Secrets? Depth?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@tobalno if you despise the game mechanics so much then either turn the game difficulty to lowest and breeze through fights, install game re-balancing mods, or simply stop playing the game. No dev can possibly please everyone. The consensus on the forums, as well as in most reviews is that the combat is very good. If it doesn't suit your personal taste, well, tough luck. Go play DS and bloodborne instead.

@tobalno if you despise the game mechanics so much then either turn the game difficulty to lowest and breeze through fights, install game re-balancing mods, or simply stop playing the game. No dev can possibly please everyone. The consensus on the forums, as well as in most reviews is that the combat is very good. If it doesn't suit your personal taste, well, tough luck. Go play DS and bloodborne instead.

I like you. :cheers:

The combat in Witcher is very good but I dispised the complete 100% uselessnes of magic abilitys and the unnecessarity to spend XP points into magic or Alchemy.
Now that problems are gone after some file altering and the game is real challenging and fun now in Blood and Tears difficulty because the former complete useless magic is now a nice strategic addition and diversity to the sword combat without any cheating or overpowering :)

It was time to nerf down the complete overpowered swords -85% damage for certain enemys and give the Alchemy stuff oils +85% damage for specific creatures which makes Alchemy necessary for surviving (for example complete sword uselessness when trying to fight ghosts without specter oils...it works only with oils and with the Yrden trap)
Not all people making game rebalances are cheaters that make the gameplay complete easy and stupid and dumbed down, adding +500 XP points and +9999999999999999 gold..... ;)
I am trying to make the gameplay way more complex and FORCE the player to use Alchemy and Magic stuff instead of endless whirling through hordes of enemys like a lawn mower without any necessarity to even look into the magic or Alchemy crafting / Alchemy trees..... ;)

Are there any secrets

This is the second playthrough, and the only easter egg I could find was this funny scene from a well known Monty Python movie....

I guess the honey bunny was hungry.

And the hidden vampire quest under the streets of Novigrad is fun too, when helping Triss to espape there is an Aard-optimized wall with special aardchitecture and behind it there is a vampire who wants to sleep and just can`t because of some monster researchers :D

In one of the villages of Velen I found a funny quest of a fake Witcher who bought a fake Witcher amulett medallion and tries to be a cool Witcher but runs away from a single ghoul and Geralt must fix it and protect his collegial "reputation" when the villagers arrive....

And the quest meeting Lambert who wants revenge for an assasinated cat Witcher is also found by chance somewhere when talking to Lambert hidden behind this Seven Cats bar or restaurant.

Attachments

• Monty Python 1.jpg
    Monty Python 1.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Monty Python 3.jpg
    Monty Python 3.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 62
With one point I can agree, the puzzles we have in W3 were very simple and repetitive. W2 was much better in that aspect.

To be fair, no where in the canon literature or previous games was it hinted or shown that Geralt was a treasure hunter/puzzle solver kinda character in the likes of Lara Croft or Nathan Drake, or that he would be any good in solving such ancient puzzles. Not taking a dig at his intelligence, but as his own daughter says, he's just a 'simple Witcher' and would have probably avoided or asked for help to solve any complex puzzles/riddles (considering most of them involve magic, which he has inadequate knowledge of) i.e. The entrance to the Sunstone, Avalach's lab

I don't at all wish that this game adds Tomb Raider type puzzles, but I would have loved more secret areas like that hidden cave with the fire elemental near Kaer Morhen, hidden vampire in the sewers and extremely well thought of treasure hunts like the Cat Schools bit in Novigrad and Wolf School in Kaer Morhen

Omg there are so many secrets and this game has so much depth its really amazIng. This game is one of the best games ever made and has so much to it.

You can turn off most of the helpers and all of the quests have enough description/info so you can find the quest location without the help of a map if that is your thing.

What is the point, if the other players can easily use the hints? It is foolish to falsely complicate your life. It makes sense to ask the developers to complicate the game for everyone.

oooh, sarcasm, that'll get you the help and answers you need! (yes, I'm aware of the irony)

Most of the 'depth' you're listing is personal preference. Hunting animals for health? Goddamn boring and drawn-out.
Enemies DO appear only at certain times during the day, even in the wild. You're just not looking hard enough. Same for quests, some are available only at certain times of main quest progression, day/night, ...
There's plenty of situations where you can drop in on an enemy way over your level. That's just a bollocks argument.
There's a bunch of 'puzzles' in several quests.
Show me an RPG with no junk loot. Seriously. And you can even dismantle some junk loot into useful items in this one!
I find the combat very good. Sure, there could be improvements, but overall, it's very solid.

So really, you're just whining for whining's sake. And if you've clocked 200 hours, then you obviously don't mind the game that much. I probably hsouldn't reply to such a troll post, but meh.

Just keep saying, that The Witcher 3 is perfect and has no defects to everyone. Then you throw accusations at those, who do not agree and are willing to discuss it. ::)

Dude, I respect you and all but that's a complete nonsense non-argument.

Now, regarding what someone had mentioned earlier - Dark Souls' combat perhaps doesn't have rhythm, but what does rhythm has to do with Action-RPG combat? I can say that Dark Souls combat is, objectively, more balanced and accurate than TW3's, that's more RPG-like, and I personally find it infinitely more satisfying and interesting.

Last edited:
Now, regarding what someone had mentioned earlier - Dark Souls' combat perhaps doesn't have rhythm, but what does rhythm has to do with Action-RPG combat? I can say that Dark Souls combat is, objectively, more balanced and accurate than TW3's, that's more RPG-like, and I personally find it infinitely more satisfying and interesting.

Well, than good for you and more power too you. If you like Souls combat mechanics, then fabulous, have all the fun in the world with those games. Me, however, and a LOT of people on these forums, mind you, don't actually find DS combat better then W3. That's the point. Saying that DS combat > W3 combat is an objective fact, then proceeding to forcing changes on W3 mechanics is, quite frankly, a pretty nazi move. If you like DS, great. If you don't like W3 combat, that's fine too. But forcing your opinion on others, disregarding THEIR opinion and presenting it as an objective, divine truth is utter bollocks.

TL; DR whether a combat mechanic is good or bad is a matter of opinion. Like most things in life.

Last edited:
Well, than good for you and more power too you. If you like Souls combat mechanics, then fabulous, have all the fun in the world with those games. Me, however, and a LOT of people on these forums, mind you, don't actually find DS combat better then W3. That's the point. Saying that DS combat > W3 combat is an objective fact, then proceeding to forcing changes on W3 mechanics is, quite frankly, a pretty nazi move. If you like DS, great. If you don't like W3 combat, that's fine too. But forcing your opinion on others, disregarding THEIR opinion and presenting it as an objective, divine truth is utter bollocks.

TL; DR whether a combat mechanic is good or bad is a matter of opinion. Like most things in life.
I'm sorry what does "forcing changes on W3" even means?

Something like this:

Moderators suggested showing each other more respect. Don't make the moderators be angry ponies.

I'm sorry what does "forcing changes on W3" even means?

Nevermind, the Mods are getting ponied up, and for a good reason. If you'd like to discuss Witcher's mechanics, or Dark Souls for that matter, there are appropriate threads on this forum already. So let us not offtop any further, agree to disagree, and get back on topic.

Last edited:
Dude, I respect you and all but that's a complete nonsense non-argument.

That's like asking what does rhythm have to do with dancing...it adds a satisfying sense of elegance of just performing and/or combining certain actions that Dark Souls entirely lacks in comparison with games like Wild Hunt or Arkham series.
When it comes to action games Witcher is exactly somewhere in the middle of those two play styles...Dark Souls is very engaging as it puts you in full control of your every action and you need to be completely focused on next enemy patterns and perfectly manage your resources( stamina/spell uses), but is also very weak when it comes to "fluidity" of combat, in terms of animation transition ( the backstab "game freeze" for instance) or combat interface.
Arkham games are an exact opposite in every way.
Witcher is neither as precise or refined in key aspects of either of those games...but it also doesn't share their weaknesses as well.
And that is something, a lot of "haters" are fond of overlooking.

That's like asking what does rhythm have to do with dancing...it adds a satisfying sense of elegance of just performing and/or combining certain actions that Dark Souls entirely lacks in comparison with games like Wild Hunt or Arkham series.
When it comes to action games Witcher is exactly somewhere in the middle of those two play styles...Dark Souls is very engaging as it puts you in full control of your every action and you need to be completely focused on next enemy patterns and perfectly manage your resources( stamina/spell uses), but is also very weak when it comes to "fluidity" of combat, in terms of animation transition ( the backstab "game freeze" for instance) or combat interface.
Arkham games are an exact opposite in every way.
Witcher is neither as precise or refined in key aspects of either of those games...but it also doesn't share their weaknesses as well.
And that is something, a lot of "haters" are fond of overlooking.

Fully agree.. there is a beauty in how W3 combat is done, the way Geralt dodges and moves around enemies, parrying their hits, searching for openings.. yes, you can play it as hack-and-slash on low difficulty, yet, on death march it is quite different story. Overall, combat in W3 captures well what you imagine how such combat should look like while reading the Sapkowski's books.

---------- Updated at 06:50 PM ----------

Something like this:

Moderators suggested showing each other more respect. Don't make the moderators be angry ponies.

Woow, is this really Ihuarraquax?

This, in a nutshell, is what I'm talking about...https://giphy.com/gifs/geralt-tango-1iTJ6rkMJ2lOSvvO
The only problem is combat mechanics in this game don't "push" the player to excell in it...and that is what I want CDPR to learn from From soft instead of Ubisoft.
Combat mechanics doesn't encourage versatility, punish player for his mistakes or reward skill...it's far more simpler to Quen spamm and roll, instead of learning how to play the game properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom