Scoia'Tael OP: Specials

+
Ithline still op at 4points, she can draw double first light in the final round which is 40points.
also 2 thunder bolt potion on resilient dwarf means 20 points that remain in the next round so is 40points.

PandaLin;n8707650 said:
Here is my counter. You must win first round no matter. If they bombarding you with weather and spells, just play gold cards. Use your leader. In most case, they won't play Dolbathanna because they still try to buff them. Milk the second round. You want them to play Dolbathanna. Milk the second round as long as possible and then finish him in round 3.

Beside 3 cards....they lost the game if they don't draw them XD. I laughed so hard when I send them to the graveyard with Sweers. Even if the Dolbathhanna is buffed, you can kill the with scorch and ingi very easy.

Igni shouldn't be an option. Scorch could work though.

Pruny;n8850420 said:
Ithline still op at 4points, she can draw double first light in the final round which is 40points.
also 2 thunder bolt potion on resilient dwarf means 20 points that remain in the next round so is 40points.

Two Thunder Bolt potions is situational. It's not always going to happen and same thing with applying to Dwarves. Plenty of other Gold cards are comparably strong and probably more consistent.

Pruny;n8850420 said:

Totally agree on this. Ithlinne can easily get 30+ power, but her worst case is still better than a lot of gold cards. She's the best gold in the game imo

This faction became the braindead faction, for the lack of a batter term. Either spam specials and then protectors or just place cards in a pre-determined order and just let the game play itself.

Snake_Foxhounder;n8919310 said:
This faction became the braindead faction, for the lack of a batter term. Either spam specials and then protectors or just place cards in a pre-determined order and just let the game play itself.

Scoia movement has highly variable plays with lots of depth, and just saying, it kind of eats most scoia'spell decks for its dinner.
it's ImO the most interesting archetype with the machine archetype in the whole game right now. Not a tier 1 deck, but most tier 1 decks have a tendency to be highly repetitive due to high reliability in the way they're built.

This deck reminds me of playing Mortal Kombat as a kid against my friend who would just spam Liu Kang fireballs the whole time. It wasn't technically "cheating" but it made me quit playing games with him.

This deck makes me want to stop playing Gwent. There should absolutely be a limit on the amount of specials a deck can have. I play a Skellige high damage deck and it's pretty much impossible to do anything. I keep reading that I should play another type of deck or build blah blah blah, but it does really well against any other deck I face. If one leader card style deck is completely nullifying another deck or faction then that is the exact definition of unbalanced and OP.

I think it's ridiculous to suggest that I should completely rebuild my deck that I enjoy playing to be competitive against one factions style deck. Especially when the deck I am running is very effective against anyone else I run up against.

Also I get it that you probably win a lot with it, but is it even fun to play? Like I said in the beginning it just seems like the kid that plays "special moves" only in a fighting game. You're not cheating but everyone thinks you're a tool.

Goose_butter Lvl 22 Rank 10

today i was 10points to get past 3400mmr and guess what i encounter: spelafukintells, twice!
i want to break my pc and throw it out the window!

Goosebutter;n8975340 said:
This deck makes me want to stop playing Gwent. There should absolutely be a limit on the amount of specials a deck can have. I play a Skellige high damage deck and it's pretty much impossible to do anything. I keep reading that I should play another type of deck or build blah blah blah, but it does really well against any other deck I face. If one leader card style deck is completely nullifying another deck or faction then that is the exact definition of unbalanced and OP.

Its extremely easy to beat spell tael with SK. You just have to know how to do it. Basically, if you pass forcing your opponent to use 2 cards to catch up, you won the match.

Also I get it that you probably win a lot with it, but is it even fun to play?

I dont always win with it. In fact i have <50% win ratio against SK. And yes, i have a lot of fun playing with it.

I play a Skellige high damage deck
it does really well against any other deck I face
So basically you want to beat everyone? Then you will consider this game to be fun and balanced? That is definitely an interesting point of view. Try building a working movement-based ST deck and play it a couple of hours against totally fine tuned SK if you want some really frustrating experience.

Take deck robbing cards, donar + decoy, Regis Vamp etc. You can turn this deck into an auto forfeit in 3 simple moves, whats more it doubles down the value as the same cards also fist queens guard if played proactively enough.

Honestly, ST Spell decks primarily have success because people play against it wrong. The chances of it taking R1 with DBP is slim to none. It relies on golds to take R1 and DBP or, in certain cases, cards like Borkh to take another round. Knowing this, your units when playing it R1 are really just card plays. Their power is close to irrelevant. Any unit you play vs that deck R1 should be done with one approach. Try to dictate/bait spells they might benefit from significantly R2/R3, and minimize how many of said spells hit more than one unit. Outside of that you should either push R1 hard and use golds to take it, while being mindful of Shackles (on golds in weather/to scorch them) and SK Storm (any cs gets used for this, preferably after they double play it or have 3 weather out), or try to get significant CA. R2 you just bleed them to force out DBP. R3 you pull out your removals/resets for remaining DBP.

All of the above seems to work well unless you get bad R1 draws. Cards like Renew (Schirru to take Scorch for R3, Aglais in R3, or big golds), move units+Gigni/Dbomb, Shackles, and/or Mardroeme can shut down most of the options of that deck for R3.

I have years of Magic (mainly Modern) and Hearthstone experience. Beside a few Tiers 2 decks that never last very long, i've never been able to play Control, my favorite archetype, competitively. It's always, always about who's got the the biggest muscle or the biggest combo.
And FOR ONCE, ONCE that we have one working, definitly "beatable" but working, people are immediately crying to make it disappear.
It literally drives me crazy. Can we, for once, keep the Control archetype alive ?
It's not "OP", there are a lot of ways to win against win, it's just not "easy" and that's kind of the point.

Dr4ne;n9021200 said:
It's not "OP", there are a lot of ways to win against win, it's just not "easy" and that's kind of the point.

The problem with ST Spells and control-heavy deck in Gwent in general is not that it is that hard to win against them, it is that it is boring to play against them.

Crueldwarf;n9025450 said:
The problem with ST Spells and control-heavy deck in Gwent in general is not that it is that hard to win against them, it is that it is boring to play against them.

Agreed. It becomes an issue of waiting/forcing the opponent to play junk cards as much as possible. The easiest way to win a round is to have them go first as they tend to pass immediately if there's nothing to hit.

Top Bottom