Season of the Bear is live – with new features!

+
Bear is so dumb and idiotic, that i think whoever created this, just had idea to laugh at players and spit in their faces. Worst idea ever.
Of course, dont like = dont play, but still, awful, awful.

So far I've enjoyed this mode. Played around 10-15 games. And I haven't seen Lippy once even though I've run into Skellige quite a few times.

Depending on which quest you are trying to complete, depends on which deck type you take into the mode. One that can win, versus, for example, one that's all in on damaging the bear (which still managed to win somehow!).

After playing the seasonal mode for a while, I want to share my feedback. The idea is nice, but the execution has room for improvements.

There are five pointers where the seasonal mode can be improved:
1. Unbalanced
2. Forced
3. No creativity
4. Grindy
5. Long and boring matches

Unbalanced
First of all, I immediately thought Lippy would become a problem, but, interestingly enough, I actually rarely need to use him, only against other Skellige players (ironically). However, even without Lippy, Skellige is still the problem in the equation. The idea of the seasonal match is to create a new rule set with new challenges. But this set favors Skellige too much and there isn't anything other factions can do about it.

Forced
When you want the (cosmetic) rewards, you are forced to play the seasonal mode. There should be an alternate way of completing the nodes for those that do not want to play the new mode. Does that defeat the purpose of the seasonal mode? Not really because those looking for a change are still going to play it.

No Creativity
The Unrelenting She-Bear poses a new way to gain victory. You do attack the opponent's bear or focus on buffing yours. The idea is nice, but there still isn't enough room for creativity. Slyzard eating the bear is cute and all, but that rarely leads to victory. Making creative events that aren't solvable games is tricky, but I would like to see a bit more variety. I'll also discuss this in the next paragraph.

Grindy
The quests are just grindy and uninspiring. The win 3 matches in a round is especially a HUGE mistake and should be removed from all future seasonal events. Like mentioned in the paragraph above, the seasonal mode lacks creativity. This also applies to the quest nodes. We need more unique win conditions.

Long Matches
The matches are pretty long and, more importantly, quickly become boring. The length of the match is inherently a problem, but it could at least become more interesting when the issues in the previous paragraphs are solved.

TL;DR
The novelty of the seasonal mode wears off quickly because of the long and boring matches that lack room for creative solutions against an unbalanced army of Skellige warriors, where you are forced to grind to unlock the (cosmetic) rewards.

One of the possible solutions: redoing seasonal mode

rrc

Forum veteran
Fantastic write-up @4RM3D! In fact, I played only a couple of Seasonal matches. I found that to be [all you said above] and quickly gave-up, mainly because I didn't care much about this season's rewards - the borders, titles or the card-back. I would have been mighty sad and angry if I had to go through... this... to get the elf card back - the next season's reward. I had mentioned it earlier too, about the win 3 games in a row. Seriously WTF! Who thought it was a good idea is beyond me. I sincerely hope CDPR reads your post and corrects these mistakes in the next season.

Consider that you experienced only single season mode. I believe that further will have completely different set of rules and therefore, the matches will have different pace and different decks will shine.
I find it interesting and it generate a lot of ridiculous moments (when we ignore 70 percent of decks which are completely same Crach lists...). I am looking forward to the future iterations, however unlocking everything in the seasonal tree, just to obtain avatar is quite difficult grindfest...
Nevertheless, the seasonal mode is quite good way to obtain some challenging contracts.

I know that monthly challenges will likely be less balanced due to the lack of time, but having a single deck that is the best without ANY counterdeck possible to use is still something you should strive to avoid. It happened here, please take it as a lesson and be more careful in the future! What you need to do is to think about the archetypes currently present in GWENT and if any of these gain an advantage, and if there is an unhealty combination of advantageous archetypes. If you do that you quickly find out that:
the bear supports cards back into the deck archetype(SK, Lippy, a few other not very strong cards)
the bear supports damage cards(SK, Bloodthirst + Crach, damage archetype)
the bear supports mill(NG, various mill cards)<---- direct counter:Lippy!
If you find out things like that in the future(that a challenge strengthens the strongest archetypes of a faction that can be combined, and nothing else, except archetypes that are countered by the other strengthened archetypes) then you should re-design the challenge.

As nobody plays casual...Season is the only time I can play against real people and guess what! It's ONLY SK decks...

Never again. Hope the next season is in favour of another faction.

As nobody plays casual...Season is the only time I can play against real people and guess what! It's ONLY SK decks...

Never again. Hope the next season is in favour of another faction.

I was playing a minutes ago from my playstation account and enter the bear season by mistake when I was waiting to play a normal casual. In front, a SK against my ST of dwarves and elves. I lose a loooooong round one, it leaves me round two and we get to the third with a full hand of 10 and few cards to come out (4 or 5 each). When there is one card left to play and he has an overwhelming advantage, he pass and I launch a price-winning cow and in the next turn it spores that it takes away 13 points from his greatsword. I win for 1 point.
That`s the fantastic sensation that covers my futures 10 match/losses. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom