Seasonal Idea: Bet on the Coinflip

+
Hello,

I had an idea for a seasonal mode, and I thought I'd present it.

In the mode, there are no starting strategems and there is no random coinflip.
Instead, at the start of the round, both players choose (unbeknownst of the other player's choice) and banish* a card from their hand. The cards are shown, and the player whose banished card had less provisions, goes first.
*banish instead of discard so that graveyard plays (such as Yghren) cannot be abused.

The point is, that since there are no strategems, going second is a definite advantage, like in old gwent. However, to get that advantage, you need to banish a higher costed card than your opponent.

I like the approach because it maybe brings a different aspect as to how to build your round one strategy, and it wouldn't be one of those seasonals where because of completely new rules or spawning multiple cards, certain OP decks immediately start to dominate.

However, this is by no means refined, this is just a thrown-in idea. :)
Liabilities are for example who starts in case of a tie, and also the mode only has an effect on the start of round one and the rest is just classic gwent, so you could argue that the mode doesn't bring much new and could be in fact boring - as in: not different from classic. I'm not sure about this point, I guess some tests could prove whether it's fun or not.
But what do you think, is there place to consider something like this?

Hello fellows. Gwent veteran here, I spent 226 hours in the beta (almost I same amount I played TW3!) and had lots of fun with it. AFter trying out Gwent a few months after homecoming, I was overwhelmed. Gotta relearn the whole thing again, and it's especially tricky learning the rounds mechanic (the official gwent youtube has a whole 10 minute video just about this single core mechanic).
Since I have to relearn yet every card again, I had trouble getting back to the game. Seeing as it is coming to android however, I thought "why not" and decided to relearn the basics.
My question is, is thronebreaker a good way to do so? Does it retain some of the mechanics from the main Gwent or is it purely PvE?

... I'm quite sure this is completely off-topic and should be in another thread, but to answer your question - no, in my opinion Thronebreaker has very different rules compared to multiplayer gwent. The mulligan system and almost all the cards are completely different. Don't get me wrong, it's a great singleplayer game and I'd definitely recommend playing it, but not with the aim of learning multiplayer gwent.

I love it (y)
It's probably not enough to pass as a seasonal mode, but i really like the idea.
Betting every round for not just the last-say but Strategem as well, should be big enough change to make it a good seasonal mode.

(sorry for the late reaction)

Hmm, you're right, I like betting every round. Draws in the betting provision could then be decided by who won the previous round.
You could also add the strategem to the one who wins the bet, it would make it even more interesting :D

Top Bottom