Scripted enemy waves

+
Scripted enemy waves

Personally I don't like this. For example in Mass Effect you cross invisible magic line and suddenly enemies start appearing from doors and behind boxes. It can be used in some situations when reinforcements arrive etc, but I don't wanna see it used constantly.

Personally I wanna scout the area and perhaps snipe enemies from afar. But I don't see the point having sniper rifle if the enemies won't appear until I'm 20m away from them. Not too worried though since Witcher has had pretty nice balance on this subject.

What do you guys think?

ALpha protocol handled this quite well. If the alarm is raised then backup turns up via zip lines, windows and doors and they come in guns blazing. I am not a huge fan of the endless horde idea, but most people should have some form of backup.

In case we get some missions like infiltrating Arasaka or something like that, I guess this will happen. Or not. There was no such thing in the Witcher 2, that's what gives me hope.

ALpha protocol handled this quite well. If the alarm is raised then backup turns up via zip lines, windows and doors and they come in guns blazing. I am not a huge fan of the endless horde idea, but most people should have some form of backup.
I'd like to those reinforcements to actually exist before than rather magically appear when alarm goes off. Meaning that they would be on another floor of the building and you could have encountered them if you had chosen different entry point.

Witcher 2 though had Nekker nests and those big invisible snails, oh and I think some harpies used this mechanic also. But they were disguised rather well.

i can't think of many games that are like this these days, most of the games i have played have had people there long before you ever get into their area, i havn't played one of those scripted magic lines type game in a while.

I think we will be okay, they have made top games before and i had no issues with the witcher so i'm think were safe on that front.

i can't think of many games that are like this these days, most of the games i have played have had people there long before you ever get into their area, i havn't played one of those scripted magic lines type game in a while.

I think we will be okay, they have made top games before and i had no issues with the witcher so i'm think were safe on that front.

Well, The Witcher 1 DID have a lot of these enemy waves. In the beginning, for example, and later, too.

DA2 is the obvious example of waves of enemies spawning from nowhere, and the Witcher forums were full of very vocal DA2 refugees soon after it came out, so I think that CDPR would have a pretty good idea of what their existing fanbase would think if they ever did anything like that.

Alpha Protocol handled this quite well. If the alarm is raised then backup turns up via zip lines, windows and doors and they come in guns blazing.

Another reason why i love Alpha Protocol. So many brilliant ideas.. If only they executed them a bit better.

I am not a huge fan of the endless horde idea, but most people should have some form of backup.

Far Cry 3 did this really well. If you raised an alarm, backup would come from really far, usually by driving and rarely on foot. And this is how it should be. Enemies should be able to call backup, but only if you raised an alarm and they shouldn't spawn anywhere close to you. (And if they come from far, you would have better chances for planing an ambush..)

I guess it would depend on the situation. Gangs and street patrols would need to call in backup from a distance, but corporate security in a head office tower would not have far to go if it was attacked.

I guess it would depend on the situation. Gangs and street patrols would need to call in backup from a distance, but corporate security in a head office tower would not have far to go if it was attacked.

Well, corporations would probably work with security firms, right? I imagine they could call for backup and ask for reinforcements in case of emergency.

I agree. No hordes charging forward to get gunned down. Along the same lines I would like to see the NPCs act smart. Use cover, fire and maneuver, not just stand up and wait to get shot.

GTA Vice City had the most retarded spawning system in history of video games. There was a police station you could enter, but as soon you enter, countless of police officers would start to attack you. They would spawn from a door that didn't lead anywhere. Literally hundreds of them would spawn from a single "open" door that you couldn't enter. It was like a portal, your could see them "materialize" from thin air. It was ridiculous. (What was a few hundred cops were doing in that room anyhow?)

I think all of the concerns I'd have on this topic have already been addressed. I don't mind a mission objective that takes us through an area thick with opponents, but I don't want baddies magically spawning out of thin air from behind a lamp post, or otherwise popping out of an alcove where they've been programmed to wait, until such time as I got close (Army of Two, anyone? Bare alcove, with nothing interesting in there. What were those guys doing hanging out in there to begin with?)

This shit is literally worse than Hitler.

...Okay maybe that's exaggerating, but it's one current gen game design screw up that I really don't want to see perpetuated in the future.

I think all of the concerns I'd have on this topic have already been addressed. I don't mind a mission objective that takes us through an area thick with opponents, but I don't want baddies magically spawning out of thin air from behind a lamp post, or otherwise popping out of an alcove where they've been programmed to wait, until such time as I got close (Army of Two, anyone? Bare alcove, with nothing interesting in there. What were those guys doing hanging out in there to begin with?)

That reminds me, i replayed Neverwinter Nights 2 the other day and i remembered why i hated the combat in that game. Every room and i mean EVERY SINGLE DAMN ROOM, however unrelated, (Storage rooms, even places like broom closets) had at least three enemies waiting in them. (And they don't do anything to you until you get close enough.) It was really annoying. I mean, really? Did the bad guy marched in to the place and said "Guys! Spread as thin as possible. I want at least three guys in every single room." There are many examples of this in other games but NW2 was the worst. I don't want anything like that in CP77.

That reminds me, i replayed Neverwinter Nights 2 the other day and i remembered why i hated the combat in that game. Every room and i mean EVERY SINGLE DAMN ROOM, however unrelated, (Storage rooms, even places like broom closets) had at least three enemies waiting in them. (And they don't do anything to you until you get close enough.) It was really annoying. I mean, really? Did the bad guy marched in to the place and said "Guys! Spread as thin as possible. I want at least three guys in every single room." There are many examples of this in other games but NW2 was the worst. I don't want anything like that in CP77.
Yeah that game had it's problems. But NWN2 with it's first expansion is the most epic journey I've had with computer game. That's why Dragon Age felt rather mediocore to me, like more polished but watered down version of NWN2.

Yeah that game had it's problems. But NWN2 with it's first expansion is the most epic journey I've had with computer game. That's why Dragon Age felt rather mediocore to me, like more polished but watered down version of NWN2.

Don't get me wrong, its not that i don't like that game, its just that in original game combat gets so annoying at times i just want to leave it.

Top Bottom