save the orphans or (and (spoilers))....

+
save the orphans or (and (spoilers))....

oh dear...

this is such a hard choice... if i freed the spirit, the orphans will be saved as promised but i know the Baron and his family will be torn apart.

killed the spirits and the Baron can has his 'happier' ending but the orphans are likely dead n eaten...

this is bad bad bad....

I freed the spirit and have no regrets, but without spoiling anything killing it seems to be a better choice overall and most people would call that a "good" choice.

No, but there are some other(not that good) consequences you will see if you free the spirit besides Baron's fate.

You do see the orphans at a school later, but they make no indication of recognizing Geralt. Either their memories were tampered with or the devs just never fully followed up on it.

I gotta say I free the tree. Way I play it is I figure that Geralt doesn't know that the spirit will destroy the village nor that Anna and the Baron will end up dead. The only thing he can be sure of is that the children do go missing and that the Crones do most probably eat children.

If I were choosing based on my knowledge of what does happen then I'd kill the tree. But again that ain't how I roll so free the tree goes.

so i reload and save the baron and his wife and the village is saved.

but what happened to the merchant?

anyway, when i went back to the village via fast travel (before talking to the elder), they all like dead too. who killed them?

You do see the orphans at a school later, but they make no indication of recognizing Geralt. Either their memories were tampered with or the devs just never fully followed up on it.

They are different children:huh:

Children in this game have the same appearance.

so i reload and save the baron and his wife and the village is saved.

but what happened to the merchant?

anyway, when i went back to the village via fast travel (before talking to the elder), they all like dead too. who killed them?

Its the tree spirit:cheers: Personally i believe the tree spirit ate the children. Like most spirits and wraith in the game.

If you read some books in the game. You will know the tree spirit you just release is the mother or the creator of the crones. This spirit got corrupted that's why crones killed there creator. Sadly even Crones got corrupted eventually but not so crazy as the spirit due they still care for there village. Sadly they make people somewhat like a livestock cattle.

Also i think you will find that book in early game where your looking for your nilfgardian spy who had been tortured by the wild hunt. The book is color green w/ tattered covered.

Suggestion never trust any wraith and spirit in the game. If you choose the crones you just choose the lesser evil.

Its the tree spirit:cheers: Personally i believe the tree spirit ate the children. Like most spirits and wraith in the game.

If you read some books in the game. You will know the tree spirit you just release is the mother or the creator of the crones. This spirit got corrupted that's why crones killed there creator. Sadly even Crones got corrupted eventually but not so crazy as the spirit due they still care for there village. Sadly they make people somewhat like a livestock cattle.

Also i think you will find that book in early game where your looking for your nilfgardian spy who had been tortured by the wild hunt. The book is color green w/ tattered covered.

Suggestion never trust any wraith and spirit in the game. If you choose the crones you just choose the lesser evil.

but i killed the tree spirit. so who killed the merchant in the village?

I destroyed the spirit. After I did it I realized the mistake but oh well. On the bright side the baron and his family seemed okay. I basically didn't trust the tree.

It really is strange. A real low life drunk women beater ended up okay and the innocent kids get eaten. Such is life.

There was a lore book in the game called "She Who Knows" that explains the origin of the spirit under the tree as well as the crones. The reason she was originally killed was because she went mad over the years which started spreading across the land, causing mayhem and bloodshed. After death, her spirit refused to leave and was trapped under the Whispering Hillock "... where it thrashed about in powerless rage.".

Pretty clear it wouldn't be a good idea to let it loose.

Killed the tree spirit before I even met the crones. It just didn't feel right to trust it. Johnny was honestly the only character I liked in Crookback Bog plus the consequences of letting it go were worse so I thought it was for the best.

Guest 3827261

I don't think those are the same orphans, as each parties, Geralt and the children, don't seem to know each other. They just have the same skins. Some npc's faces look the same despite being different people.

Killing it is the right choice. You can hear the spirit acting a bit weird, and it looks really evil. The 3 ladies are evil too, but they probably want to be the only bullies on the block.
Anyway, Geralt is a Witcher, and he kills monsters. He's very suspicious of all these lies from monsters.
Remember thought, if you let it loose you not only lose Baron's family. Baron's replacement is quite a douche. You can see his men stealing from the civilians and even get to protect them once. They're worse than Baron.
And Baron was an alcoholic. You probably don't see him as a good guy, but I do. I've had alcoholics in my family and you have to understand that you have to help them. Besides, he drank because his wife was cheating on him for years. How would you react? I'd react worse than he did.

Anyway, think of it this way - let the spirit die. It's been trapped in this world, and it has to be able to go to the afterlife already. You can help it or you can let it stay for no reason. You know that spirits are rarely good. Its powers were too mysterious to believe it.

Some people have both freed the spirit and had the Baron and Anna live, but it has to be a glitch because I have done exactly what they have claimed to have done to the letter and it does not happen with my game.

video proof of their claim:
[video]http://1drv.ms/1QeA0rT[/video]

---------- Updated at 04:45 AM ----------

And the spirit is without a doubt evil and lying. It claims to be a druidess, but it's bones are not human. The book She Who Knows claims it created the Crones and then went mad, and the Crones killed their mother to save the land. I think they are all evil and the Crones killed their evil Mother for selfish reasons, not to save anything but to grow their own power. The book states that they were created from water and mud. See, I think they get their power from swamps and their mother from forests. So they want to grow the swamps by cutting down the forests, like they commanded the villagers to do.

Last edited:
Killing it is the right choice.
I think right or wrong in this case depends on your pov.

I didn't care a bit about the drunken, coward woman beater or his cheating, stupid wife. They both had it coming.
Didn't care either about those villagers and their Ladies cult, giving up innocent children to be eaten for who knows how many years.
The kids? they deserved to be saved imho.

Besides, he drank because his wife was cheating on him for years. How would you react? I'd react worse than he did.
How about going separate ways?

I gotta say I free the tree. Way I play it is I figure that Geralt doesn't know that the spirit will destroy the village nor that Anna and the Baron will end up dead. The only thing he can be sure of is that the children do go missing and that the Crones do most probably eat children.

If I were choosing based on my knowledge of what does happen then I'd kill the tree. But again that ain't how I roll so free the tree goes.

I actually killed it because of the book "She who knows". It states the crones turned on their mother, the Lady of the wood, which was even worse than them while ruling Velen, but couldn`t destroy her, so they trapped her soul beneath the Whispering Hillock. Since the spirit could be the Lady of the wood, It`s a good motive right there to kill the spirit and you get a less grim fate for the Baron, his wife and the village. Problem is, I can`t know for sure if that`s true or not hahaha

Later on, Yen says the Crones took Velen by driving out a circle of Druids that used to be there and the spirit does mention something about being in the circle, so who knows? (badumtss)

Top Bottom