Season of the Draconid

+
I love this season, BECAUSE there are some problems you have to handle. For example the animations. It is possible to choose decks that work, you have to think about it and to choose the right moment to start animations, but that is part of the fun. Maybe that SY does'nt work well, but they mow us others down all the time, so my pity is limited.

Last edited:
Wow, reactions are split wide open for this one. I guess next year they'll know which modes were most popular, and which ones to maybe revise. I personally really liked the Season of Magic's double special-card mode.
Post automatically merged:

What would be really interesting is if you could bank any extra time you have left after your turn. That way, you could save time for a combo at the end of the round. You'd still have really fast games, but you could manage the clock as part of your strategy. This would probably open up more possibilities for deck building. I could really get behind that!

Last edited:
Coming back to my original statement, I'll explain why this seasonal mode is poorly conceived because there is no reason for the animations to be as slow as they are. You cannot even chain multiple actions together, instead you have to wait for the previous animation to finish. This is bad game design because it breaks the flow of the game, regardless of the seasonal mode. Up to this point, it didn't really bother me, but, now, with the new seasonal mode, it becomes so obvious, it's no longer enjoyable. Sure, the matches are a lot faster and you can make a different deck, but when rendering over 60% of all cards and leaders useless for the wrong reasons, it's not a good feeling. Hence, even with the time advantage, this is still the least enjoyable seasonal mode to date.

Nerys

Forum regular
Exactly this. I like fast pace of the matches, I would be happy if CDPR decreased time of the turn in ranked games to 45 seconds or even 30 seconds (after speeding up animations or implementing actions queue) because it would decrease average time of the match in Gwent (before HC I was doing 42 rounds like every day, now my max is 18 rounds in rankeds) but I hate that animation locks you in one place and you have to wait until it resolves.

The quest nodes are quite bland - Play 5 matches, Play 20 matches, Win 20 Rounds. Pretty disappointing.

The lag in this game is terrible at the best of times but it is just game-breaking when you are penalised by this fact in a time-based seasonal gimmick... in a turn-based digital card game. No matter how fast I play cards, certain animations eat up precious seconds and have lost games due to technical issues completely out of my hands. Would be nice if there was some sort of server-side solution for laggy clients. If this doesn't change. this is one season I'm going to have to skip.

Yep. It highlights a major problem in Gwent; the timer is too short for some animations/decks.

Animations should pause the turn timer. Hard to abuse and fixes a looooot of problems.

Just a heads up to everyone complaining about animations and timers, I came to GWENT from HS and there the actions can be queued, letting the animations be processed after the timer has elapsed.

It creates unfair advantages based on computer power and APM. Also, the turns drag on, defeating the purpose of the mode. Anyone that played against Shudderwork got a taste of how the "fixing" would feel.

Nerys

Forum regular
@akhorahill

In HS you can play more than 1 card in a turn so we won't have this situation in Gwent. In Gwent we can play leader + card, sometimes leader + card and card from summoning circle. Most of the time 1 card per turn is played.

too fast cant play my cards right - even if i am ready- the little sound that plays - the arrow animation- the little time it takes for the card to be drawn - all slow you down just enough - if they get "stuck" at the end computer chooses the target - very bad very bad --- i just buffed my enemy + 10 - ruins the game -- over buffed one of my cards because the source was still active "I was saving that !" .

main point - if you are doing an action "deciding a target" the game should extend the time long enough to use that action

Yep. It highlights a major problem in Gwent; the timer is too short for some animations/decks.

Animations should pause the turn timer. Hard to abuse and fixes a looooot of problems.
This EXACTLY. I understand that seasonal decks require you to create decks that cater to the seasonal requirements but this season is really frustrating. There are very few decks which are not subject to animations and its the animations (or rather, the time it takes for the animations to play which impact on the timer) which mean you have little to no time to play the cards you want to.
This could be an extremely good mode of play. It would be better than Arena IMO - far, far better. But the fact that animation delays directly affect the time you have to play is detrimental. If the timer stopped when animations played then this could be my go to method of playing the game.

I just got my 300 win in blitz mode. Slowly I'm geting tired but it is still fun to play. Pity that there was no hotfix on ladder to stop DJ/Foltest/Usurper fiesta. Maybe I will go for 1k wins in seasonal. This mode fits me perfectly.

I'm currently playing this Eldain deck: https://www.playgwent.com/pl/decks/guides/27622

Btw when you think that you have seen it all, today my opponent was running Damien de la Tour in Usurper deck.. :facepalm:

I really like this mode. At least in theory. I agree with previous comments that we should be able to queue commands/plays. It is indeed annoying to see your cards targeting something random or playing on the wrong row because of animations or lag. It is fun not having time to do everything, but it is frustrating to click 100 times on a card or a target to have it go awry.
I think being able to pre-play 1 play during an animation would make it great.

Seasonal is usually poorly thought out imo.

Doesn't surprise me considering they still haven't made arena worth playing.

Guest 4368268

Really glad they added this mode. I'm kind of sitting on the fence waiting for Homecoming to hopefully down the line suit my personal preferences more in terms of gameplay. But this way I can tune in for a little while every day, get some dailies/sense of what's being played atm. Regular games just feel too long for me. Also I largely know what my opponent will be playing about 3 cards in and yet they like to take their time. Not faulting them for it obviously, but it often feels like waiting for the inevitable.

Maybe I will go for 1k wins in seasonal.
So, I finally did it, with 71% WR (1000-398-42). Everyday 6+12+24+24 rounds (28-30 wins) then more. Some days with 50+ wins, worst 26, best 54. I got masteries (100 wins) with 10 leaders. The last one was Harald - 93 wins on an autopilot. But most of the time I was having a blast. The key to not get bored was to play a lot of leaders with fun deckbuilding in a healty meta (look below how many Tier 2 leaders). This seasonal helps with masteries of rare leaders. 8-9 games per hour, not 2-3 on the ladder with the midsummer crysis. On the other side it was hell of a grind. 5-10% frustrating loses on missclicks (also winning that way), to long animations were killing it, and like aways some trolls playing only top decklists from internet.

Would be great if this seasonal would transform to a new Gwent mode with the blitz rating. Climbing, rating losses for concede, beginners vs beginners, etc. It requires a turn off animations button or 10 sec per move (not 8 sec) for leaders with multi orders. Time limited my moves to only 4 per turn. But I have seen people plaing KoB and pinging a bounty 8 times per turn...

This is my blitz meta report:) with few of my decklists:

Tier 1:

Meve(*),
Adda(*), https://www.playgwent.com/pl/decks/guides/28636

Tier 2:

Ardal(*),
Ethne(*), https://www.playgwent.com/pl/decks/guides/29272
Crach,
Harald(*), https://www.playgwent.com/pl/decks/guides/29512
Gerni(*), https://www.playgwent.com/pl/decks/guides/29347
Arnjolf(*),
Filavandrel(*), https://www.playgwent.com/pl/decks/guides/29311
Brouver,
Gudrun,
Henselt,
Foltest,
Demavend(*),
Dana,

Tier 3:

Woodland, https://www.playgwent.com/pl/decks/guides/28129
Usurper,
DJ,
Eldain(*), https://www.playgwent.com/pl/decks/guides/27622
Cleaver.

(*) - my 100 wins

BTW I recommend a few asap nerfs to help the game:
- Keira 5p body;
- Baron 5p body and 11 prov.;
- DJ dell his starting 5 charges (never played DJ and not plannig);
- Foltest back to order boost by 1.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I give up on ranked this season. I really wanted to do well, because of the theme (Draconid).

But not only is the meta completely horrendous, im stuck on a weird place where there are 2 types of players:
-complete noobs using Tier 0 decks
-decent or good players using other decks

It's the first type that broke me. Whether is losing against prestige 0 players that probably have less than 50h in Gwent, or they taking ages to play, to see my weird cards they never saw before, or any SY player taking AGES to spend coins and charges... i really wish we could play ranked with 8 seconds, or 15/20 seconds to not be as stressful as the seasonal mode.

i really wish we could play ranked with 8 seconds, or 15/20 seconds to not be as stressful as the seasonal mode.

Agree 15/20 seconds in ranked mode in high ranking, but in low ranking, whit beginners, more time is needed.
Maybe for each group of ranks the time can be different.

Now we have 60 seconds. I would say 45 or 30 seconds would be enough but with faster animations and actions queueing in the future.

Top Bottom