Saw Blade Runner first time since childhood

+
Seven Samurai..is STILL very good. Mostly the selection of the Ronin. And of course Mifune's desperate, crazed wanna-be samurai.

There is a reason it's the classic.

I think I never fully understood Blade Runner until I saw this theory video. I think it fits perfectly, I had read a lot about what Deckard is or isn't, a lot about reflective membranes of eyes... and about that unicorn which... isn't really that self explainatory. Mostly because I saw Gaff make one with origami and that brought a lot of conflict in my case. Maybe the video will help someone else.
http://blip.tv/renegadecut/51-blade-runner-and-the-memories-of-gaff-6717895

cool

Lolssi83, before I pass judgment on your taste in cinema... *subtle sound of hammer cocking*

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. What do you think of it?
Only seen parts of it from other movies and when my mom watched it. So can't really say I'm afraid. But I've seen Turtles 3 where they go to ancient Japan... does that count? :D
Mostly films I've seen are from 80's or newer. So haven't seen Casablanca either :)

Only seen parts of it from other movies and when my mom watched it. So can't really say I'm afraid.
Hm. For now, you get a pass. (For now.)

I cited Seven Samurai specifically, as the story is slow to build. (As the movie is over three hours long!)

Seems most people who aren't taken with Blade Runner are put off by the pace of the film. I see that grievance come up more often than anything else.

My wife is bored by Blade Runner. Once I've finished milking her for all she's worth, I'm going to divorce her on those grounds alone. I already found three judges who have pre-approved.

I believe the concept behind Blade Runner was an excellent one. Ridley Scott in a lot of his movies back then had the idea that big corporations would rule the world. Years ago that idea was more than likely scoffed at, but look at where we are now with companies tracking phone data, search history, governments trying to take over Tor, etc...

The movie seemed to be heavily inhibited by the drugs that were no doubt being taken back then. The actual editing and final release seemed broken, confused, and shallow.

With all that said I love the movie. Love the idea of genetic cloning, androids, etc. I hope Cyperpunk 2077 will be what that movie should have been...

Maybe it's a generational thing about movies? I though Blade Runner was captivating and amazingly atmospheric, loved the music behind it all as well. To me it is a fantastic movie. Seven Samurai... omg that was so epic, i remember sitting on the edge of my seat for all the 4 or so hours it was running. That is freaking good cinema right there.

I believe the concept behind Blade Runner was an excellent one. Ridley Scott in a lot of his movies back then had the idea that big corporations would rule the world. Years ago that idea was more than likely scoffed at, but look at where we are now with companies tracking phone data, search history, governments trying to take over Tor, etc...

The movie seemed to be heavily inhibited by the drugs that were no doubt being taken back then. The actual editing and final release seemed broken, confused, and shallow.

With all that said I love the movie. Love the idea of genetic cloning, androids, etc. I hope Cyperpunk 2077 will be what that movie should have been...
Heard the american ending or something was hilariously good, something about special replicants and living on the moon.

Maybe it's a generational thing about movies? I though Blade Runner was captivating and amazingly atmospheric, loved the music behind it all as well. To me it is a fantastic movie. Seven Samurai... omg that was so epic, i remember sitting on the edge of my seat for all the 4 or so hours it was running. That is freaking good cinema right there.

Seven Samurai was/is a really good movie

There is a disconnect inside me... I don't love bladerunner for the story, or even the characters. I love Bladerunner for the setting, the world it transports me to. It hits me on a deep primitive level... It was the first future I ever saw in a film that I could actually believe in, not because I wanted to, but because it felt so real, so familiar, yet so different. Before Bladeruner, popular science fiction in films was something that might as well have been pure fantasy. At the age of 10, bladerunner felt.... not just real, but horrifyingly inevitable.

Of course I can love a film, no matter how awful, if it has something I can connect to like that, no matter how minor.

It's not a generations thing, although having 80's style slathered all over it doesn't really help. Compare it to Alien or Gladiator, much more tightly crafted and timeless movies. Ridley has always been hit or miss.

Top Bottom