Saw Blade Runner first time since childhood

+
Saw Blade Runner first time since childhood

Ok feel free to tell me how wrong I am after this :)
I recently watched Blade Runner first time since I was kid. I remembered the movie being rather dull, but since I've seen hundreds (maybe thousands) of movies since then I thought I could appreciate it more and see what the hype is all about :)

Well...it was still rather dull.
The music was great and some scenes were visually beautiful (horrible lens flares though).
I think the acting was ok. The cyrorgs/androids/robots what ever they were never really felt like one but I quess that was the point?

I think biggest problems were with the script or that the movie is old as duck (about my age).
The relationship between Deckard and Rachael felt just emberassing to me. Then again maybe that is just the cyberpunk, you get what you can right?

It wasn't bad movie, but it just couldn't hold my interest really. Heck I had better time with Westworld and that movie is really dated.

So what are your opinions about the movie and why it is so great?

Forum veteran
I think biggest problems were with the script or that the movie is old as duck (about my age).
The average life expectancy of a duck is around 10 years, so the movie is actually as old as a three-generation duck bloodline. Obviously you didn't mean it like that, but now you've learned something, too.

I thought Blade Runner was pretty good, actually. It was slow, but it had that noir-ish feel to it that I like. Wouldn't really consider it a masterpiece, but it makes for a great stylistic influence.

The relationship between Deckard and Rachael felt just emberassing to me.

I understand how one could feel that way but I guess that's just how things play out if you have an emotional loner type hired gun/investigator and a confused android who just finds/found out it isnt human. Clumsy relationsship but therefore somewhat convincing (at least that's how I remember it)

The average life expectancy of a duck is around 10 years, so the movie is actually as old as a three-generation duck bloodline. Obviously you didn't mean it like that, but now you've learned something, too.

I thought Blade Runner was pretty good, actually. It was slow, but it had that noir-ish feel to it that I like. Wouldn't really consider it a masterpiece, but it makes for a great stylistic influence.

Imagine that. Replicants have a lower life expectancy than a duck.

Congratulations friend, unlike your previous child self, you are now grown up (I hope) with more thinking capabilities (I guess)

Oh wait, you found if dull since the beginning? You clever, You.

That aside, in my personal view it was a very good film, but nothing sort of great it's usually made out to be.

Lolssi83, before I pass judgment on your taste in cinema... *subtle sound of hammer cocking*

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. What do you think of it?

I think I never fully understood Blade Runner until I saw this theory video. I think it fits perfectly, I had read a lot about what Deckard is or isn't, a lot about reflective membranes of eyes... and about that unicorn which... isn't really that self explainatory. Mostly because I saw Gaff make one with origami and that brought a lot of conflict in my case. Maybe the video will help someone else.
http://blip.tv/renegadecut/51-blade-runner-and-the-memories-of-gaff-6717895

It's a good movie, more style than substance honestly. The fact that it's a bit dated doesn't help it either. They've got some interesting ideas going on in terms of thought provoking themes but they're never really explored so it's ultimately unsatisfying in that regard. The atmosphere was a mixed bag for me, personally. The final scenes were spot on although some of the acting was a bit over the top. I guess it is an 80s movie though... Didn't really get the right vibe from the streets and architecture, felt a bit off, although I don't claim to be too familiar with the theme. Harrison Ford didn't really fit in there either, I don't know if they wanted a character the crowd can relate to or if they just picked him because he was famous at the time, most likely a bit of both. Overall, it was enjoyable to watch but it's probably not my niche.

Last edited:
I wish i could post the yesterday's wonderland episode about cyberpunk and dark sci fi in general. It's online but italian dubbed, with an interview with the replicant leader guy

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. What do you think of it?

Hot damn, probably one of the greatest films ever made. And timeless at that. It's 60 years old this year and still brilliant. There was a pretty decent Steampunk anime based on it, SAMURAI 7.

I love Blade Runner. I still think it is a great film, mainly because of how thought provoking it is, as well as its futuristic retro vibe.

Hot damn, probably one of the greatest films ever made. And timeless at that. It's 60 years old this year and still brilliant. There was a pretty decent Steampunk anime based on it, SAMURAI 7.

I love Blade Runner. I still think it is a great film, mainly because of how thought provoking it is, as well as its futuristic retro vibe.

Too long a movie but great for sure, just decent anime... in my opinion. In any case my favorite character in both is Kikuchiyo!

Top Bottom