Season of Love is here + Update 8.2

+
I just registered to the forums because I had to check this thing that just happened in my last game. I was playing Ursine Warriors list vs Kolgrim Nova Lockdown deck. I think it was this list https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/190561 the opponent played.

The thing is, my opponent somehow ended with 4 viper witcher mentors played and I just can't see how that happened.
He played one from hand in R1. He played one from location in R2. And then in R3 he somehow played 2 from hand. He didn't have or play Assire. I didn't mess with his graveyard in any way. After he played the 4th one I checked his graveyard to see if I've gone crazy, but there were 2 mentors in his graveyard and 2 on the board.

I just can't see how this happened. Is this some bug, cheat or am I just to stupid to see what happened?

Scratch everything above. It was from Vigo and I'm retarded :)

DRK3

Forum veteran
Already played quite a bit on this patch, and im not impressed. My worries after the stream yesterday were proven right, unfortunately.

Viy nerfed? You can barely notice it, only the OH nerf makes a big difference.
Lippy nerfed? The -1+1 nerf is laughable, on the highest tempo deck out there, specially when that difference only comes on R3, where they also have the 2nd Cerys play that just vomits points.

But as if that wasnt bad enough, ive faced enough SK Ursine Rituals that have ditched Lippy, Roach and Knickers, and just use all the other pointslam cards but also include the revamped Olaf+Hym combo, which got a 3pt buff on theory, but translates into a 6pt realistically. I remember this was one of the first combos i found out when HC was released, and also how it got replaced by the much better Vildkaarl when released, now with this massive buff its Vildkaarl that falls short.

Finally a lot of decks still fell way too strong, im guessing NR Witchers (somehow didnt find any today), but specially NG, the list that includes Portal and Ball, everytime i face it i feel like the opponent is cheating and getting 10 provs extra somewhere, i cant figure out how the hell to counter that, ive tried to bleed them and shorten R3, they just pull out more big golds out of nowhere.

Guest 4375874

Already played quite a bit on this patch, and im not impressed. My worries after the stream yesterday were proven right, unfortunately.

Viy nerfed? You can barely notice it, only the OH nerf makes a big difference.
Lippy nerfed? The -1+1 nerf is laughable, on the highest tempo deck out there, specially when that difference only comes on R3, where they also have the 2nd Cerys play that just vomits points.

But as if that wasnt bad enough, ive faced enough SK Ursine Rituals that have ditched Lippy, Roach and Knickers, and just use all the other pointslam cards but also include the revamped Olaf+Hym combo, which got a 3pt buff on theory, but translates into a 6pt realistically. I remember this was one of the first combos i found out when HC was released, and also how it got replaced by the much better Vildkaarl when released, now with this massive buff its Vildkaarl that falls short.

Finally a lot of decks still fell way too strong, im guessing NR Witchers (somehow didnt find any today), but specially NG, the list that includes Portal and Ball, everytime i face it i feel like the opponent is cheating and getting 10 provs extra somewhere, i cant figure out how the hell to counter that, ive tried to bleed them and shorten R3, they just pull out more big golds out of nowhere.
Yup, I just retired the OH deck. Removing the 1 charge has huge implications, it means including another consume unit which likely means one less deathwish which also now increases the probability of a brick in a short round where you draw consumes and no deathwish. Ironically several cards they introduced last expansion that get boosted from units being consumed are now even more useless. Less consistency and deathwish was already inconsistent by virtue of depending on consumes. Adding an extra 1pt to bronze units does not help. If you face hyperthin for example and your opponent is smart they can now brick your deck more easily than before. Meanwhile I faced Lippy and just forfeited in R1 because unless your opponent messes up you can see the end result after 3 mins if you have no way to counter. This was a weird patch but can't say I'm surprised

General Impressions: For the most part, I think these changes are very well considered: nerfs are sufficiently subtle to keep cards viable, and boosts mostly support cards that are underutilized but have potential to impact decks.

Fears:
1. With some hefty boosts to SY tribute cards, I fear double salamander decks will move from meme to meta. While SY should have meta decks, Salamander doubled has the same problem as Viy decks — while they can be countered, countering requires deck-bending that is really bad in other matchups, creating rock, paper, scissors play that depends only on matchup and not skill.

2. I fear boosts to certain NG cards will not only lead to inordinately high play rates for several NG deck designs, but will produce very high win rates as well. Particularly concerning to me is the unmerited buff to viper witcher mentor. At adrenaline 2, the card was difficult to get good value from in round 1, and by round 3 risked having no strong targets, balancing its high value potential with risk. At adrenaline 3, it can be used to push round 1 with good reach, and is unlikely not to obtain high value if used wisely.

Disappointments:
1. The Nerf to Viy will probably drop Viy decks a tier or two, but do not address the real problem, which was not balance, but the negative impact of Viy decks on deck building (needing generally anti-synergistic levels of tall punish, a deck designed to seek 2-0’s every matchup, and a deck whose success depends far more upon matchup than any other factor). I understand the developers nerf to overwhelming hunger; I agree that buffs to certain deathwish units compensate in non Viy decks; I believe the change good for the long term success of the game. But as an answer to the problems caused by Viy, it is the wrong approach.

2. The nerf to Lippy still leaves Lippy decks stronger than before the last expansion. I expect Lippy to continue to have the best win rate, and to continue to poison players attitude toward SK in general.

3. Call it a pet peave. I love the bear witcher adept — for what it does and not for its sheer power. As a 7 power for 4 provisions, with an armor generating bonus on top, it is used in every SK deck whether it fits or not. At 6 power, it would be used with discretion and subtlety. I don’t think it breaks decks, but the complaints of OP SK bronzes hold validity — and in the case of Bear Witcher adept, it is completely unnecessary.

Sources of Excitement:
1. Buffs to Xavier, Nivellen, and Vaedermakar might allow these interesting cards to get occasional play.

2. Buffs to lock cards are a step in the right direction. I much prefer a lock heavy meta to the removal heavy metas of recent times, and these are significant enough to cause change.

3. Buffs to Reinforced Trebuchet and Alba Pikemen are interesting and strategic if underwhelming.

4. Cat witcher adrenaline nerf, in my opinion, is a good step to restrict movement ST. These Witcher’s are now much less likely to carry round one.

5. Changes to Novigradian Justice are great. I like that it is no longer auto include in ST, but gives SY more options for use.

6. Many buffs to salamandra units might give SY some new options. We will have to see how it plays out.

I wouldn't worry too much about the double salamander deck, it is still pretty tough to pull off. SY could use some love in general and the buffs to tribute were welcome news.

EDIT - Ignore this... They just split all the contracts out as individual ones instead of displaying progressive tiers.

Yooo...
I ended Season of the Wild hunt in Pro rank... Yet it didn't register and as such I have not recieved the title of "Wild Hunt Navigator".
I've addressed this earlier but only met with silence.
Usually you address this kind of issue quite quickly.
What is up with this silence??
Its now 2 seasons ago Wild Hunt was.
Kinda pissing me off. Cyberpunk was a flop and now this??

Meh, I'll just repeat (a slightly edited version of) what I've said in the other thread since nothing has change in the patch notes since then:

Yirden is still cheap bullshit ("ohh look at meeee mommy, I reset his whole row with no effort! :D "). Cerys is too. ST will still have only 2 decks: Gord-centered (seriously, F Gord, 7 provision pointslam nonsense) one and Gezras-Centered one. NR witchers is still boring ship where cards just boost by an average of 10 on each deploy ability. Dol Dhu Lokke is still utter garbage. Instead of making Viy interesting they just nerfed it so it's less attractive lol.
I didn't think all lockers needed to have both a power and a provision buff BUT (I changed my mind because) this way they're balanced according the same measurements as Alba Armored Cavalry so that's okay since they're now consistent compared to NG locks, so that's good since those cards were almost never played.
And also why is SY now the only faction (well okay, I guess they're not the ONLY since they've now joined Monsters in this regard, but it made more sense in SY then it would in MO) without a factional lock (at the same time when all other locks are buffed)?? Is this now their thing like NR not being good at purifying but with SY being even worse at locks lol.
SK still has a 4 provision card that can do 6 instant damage which is just stupid and Patricidal Fury is still an instant Bloodthirst 3 :rolleyes: ...

And still we have a ton of underpowered and power-crept cards that are never being played (Regis: Bloodlust, both Ifrits, Ragh Nar Roogh, Armored Arachas, Myrgtabrakke, Fleder, Protofleder, Ice Giant, Dimun Corsair, Nekurat, Keira Metz, Shani, etc....).

At least SK location got nerfed by 2 points I guess and Brokvar Hunter got row locked, though he is still inconsistently superior to Nekurat, Corsair and Lyrian Arbalest who are 5 prov...

The buffs to Yennefer (Conjurer, and NOT TO VENGERBERG, the 2nd version didn't need a buff!), Idr, Bridge Troll, Rotfiend, Hym, Wild Hunt Hound, Barclay Els, Xavier Lemmens are good.
Somehow you took the time to notice that Vaedermakar exists but didn't notice that he's wrongly tagged as a Mage instead of Druid. :|

And also I must mention Cahir as being a slightly more interactive version of the binary Yirden (but unlike Yirden you can't avoid it by spreading your units/boosts over 2 rows since he affects both rows). He either dies or just wins you the game against any non-SK deck which is obviously still horrible card design but it doesn't look like it will ever be fixed due to it not even being recognized as bad.

Why did it take you over 4 months (it was changed in a patch 7.3 on the 30th of September 2020.) to come to the conclusion that the Dancing Star is not worthy to be 5 provisions? :think:

All in all, pretty underwhelming, not enough, and not even quite in the right direction. If we waited 2-3 weeks for a patch like this it might have been acceptable but after 2 months it's just close to nothing.

Last edited:
Besides nerfs for Lippy and Viy which aren't even that good because you can still make that decks easily why there are no nerfs for most anoying cards now? I mean movement and spells scoiatel ( expect small change to Novigradian justice ) is still not nerfed and without specific cards to play around it, its easy to lose the match. Northern Realms have that one anoying deck about witchers and buffing ur entire board. The fact that u can add Lyrian Scytheman normally to deck and only for 4 Provision doesn't help the situation. And finally unbalanced Nilfgard with Kolgrim. Fact that he only costs 9 provision for the effect he does is ridiculous. The card woudn't even be that bad becouse u have to play whole deck around it but u only need to play Letho to double the effect. If u play fraction with no many spells or minion to kill things ( for example Monsters ) You are totally screwed and you can't play around it unless you will win first round and then force Kolgrim on second round. The fact that mill cards are Strong doesn't help with that. 6 provision witcher of nilgard can get 12 points on one turn mostly now when adrenaline is only 3. And all of that would be less that problematic but Gwent deck library screws it even more because everyone can just click one button to copy that decks. When before the game was about strategy and building creative decks now all you do to get highest rank is copy one op deck and play it. Best thing would be to delete this thing so no one would check decks anymore. If its not going to happen please at least nerf that cards so they will be balanced compared to others. Because its not fair that there is 10 provision 4 power card that deals 4 and its never sees any play cuz Kolgrim is far more broken.
Post automatically merged:

Meh, I'll just repeat (a slightly edited version of) what I've said in the other thread since nothing has change in the patch notes since then:

Yirden is still cheap bullshit ("ohh look at meeee mommy, I reset his whole row with no effort! :D "). Cerys is too. ST will still have only 2 decks: Gord-centered (seriously, F Gord, 7 provision pointslam nonsense) one and Gezras-Centered one. NR witchers is still boring ship where cards just boost by an average of 10 on each deploy ability. Dol Dhu Lokke is still utter garbage. Instead of making Viy interesting they just nerfed it so it's less attractive lol.
I don't think all lockers needed to have both a power AND a provision buff BUT at least this way they're balanced according the same measurements like Alba Armored Cavalry so that's okay since at least it's now more consistent compared to NG locks, so that's actually good since those cards were almost never played so nice.
And also why is SY now the only faction (well okay, I guess they're not the ONLY since they've now joined Monsters in this regard, but it made more sense in SY then it would in MO) without a factional lock (at the same time when all other locks are buffed)??? Is this now their thing like NR not being good at purifying but with SY being even worse at locks lol. SK still has a 4 provision card that can do 6 instant damage which is just stupid and Patricidal Fury is still an instant Bloodthirst 3 :rolleyes: ...
And still we have a ton of underpowered and power-crept cards that are never being played (Regis: Bloodlust, both Ifrits, Ragh Nar Roogh, Armored Arachas, Myrgtabrakke, Fleder, Ice Giant, Dimun Corsair, Nekurat, etc....), at least SK location got nerfed by 2 points I guess. xD

And also I must mention Cahir as being a slightly more interactive version of the binary Yirden (but unlike Yirden you can't avoid it by spreading your units/boosts over 2 rows since he affects both rows). He either dies or just wins you the game against any non-SK deck which is obviously still horrible card design but it doesn't look like it will ever be fixed due to it not even being recognized as bad.

Why did it take you over 4 months (it was changed in a patch 7.3 on the 30th of September 2020.) to come to the conclusion that the Dancing Star is not worthy to be 5 provisions? :think:

All in all, pretty underwhelming, not enough, and not even quite in the right direction. If we waited 2 weeks for a patch like this it might have been acceptable but after 2 months it's just close to nothing.
i agree
Post automatically merged:

So now, Sindicate is the only faction without block. Really???
what about monsters?

Last edited:
Come on, get a grip! If you’re not playing Yrden, Igni, Rivia, Professional, Heatwave, Scorch, Curse of Corruption, Rockslide, Spores, Artefact Compression, and Mandrake you deserve to lose.

Come on, get a grip! If you’re not playing Yrden, Igni, Rivia, Professional, Heatwave, Scorch, Curse of Corruption, Rockslide, Spores, Artefact Compression, and Mandrake you deserve to lose.
Ye great idea i should add it to every monster deck no matter what its about xD

I love how there's less and less effort put in patch notes with each new patch.
You still haven't improved the transparency of the patch notes by putting damn before/after pictures of the cards alongside the names of the changed cards.
You barely separate different factions by changing the fonts; it's literally just bolded lol.
Like it's not a big deal, but ffs, at least write the fucking card names correctly. Do some spellchecking before posting it lol.

All that aside, first patch where you actually try to tune the underused cards, so good job i guess.

Guest 4375874

I love how there's less and less effort put in patch notes with each new patch.
You still haven't improved the transparency of the patch notes by putting damn before/after pictures of the cards alongside the names of the changed cards.
You barely separate different factions by changing the fonts; it's literally just bolded lol.
Like it's not a big deal, but ffs, at least write the fucking card names correctly. Do some spellchecking before posting it lol.

All that aside, first patch where you actually try to tune the underused cards, so good job i guess.
I've been very critical of them re balancing but "pictures" seems a bit of a silly nitpick. it's not an image change so why do you need that before and after? If someone doesn't immediately recognize the card by name then likely it's not something they're interested in anyway but lets say it's someone new to the game who wants to know, you can just type the name in the search bar and find the card. Faction separation.....there really aren't that many lol how would you suggest they separate them if bold isn't enough?

3. Call it a pet peave. I love the bear witcher adept — for what it does and not for its sheer power. As a 7 power for 4 provisions, with an armor generating bonus on top, it is used in every SK deck whether it fits or not. At 6 power, it would be used with discretion and subtlety. I don’t think it breaks decks, but the complaints of OP SK bronzes hold validity — and in the case of Bear Witcher adept, it is completely unnecessary.
Once upon a time the standard for 4 provision cards (not including engines) was that a card would maximize at 6 but for a certain condition, with it being able to be worth less then that. Prime example is the Noonwraith, being a maximum of 6 points but if it dies then it spawns 2 rats on an enemy row which is then 2 points for the enemy, so a Noonwraith's minimum value was 4 points. The first 4 prov cards to break these "rules" were some with the "bonded" tag and they'd have a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 8 (Mahakam Marauders, Cintrian Enchantress), but even so these cards aren't auto-include and only show up in certain deck designs and I honestly wouldn't mind them being nerfed to a minimum of 5 and max of 7 (esp Marauders since they're a lot more useful the Enchantresses)...
Then they came up with a 7 point Aen Elle Conqueror which had a hefty condition of Devotion so it doesn't kill itself on deploy which was also accepted.
And now we got the Fish Flapper (Bear Witcher Adept) which has a minimum of 4 (starts at 3 then immediately on the end of your turn heals to 4) but now has a maximum of 7 + further armor-up or healing up any time he's damaged which makes him a very good synergy material too. - this obviously breaks the previous set of standards of what a 4 provision card should do for you. :[
Same for when they introduced the Drummond Berserker and Bear Witcher to the pile of 5 provision cards. The 1st plays for 8 points in 2 turns for almost no condition other then that it doesn't die on the next turn. The 2nd has somewhat of a condition but then plays for instant 8 points.
Compare these to an old-school Kikimore Worker which has a maximum of 7 but at the weakness of dying on exposed and starts off with 4 armor, sure it has some rather weak way of getting more armor (which is even row locked lol in addition to being dependent on your deck) but on it's own it will never play for 8 points and is thus simply an inferior card compared to Berserker and Bear Witcher.

Also I must note how out of the 4 bronze cards that SK got with the latest expansion, ALL 4 are being used very often cause they're strong cards. Meanwhile MO got 4 cards out of which only 1 is actually being used (but still not nearly as much as SK use theirs, since SK ones can just fit in into almost any deck!) since the other 3 are pathetic. (I mean if those cards came out like 8 months ago they may have been seen as useful lol) And even ST got their Cat Witcher Adept (Rope Walker) which is just weak and also sees no play. So yeah, I cannot but notice SK being the favorite faction for the devs since they always get the strongest stuff (Cerys for example and the past expansion was also dominated by SK) and the least of nerfs.
One of these advantages on it's own doesn't make much of a difference but when you take the full sum of them then yeah it makes a significant difference.

I mean here I am trying to devise a Mage-themed deck for NR and am looking at this 7 provision gold card Sila De Tansarville (yes, I know it's a much older card but that's no excuse), and see she plays for an instant of 6 points with a maximum of 8 over 2 turns... and I am thinking well.. I know of some 5 provision bronze cards that play for that same amount (or more then that like Bear Witcher Mentor (seen him climb to insane 16 or 18 points on deploy!) or Mahakam Guard (4 prov)) so wtf lol. There's just too much inconsistencies in regards to what a card does for you for a given amount of provisions. And resolving these inconsistencies should be top priority for the devs. They shouldn't be introducing new cards if those mean that previously existing ones will be cast aside to the dustbin of history.

And all of that would be less that problematic but Gwent deck library screws it even more because everyone can just click one button to copy that decks. When before the game was about strategy and building creative decks now all you do to get highest rank is copy one op deck and play it. Best thing would be to delete this thing so no one would check decks anymore.
I completely agree with this! Being able to just 1-click import decks made by other players is making people lazy and just leads to an insane amounts of copy-paste cloned decks which hurts the diversity of games. Sure being able to share your deck is cool but if people just clone decks so easily it leads to repetitiveness like we got right now and that ends up killing the game.
Too much freedom is not good lol, imagine if kids in school had the "freedom" to chose weather they want to study and learn new things or to just throw shit at each other like monkeys, ofc they'd end up robbing themselves of education.

Last edited:
Top Bottom