Season of the Cat has started

+

The new season of the Cat has arrived and with it the latest Update 7.3!

This brings a round of balance changes, including major changes to artifact removal cards and some adjustment to scenarios.

This season will last until November 3rd, 10:00 a.m. CEST.
Seasonal mode: Switcheroo
  • After 2 turns the players switch hands.
Patch Notes: Link

Last edited:

nehu

Forum regular
One of the most interesting seasonal modes, in my opinion. Glad it wasn't changed.

my first experience, i passed in first round with 30 ppoints vs 10 points and some working machines on my side, me blue coin at 5v5 cards, opponent used rest of cards, won that round and i was in disadvantage because it ended with equal number of cards, really funny

it smells like breaking card management

Last edited:
Didn't play during the last season of the, sounds very intresting. It reminds me of a seasonal where oponents picked each others hand (don't remember the exact season).

i was in disadvantage because it ended with equal number of cards,

From what I've observed, doesn't every round plays as if you have equal cards since it's impossible to play the extra card?

Either you don't have the extra card, play out your last card, are automatically considered done, and then receive the extra card after your opponent plays or you have the extra card in your hand and are forced to pass it to someone who played out their last card in their previous turn.

Or have I missed something?

my first experience, i passed in first round with 30 ppoints vs 10 points and some working machines on my side, me blue coin at 5v5 cards, opponent used rest of cards, won that round and i was in disadvantage because it ended with equal number of cards, really funny

Yeah, same here.

In fact, almost all the time i hate seasonal and hate i need to win some matches/rounds to complete seasonal tree.

Also... I'm assuming this is the best time to try and get the "win a match with a 100 provision deck" contract? Seeing as how you force your opponent to play half of your 4-provision bronzes while effectively stealing half of their higher provision cards...

Also... I'm assuming this is the best time to try and get the "win a match with a 100 provision deck" contract? Seeing as how you force your opponent to play half of your 4-provision bronzes while effectively stealing half of their higher provision cards...
Yeah, you can try, but only works in the first round.

The lack experience i get so far, problably both players will use all the cards in the first round, so the second round will be with only 3 cards and you will use 2 of your original deck.

So a poor deck will get you lose in second and third round

nehu

Forum regular

great idea, i made it on first atempt :D

100p syndicate vs fully armed syndicate

DRK3

Forum veteran

Yeah, that's why i hated the mode last year, its basically all-in R1, since if you pass, opponent can just keep playing your cards and theirs without losing CA. I would much rather have the cards stop switching hands the moment a player passes, that way the only focus of the mode would be using your cards better than your opponent.

Okay, this happened two times in a row.

Opponent played all cards, I leave one in my hand 'cause I can't reach his/her points.
The next round comes, and they use all the cards again. My opponent auto-passes and the last card comes to me as it should... and I can't play it! The game passes for me as well! One of them was a lost game anyway so it didn't bother me too much, but in the other, I still had the third round before me - but I got a lost game instead!

I'm pretty sure it should NOT work like this... I wasn't here the first time, so I don't know for sure, but as I read the forums, the seasonal modes are the same every month, so I guess this won't be addressed... So I just wanted to warn everyone who reads this:

DO NOT FINISH A ROUND WITH CARD ADVANTAGE!

The game will take it away anyway.

Opponent played all cards, I leave one in my hand 'cause I can't reach his/her points.
The next round comes, and they use all the cards again. My opponent auto-passes and the last card comes to me as it should... and I can't play it! The game passes for me as well! One of them was a lost game anyway so it didn't bother me too much, but in the other, I still had the third round before me - but I got a lost game instead!

Once you've played the last card in your hand, the game considers that as a pass. So when the extra card gets passed to you, it comes after you played your last card and "passed" at the end of the previous turn. This makes it impossible for one player to get a card advantage over the other in any round.

The only (minor) benefit of keeping a card in hand at the end of the round is to get an extra choice to mulligan / play first. Or possibly to confuse your opponent into thinking they might have an extra card to play at some point... :p

Once you've played the last card in your hand, the game considers that as a pass. So when the extra card gets passed to you, it comes after you played your last card and "passed" at the end of the previous turn. This makes it impossible for one player to get a card advantage over the other in any round.

The only (minor) benefit of keeping a card in hand at the end of the round is to get an extra choice to mulligan / play first. Or possibly to confuse your opponent into thinking they might have an extra card to play at some point... :p

Yeah, that sounds plausible - however, the game doesn't communicate this... If there would've been a big "PASSED" sign on my side after I played my last card, then I would have had no questions about this behavior. My confusion stems from the fact that there wasn't. Even if the system considered my last card as a pass at the same time, seemingly I didn't pass, only my opponent did.

I still think that this is an unfair and somewhat dumb behavior, but most likely this wasn't an intentional design choice, it just doesn't worth the time and the money to change the game's round-handling just for the sake of a seasonal mode.

Anyway... I learned my lesson, I just wanted to warn those who, like me, joined late to the party.

Yeah, that sounds plausible - however, the game doesn't communicate this... If there would've been a big "PASSED" sign on my side after I played my last card, then I would have had no questions about this behavior. My confusion stems from the fact that there wasn't. Even if the system considered my last card as a pass at the same time, seemingly I didn't pass, only my opponent did.

I still think that this is an unfair and somewhat dumb behavior, but most likely this wasn't an intentional design choice, it just doesn't worth the time and the money to change the game's round-handling just for the sake of a seasonal mode.

Anyway... I learned my lesson, I just wanted to warn those who, like me, joined late to the party.
It's actually still a problem with the regular rules. This weird interaction is mostly why I (and probably everyone else) no longer include "Ciri: Dash" in any of my decks. I can't tell you how many times I lost a match when I still had a card in my hand that would have turned things around, had I been able to play it. At least they decreased the time from 5 turns to 4, but since that came with +1 Provision cost, :shrug:
Post automatically merged:

I just wanted to add that after playing a few games, I have to say that this is the first Seasonal mode I straight up don't like. It seems inevitable that every match ends 2-0 or 0-2. I haven't actually lost a game yet, but even still, I don't like being a bully, and I feel bad because none of my opponents are able to make any progress on their Season of the Cat quest for winning 6 rounds.

Last edited:

nehu

Forum regular
It seems inevitable that every match ends 2-0 or 0-2.

its quite often, but outcome of the match looks just about rng

winning first round means nothing, if u got trash cards in 2nd and 3rd

as 2nd and 3rd rounds are just with 3 cards each and switching hands, i cant imagine any stable strategy

i dont like this season too

DRK3

Forum veteran
its quite often, but outcome of the match looks just about rng

winning first round means nothing, if u got trash cards in 2nd and 3rd

as 2nd and 3rd rounds are just with 3 cards each and switching hands, i cant imagine any stable strategy

i dont like this season too

Quite the opposite, winning round one in this mode is everything.

Because of the rules, you have no setback of then pushing R2, you are not risking losing CA like you are on every other mode, if you lose, still have R3 to try again.

Top Bottom