Season of the Wolf is here!

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
Seasonal is fun. :D
I just stuffed all Geralt cards in my deck, a bunch of other witchers, and added some poison, lock, and reset. The 2-power spies are great in this mode because they die instantly...

... and so do the Cow Carcasses from Rot Tossers. Adding the latter wasn't my brightest idea. 😆 :LOL:

I would say Geralt Yrden is the best for this mode (for every deck), then Geralt Igni (ideally paired with some pings so you can setup a big play), then Geralt, then Geralt Professional (there will be plenty of 9+ targets, the multiple of 3 condition of this card is a downside here) and finally Geralt Axii.

I would say Geralt Yrden is the best for this mode (for every deck), then Geralt Igni (ideally paired with some pings so you can setup a big play), then Geralt, then Geralt Professional (there will be plenty of 9+ targets, the multiple of 3 condition of this card is a downside here) and finally Geralt Axii.
Where's Aard? :p

All Geralts except for Axii got value in my first match -- I actually managed to draw and play all six. Opponent also had plenty of them, but fortunately for me no Yrden. :D

DRK3

Forum veteran
Where's Aard? :p

All Geralts except for Axii got value in my first match -- I actually managed to draw and play all six. Opponent also had plenty of them, but fortunately for me no Yrden. :D

Oh s**t, cant believe i forgot Geralt Aard, my bad. I would probably put it at 2nd worse, only better than Geralt Axii.

Because with Aard you're doing damage to boosted enemies, which will reduce value of a possible Yrden or Igni. However, the stacking of enemies on a row is really attractive, but ive considered using Nivellen since its cheaper and has more freedom with movement (can put enemies on ranged row to melee row or even move your own units)

My opponent successfully used Aard to push my Ivo to the ranged row so he became worthless. The opponent also had an Ivo on board, but I killed him with either Geralt or Professional.

It was a bad day to be Ivo. :LOL:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I saw a lot of Ivos being played on the first days, i played it myself, but i figured he wasnt worth it, always gets countered, even worse when you use Ivo and Letho Kingslayer on Ivo, then you're open for a Geralt Igni on those 2x10pt engines.

I also recommend avoiding the regular witcher trio. 18pts for 24 provisions is way too much, specially when they're just gonna get Yrdened probably. And in this mode 18pts is not that much:
SK Drakkar is 9pts for 5p
NR Kaedweni cavalry is 10pts for 4p (not sure on the name, its the one that boosts when armor is removed)
NR Immortal Cavalry is 14pts (on 2 bodies) for 6p!

I saw a lot of Ivos being played on the first days, i played it myself, but i figured he wasnt worth it, always gets countered, even worse when you use Ivo and Letho Kingslayer on Ivo, then you're open for a Geralt Igni on those 2x10pt engines.

I also recommend avoiding the regular witcher trio. 18pts for 24 provisions is way too much, specially when they're just gonna get Yrdened probably. And in this mode 18pts is not that much:
SK Drakkar is 9pts for 5p
NR Kaedweni cavalry is 10pts for 4p (not sure on the name, its the one that boosts when armor is removed)
NR Immortal Cavalry is 14pts (on 2 bodies) for 6p!
Ciri is MVP in Seasonal in Round 1 with NR if you play her right. Álmos always free CA.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Nice tips.

I'm currently working on a challenge from the Reward Book that requires playing the three Witchers. I hope that when I use them it counts towards the score (haven't started the challenge at the time of typing).

Ive done that quest, and im working on the very last one for the cardback (win 30 seasonal rounds).

When you play the trio Lambert, Eskel and Vesemir, it counts for that quest but only once. So my advice is to play Vesemir Mentor, Lambert Swordmaster and Eskel Pathfinder, which provide much a bit more value.
Post automatically merged:

Aaaand done.

Both reward trees of this season, complete in 4 days. Im pretty proud of that, it would take even less if it wasnt for the seasonal quest 'complete 3 daily quests', that is a chokepoint on the reward tree and if you dont have previous daily quests, you'll have to wait 3 days to complete that quest.

Season of the Wolf - R. Tree Complete.jpg
Geralt - R. Tree Complete.jpg

Here are the images, with the interesting lore texts unlocked.

Last edited:
I'm such a total newcomer to seasonal trees that I hadn't realised I needed to "purchase" the trophy node before it would start counting matches. :facepalm:

DRK3

Forum veteran
So, i got bored of playing OP NR in Seasonal and decided to set myself a real challenge:

Create a deck with as little provisions as possible for seasonal, only 7prov. or less cards, not use the leader ability and still try to win!

So i made a 135 provisions, and trust me, it still puts up quite the fight vs most NG decks that rely on poison and witchers. Of course it cant compete with a good player using Yrden and leader abilities, but i still managed to win 3 out of 7 matches (although 2 of those victories were against lockdown players, which helps my challenge since i wasnt gonna use leader anyway)

By a Tie (because i forgot to lock his engine).jpg

The star of the show is obviously immortal cavalry, with 2 copies + reinforcements + necromancy, and even NR runestone to try and get a 5th one. Caravan vanguard is also a good alternative in case of a bad mulligan. And i use other cheap bronzes that give 10/11pt instantly, and that guy that boosts all copies of a unit by 1. And finally a few special resets, to counter those opponents that boost a lot.

Most fun seasonal game was against an opponent playing Mystic Echo. First round he/she played Fauve into Zoltans company for 0 points :ROFLMAO:. In round 3 he even used leader ability to play Zoltans company again although he had also played Water of Brokilon.

rrc

Forum veteran
This is the deck I created and used for the seasonal mode. Nothing too creative or different, but this combination of Geralts and Witchers actually proved to be unbeatable. I filled the seasonal tree easily and got the cardback. I am done with the seasonal mode (the borders don’t interest me, and I will rather save my RPs for other cardbacks) and created the deck guide. Feel free try it out and good luck.

DRK3

Forum veteran
This is the deck I created and used for the seasonal mode. Nothing too creative or different, but this combination of Geralts and Witchers actually proved to be unbeatable. I filled the seasonal tree easily and got the cardback. I am done with the seasonal mode (the borders don’t interest me, and I will rather save my RPs for other cardbacks) and created the deck guide. Feel free try it out and good luck.

Please dont be offended by my comments, but i just saw you use 'unbeatable' to describe your seasonal deck and i had to refute.

First, i believe you've had such success with it on seasonal, but that's because most players have no clue what they're doing without somebody telling them what's good. And i think the "Meta-Dictator Teams" havent bothered with a guide for this mode (for now at least), which explains the situation. Im guessing most people are still using NG? Even though NR is clearly superior in this mode.

Like you mentioned in your guide, Yrden, Igni and Ciri and really good for this mode, but you can use them on NR. And using Renew is definitely better than using other Geralts or Gold Witchers. The "silver witcher trio" is definitely not worth it, so are most of the neutral witchers.

The poison and cheap locks might be good, and so is the standard bearer, but NR has so much point-slam in this mode it just mocks the witchers. Honestly, the only thing that can beat a decent seasonal NR deck is some really amazing Ignis and Yrdens.

Not to mention NR is also much better at lining up Ignis, with Vissegerd and other charge units.

This seasonal mode is not the worst nor the best, but its definitely the one i've had the most success, being so easy to win with NR i put handicaps on myself (i've defeated plenty of similar decks to yours without needing leader ability), but even then i got bored and stopped playing it.

Im not playing Gwent these days, but im up for a challenge if you need proof of how much NR is superior to NG in this seasonal :cool:

Please dont be offended by my comments, but i just saw you use 'unbeatable' to describe your seasonal deck and i had to refute.

First, i believe you've had such success with it on seasonal, but that's because most players have no clue what they're doing without somebody telling them what's good. And i think the "Meta-Dictator Teams" havent bothered with a guide for this mode (for now at least), which explains the situation. Im guessing most people are still using NG? Even though NR is clearly superior in this mode.

Like you mentioned in your guide, Yrden, Igni and Ciri and really good for this mode, but you can use them on NR. And using Renew is definitely better than using other Geralts or Gold Witchers. The "silver witcher trio" is definitely not worth it, so are most of the neutral witchers.

The poison and cheap locks might be good, and so is the standard bearer, but NR has so much point-slam in this mode it just mocks the witchers. Honestly, the only thing that can beat a decent seasonal NR deck is some really amazing Ignis and Yrdens.

Not to mention NR is also much better at lining up Ignis, with Vissegerd and other charge units.

This seasonal mode is not the worst nor the best, but its definitely the one i've had the most success, being so easy to win with NR i put handicaps on myself (i've defeated plenty of similar decks to yours without needing leader ability), but even then i got bored and stopped playing it.

Im not playing Gwent these days, but im up for a challenge if you need proof of how much NR is superior to NG in this seasonal :cool:

For me NR is not superior to NG in seasonal mode.
I play whit a NG deck (whit a lot of witchers and poison, of course) and only I have lose one match because overconfidence.
And the witchers trios for me works nice. :shrug:

Perhaps all of us have had luck with opponents? Because I d´ont understand why people choose NR in this mode.
I win NR all the times using NG.

rrc

Forum veteran

I know NR is strong (not just in seasonal mode, but anywhere due to OP cards it has in all ranges of provisions). I faced quite a bit of NR too. I even once faced a Prestige 10 NR player (with the most flamboyant prestige shield) and I won. If you plan properly and commit meticulously, I believe, this deck can beat NR decks. I faced all type of NR decks; super greedy decks with Vyosogota/TridamInfantry/Anna etc. to pure point slam with 4P 10 point bronzes and all shield bronzes and gold which give ridiculous values. And I had beaten them all with this simple deck. I agree, may be if opponent thinks and plays meticulously, may be it would be hard, but I in fact faced really good players playing variety of NR decks.

Unfortunately, we can't play Seasonal with friends :( and hence I can't try to prove that this deck is good and you can't prove that you will best this deck with NR.

I disagree with Renew, I am sorry. Renew is too costly and the extra provision from Renew can be used on other Geralts. Arbalist is in the deck to deny Renew, but guess what, even if I banish Yrden or Igni, players will have other Geralts. Just that we have to plan and play carefully. I would request you to try this deck and I wish you face a really good NR player and see for yourself. If seasonal friendly game is possible, I would be more than happy to play against you though.

I'm having a lot of success and fun with a ST movement deck that is also (almost) unbeatable ;). Of course it runs a lot of geralts and tries to put all the boosted units on one row for a nice Igni or Yrden. What is also great is Novigradian Justice to get two Mahakam defenders on the board that are instantly boosted.

But I have to admit that many players don't seem or care what to do in seasonal. They just play their regular decks and go down, spamming their leader ability in first round and still lose it. And of course a lot of NG witcher decks.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I know NR is strong (not just in seasonal mode, but anywhere due to OP cards it has in all ranges of provisions). I faced quite a bit of NR too. I even once faced a Prestige 10 NR player (with the most flamboyant prestige shield) and I won. If you plan properly and commit meticulously, I believe, this deck can beat NR decks. I faced all type of NR decks; super greedy decks with Vyosogota/TridamInfantry/Anna etc. to pure point slam with 4P 10 point bronzes and all shield bronzes and gold which give ridiculous values. And I had beaten them all with this simple deck. I agree, may be if opponent thinks and plays meticulously, may be it would be hard, but I in fact faced really good players playing variety of NR decks.

Unfortunately, we can't play Seasonal with friends :( and hence I can't try to prove that this deck is good and you can't prove that you will best this deck with NR.

I disagree with Renew, I am sorry. Renew is too costly and the extra provision from Renew can be used on other Geralts. Arbalist is in the deck to deny Renew, but guess what, even if I banish Yrden or Igni, players will have other Geralts. Just that we have to plan and play carefully. I would request you to try this deck and I wish you face a really good NR player and see for yourself. If seasonal friendly game is possible, I would be more than happy to play against you though.

I tried a similar NG deck already, it was the first thing i tried as soon as the seasonal mode came out, as many did, since lots of seasonal quests motivate using a witcher deck.

But even though i had some success with it, and lots of mirror matches, i didnt feel like i was gonna win everytime, which happened when i changed to NR and started playing with my opponents, no matter what i did, i would win. I think i lost 3 times with NR, twice against other high level NR players, and only once against a NG witcher deck that managed to lineup a mega igni.

Honestly, i think using geralts that target a single target is no match for NR point slam, when EVERY SINGLE PLAY i do the entire match is worth at least 10pts, while NG has power moves with the gold witchers, but their bronzes dont attain the same value, not even with poison.

You're against using renew, which is 14prov, but you use the witcher trio that only provides 18pts (21 with Vesemir boost) for 24 provisions, and can be easily Yrden'ed which breaks even immediately, even without other units on the row.

The use of Arbalest to banish a card, could definitely be a gamechanger, against my strategy it would increase the opponents odds by a lot, but i cant judge if you're getting enough value from it.

Top Bottom