Season of the Draconid

+
I mean, in all the past seasons, you had to make a custom deck to take advantage of seasonal event.
So there is nothing different about this season.
Exactly that. Basically don't play too many orders/charge/syndicate or leaders that take forever to do what they do. Usurper, Calveit (if you're fast), Ardal, Eredin, Adda, Fila, Harald are probably the only one 'safe'.
I like it, although 2 more seconds just to have half a second enough to play/activate 2 cards would be nice.

As it is, this is badly executed.
But maybe a few more seconds might make the difference.
Right now though... for the first time i'm not sure if i want to play the seasonal mode.
Post automatically merged:

I am curious though, how many more posts like "i play blitz normally so i don't see why it would be a problem to others" we'll get.

Honestly though, this mode will be a big problem for players who play the game in a relaxed way, no roping but not racing to every card either. They'll be at a massive disadvantage here.

Erh... Yes, kind of agreed @dunadan5.
However, this is why there are OTHER modes.
You are only penalised if you REALLY want to complete the Season Nodes, in which case you are entering competitive territory I would say...

Said that, match victory conditions are scarce in the Seasonal Trees as far as I have witnessed (but I only played the last two Seasons as I am an Early Beta returning player, so I may be wrong here).

I am looking forward to testing the new patch changes but I can't get enough of this mode.

I like it precisely because both players will most likely burn cards, struggle to use the leaders' sbilities, play cards in the wrong rows etc. I did not care for any of the previous seasonal modes, just played enough to complete the rewards but this month I might skip a good amount of ladder because of the eight second rounds.

Played a bit of this last night. I love it! Matches don't last for 20 minutes, and quick decision-making is required.
Best of all, my main deck -- that requires targeting one card per turn at the most -- works quite well in the seasonal mode. :D

I can imagine it being impossible to play decks that have loads or Orders or Fees or interaction chains. But, like someone already said, seasonal modes always require specially optimised decks if one wants to succeed. This mode probably is more restrictive than most in that regard, though.

I got worked 2-0 by the fastest Gundren Bounty Syndicate play I have ever seen. Kudos to whoever is running that deck. Every turn they took the full 8 seconds, even if only playing a Swindle, and it worked well. I could tell they were on PC.

I play on PS4, so I am basically stuck with Harald. My strategy revolves around 2-4 second turns with immediate pass like playing chess with a clock, which has led to my opponent making more targeting mistakes.

Also, I am eagerly awaiting Shinmiri's foray into this seasonal event, it should be epic ;)

Best Seasonal mode!
I came back just for that.

... however....
Please do something with these silly Charges... Why the heck each charge has to finish being animated, before the next one can go? The speed of click should indicate the frequency of charges being applied... One charge -> click, and next would be overlayed, possibly with brightness reduction, because eg. 4 charges one over another would be too bright... Dunno, but if it wasn't for charges, this mode would be perfect.

Yeah, this game mode is kind of garbage. I guess I'll just hope the other guy screws up enough for me to get a few wins for the seasonal quest nodes.

Best mode ever: it's almost impossible to play these broken bounty SY deck that plagues the ladder as they don't have time to ping you multiple time!
This is the only playable mode while they finally nerf DJ, Philipa, Borsodis, Sea chacals, Townfolks/Igor & Cie....

I like it! Is perfect to complete daily misions, daily crowns and contracts in not a lot of time.
And fast level up.

Last edited:
Yea, some peaple like it, some don't.

3rd day in a row it took me less then 4h to complete 6+12+24+24 daily rounds. I have to play 4 fast forward decks (upgraded day by day). Winstreaks are crazy, few times even 17-19 games in a row. Yesterday I got all seasonal rewards but I guess in this season I will stick to this blitz format. A lot of contracts to unlock.

BTW The new dragon frame is not added to this page and I see only small square in the left high frame courner.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
Yea, some peaple like it, some don't.

3rd day in a row it took me less then 4h to complete 6+12+24+24 daily rounds. I have to play 4 fast forward decks (upgraded day by day). Winstreaks are crazy, few times even 17-19 games in a row. Yesterday I got all seasonal rewards but I guess in this season I will stick to this blitz format. A lot of contracts to unlock.

BTW The new dragon frame is not added to this page and I see only small square in the left high frame courner.
Good for you!
I also like this seasonal mode mainly because I am scared to play Ranked.
Which leader are you playing? I have a Brouver deck which does OKish.

"Which leader are you playing? "

After over 120 seasonal games:

I play NR - Control Foltest; NR - Inspired Meve; MO - Gerni; NG - Control Ardal;

also very good are: ST - Fila; NG - Usurper; (but I already have thier contracts completed).

also have seen some good builds with MO - Woodland; and ST - Eithne.

SY - is almost unplayable in this blitz format.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
I am fine with having some leaders and faction out of the meta of a seasonal mode, but I am not fine with being punished for using syndicate not because they take too long but because the game takes forever to load. Any combo is basically impossible.

I understand having a fast paced timed mode, but it's not really for this game where the engine(?) still struggles with any combination.

Raunbjorn

I wish these seasonal trees weren't so extremely grindy. The border is really cool but it doesn't really feel satisfying when you get it more like you've wasted your precious time.

No matter how fast I play cards, certain animations eat up precious seconds .
This - absolutely and wholeheartedly. I could have easily won games that I lost because I lost half of the timer due to animations and couldn't complete the turn properly. This happens more than once a round and when it happens in the final round (when you're generally playing your leader card) it leads to an instaloss. It's extremely frustrating.

I like the idea of the season - in fact, I really like it and wish it were a standard gameplay type in addition to Arena and normal Ranked play - but it will only work if animations pause the gameplay clock. Otherwise you simply can't implement plays and this leads to playing decks that don't require any charges/bounties/selection of cards from tutors (Usurper, Dwarf buff and SK decks mainly in my experience).

i have to strongly disagree with what seems to be the majority here. this seasonal mode brings back the thrill of OB gwent. Its so fast paced, dynamic, and thrilling. This is the most fun play mode so far since HC. It is really entertaining when either me or my opponent sometimes run out of time because we can't make up our minds fast enough.

I agree that the card animations etc are too slow for this mode as they are at the moment, but this seasonal mode is the most fun I've had with gwent in a while. I built entire new decks around this mode (typically in the past I just copied decks from people and tweak them a bit).

I have written previously in another post that with this kind of play style and feeling, i don't mind losing from time to time because it's fun. of course it's more fun to win, but the game in general is fun. HC gwent became too slow and stale that even winning didn't make me want to keep playing.

Yea the hype is real, a lot of people are having fun with this mode playing their own meme decks. ( f.e. Yarpen Zigrin in Eldain deck :) ). Deck doesn't have to be strong, you just have to know in advance what to do. A lot of fun from random missclicks and mistakes. GG after every game.

I would also like to see this mode added to standard Gwent client. With 10 sec., not 8 sec. for a move. IMO that would be enough time for animations. The blitz meta would be completly different then boring mirror netdecks on ladder. And more importantly you can play 8-9 games per hour, not 2-3.

They should do something like arcade in overwatch where you can play various seasonal modes because blitz gwent should never leave us.

Top Bottom