my opinion atleast. The problem is that savegames retain data that should've been purged. Bloating. Savegames are filled with air. That's why 8MB's can be reached. If there were no bloating, then I've got a hard time believing you'd actually hit the 8MB limit.

A full playthrough with no more icons on the map results (currently, with bloating) in a 6.5ish MB save file. You'd need to to craft *and hold* about 7200 on top of your normal gear to fill the save file. It's possible, but in my opinion you'd be trying.

I'm curious as to how much bloating there is in a save file that pretty much completed everything in the game without actually crafting stuff. Maybe it saves about 500KB, maybe it's 2MB. We can't really tell. But it'd save space, so you'd need probably around 10K grenades in your inventory to get this done. I welcome the person that sits behind their computer with the patience to craft 10k items and explains to me it's not to break the game. It'd take you more than 3 consecutive hours for something that doesn't add anything.

I think CDPR should increase the save file limit, but in my opinion it's not the primary issue.

Do you guys think some of the ideas i posted yesterday could be usefull? or are even technically probable to verify or check? basically if every "sidemessage" from crafting is also being logged in history among with other similiar hidden logs?

EDIT: and maybe if that would be the case of increased bloating of game?

I mean i guess what alot of people missed to notice was also that the whole crafting items and scrapped items leave a message on the left side of screen narrating whats happening --> does those "quick floating messages or infos" if you call em that might have something to do at inflating save files?

Also what also gives me thought are all the "subtitles" or speech bubbles from NPC's along with whole speech subtitles from story mode=> arent most bloats in story mode after one long "storyline cinematic" is done that the files bloat more than in other "action" filled missions where it wont be alot to talk about or at least less?

i mean i am no programmer or anything in this field of expertise

i we think that devs managed to put all those things as kind of "history flow" in save it would be possible for saves to bloat?

anyway im following the thread since the beggining and was one of the first people here to encounter the problem.
also sorry if similiar post was made i made it just to page 25 ATM and havent gotten time to check all the way to p32 but i just had to post my idea if that was maybe a possibility // a theory.

Also sorry about bad grammatics im just dead tired after a few very long consecutive days on work.

Best regards, Skowo

Do you guys think some of the ideas i posted yesterday could be usefull? or are even technically probable to verify or check? basically if every "sidemessage" from crafting is also being logged in history among with other similiar hidden logs?

EDIT: and maybe if that would be the case of increased bloating of game?

That's not entirely out of the question until we can rip open a save file into a human readable format and see what the game is keeping track of, anything is possible. So, yeah, it's something to consider, that the game is keeping track of any and all side messages you receive in the game.

What's the point of crafting if I can't do it because of some bonehead mistake?

A better solution is to raise the **artificial** UNNECESSARY file size cap ..... 8 MB is Chump Change size in the 21st Century

I can hold 4000 8MB files in my memory alone for cripes sakes ...... There is no need for a 8 MB file size limit, there just is not .... Occam's Razor definitely applies here

But you'll never convince a Cultist that their Cult is wrong ...... They have to figure that out for themselves

That's not entirely out of the question until we can rip open a save file into a human readable format and see what the game is keeping track of, anything is possible. So, yeah, it's something to consider, that the game is keeping track of any and all side messages you receive in the game.

This may in fact happen sooner than you might imagine.
The legendary Rick Gibbed is working on a Cyberpunk Save Editor :ohstopit:

It's just a matter of time until stable releases are shared I would say.
However I think by the time CDPR might already have a fix for the save files issue though.

What's the point of crafting if I can't do it because of some bonehead mistake?

A better solution is to raise the **artificial** UNNECESSARY file size cap ..... 8 MB is Chump Change size in the 21st Century

I can hold 4000 8MB files in my memory alone for cripes sakes ...... There is no need for a 8 MB file size limit, there just is not .... Occam's Razor definitely applies here

But you'll never convince a Cultist that their Cult is wrong ...... They have to figure that out for themselves

This was discussed at length earlier in the post. At first glance, increasing the size limit seems to be a logical fix for this issue. After we started to gather more information, we started to reconsider this stance. That save file limit was likely carried over from the previous REDengine, the one The Witcher 3 was developed on. Because none of those saves ever broached 6MB, I think, the 8MB limitation wasn't an issue.

REDengine 4 is a whole different beast, and the way the game itself stores user data seems to be a whole other animal as well.. So player information that would cause minimal bloat in The Witcher 3 would possibly cause a whole lot more bloat in Cyberpunk. We're not sure why or how. What we do know for a fact is that something is bloating the save files to dangerously high levels. You begin to see this when your save goes beyond 5.5MB. You hang on a black screen that can take anywhere from thirty seconds to two minutes to get past, depending on save file size.

So the larger the save file you have, speculatively, the longer the loading times will be. Now knowing all of this, increasing the file size limit seems to just be like putting a band-aid on a wound that requires a pressure dressing: The band-aid won't stop the bleeding, and you'll eventually be right back where you were at the beginning, you'll you hit the new file size limit. Because the cut off is 8192KB, we can't know for sure how much further past 8192KB the player data will go, so, we can't know what an acceptable size limit would be for the new ceiling, and giving the game unlimited room to balloon could possibly cause performance issues the larger the save file got.

The problem is the bloat. If the bloat can be fixed, or at least mitigated so it will never exceed 8192KB, then everything should be fine. One could argue that as a protective measure you could increase the file size limit by a bit and have the game warn the user to contact support if their save file size balloons close to that limit, but, on the other hand it's not always good to put checks in that encourage users to contact support because they freak out.

I dunno. It's a doodoo situation all around, and I really hope they fix it. All I can do at this point is offer my services to the community as a bouncing board to bounce ideas off of to hopefully point the devs in the right direction if they consider the community data when troubleshooting.

Some of these bugs are mind numbingly STUPID ..... 8 MB in a modern game is too big? In a world of 1 TB drives they set an artificial limit of 8 MB?

WHY? WHY? WHY?

Kind of hard to blame that on management, that's a Developer mistake ... And a damned stupid one IMO
Actually slightly more complicated than you put it.

The 8mb limit wasn't "set" by the developpers, it's just the limit the game can handle.
In fact, the bigger problem here isn't even the 8mb limit but the fact that savefiles bloat constantly.

Also, I kinda disagree to point out developpers for the issue.
If they had more time to work on the game they would probably have found the issue and fix it before release.

I don't need to mention anything, by the way, I don't know why this topic is still open to mere speculations that add nothing to the eventual problem, if not to stage HATERS and all kinds of offenses and things that violate the rules of the community, which many seem to ignore over here.

Possible problems with save files, something that affects - in fact - a minority, report to Supporte.
Actually, the point of this topic isn't to be offensive to anyone but merely try to understand what causes the issue and find ways to work around it (maybe even fix it, who knows).

So, of course, you can't prevent some people to be mean and just shout insults willy nilly because internet but this is not the purpose of this topic which is actually to help each other.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I too, sometimes lose faith on humanity when I read certain comments but this is not the purpose to this thread to blindly point out a bug and blame CDPR for it, we're trying to help the community until they fix it (which I'm sure they will but in the meantime, people want to play the game and want to know how they can achieve that without losing hundreds of hours of playtime).

Top Bottom