Season of the Elves is ending soon!

+

rrc

Forum veteran
ser2440;n10900121 said:
Just want to point out that while bronze nominal value is 11, the rest is not really 13 and 15. Geralt's value is 15 sure, but that's a low gold value. Just like in the Isengrim thread, Geralt's value might be low but it has maximum consistency (it's always 15, so it always attains the highest value it can) with no commitment or cost (unlike Ciri: Nova for example which requires you to have 2 bronze copies of everything). So all cards, including bronzes, become an equilibrium of pretty much 5 things:

Highest Value: This has 2 sub categories
  • Point Swing: How many points it gives you when played in the best case scenario
  • Indirect Value: Points that are not given to you the moment this card is played. Vesemir is crucial to the NG handbuff deck for example, that's why people use Royal Decree. He doesn't swing for much when played but buffs all your bronzes afterwards, so it has a lot of value even if it doesn't swing for any points
Lowest Value: What's the worst value this card can have

Consistency: How consistently this card gains its highest value, or very nearly

Cost: How much do you need to commit in order to make this card worth it

Flexibility: How many ways it has to gain value

Active ability units have a massive Highest value, especially in a deck that synergizes with them, but they are not very consistent, since they get removed very easily, and the cost is to build your whole deck around them, which is why Engine decks are subpar. Geralt's Highest value is low, at 15, and he is not very flexible, but has 100% consistency and no cost. It will always be 15.

So now you can see why Tutor cards are so crucial. Rainfarn of Attre for example, has, in most decks, 2 ways to gain value. With Joachim or Cantarella. With Joachim it gives you a large point swing, while with Cantarella its value is indirect in tutoring the spy and thinning the deck. It is very consistent if played with the right deck, only rarely bricking, the cost is just to bring 2 silver disloyals and it has at least 2 ways to gain value: these 2 disloyal units. Same goes for Natalis and Whispess: Tribute.

So saying the average silver is 13 and the average gold is 15 doesn't really do it justice in my opinion. That's what the cards that have no cost and max consistency give you. The average good gold value is closer to 19 - 20. "No commitment bronzes" should be 11 but only those that don't really fit any other category. That's why Bearmasters and Half Elf Hunters are bad for the game. They are worth 12, give you 2 bodies and also have synergy with at least one very viable strategy (veterans or elf swarm). In a way, Fiends are also bad due to the Relict synergy. And Dimun Warships because of the added corsair, pirate captain and axemen synergy. If something is going to be worth 11 points, it needs to be so without any other possible added bonus, I think. Just like the old Fiends which were worth 8 (the nominal bronze value then) but had absolutely no synergy with anything.

On the contrary, Machine bronzes are well designed. they need 1 crewman to be worth 11 - 12 points in most situations, worth more with 2, less with none.

Awesome explanation ser2440. I thought Fiend were OK since it didn't have any special ability, but ironically just a while ago I lost a game in which Fiends were made 15 points. The opponent used a gold card which strengthens all relicits and passed. In the second round he 'Renew'ed that gold card and then passed. In third round three fiends with 15 STR were deployed. That was pretty cool (unfortunately I didn't have Scorch and lost that game). But this is kind of OK. There are so many nuances which I didn't know and facing them one by one.

Top Bottom