Save the date for GWENT Masters Season 3 finale!

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
First day of Masters is over, and the 4 newest players in Gwent esports won over the 4 more experienced players (in the professional scene at least). I guess this will destroy the vast majority of the divination predictions, as most players tend to vote based on experience. :shrug:

I'm loving this Milva. I've been hoping for something that would buff Move decks to a playable state.

Good to see the game dying, nothing more than deserved given how its been developed recently

Ardal Aep Dahy.

Not sure about this one. On paper he is a 7 for 12 and his deploy is very situational. First you need to prepare in the deck builder (at least 5 tactic cards, maybe best even 10).
Due to the fact that your opponent can play the non-Doomed unit again one has to think about carefully which cards make sense. Strong deployers are obviously not the best target. Probably order cards with not used order and engine cards can be a consideration. Best targets are probably units with no profit and a high tribute cost as your opponent probably cannot afford to replay that card. Also thrive cards which just met the threshold might a consideration. A further maybe validate option is using purify on tokens and targetting highly boosted units

Synergies: Draw with snowdrop, tactic cards, yennefer´s inovocation,

Evaluation: 5 out of 10. Interesting ability but overpriced from my perspective.

King Bran

In total we have 7 veteran cards (https://gwent.one/en/cards/?v=9.5.0&q=veteran). If played in round 3 he is a 15 for 11 (8 veteran boosted power, 7 veteran boosts) + excessive damage. Also he has a nice synergy with Skjordal (also + 1 damage).

Downsides of him that in a veteran focused deck you probably have a lack of playable cards in round 1 and 2. A further point one should keep in my mind is the lack of excess damage spenders at SK. Currently we only have Blaze of Glory (+ Jutta), Skjordal and Hjalmar which really serve this purpose. Cards like Arnaghad, Crach an Craite and Madman Lugos might also be options for dealing excess damage but they need a lot of preparation. Also Stunning blow and to a lesser extent Gutting Splash can be a tool with limited damage potential. Maybe breaking devotion in order to include some strong neutral damage dealer like Bekkers Rockslide are an option.
A further drawback is that excess damage is opposing to the bloodthirst mechanic. As you spend damagers not to trigger bloodthirst but to remove units and deal excess damage. This might cause that King Bran is not synergizing nicely with the veteran Eist.

Synergies: Warriors, Veterans, excess damage dealing cards.

Evaluation: 7 out of 10. Not sure how well he will synergize within SK but definitely a strong Veteran support.

Milva Sharpshooter

She is a huge buff for Guerilla Tactics and might make this leader as a leader of choice for non-unit decks.

Downsides: If Ihuarraquax is targetting her and you have some damage either in your cards or in your leader the whole strategy is over.

Synergies: Non unit package (Saber-Tooth Tiger, specials, Making a bomb, maybe even Madoc), opponent movers like Ciaran aep Easnillen, Malena, cat witcher saboteur, Trained Hawk and Vrihedd Dragoon).

Evaluation: I would give her a 10 out of 10. Will probably get a provision nerf.

King Henselt

He is both a tutor and an engine. His main target might be Raffard’s Venegance. Can imagine him nicely in a Siege deck. For his passive engine ability stockpile might be the leader of choice. Especially combined with Reinforced Balista and other cooldown cards he can get huge value.

Downsides: His passive ability has limited value in short rounds (as for all engine cards)

Synergies: Cooldown cards and crew cards.

Evaluation: I would give him a 9 out 10. He can be the card Stockpile needs to get competitive.

Archas Queen

Not sure about this one. If you manage to consume an insectoide (only Ruehin and Endrega Eggs do have deathwish ability). You get 4 (+1 if Archas Swarm leader) drones. Targetting Ruehin even means an extra potential +4 engine each turn. Other valuable targets of her are all strong deathwishers amd tall units.

Downsides: Currently I can not imagine a well-working insectoide death wish deck. Maybe combined with Ruehin and many consumers one can appreciate the drones simply as +4 without any swarm/insectoide benefiters.

Synergies: Insectoides, deathwish units, consumers, tall units

Evaluation: I would give her a 7 out of 10. I am very curious to see her play.

King_of_Beggars.png

Tribute might finally be worth building around. King of Beggars might be pushing it a bit with regaining all Coins though.
I must say that I like these Legendaries centered around specifically buffing mechanics that have fallen from grace/were never good.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I like the direction of increasing the complexity on new cards, but with these reveals i think its the first time where maybe they're getting too complex, most of these cards i had to read 3 or 4 times and sometimes even that wasnt enough to really understand them.

This also makes judging them a bit harder, but the trend is for new cards to always be super strong and bring powercreep, for example the 12 cards released back in March completely shifted the meta.

This also makes judging them a bit harder, but the trend is for new cards to always be super strong and bring powercreep, for example the 12 cards released back in March completely shifted the meta.

Did someone say Powercreep? I just saw the new SY card they revealed. A card that let's you play Savolla's Frightener or Salamander for free with 4 points of thinner is insanely powerful. Get ready for the return of the Jackpot poison deck...

DRK3

Forum veteran
Did someone say Powercreep? I just saw the new SY card they revealed. A card that let's you play Savolla's Frightener or Salamander for free with 4 points of thinner is insanely powerful. Get ready for the return of the Jackpot poison deck...
Perfect example - i hadnt understand how King of Beggars worked, but reading your comment made me re-read KoB again and again and i think i finally got it.

I was thinking you had to play 9 tributes in a game for it to come out, but you just need to play a single tribute 9 (or multiple tributes that add to 9 or more), and it makes those tributes free? Actually it makes all tributes free? WTF were they thinking?

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
I was thinking you had to play 9 tributes in a game for it to come out, but you just need to play a single tribute 9 (or multiple tributes that add to 9 or more), and it makes those tributes free? Actually it makes all tributes free? WTF were they thinking?
Took a few reads but my current understanding is it makes tributes free only while in Deck, so up to 9 coins of "free" tribute.

so its value is 4 base power + 9 coins + thinning + being a spender for 10 provisions.

Tribute decks do need more support but not sure if this is too overtuned.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Took a few reads but my current understanding is it makes tributes free only while in Deck, so up to 9 coins of "free" tribute.

so its value is 4 base power + 9 coins + thinning + being a spender for 10 provisions.

Tribute decks do need more support but not sure if this is too overtuned.
Yeah, i was missing the fact that it does not go back to deck after it goes to graveyard, so at least its not as strong as i was thinking, but still damn powerful.

The best way to maximize him is probably to play the cheaper tributes first, then when its about to come out (counter near 0), use the most expensive tribute (Savolla, Salamandra or Tinboy) and still get that one free.

(Also, im thinking if decoy on KoB to put him back on deck works... its counter probably doesnt reset but it may be able to re-use his ability one more time :think:

[...]
The best way to maximize him is probably to play the cheaper tributes first, then when its about to come out (counter near 0), use the most expensive tribute (Savolla, Salamandra or Tinboy) and still get that one free.

(Also, im thinking if decoy on KoB to put him back on deck works... its counter probably doesnt reset but it may be able to re-use his ability one more time :think:
That is not possible though.
King of Beggars only hands back Coins for reducing his Counter, so there is no way to exploit him for more than 9 Coins.
If King of Beggars has 3 Counters left and you pay 8 Coins for a Tribute his Counter will move 3->0, he jumps out of the deck and you gain 3 Coins back, so you still overall only get 3 Coins back.
Decoying him back in deck should also not reset the Counter, given that it is still the same card (also since the Counter does not move towards 0 KoB could only jump out again due to a bug).
For resetting him one would need Mandrake.

I think decoy will cause one of those two. Either it will reset the counter (doubtful or bug), OR it will immediately summon itself again, with Decoy acting like a top card tutor. No necessarily very useful in SY, but...

Radovid is nuts with Uprising, restoring the final charge up to 2 times and thus allowing to spawn up to 2 more Scythemen.
Saskia: Commander is finally a good reason to play Harmony again.

Regis.png

Jan_Calveit.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom