Scenario's, heatwave, echo cards and devotion should be top priority next patch

+

Guest 4375874

Am just a beginner (MO) so may not have my facts right, apologies if so.
Re Heatwave and 'It's very frustrating to see this card in every single match at higher ranks/pro rank. '
Looking at a couple of meta websites, the top 2/3 decks do not play a scenario or Heatwave, for whatever reason, so it's possible to create the best version of a faction deck without them.
If the best deck from each faction was running them, then that would suggest scenario should be reined in, and each faction should rely more on their best mechanics, rather than a general one.

Even at my rank it's frustrating coming across Haunt and Heatwave, say.
If you can't remove the scenario you may have a chance of removing a spawned card later, but that probably still leaves 10+ points on the board.
Sounds like a scenario should have a lower total output and provisions to match. i.e. to make it less of a points swing.
The best factions at the moment do not need Heatwave because they are overtuned. Heatwave would break devotion for both SK and NR meta decks, both of which currently dominate. They don't use scenarios because they don't need to, so this comment is ignoring some significant factors. I don't think scenarios should even be a thing frankly but some have to rely on them while others don't which only highlights the glaring issues with the game.

'They don't use scenarios because they don't need to '

Yes, that's what I was thinking.
The top decks don't want to/need to/can't, and the rest need to use them to keep up?
So it's not a problem with scenarios (now they exist) per se, it's a problem with the power of the top decks, creating the need to catch up/level things.

Guest 4375874

'They don't use scenarios because they don't need to '

Yes, that's what I was thinking.
The top decks don't want to/need to/can't, and the rest need to use them to keep up?
So it's not a problem with scenarios (now they exist) per se, it's a problem with the power of the top decks, creating the need to catch up/level things.
It's still an issue. If you balanced SK and NR, then decks with Scenarios would suddenly shoot to the top. Look at MO now...it's heavily focused around Haunt, because there's now only one way to remove them. It's not that the faction got any better cards, its mostly the same old MO cards from two expansions ago but now that there's only one answer to the scenario they can compete with it. It's too binary to ignore

Have to say I dont find scenarios a problem. Echo cards on the other hand are a different matter. Balancing them based on provisions has proven difficult when their abilities are so disparate.

Scenarios were a real problem, but power creep is slowly resolving that — it is becoming increasingly possible to counter the cards by simply out-performing them (an essential element to balance and variety).

Echo is inherently a bad mechanism. If the cards provide below average value per play, you don’t want them. If the provide above average value, they are imbalanced. And if they provide balanced return per play, they won’t after the next expansion.

ya1

Forum regular
Scenarios are in every deck that happens to make another use of the tags they require. They are insane value. The only thing that changed is that they used to be no1 insane, and now they are no2 insane after the new high-prov units with passive effects.

Top Bottom