Season of the Dryad is here!

+
Everyone be complaining about the monsters (which is shamefully killed) but I think having this 1 deck/season thing is a lot worse. Some time ago it was NG wtv, then for some time it was a MO [...] deck, lately it was the [...] with demons and now everybody has the urge to netdeck with shield and duels (anyone using the shield for machines has no idea where they are lol)
So basically what happens is that every month they overpower something, someone makes a deck for it, 99% starts using it, then they realize it was a mistake so next month they nerf it, but at the same time OP up something else and da capo al fine

It's like... "A dream within a dream"....
..."chasing the dragon forever more" ! :coolstory: :giveup:

rrc

Forum veteran
For a moment there, I thought Duen Canell was getting a buff. Don't think anyone mentioned the "order" bit in the stream, and there's no dev comment on that here. So you buff the card against Circle of Life but take away deploy damage and make every other faction feel better about removing it? GG guardian. Abandoned girl is going to basically replace it in every Sym deck now. All because that deploy 2 point damage was soo OP :giveup:
I actually think this was a buff for this card. She is now proactive. You can set-up Circle Of Life for directed boost on the card of your choice (or Nature's Rebuke to finish a 6 or 7 point card).
I actually overlooked that change. I fully agree. That makes the card almost unplayable. It will always die if your opponent has the means to kill it.
While the possibility of her getting killed is high, I think the proactivity and delayed-attacks are much better. Somehow I feel that this is a good change and a buff to this card. But if my ST commandos think otherwise, I may be wrong here.

Calling it season of the dryad is ironic when it messed up the mystic echo deck, but fine I guess the changes are for the better, too bad I didnt know they were coming, I spent all my scraps to make that deck as a new player, so now Im left with pretty much nothing.

Last edited:
I actually think this was a buff for this card. She is now proactive. You can set-up Circle Of Life for directed boost on the card of your choice (or Nature's Rebuke to finish a 6 or 7 point card).

While the possibility of her getting killed is high, I think the proactivity and delayed-attacks are much better. Somehow I feel that this is a good change and a buff to this card. But if my ST commandos think otherwise, I may be wrong here.

Fair, but I feel like we already have proactive Sym cards in the girl and Hama. Guardian's deploy 2 damage was good, because it didn't put extra removal value on the board. Now you're basically telling people "Your joust/rebuke/whatever used to be a 3 but now a 6 value." And really, the only actual buff to this card is specifically against circle of life and maybe against infiltrator. Floating that extra 2 damage for Circle purposes is rather meh. It may find some purpose in Schirru decks to line stuff up, but since you play it early in the round it seems unlikely. It might find use as bait, similar to royal guard, but RG is 4p, and 5 is a bit expensive for it, imo. So yeah, I'm not crazy about it. For 5 p, I think it's back to Hama dryads, especially with the leader synergy.

Show me one competitive deck that used old Force, I'll wait.
I truly have no idea why you're being so hostile.
If you find MO so boring there's 5 other factions in the game to play, but I guess it's more fun just being a dick to people on the forums for no reason.
Ethereal carried the entire faction and Ethereal was boring as hell to play to begin with.
He said ethereal should never have been a thing. Also what if I don't want to play another faction? I started playing this game specifically to play MO, it's what drew me to the game. I think he was just irritated because for the past few days ppl such as yourself who do not play MO keep trying to downplay the problem

He said ethereal should never have been a thing. Also what if I don't want to play another faction? I started playing this game specifically to play MO, it's what drew me to the game. I think he was just irritated because for the past few days ppl such as yourself who do not play MO keep trying to downplay the problem
I've actually spent much of the day playing MO after that exchange, at rank 2 I win some I lose some but I'm having fun with it. But I can see how it's frustrating when it's the only faction one has cards for. I'm lucky enough that I have a ton of resources from the beta days.
I'll experiment some more with it later.

Last edited:
- Finished with my gaming session tonight, made a MO WF deck, it's not bad if you play really agressively with frost and manage to keep your enemy low (referring to the domination effect).
You def have to push hard R1 and R2, even if you have to bring Eredin out, save King Auberon for the last round if you can.

- Don't know what to say, WF feels kindah okay i guess but still falls short at providing enough points on some situations, def not as worthy or as versatile as DS was.

- Made a deck for SY, congregate... the new "Sacred Flame" is definitely making it alot more enjoyable and i've lost only 1 match out of 6 on casual, a lot of points but not much in terms of control.

I've actually spent much of the day playing MO after that exchange, at rank 2 I win some I lose some but I'm having fun with it. But I can see how it's frustrating when it's the only faction one has cards for. I'm lucky enough that I have a ton of resources from the beta days.
I'll experiment some more with it later.
After that exchange....that's the key. It's the faction that many of us main. A lot of ppl are devoted (pun intended) to one faction.

I have other cards, in fact I have almost as much NG cards as MO (all of them) . I also have plenty of scraps with nothing to do with. I just CHOOSE not to play NG and very little others because they just aren't for me not because I lack resources.

Then you say you win some and you lose some. Which normally is fine, no one expects to win all the time. The problem is when it's with that one archetype that wasn't nerfed into the ground. The lack of options is the issue.

So for every post you see and are annoyed by from MO players, we are equally annoyed with everyone telling us nothing is wrong. Apply the same thinking to when SK was broken...I recall you being very vocal about that... Well don't just be vocal when a faction is overturned, do the same when one gets nerfed into the ground.

After that exchange....that's the key. It's the faction that many of us main. A lot of ppl are devoted (pun intended) to one faction.

I have other cards, in fact I have almost as much NG cards as MO (all of them) . I also have plenty of scraps with nothing to do with. I just CHOOSE not to play NG and very little others because they just aren't for me not because I lack resources.

Then you say you win some and you lose some. Which normally is fine, no one expects to win all the time. The problem is when it's with that one archetype that wasn't nerfed into the ground. The lack of options is the issue.

So for every post you see and are annoyed by from MO players, we are equally annoyed with everyone telling us nothing is wrong. Apply the same thinking to when SK was broken...I recall you being very vocal about that... Well don't just be vocal when a faction is overturned, do the same when one gets nerfed into the ground.

Matey, he said he was sorry... he even tried to see how and if it actually works atm. (playing MO)
One cannot ask for anything more.
"He gets it", he understands, just leave him be...
I feel ya, but yeh... he understands.

Cheers.

- Finished with my gaming session tonight, made a MO WF deck, it's not bad if you play really agressively with frost and manage to keep your enemy low (referring to the domination effect).
You def have to push hard R1 and R2, even if you have to bring Eredin out, save King Auberon for the last round if you can.

- Don't know what to say, WF feels kindah okay i guess but still falls short at providing enough points on some situations, def not as worthy or as versatile as DS was.

- Made a deck for SY, congregate... the new "Sacred Flame" is definitely making it alot more enjoyable and i've lost only 1 match out of 6 on casual, a lot of points but not much in terms of control.
That's not consistent gameplay and MO is already a very draw dependent faction. Between Venendal Elite or Urihedd Vanguard or similar cards, it's dreadfully easy for factions to gain dominance over you in just the 1st turn. After that you're playing catchup.

I've encountered white frost players and between R1 and R2 they've already lost their leader charges going into R3 with nothing regardless of Red or Blue coin and it wasn't difficult to force their hand. I'm not saying it's unplayable but if it's all MO players have then that's nothing to write home about. I've gone back to my Organic deck which is weaker now but I get more consistency and synergy out of it.
Post automatically merged:

Matey, he said he was sorry... he even tried to see how and if it actually works atm. (playing MO)
One cannot ask for anything more.
"He gets it", he understands, just leave him be...
I feel ya, but yeh... he understands.

Cheers.
I wasn't attacking the guy....he assumed I said what I did because I only had cards for one faction and I clarified. Not sure there's anything there for you to take offense to but umm...cheers

Last edited:
Calling it season of the dryad is ironic when it messed up the mystic echo deck, but fine I guess the changes are for the better, too bad I didnt know they were coming, I spent all my scraps to make that deck as a new player, so now Im left with pretty much nothing.
You should try out Nature's Gift I'm pretty sure you can use most of those cards in such a deck. It's surprisingly powerful.

ya1

Forum regular
then they realize it was a mistake so next month they nerf it

Or they buff it even more like they did with SK, adding Vabjorn. So you never know. They just might give NR even more broken stuff because of the "thematic aspect" or the "aesthetic symmetry between factions."

There is something wrong somewhere in the process of generating and processing ideas in the Gwent team. And I'm not writing this because I'm bitter and wanna unload on someone. I only want them to realize this and fix it. Gwent balancing needs to get more in touch with Gwent meta.

Thematic value and aesthetics are very important, especially as they make the Witcher universe what it is. But It's a multiplayer competitive game, balance should be number one priority. So it's not that important that all factions have exact same 4 for 5 thinning units with exact same value and each one must have a defferent condition because that is consistent with the aesthetics of symmetry. Or that Duen Canell must be a 4 body with 2 dmg order because something in NR was changed that way. Or that Vincent must be aligned with the evaluation of Geralt of Rivia. Or that shields are thematically aligned with the NR feel. Number one reason for making any changes like the above should be HOW POWERFUL IT WILL MAKE DECKS VERSUS OTHER DECKS.

Monsters had more than just Ethereal to use. Ethereal was just the one thing everybody was talking about. That's why CDPRs nerfing of it is more reactionary than actually justified by the meta.

Exactly. Ethereal decks were a combo of Ethereal, some thrive package, some deathwish package with either Haunt or Ozzrel/Yghern, control package of Crones, etc. Ethereal did not carry that deck singlehandedly. At least not since the Caranthir change.

Ethereal death-nerf is Reddit-driven balancing.

There's nothing inherently wrong with "reddit-driven balancing." People who post on reddit (or here) are people who play the game. Their feedback is just as (or more) valid as the "but the winrates!!" numbers. The problem is the fixes are usually needlessly convoluted and weird.

Coulda made Ethereal 3 body instead of 4 and it probably would have fixed it. Could have made the fruit immune to turning and it would have fixed it. No, we're going to keep the power, make it order, make it zeal, lower the provision, so now no one will play it...

Coulda put a cap on MEcho to prevent it from replaying Waters. No, we're going to make Harmony work only on same row, so no one will play it...

And so on.

Why did you change some of the abilities on the cards, the game is hard as it is for newcomers like me. It's frustrating, I had a deck that as working for and I reckon I could have climb high in this season's ranking now I feel my deck is weaker after spending the money to strengthen it. Thanks for that

I said it once, I will say it again - lazy development.

Ethereal was at best a tool to win one round, you always needed a finisher for 3rd round like kiki or hunt but everyone talked about Ethereal so CDPR nerfed it without even bothering to check how people played it.

On top of that they removed Death Shadow from monsters because it is OP but hey, let's leave Mobilization for NR, and on top of that let's add them Sheild Wall - that's how CDPR lazy development looks like...

Why in the world would you nerf MO this bad? Death Shadow made this a great deck to be competitive. Please fix this mistake on the devs part or you're gonna lose players. Why do this? It makes zero sense.

Last edited:
That's not consistent gameplay and MO is already a very draw dependent faction. Between Venendal Elite or Urihedd Vanguard or similar cards, it's dreadfully easy for factions to gain dominance over you in just the 1st turn. After that you're playing catchup.

I've encountered white frost players and between R1 and R2 they've already lost their leader charges going into R3 with nothing regardless of Red or Blue coin and it wasn't difficult to force their hand. I'm not saying it's unplayable but if it's all MO players have then that's nothing to write home about.

For a lil bit of more consistency make sure to include "Ge'els" and "Naglfar" in your deck.
As for the leader charges, make sure to keep one for R3.
I'm thinking of not including "Naglfar's crew" and using "Drowners" for enemy row disruption.
It get's a little bit tricky sometimes tbh cause without the crew's frost effect you will most likely lose dominance if you can't get your hands on "Ard Gaeth".
Whatever you do, don't waste both of the leader charges to get the queen out.
The deck should also include all "the usual suspects" (Yghren, Ozzrel, Golyat and the Beast) and Striga for executions.

Enjoy ! :beer:

Last edited:
For a lil bit of more consistency make sure to include "Ge'els" and "Naglfar" in your deck.
As for the leader charges, make sure to keep one for R3.
I'm thinking of not including "Naglfar's crew" and using "Drowners" for enemy row disruption.
It get's a little bit tricky sometimes tbh cause without the crew's frost effect you will most likely lose dominance if you can't get your hands on "Ard Geith".
Whatever you do, don't waste both of the leader charges to get the queen out.
The deck should also include all the usual suspects (Yghren, Ozzrel, Golyat and the Beast) and Striga for executions.

Enjoy ! :beer:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll however never use Naglfar in my deck. I say this unapologetically....it's a BAD card.
Dominance is a fundamentally flawed mechanic at the moment and should not be tied to frost. Eredin for example should not require dominance for the added damage, it should be unconditional so long as he's on the board.
Also nobody uses Ard Gaeth, it's why they made Ge'els a tutor, in the hopes that ppl would but it's still a terrible echo even with white frost. In the past 100 matches I've probably encountered it 5 times.

Yghrn, Ozzie and Golyat are pretty much back to business as usual, pre MM but the meta has changed significantly making them somewhat lacking. I guess depending on your style of play (thrive spamming) they're still useful but most have switched to Overwhelming hunger. Again for consistency and control. Control is invaluable right now.

Breli

Forum regular

i had no time to play myself so far so DCG viability is a bit of speculation on my part.

My thinking is just this: by killing it, say with joust, you effectively kill an 8 if you count some Symbiosis ticks. Given the chance I would always kill that unless there are even juicier targets ...

There's nothing inherently wrong with "reddit-driven balancing." People who post on reddit (or here) are people who play the game. Their feedback is just as (or more) valid as the "but the winrates!!" numbers. The problem is the fixes are usually needlessly convoluted and weird.

Coulda made Ethereal 3 body instead of 4 and it probably would have fixed it. Could have made the fruit immune to turning and it would have fixed it. No, we're going to keep the power, make it order, make it zeal, lower the provision, so now no one will play it...

- I've stumbled upon an "Ethereal Fruits" player last night, i was playing SY CO devo, poor fellow dropped it without protection and I killed it with one move.
Felt bad for it tbh, he also carried a kikimore for round two, such irony...

- Imo it should at least be able to target any allied unit instead of only the one to the right, not that will fix it but still, it will be more flexible.

Top Bottom