Seasonal be like

+
I got completely destroyed by what appears to be a 300 iq play in Patience is a Virtue seasonal. NR, Pincer Maneuver. Foltest. I guess I should have seen it sooner and destroyed him and not the volunteers but this opponent had some insane strategy that actually worked. He uses his ability to spawn a volunteer on melee and draw Foltest. Plays Foltest left of the volunteer. The result? 25 cards in the deck, maybe half volunteers.
He had the new Radovid in his deck too (who isn't broken at all) and replenished his leader charges.
All good, I'm still in the lead, why should I worry about volunteers in his deck? After all, they don't come out instantly like Dun Banners. He eventually passed. That was round 1.
Round 2, I just played 2-3 cards and passed him. Apparently that was a "crap move". Was pretty sure he was bluffing. I soon found out he wasn't kidding.
Round 3, the guy uses his leftover ability charges and somehow gets 2 Erlands on the board. Sure, he had one in his starting deck, and I guess he was lucky enough to get a transform on another one. But yeah, 2 Erlands on 25 cards in the deck, all units. One of them boosts for +50 and I'm left speechless. It's not that I couldn't have foreseen it, it's that Erland has immunity and even useful transformations like Professional couldn't help me lol. I also had a Vincent but...immunity. So yeah, he won.
I get it, there are people who are just too lucky with transformations. But that was something else. All planned right from the start. Probably my worst loss ever lol (sorry for the bad screen, I couldn't wait long enough before capturing, was busy slamming my desk lul)

Attachments

• 8134d672faf37a4c468b5cc618fc7219.jpg
    8134d672faf37a4c468b5cc618fc7219.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 130
One of the reasons I love Patience is a Virtue so much is the fact it can enable combos like this one, even when it is the opponent that gets the massive points. :D

Yean, NR Pincer Manuever is my favorite leader for this mode. The Foltest / Erland deck is amusing, but it's really easy to upset by destroying or moving Foltest or the bronze card next to him. That forces the NR player to constantly play bronzes in R1 to build up Erland for later, putting them at a major disadvantage. If their opponent knows what's coming, they can usually win R1 and bleed Erland in R2.

Personally, I prefer to play Pincer Maneuver as a jack-of-all-trades, responsive tactical deck:

- You can build your deck with lots of contingencies (defender, lock, purify, resilience, duelist, etc) and use your leader charges to pull them when needed.
- You can shuffle in good NR cards at the start of R2 and R3 to pull later.
- You can also use your first leader charge to shuffle in a good transformed card mid-round for use later while also pulling out something you need.
- You can take advantage of all the Amphibious Assault cards that come up.
- You have the option to play NR scenario cards and pull cards to advance all the chapters.
- You can build your deck to take advantage of some of the NR tutors that randomly appear - Roche: Merciless if you've got 1/2 BS Commandos to pull, or crewed units for Henselt to pull, etc.
- You can use your leader charges to ensure you've got a crew for a gold siege engine. I used to play Viraxis + War Elephant in short rounds for a while, but dropped to a <9 PR deck to take advantage of all the Ciri resilience cards that appear since carryover is often a deciding factor in PiaV games.

A lot of the time you may not take advantage of any of the above. But you have options beyond just playing the best of whatever cards you randomly get each turn. For me, that's a lot of the fun - trying to enforce some sense of order onto the chaos. :p

PiaV is the BEST seasonal in the game (the only one that I actually prefer to the normal game).
I mean, if Draft has a spot in the main menu, then PiV should have it too. It's pretty much superior to Draft and a ton more popular for sure. It's sad that it's going to be a very long time till we see this seasonal again. :[

DRK3

Forum veteran
Regarding the PiaV, i agree its totally awesome and it should have its own permant spot in play modes (alongside Battle Rush of course :ohstopit:)
The reason i didnt even post any new decks in the 'Deck of the Day' thread this weekend was because i was mostly playing PiaV, since it only lasts 7 days which is too short for great seasonal modes.

Regarding the PiaV PM Erland deck... sorry to break it to the OP but its not something new, its been going on in this seasonal mode since it came out the 1st time earlier this year (i believe).
Maybe you didnt notice but its likely your opponent also had way more than 25 cards in is deck, as that its not a big setback in this mode. For example you can also find enslave 7 and enslave 8 players in this mode, with 30+ cards in their decks.
Also, the addition of Radovid seriously strengthened this deck and Pincer Maneuver in general in this seasonal mode.
Getting a 2nd Erland, now that is just lucky for your opponent.

I also faced an opponent doing the exact same strategy, but he underestimated me - i knew exactly what he was doing from turn 1, and knew i could beat him - and worse, he misplayed like a moron - he tried to go for the 2:0 on a very short R2, playing that immune erland early... except my leader was reckless flurry, and i quickly dispatched that Erland.
The correct play for my opponent would have been going for a 6 card R3 and try to play as many points as possible before Erland, to minimize the chances that the 9 random pings of my leader would kill the 4pt immune Erland. :smart:

CPR, please make these nonsense seasonals not necessary for reaching seasonal rewards.

I want to collect the rewards, but on one tree the only way is to play 30 (!) seasonal rounds. Now with this "battle rush" crap, it is more frustration than joy.
I summon a unit (let's say a deathwish-one) and it does not consume the target I intended but some random crap, destroying my strategy.
With another deck, I put down a fruit of Ysgrith, and by the time it finishes the summoning animation, it does not allow me to put down my self-eater next to it. Then, because I did not pick a card, it discards my heatwave... :p
How it is supposed to be fun? Do you call this a fresh alternative? Which supposed to be entertaining? If it is annoying and more or less mandatory, then it is anything but..

2022-01-02 13_16_01-Gwent.png

Now with this "battle rush" crap, it is more frustration than joy.

Battle Rush, like every other seasonal, requires you to change your strategy. DON'T play cards that summon cards, units with orders, leader abilities with lots of charges. DO play passive engines, units with deploy abilities, pointslam units.

That's why you'll see lots of MO thrive decks, NR engine decks, etc in this mode. Decks built around cards that you can select, play, and NOT have to micromanage.

Battle Rush, like every other seasonal, requires you to change your strategy. DON'T play cards that summon cards, units with orders, leader abilities with lots of charges. DO play passive engines, units with deploy abilities, pointslam units.

That's why you'll see lots of MO thrive decks, NR engine decks, etc in this mode. Decks built around cards that you can select, play, and NOT have to micromanage.
Also don’t play on a mobile device where the interface takes more time than you are given a turn.

even better, don’t play this seasonal and wait for one that works.

Top Bottom