Scabbard Location Settings?

+
Hi guys. I'm pretty new to modding in tw3 and am trying to create a replacement mod, replacing the meshes and textures of a scabbard in the game with assets from a mod.
For my first experiment, I'm trying to replace the gryphon silver scabbard with a wooden katana scabbard from a mod.
The katana from the mod is a steel sword. Problem is, even though I'm pretty sure I did everything right, after I replace the gryphon silver scabbard with the katana one, the new one appears in the steel sword position, like this:

1.png

(only the gryphon silver sword is equipped in the photo, no steel sword)
The scabbard even animates correctly when sheathing/unsheathing the sword, but is located on the wrong side.

What I did to replace the scabbard was inspired by this tutorial:

1. I uncooked the vanilla game files
2. exported the w2mesh file of the gryphon silver scabbard to an fbx and an xml files (with the correct directories above and all)
3. instead of editing the gryphon scabbard with blender myself, I just replaced the fbx with the fbx from the mod (gave the mod fbx the name "witcher_silver_gryphon_scabbard_01.fbx" and put it in the modded folder instead of the original fbx), and did the same with the xml
4. I pasted the tga files from the mod inside the modded directory, and edited the paths in the xml files so they will lead to the textures correctly, as seen here:

2.PNG

(bigger more readable version: https://imgbox.com/1TPFKgFg )

5. cooked the mod and put it in the mod folder

And the results are as you see in the first pic.

To make a long story short - I'm wondering where and how it is decided if a scabbard is in the steel location or the silver location. I don't see anything to that extent in the xml.
Is it decided in the fbx? How? Can I edit it to fix this problem?
Is it somewhere else? cause all I changed from the original scabbard, which is located correctly, were the xml and fbx files.

I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks and good modding to you all :)

Last edited:
Offtopic question. What armor is that from the first picture.

vagabond armor (link)
might be the best looking custom one out there

I'm not getting an on-topic answer anywhere and I've tried everything, this is so frustrating o_O

Last edited:
Check out this mod;

player.w2ent contains the sword/scabbard positions.

thank you
I'll try to look into that tonight

but the thing is, there are a lot of weapon mods out there with new silver swords
and none of them edit player.w2ent
so, like, what are they doing to determine that a new sword is in the silver position? that's what I'm missing
I don't want to change the positioning for all swords, just make a new scabbard that's for silver not steel

I dont know the answer but I see in Marvel Master's video when he adds his sword he carefully lines it up with the original sword's mesh so that it will be positioned correctly in-game. If I was you I'd try doing a similar thing with the scabbard you're adding and the scabbard you're replacing, ie to get your replacement scabbard in the correct position in-game you may need to edit its mesh into the correct orientation.

Top Bottom