Season of the Wild Hunt has begun

+

Besides the new expansion, the new season has also arrived and with it the latest Update 8.0.

Plus there are new bundles together with returning winter cosmetics to be found in the shop.

This season will last until January 12th, 10:00 a.m. CEST.

Patch Notes: Link

Draft Patch Notes: Link

Guest 4375874

Ironic since wild hunt/frost has become somewhat mediocre in only a few months. With this expansion Auberon and Eredin are pretty much done, not that they weren't already.

After 2 months of season modes which were destined to 2-0 or 0-2, this mode is very welcome.

Description:
Whenever you play a unit, spawn a 1-power copy of it at the end of its row.

nehu

Forum regular
this mode is very welcome.

not really, my first impressions were great, few crazy games

but later i figured out, that like everybody is playing ST with some broken cards from the newest expansion, which makes this seasonal mode the worst ever

not really, my first impressions were great, few crazy games

but later i figured out, that like everybody is playing ST with some broken cards from the newest expansion, which makes this seasonal mode the worst ever

Play NG Spies, then. The movement cards from ST's deck can't do too much if you flood your opponent's side with double spies to the point where they have nowhere for their cards to actually move to. Particularly if you use Duchess's Informants to copy their movement cards while clogging their side at the same time. :p

The same principle applies to MO with Noonwraiths, as you can easily spawn a LOT of rats on the opponent's board. However, this is only viable for a single round and you'll need another strategy to win a second round.

Personally, I've been having a lot of success with Harmony in this mode. Harmony usually can't generate enough points to be competitive, but the extra spawn turns every card into a weak version of Waters of Brokilon. Plus, you can rack up a lot of progress on the keyword contracts. :)

nehu

Forum regular
Play NG Spies, then. The movement cards from ST's deck can't do too much if you flood your opponent's side with double spies to the point where they have nowhere for their cards to actually move to. Particularly if you use Duchess's Informants to copy their movement cards while clogging their side at the same time. :p

The same principle applies to MO with Noonwraiths, as you can easily spawn a LOT of rats on the opponent's board. However, this is only viable for a single round and you'll need another strategy to win a second round.

Personally, I've been having a lot of success with Harmony in this mode. Harmony usually can't generate enough points to be competitive, but the extra spawn makes turns every card into a weak version of Waters of Brokilon. Plus, you can rack up a lot of progress on the keyword contracts. :)

by broken cards i meant combo idarran + snowdrop, but know i see, they are neutral 8)

once i saw 150+ points just by these two cards in 2 turns, which is quite unmatchable in 2nd round

all that moving cards are interesting, of course

by broken cards i meant combo idarran + snowdrop, but know i see, they are neutral 8)

once i saw 150+ points just by these two cards in 2 turns, which is quite unmatchable in 2nd round

all that moving cards are interesting, of course
How do these cards synergise at all? Idarran has nothing to do with drawing cards and snowdrop doesn’t spawn. Help me, I don’t see it.

How do these cards synergise at all? Idarran has nothing to do with drawing cards and snowdrop doesn’t spawn. Help me, I don’t see it.

In this seasonal, every card played spawns a 1-pt copy. When you play Idarran, she immediately spawns the 1-pt copy. So the original played card has its ability triggered and spawns a copy which triggers the first copy, etc. So play Idarran and immediately fill a row with Idarran copies. Then use Guerilla Tactics to move three to the other row. Play Snowdrop there to get the original + 4 copies, then use the orders on all 5 copies to draw 2 cards each, boosting yourself by 100 points.

EDIT - This is the reason you see a LOT of Lacerate / Yrden cards included in decks this seasonal. :p

DRK3

Forum veteran
I havent even tried Seasonal this month but it seems some insane combos are already runnin around.

Might try it later, i do remember having a lot of success on December-February seasonals last year, on WH seasonal last year it was Damien madness but i didnt use it, just countered it with ST engines spam and a few other secret aces.

I havent even tried Seasonal this month but it seems some insane combos are already runnin around.
The Idarran combos were pretty rampant the first day of the seasonal, but they're mostly countered pretty easily. Plus they use up so much card space that they can only play 4 units in a round, giving their opponent time to set up their own combos and counters.

Yesterday I was seeing a lot more conventional decks - mostly NG assimilate/spies, ST movement, and NR charges. All three of them are pretty potent and fun to both play with and against.

Plus one has been great fun so far since it started on the 8th. The Season mode stated that it would run for "34 days", so why is the season mode already after less than ten days "Dual Casting"? Maybe it's for the Yule event, but we already played this mode in Magic season in June. This also makes it very hard to complete the wild hunt seasonal mode oriented reward tree quests on time, such as the "win 15 rounds by 20 points". Wish we could've gotten to enjoy the plus one seasonal mode a bit longer.

Plus one has been great fun so far since it started on the 8th. The Season mode stated that it would run for "34 days", so why is the season mode already after less than ten days "Dual Casting"? Maybe it's for the Yule event, but we already played this mode in Magic season in June. This also makes it very hard to complete the wild hunt seasonal mode oriented reward tree quests on time, such as the "win 15 rounds by 20 points". Wish we could've gotten to enjoy the plus one seasonal mode a bit longer.

It's coming back. We get a week of dual casting, a week of battle rush, and another week of plus one as part of the Yule event.

At the end of the day, these seasonals are never about 'being creative' - they never were, probably only in the first 2 days before talented people figure things out, and less talented people copy them in masses.
From that point on it is literally a place where everyone wants to pull a few easy wins without having to stress on the ranked ladder - usually doing this with the most effective and easy setup available.

'Fun' comes down greatly whether or not you enjoy the specific game mode and some of the crazy combos one can pull off - expecting a wide variety of decks is somewhat futile.

At the end of the day, these seasonals are never about 'being creative' - they never were, probably only in the first 2 days before talented people figure things out, and less talented people copy them in masses.
From that point on it is literally a place where everyone wants to pull a few easy wins without having to stress on the ranked ladder - usually doing this with the most effective and easy setup available.

'Fun' comes down greatly whether or not you enjoy the specific game mode and some of the crazy combos one can pull off - expecting a wide variety of decks is somewhat futile.
I will admit that I frequently run into people playing the same deck(s) in each of the different Seasonals I've tried over the last six or seven months; however, I almost exclusively play with custom-built decks, and I still see a decent amount of variety from opponents. For example, look at the current Season of Magic mode that was brought back this week. Just because most people seem to cling to Symbiosis, that doesn't mean that other decks are not equally viable. I've had success with Crimes and Organics in Syndicate and Monsters, and I would imagine that a Nilfgaard Tactics deck or a Skellige Alchemy deck could work just as well.

I do wish that CDPR would create separate ban lists for each of the Seasonals to get rid of the really broken combos, like Idarran in Wild Hunt or many of the Echo cards in Magic, but even if that never happens, it's still possible to compete with somewhat original decks. Is it really too much to ask that people construct their own decks when they enter into non-competitive game modes?

DRK3

Forum veteran

Disagree - some seasonal modes really favour a certain faction or two, but most allow all factions to pull something of, and there's certain room for creativity and diversity, at least to do something different from standard.

A lot of players are like you, condescending regarding seasonal modes, and they dont want to commit much effort to it. The result is a mode where usually there is even less diversity than standard modes, however that doesnt mean those popular factions are clearly superior, the seasonal modes i've often enjoyed the most are the ones where i pick a neglected faction and can do better than the popular one without necessarily countering it - they are not worse in any way, maybe they're just less obvious.

I'd actually recommend AGAINST Symbiosis / Nature's Gift for Dual Casting anyhow. There's enough removal spells in play that you rarely keep any dryads on the board long enough for Symbiosis to matter significantly, so you can end up flooding your own side with 1-pt treants. Before I switched to another deck, I actually found myself having to discard once or twice in a long R3 because I would have run out of space to play Harald as a closer otherwise. You don't want to trade a 25-30 pt closer for a 1-2 pt treant. :)

But I agree with the sentiment that certain cards need to be banned from specific seasonals. Some cards can just be too powerful with the minor seasonal rule changes.

Top Bottom