Save files are corrupted

+
Yes, yes it does. And it may just get longer the bigger your save is.
Atleast they won't corrupt.

Well, I'd prefer a 2-3 min load over losing 100+ hours again. Hopefully, they look into the actual bloat cause or a garbage collection code after the holidays.

If anybody encounters this issue - hotfix 1.06 will fix it and remove the 8MB limit on save files.
Thanks for fix before Christmas!
Post automatically merged:

Well, I'd prefer a 2-3 min load over losing 100+ hours again. Hopefully, they look into the actual bloat cause or a garbage collection code after the holidays.
This. On high character levels you dont die much so this shouldnt be so much problem for now.
Ability to progress and not corrupt save is more important than load time.

What are you all doing to get your saves over 8mb? I have over 125+ hours on my first playthrough and my last save is only a little over 4mb 5.1mb. Just curious.

edited: Correction: I typed the wrong save file size, it is 5.1mb not 4mb

Last edited:
First time posting in this forum, but i feel its necessary to congratulate CDPR for a quick fix
Been following this thread since a day after it first appeared and am glad that it's solved now

What are you all doing to get your saves over 8mb? I have over 125+ hours on my first playthrough and my last save is only a little over 4mb. Just curious.
I can confidentially say that's one of the lowest save file sizes I've seen reported for a playthrough that long. Like I'm actually kind of impressed. Wouldn't mind hearing if your playstyle includes anything that you could consider unconventional.

I have 79H almost no crafting and my save today hitted over 5mb so i dont know why my size is growing so fast

I can confidentially say that's one of the lowest save file sizes I've seen reported for a playthrough that long. Like I'm actually kind of impressed. Wouldn't mind hearing if your playstyle includes anything that you could consider unconventional.

I just fixed my op. I checked the wrong save file when I was looking. My last save from my first playthrough was 5.1mb. I don't know if I did anything very unconventional. I did some crafting but I not what I would consider a lot. I cleared my inventory after almost every mission breaking down any weapon that wasn't iconic/epic/legendary and any clothing item that was common. Then every so often I would go back to my apartment and drop the items I didn't break down into my stash. I completed all main story missions and all side missions. I only did a handful of the "blue cop" missions.

Last edited:
I just fixed my op. I checked the wrong save file when I was looking. My last save from my first playthrough was 5.1mb. I don't know if I did anything very unconventional. I did some crafting but I not what I would consider a lot. I cleared my inventory after almost every mission breaking down any weapon that wasn't epic/legendary and any clothing item that was common. Then every so often I would go back to my apartment and drop the items I didn't break down into my stash. I completed all main story missions and all side mission. I only did a handful of the "blue cop" mission.

From what I've read in this thread and both mine and others testing, it seems like the normal play stuff that causes the most bloat is hoarding items, traveling and exploring everywhere, and not looting dead bodies (since they seem to literally never go away unless you spend multiple days away from that chunk). So the cop missions, and to some extent the gigs are pretty big culprits since they take you EVERYWHERE and generally include killing people.

People who went really ham on crafting were the ones seeing it first since it seems like the item IDs from crafted stuff weren't being merged or deleted (item IDs don't seem to get deleted ever). If I had to guess why, I'd probably say because of the perks that change crafted items. So a tshirt that dropped would have a different item ID than the exact same tshirt that you crafted using the perk that gives crafted armor 2.5% more armor.

I got really into modding Skyrim back in the day and that's almost exactly how it handles item IDs so it really wouldn't shock me. The main difference was that Skyrim dumped the ID as soon as the weapon went away (either by dismantling it or selling it to a merchant).

Personally, my save is sitting at around 3.5MB after 40ish hours and JUST getting to Act 2. I've been walking pretty much everywhere and exploring pretty much every single place I could go. Imagine what it would look like after 150 hours or doing the same thing.

The dev team really knocked it out of the park with the fix though. You can't catch everything in playtesting so the fact that they fixed the issue 3 or 4 days after it was identified and that they did it RIGHT before Christmas deserves some mad props imo.

Correct :)

The hotfix will not fix saves that are already corrupted, but it will prevent save files getting corrupted in the future.

After downloading the hotfix players should resume the game from the last working save.

I thought it was only fixed for pc, i thought it was happening on the consoles to and also i don't see that you guys fixed for console in the patch notes.

I thought it was only fixed for pc, i thought it was happening on the consoles to and also i don't see that you guys fixed for console in the patch notes.

There was never any confirmation that it was happening on consoles due to the way they handle their save files, and the lack of console users coming here to confirm they were experiencing the issue. Out of all the posts here, I think we heard from maybe three console users and one of them had an unrelated issue.

Top Bottom