Save Scumming Revealed Poor Game Design

+
The realization of the randomized/legendary loot system doesn't feel bad in itself, the problem is that like a lot of things in the game, it feels half-assed.
What's really heart-wrenching to me about Cyberpunk 2077 is seeing the wasted potential, more than that, seeing what their goal with a certain system was going to be, but that goal will probably never going to be achieved now.

part of the major design problem which contributed to this issue is the insane cost of leveling up gear. the NEED to save scum is less of a problem if you are able to upgrade your old equipment at reasonable cost. do you REALLY need to save scum this new tanktop if the cost of upgrading that 4 socket legendary shirt you got 25 levels ago wasn't insanely high?

fashion is 1 thing, but the insane cost of upgrading gear is compounding this issue into a "need" status. if you are going to attempt don't fear the reaper at level 40 on very hard difficulty, you NEED those 4 sockets. you NEED that legendary burya with fire 2 rounds per shot bonus stat and 4 sockets. you NEED that 5000+ armor to survive 1 stray bullet to your pinky toe.

can you play with static drops? yes my 1st playthrough involves zero save scum and no cheats on very hard difficulty. but after the 1st time around, it wouldn't be fun unless you can min/max and challenge yourself by imposing restrictions like only do red skull missions or something which gives you a new goal to reach for.

save scumming is not for everyone. not recommended for 1st playthrough so you can enjoy the game as intended. but for replayability... it SHOULD be an option unless CDPR wants to dictate the definition of fun to their customers/fans.

Patch 1.1 has removed save scumming to reroll randomized loot. The mere fact that many players were practicing save scumming just shows how poorly the game was designed in the first place.

• Save Scumming for Mod slots or to reroll gear to increase the rarity revealed the lazy way they implemented loot randomization
  • Save Scumming during crafting reveals the poorly designed randomization of weapon statistics
  • Save scumming (or multiple resting) to reset vendor inventories shows the problem with even having unreliable randomized vendor inventories.

If they think that the randomized nature of loot and crafting provides an element of game balance that anyone thinks is a good thing, then they clearly don't understand the minds of gamers. This leads to two possible reasons:
  1. They did it to save time in development
  2. Someone of some authority has forced them to implement it because they think it is a good idea and no one can change their mind.

This game would be greatly improved if loot randomization was removed. All items should have a fixed rarity and that rarity should have a fixed number of mod slots. Crafted gear should have a fixed stat profile. Another idea would be a method to upgrade gear to raise its rarity and subsequently its number of mod slots so that someone can use whatever item they think makes them look cool. This would mean that players who invest into other skill trees don't have to miss out on iconic weapons late in the game.

People like choice in their characters. They like to choose the items they use and the weapons they wield. They also like to PLAN out their character.
I disagree with you bud it isn't about save scumming it is about the fact that this game players get to choose how they want there characters to look so how is it fair for CDPR to take that away and then a player has to choose whether they want to look cool with less armor (hence the less Mod Slots) or wear something they don't want their character to look like because it just so happened to pop up with four mods slots instead of one mod slot like the previous legendary gear did. Way to fix this is give legendary the max number of mod slots and do the same down the ladder with epic, then rare gear as well. That makes alot more sense that way if a character wants to look a certain way they don't have to downgrade their armor rating just because in that game save the mod slots were different. Just give that some thought bud not saying you are wrong but again it could quickly be solved by development team so each character can have which ever gear cosmetics they desire without having to downgrade mod slots do to randomized gear mod slots spawning
Post automatically merged:

I definitely agree with the set number of mod slots on legendary items epic and rare it just makes sense CDPR fucked it up once why not just fix it so players can have choice without compromise like you said

Last edited:
Solutions I didn't think about before:

• Have your appearance be solely cosmetic and have clothing just be fun collectibles.
  • Armor could be something you improve through cyberware, perks, Attributes, etc.
  • Maybe have something like shield generators or something
  • Create some type of transmogrification system where you can swap appearance of items with that of others you have collected.
  • Create a way to add mod slots to clothing (upgrade any clothing to legendary)

• Create a way to add mod slots to clothing (upgrade any clothing to legendary)

Patch 1.1 has removed save scumming to reroll randomized loot. The mere fact that many players were practicing save scumming just shows how poorly the game was designed in the first place.

• Save Scumming for Mod slots or to reroll gear to increase the rarity revealed the lazy way they implemented loot randomization
  • Save Scumming during crafting reveals the poorly designed randomization of weapon statistics
  • Save scumming (or multiple resting) to reset vendor inventories shows the problem with even having unreliable randomized vendor inventories.

If they think that the randomized nature of loot and crafting provides an element of game balance that anyone thinks is a good thing, then they clearly don't understand the minds of gamers. This leads to two possible reasons:
  1. They did it to save time in development
  2. Someone of some authority has forced them to implement it because they think it is a good idea and no one can change their mind.

This game would be greatly improved if loot randomization was removed. All items should have a fixed rarity and that rarity should have a fixed number of mod slots. Crafted gear should have a fixed stat profile. Another idea would be a method to upgrade gear to raise its rarity and subsequently its number of mod slots so that someone can use whatever item they think makes them look cool. This would mean that players who invest into other skill trees don't have to miss out on iconic weapons late in the game.

People like choice in their characters. They like to choose the items they use and the weapons they wield. They also like to PLAN out their character.

I am sorry... I know i am retarded, but why would they prohibit players from doing that? It's a single player game with no microtransactions. Who gives a crap if the players save scum

I am sorry... I know i am retarded, but why would they prohibit players from doing that? It's a single player game with no microtransactions. Who gives a crap if the players save scum

Lol, i can do better, look.

Hey devs just make enemies drop legendaries every time with max slots. So no need for save scum. People will never be satisfied with 2 slots instead of 3

every single drop from enemies should be only legendary with max slots. no need for Rare or Epic items delete them from game.

Lol, i can do better, look.

Hey devs just make enemies drop legendaries every time with max slots. So no need for save scum. People will never be satisfied with 2 slots instead of 3

every single drop from enemies should be only legendary with max slots. no need for Rare or Epic items delete them from game.

not true. the reason i save scum is not for sockets :) i need my 2 rounds per shot burya and 50% faster lock-on ashura :D

Can't confirm for sure, but it may be more to avoid possible bugs than to prevent players from scumming.

For me, I'm the opposite. I tend not to even loot most stuff in RPGs nowadays. Unless it's particularly valuable or I'm specifically looking for it...I just leave it on the ground.

My point is that the fact that players had to save scum in order to have the gear look they way they want or be as powerful as they want shows poor game design. Games should be fun and loot systems should feel thought out and complete. There has been plenty of suggestions on this thread to improve the original game design that would make the loot system improved. Players shouldn't be staring at load screens because the RNG gods game them the legendary they really wanted with only 1 mods slot.

I'm not against the players choosing to save scum. I am against the poor design that made them feel they had to. Since save scrumming is gone, players are back to getting the legendary they were really looking forward to getting dropped without mod slots.

Top Bottom