Schrodinger's Characters - We need to put a stop to these

+
It's a game based on the books, not a faithful representation of the books.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean everything is under our power. It's kind of welcome Geralt isn't just a representation of our views. We can influence him but not 100%.

They can do whatever they want.

Yes they surely can. But isn't that a major problem then? Won't we hear it even more that your choices don't matter? How would people react if you killed Letho but he appears no matter what? So far to date that is the only except to the rule.

But in the case of Adda you have two games where she is dead. TW1 by your hand and in TW2 Foltest confirms that she's dead. So to keep her alive they would have to break a death from both previous games and not just the first one.

Finally, this is why there won't be a TW4 with Geralt. The situation is just too messed up.

Yes they surely can. But isn't that a major problem then? Won't we hear it even more that your choices don't matter? How would people react if you killed Letho but he appears no matter what? So far to date that is the only except to the rule.

But in the case of Adda you have two games where she is dead. TW1 by your hand and in TW2 Foltest confirms that she's dead. So to keep her alive they would have to break a death from both previous games and not just the first one.

Finally, this is why there won't be a TW4 with Geralt. The situation is just too messed up.

Money talks and I'm hoping it will here.

$$$

I find it pretty weird that the biggest choice in TW2 is completely insignificant in TW3. I wouldn't expect smaller choices to matter, but TW3 should have done a better job with Anais and Saskia. You give up a lot to help them and its basically entirely irrelevant.

I'm not worried about TW4, Geralt's story is done, thankfully. TW4 won't even be happening until 2020, so for now, I'm more interested in seeing if CDPR can fix up some of their missing characters and unresolved story arcs in TW3.

I find it pretty weird that the biggest choice in TW2 is completely insignificant in TW3. I wouldn't expect smaller choices to matter, but TW3 should have done a better job with Anais and Saskia. You give up a lot to help them and its basically entirely irrelevant.

I'm not worried about TW4, Geralt's story is done, thankfully. TW4 won't even be happening until 2020, so for now, I'm more interested in seeing if CDPR can fix up some of their missing characters and unresolved story arcs in TW3.

Well, a big thing which disappointed a lot of fans about the Dragon Age Keep is a lot of the choices they EXPECTED to matter weren't incorporated into the final game.

But they could be incorporated into FUTURE games.

Considering all the gripes that Mass Effect, Dragon Age and now Witcher series received from players I doubt if companies will go for the "import save impacts world" stuff going forward. Why should they? Much easier just doing something like the Elder Scrolls did.

Considering all the gripes that Mass Effect, Dragon Age and now Witcher series received from players I doubt if companies will go for the "import save impacts world" stuff going forward. Why should they? Much easier just doing something like the Elder Scrolls did.

It's very popular, actually.

It's just an enormous pain in the ass.

People LOVE seeing their decisions carry over but then you get 90% of people choosing to do X, only for the need to devote 50% to option Y.

CDPR received and still receives a lot of flak over how bloody badly they mangled it while Bioware got a LOT of praise for the way they handled imports in Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Sure people complained about how certain choices where handled badly, but EVERYONE agrees that Tuchanka and Rannoch where made vastly better then they were by imports, same with the Grey Wardens in Inquisition.

The problem with every game CDPR made is that they are set directly after the other. The argument that our choices shouldn't matter is a complete load of shit in that situation.

People LOVE seeing their decisions carry over but then you get 90% of people choosing to do X, only for the need to devote 50% to option Y.

People tend to exaggerate over how costly these things are. Look at how Bioware handled it: Dialogue mentions, character X replacing character Z for this or that mission, getting extra squadmates in Mass Effect depending on your choices.

This is NOT that expensive and it's well worth the effort. Sales go up for this, it generates good press and people remember it and think highly of the company.

The problem of the imports from TW2 to TW3 is that EVERY BLOODY MAJOR DECISION WE MADE IN TW2 WAS TO SET UP WITCHER 3 and they ALL MEANT FUCK ALL besides Letho.

Last edited:
The problem of the imports from TW2 to TW3 is that EVERY BLOODY MAJOR DECISION WE MADE IN TW2 WAS TO SET UP WITCHER 3 and they ALL MEANT FUCK ALL besides Letho.

I utterly disagree with that. No matter what you do in w2, Temeria is still in shambles and Nilfgaard still invades. That`s bigger than anything else we can do in the game. The only thing developers forced on the story, which could change anything in the political scenario of the invaded north, is Henselt`s death.

I never played mass effect, but I feel save imports in dragon age were only good for cameos here and there. Sure, they put a good effort in developing alternate storylines given our previous choices, but it only affects how the narrative goes, not where it goes, which is kinda frustrating. If I`m to be fair, I think following the path of changing completely how the game develops depeding on choices is ambitious beyond the scale of actual possibilities, After 2 games, you get way too many branching possibilities to deal with. Problem is BioWare sold that idea to us quite well and didn`t deliver hahaha

In this regard, I like how they did w2. Leaving flotsam with Roche or Iorveth makes for completely different games given we get so different perspectives of the world and they still managed to make both roads head to the same place masterfully.

Temeria is still in shambles and Nilfgaard still invades. That`s bigger than anything else we can do in the game. The only thing developers forced on the story, which could change anything in the political scenario of the invaded north, is Henselt`s death.

Very damned wrong. You mentioned Henselt. I'll mentioned several things myself.

Stennis: With him dead Aedirn is destabilized or if he's alive it becomes more stable.

Saskia: A powerful dragon leading a nonhuman rebelion. The rebelion can succeed or fail and Saskia can remain controlled, be set free or be killed.

The Conclave: A high ranking Nilfgaardian ambassador is either killed or survives and the mages as a whole are blamed for the regicides and thus a witch hunt begins OR The Conclave is reformed and only the Lodge is blamed.

Anais+Adda: Radovid either is married to Foltest's eldest daughter or he isn't. He also may have a better claimant in the form of Anais or Roche has her. The entire dynamic between Radovid and Roche changes in TW2 depending on the choice and if you gave Anais to Radovid certain Temerians view Roche as a traitor.

it only affects how the narrative goes, not where it goes, which is kinda frustrating.

Of course that's annoying but it's a certainly a hell lot better then nothing occurring and every choice being rendered meaningless. Besides Nilfgaard was always going to have success, that DOES NOT JUSTIFY EVERYTHING WE DID BEING THROW IN THE GARBAGE because the impact of those decisions sure as hell wasn't meaningless.

Stennis: With him dead Aedirn is destabilized or if he's alive it becomes more stable.

Saskia: A powerful dragon leading a nonhuman rebelion. The rebelion can succeed or fail and Saskia can remain controlled, be set free or be killed.

The Conclave: A high ranking Nilfgaardian ambassador is either killed or survives and the mages as a whole are blamed for the regicides and thus a witch hunt begins OR The Conclave is reformed and only the Lodge is blamed.

Anais+Adda: Radovid either is married to Foltest's eldest daughter or he isn't. He also may have a better claimant in the form of Anais or Roche has her. The entire dynamic between Radovid and Roche changes in TW2 depending on the choice and if you gave Anais to Radovid certain Temerians view Roche as a traitor.

Of course that's annoying but it's a certainly a hell lot better then nothing occurring and every choice being rendered meaningless. Besides Nilfgaard was always going to have success, that DOES NOT JUSTIFY EVERYTHING WE DID BEING THROW IN THE GARBAGE because the impact of those decisions sure as hell wasn't meaningless.

I`m not wrong. Temeria is in shambles and is invaded, no matter who has a claim on it. By the time of events in Loc Muinne, Nilfgaardians are already all over the borders. Lethos says so himself. No child heir or king forcing his claim could change that. Aedirn is also completely unstable, regardless of choice. Stennis alive, he loses support from Saskia after she`s mindcontrolled and everything that comes with her, no matter if you set her free or not, since she just quits and go look for her father. Stennis dead, Aedirn is in chaos.

The conclave is controversial, but I think a witch hunt is totally justified, regardless of success or not. Radovid patronizes the order of the flaming rose with no good intentions since the start regarding mages

Stennis is nothing if you sided w/ Ioverth path due he lost his popularity support w/ the masses due he didn't help Saskia and he his not that so popular at all due to his father. Even the noble that could support him could easily betrayed him. At the start of peace conference between Henselt and Saskia, nobles willing to sell there lands w/ Henselt. Also this is the reason Stennis supported Saskia. If you sided w/ Roche he died.

Saskia been injured by Geralt of Rivia. Even Saskia leads Vergen, there still on shambles during the siege of Kaedweni. Kaedweni army are veterans if you sided w/ Roche. Also they still need to repair there fortification. Most of the army of Saskia are peasants, dwarfs (some of them are merchants) and nobles that could easily betrayed Saskia. Saskia only hope are the Scoia'tael but still are fewer number due they are splinter group and the siege of Vergen.

If the Kaedweni win Vergen, there army needs to recuperate. Also Henselt gone paranoid w/ his army due to conspiracy.He killed some of his men. Doing that he could killed some of the veterans in his army and popularity w/ his army have gone.

The remaining plot hole in TW3 will be. How the hell John Natalis isn't leading the Temeria Guerilla force? Why the hell Roche is leading the remnants of the Temeria army? If you sided w/ Roche his unit been decimated by King Henselt. Also where is Anais if you save her and Adda? Also w/ the conclave?

I feel the need to stand-up for the deelopers here as a writer (Rules of Supervillainy out now!-shameless plug). The thing is that the second game was very clearly setting up a number of plots for future use by developers and the story to go a specific way. The game was setting up for the 3rd Nilfgaard War and the North getting steamrolled by this.

That's the thing, though.

The developers for Wild Hunt didn't want to do this.

They had their very own specific idea of doing a storyline of a more personal level focused on Geralt, Yen, Ciri, and (to a far lesser extent) Triss Merrigold. The reason the war feels like an afterthought is because it IS an afterthought. It's irrelevant to any story about the Wild Hunt and the Princess of Cintra/Lady of Time And Space.

Speaking AS a writer, I'd much prefer they focus on the thing they WANTED to do rather than try to shoe-horn in the massive focus the game choices of 2 required.

It's dissonant but the simple fact was that development circumstances changed.

It's dissonant but the simple fact was that development circumstances changed.

But that's the fundamental problem. You can't just suddenly make the politics as if they were written by a 12 year old fanficiton writer when the game is set on the FRONT LINE of the war that started in the last game. You can't just throw away every bit of political nuance and complexity down the fucking drain

They had their very own specific idea of doing a storyline of a more personal level focused on Geralt, Yen, Ciri, and (to a far lesser extent) Triss Merrigold.

With the exception that TW1 handled this far better as well. The story of TW3 is basically the story of TW1, but considerably worse.

Well I don't know if you ever played blood omen legacy of kain, however in the first game you had a choice to sacrifice yourself or not, they still made sequels based on the premise kain was never altruistic. I love the whole game series so I am glad they took liberties with the ending to make the story their way.
Same as this one, i love the whole series, and the story allows them to be flexible and write how they want it.

Well I don't know if you ever played blood omen legacy of kain, however in the first game you had a choice to sacrifice yourself or not, they still made sequels based on the premise kain was never altruistic. I love the whole game series so I am glad they took liberties with the ending to make the story their way.
Same as this one, i love the whole series, and the story allows them to be flexible and write how they want it.

I'd like for them to RESPECT my choices.

Yes.

*BUT* if it means more Witcher, I'll survive.

Top Bottom