Screenshots and File Size

+
File sizes for screenshots captured by the game aren't that large, the PNGs are usually around 2.5 MB to 3.5 MB each at 1920x1080, but when you open up a forum thread (or any page on any web site, not just this one) and there are multiple relatively large images all downloading at the same time it can take a while for a page to finish displaying all of them. Consider converting your PNG images to JPGs as the file sizes can easily be cut in half using with barely any discernable change in the quality of the image or at least nothing you would notice unless you were specifically looking for it.

I have an old version of Adobe Photoshop (CS4) and use the maximum quality settings available to keep the images looking great but there are also many free converters you can download or use online for free. Even Adobe has one. I've never tried any of these but here is the search results for png to jpg converter.

Below is a comparison of a file I just converted from PNG to JPG with the quality at 100%. You can make the JPG file sizes even smaller with some tweaking of whatever settings you have available to you but 1) I wanted to keep this simple and 2) we all want our screenshots to look as best as possible. This is a raw screenshot and no filtering was used nor did I do any touchup; usually I would at least apply a little sharpening.

Original PNG - 3.74 MB
photomode_09022022_220305.png

JPG - 1.74 MB - convertered from the above PNG using Adobe Photoshop CS4 with quality set to 100%
photomode_09022022_220305.jpg

Last edited:
File sizes for screenshots captured by the game aren't that large, the PNGs are usually around 2.5 MB to 3.5 MB each, but when you open up a forum thread (or any page on any web site, not just this one) and there are multiple relatively large images all downloading at the same time it can take a while for a page to finish displaying all of them. Consider converting your PNG images to JPGs as the file sizes can easily be cut in half using with barely any discernable change in the quality of the image or at least nothing you would notice unless you were specifically looking for it.

I have an old version of Adobe Photoshop (CS4) and use the maximum quality settings available to keep the images looking great but there are also many free converters you can download or use online for free. Even Adobe has one. I've never tried any of these but here is the search results for png to jpg converter.

Below is a comparison of a file I just converted from PNG to JPG with the quality at 100%. You can make the JPG file sizes even smaller with some tweaking of whatever settings you have available to you but 1) I wanted to keep this simple and 2) we all want our screenshots to look as best as possible. This is a raw screenshot and no filtering was used nor did I do any touchup; usually I would at least apply a little sharpening.

Original PNG - 3.74 MB
View attachment 11286625

JPG - 1.74 MB - convertered from the above PNG using Adobe Photoshop CS4 with quality set to 100%
View attachment 11286628
It's a good tip, but it's convenient to just upload and done. People are lazy, and the forums allows PNG. If this has to be a thing, the forums must be reprogrammed to convert them automatically without any human input.

You could also ask moderation to limit threads with lotsa pics to show only 10 posts simultaneously.

It's a good tip, but it's convenient to just upload and done. People are lazy, and the forums allows PNG. If this has to be a thing, the forums must be reprogrammed to convert them automatically without any human input.

You could also ask moderation to limit threads with lotsa pics to show only 10 posts simultaneously.
I don't expect everyone to do it, that's just never going to happen. I'm just hoping that more people do it. And goodness help us if software that automatically mangles pictures were ever to be implemented. :ROFLMAO:
Post automatically merged:

I already "optimize them", I don't know why, but my screenshots (at base) are more around 10/15 MB :)
I don't know what is going on there, but it sounds like you should take a closer look at settings you'd be better off just leaving them as the original PNGs.

BUT!

One thing I didn't consider earlier when posting my experience with file sizes is that players are using different screen resolutions. My size estimates are based upon 1920x1080. So, if you're using a much higher resolution, then it stands to reason that your file sizes are going to be larger.

I don't know what is going on there, but it sounds like you should take a closer look at settings you'd be better off just leaving them as the original PNGs.

BUT!

One thing I didn't consider earlier when posting my experience with file sizes is that players are using different screen resolutions. My size estimates are based upon 1920x1080. So, if you're using a much higher resolution, then it stands to reason that your file sizes are going to be larger.
I can't choose anything (I think, I don't see any settings anywhere on my Series X).
It's 4K HDR or 4K without HDR :D

I can't choose anything (I think, I don't see any settings anywhere on my Series X).
It's 4K HDR or 4K without HDR :D
Nice! I'm jealous! No wonder why your file sizes are so big. I doubt my laptop could handle 4k (or it would even matter with my screen being what it is), it already gags with Ray Tracing which I turn on for only screen shots.

Top Bottom